Selfish Ignorant Parents

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow

I have no problem with people having children. I'm sure bringing a new life into the world is an amazing thing, just not something I ever really fancy myself. Fair play to those that do though. I do have a problem with the selfish ignorant people who have children without counting the cost before hand, and think they can just continue to live their lives as before.

A prime example of this is parents who insist on bringing their little cherubs to adult domains such as coffee shops. These places are not designed for children, the children become bored and agitated. This leads to the ineveitable scene involving screaming weans and general iritation to all around them. Meanwhile the parents just continue their conversation, living with the children has probably made the immune to the nails down the black-board effect of a screaming wean, but for everybody else it just ruins the atmosphere.

That is a very specific example, but it illustrates the point that people really don't consider the consequences of having children. You may love your wee bundle of joy, bit I DON'T! If you want to have children you need to accept that other people are not going to want you near them for a good 15 years or so. Make your choice, be a parent or be an adult, but do not inflict your brats on me!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best just to drug them, leave them at home (alone) and go away and get [filter edit]'d on cheap plonk at the nearest Tapas Restaurant.

Doctor FinnBarr

I do not "inflict my brat" on anyone! She does get a little bored sitting in pubs but thanks to Mr Nintendo and his DS boredom is now a thing of the past. She was brought up in pubs and knows the score i.e. no screaming and no running around.

When we go on holiday or away for the weekend we always make sure its to a child friendly place where she can be kept occupied and has other kids to play with, and that includes when we,re off with the bike and sidecar. Lovely campsite near Venlo in Holland is the perfect example, bikers only but it has a swimming pool and kids playpark so theres always other kids to keep her occupied and the language is never a barrier. In fact, if more people were like children the world would be a far better place!

So you can sod off matey boy, where I go my daughter goes.

http://www.toerstop.nl

:confused:

yvonnejambo

So in your eyes once you have children your own life stops? Are parents expected to stay in their own home forever or do you have an age when its ok to bring children out in the world around them?

UnworthyPapaLazaru
I have no problem with people having children. I'm sure bringing a new life into the world is an amazing thing, just not something I ever really fancy myself. Fair play to those that do though. I do have a problem with the selfish ignorant people who have children without counting the cost before hand, and think they can just continue to live their lives as before.

A prime example of this is parents who insist on bringing their little cherubs to adult domains such as coffee shops. These places are not designed for children, the children become bored and agitated. This leads to the ineveitable scene involving screaming weans and general iritation to all around them. Meanwhile the parents just continue their conversation, living with the children has probably made the immune to the nails down the black-board effect of a screaming wean, but for everybody else it just ruins the atmosphere.

That is a very specific example, but it illustrates the point that people really don't consider the consequences of having children. You may love your wee bundle of joy, bit I DON'T! If you want to have children you need to accept that other people are not going to want you near them for a good 15 years or so. Make your choice, be a parent or be an adult, but do not inflict your brats on me!

Incredible. Where do you get your skinny lattes? Im bringing my laddie along.

i bet the nights fly by in your house

Unfortunately for you, many people share your view before having kids, have them and immediately don't give a flying feck. That's was happened with me anyway.

p.s. I hope you were nusring a hangover

p.p.s. I hope someone banged their buggy into the back of your legs on the way home.

Children can be a huge problem in bars and cafes etc. But don't blame the children, blame British society. On the continent children are taken places from a very young age. Over here they have no experience of being out and are then taken to places without understanding.

And there are also parents who are just as bad. The bar at my place of work has a lot of families coming in on a Saturday afternoon and they then let the kids run wild. Bar staff are forever having to stop toddlers from crawling down staircases and other dangerous situation. Normally the parents are sitting with a drink reading the Guardian supplements while Toby and his sister Georgie are creating havoc.

^^^

That is a very specific example, but it illustrates the point that people really don't consider the consequences of being a *****. You may love yourself, but I DON'T! If you want to be a total jebend you need to accept that other people are not going to want you near them ever. Make your choice, be a walloper or be a bawhummer, but do not inflict your greeting faced whining on me!

chester copperpot

Kids should never be taken into bars etc. I have occassionally nipped in for a quick pint before the football with my wee boy, but thats about it. I hate it if you have bored youngsters sitting about the pub whilst their dads are getting steaming out their naggings. Sets a terrible example to their kids.

I am one for taking kids into restaurants and coffee shops though. If you have brought up your kids correctly, they will have the manners to sit and behave whilst mum and dad enjoy a coffee, or have dinner. I had mine's at an indian restaurant with me last night, and was actually complemented by the next table on how well behaved my 2 were at the table. I dont think you can tar every child with the same brush. If I had 2 horror children though I would not take them to restaurants with me, as the OP is right, other people's screaming kids in enclosed places are just annoying.

Ray Winstone

I love how you call the "selfish and ignorant" when that is exactly what you are yourself.

I dont have kids but I hope that if I ever do I will still be able to go out etc even if they come with.

Kids should never be taken into bars etc. I have occassionally nipped in for a quick pint before the football with my wee boy, but thats about it. I hate it if you have bored youngsters sitting about the pub whilst their dads are getting steaming out their naggings. Sets a terrible example to their kids.

I am one for taking kids into restaurants and coffee shops though. If you have brought up your kids correctly, they will have the manners to sit and behave whilst mum and dad enjoy a coffee, or have dinner. I had mine's at an indian restaurant with me last night, and was actually complemented by the next table on how well behaved my 2 were at the table. I dont think you can tar every child with the same brush. If I had 2 horror children though I would not take them to restaurants with me, as the OP is right, other people's screaming kids in enclosed places are just annoying.

Sorry Andy buts thats nonsense. Are you saying screaming kids has not been brought up "correctly" ?

There is no reason why kids should not be in coffee shops, bars, restaraunts but when they are there the parents need to be responsible about it and have a bit of consideration for others. I have two boys and they know what is expected of them. If they have a spac attack about something they are talked to and if that doesn't work they are removed by my wife or I. After all nobody wants to hear a screaming kid when they are trying to enjoy a coffee/meal etc.

It ****es me off when parents take kids places and then don't give a flying **** about what they do or who they **** off when they are there. It always makes me wonder if they allow their kids to run riot in their own home.

I would not call a coffee shop an adult domain though or at least the ones I have been to. Are we talking about a coffee shop in amsterdam and it is ruining your ambience?

^^^

That is a very specific example, but it illustrates the point that people really don't consider the consequences of being a *****. You may love yourself, but I DON'T! If you want to be a total jebend you need to accept that other people are not going to want you near them ever. Make your choice, be a walloper or be a bawhummer, but do not inflict your greeting faced whining on me!

:rofl:

Best.

Post.

Ever.

So in your eyes once you have children your own life stops? Are parents expected to stay in their own home forever or do you have an age when its ok to bring children out in the world around them?

Thats what wives are for, to stay at home and look after the kids, and to bake lots of cakes.

A Boy Named Crow

Hmmm, there seem to be a lot of very defensive people on here today. I think a lot of the problem is people see the best in their own. I fail to see how I am being selfish and ignorant (as one poster suggested) because I fancy a bit of peace and quiet to relax with a coffee. I could understand if I was sitting in the park moaning about the noise, but the whole world does not belong to children. They need to learn their place, otherwise we just end up with another spoilt generation who have a sackfull of rights and no responsibilities. If you have children you are responsible for them. I just can't understand how somebody can sit there with their child howling like a banshee and not have a complete beamer. I would be mortified!

chester copperpot
Sorry Andy buts thats nonsense. Are you saying screaming kids has not been brought up "correctly" ?

Not at all mate, sorry if offence caused, that was not my point. I think parents can have some influence over their childrens behaviour in public though, me being a parent, if I had a screamer, I'd just not go out.

Didn't mean to sound all high and mighty there, not my intention at all. :)

I agree that parents should not sit there as their kids screams silly.

But, most of the op was just knobish.

Wait untill you have kids yourself & then get back to us.

A Boy Named Crow

Your first point, thank you

Your second point, how's that?

Your third point, for the reasons pointed out in the OP I have no intention!

Your first point, thank you

Your second point, how's that?

Your third point, for the reasons pointed out in the OP I have no intention!

You just came across a tad bit ignorant mate.

Don't take kids into adult domains - WTF? Be an adult or be a parent - ???.

Don't worry mate, we are all a bit ignorant regarding stuff we know nothing about.

A Boy Named Crow
You just came across a tad bit ignorant mate.

Don't take kids into adult domains - WTF? Be an adult or be a parent - ???.

Don't worry mate, we are all a bit ignorant regarding stuff we know nothing about.

Ok I can see how that may have been taken the wrong way, but I do think people need to make a choice when they have kids. It is entirely unreasonable on the rest of us for them to assume they can just keep doing what they were doing before, only accompanied by a little ball of noise.

You'd be right, I am completely ignorant of how to be a parent, I'd be the first to admit this, but am not ignorant of what constitutes good manners. That is all I am loking for.

Jambojohnnyboy

I would think what the op wrote would show that he isn't a suitable choice for a parent!

I probably do more now (with my kids) than I did before I had them.

The Old Tolbooth
^^^

:D

Absolutely brilliant Makween!! Totally agree too!

I think in the OP, a village is missing it's idiot!

The Old Tolbooth
I would think what the op wrote would show that he isn't a suitable choice for a parent!

I probably do more now (with my kids) than I did before I had them.

Umm, apologies for stating the obvious, but how can you do stuff with your kids before you had them? :confused:

chester copperpot
Umm, apologies for stating the obvious, but how can you do stuff with your kids before you had them? :confused:

I get it, ******. :laugh:

Jambojohnnyboy

You're serious? ;)

Ok, my social life is better now, since having my kids, than it was prior to having them, wider social circle etc.

Make sense now?

Walter Kidd
Ok I can see how that may have been taken the wrong way, but I do think people need to make a choice when they have kids. It is entirely unreasonable on the rest of us for them to assume they can just keep doing what they were doing before, only accompanied by a little ball of noise.

You'd be right, I am completely ignorant of how to be a parent, I'd be the first to admit this, but am not ignorant of what constitutes good manners. That is all I am loking for.

Not just ignorant but also immature.

The Old Tolbooth
You're serious? ;)

Ok, my social life is better now, since having my kids, than it was prior to having them, wider social circle etc.

Make sense now?

Sorry mate, I couldnt resist :D

Jambojohnnyboy

I have been reading the thread and am Jambojohnnyboys other half. I have a child and yes part of me agrees that when i go out for a night (without my kid) i do like being surrounded by adults and have no-one elses screaming children running round my feet. Only because being a parent and round kids alot (love them to pieces) you do need adult time and a breather from them.

I don't agree with this children cannot be taken to restuarants etc as my child behaves when out and about. Kids at the end of the day cannot get into a lot of restaurants and certainly cannot get into clubs and certain pubs. Only ones that are child friendly!!!!!

A Boy Named Crow
Not just ignorant but also immature.

This is just name calling. There is nothing immature about being offended by the ignorance of others. I put my hands up to knowing nothing about being a parent, butthat is not what this is about, it's about people who live their lives with complete disregard for those around them.

chester copperpot
This is just name calling. There is nothing immature about being offended by the ignorance of others. I put my hands up to knowing nothing about being a parent, butthat is not what this is about, it's about people who live their lives with complete disregard for those around them.

Its ok mate, WK has the child from hell, I've met him, and his name is Damien to boot.

Oh the irony. :rofl:

But you just said you know nothing about being a parent...

WK has it spot on. As did Pablo earlier on.

Ironically, I have only starting using coffee shops (of the UK variety) since my boy was born.

Me neither mate.

:fing25:

Pablo and WK have nailed it. You have not got a clue.

heartgarfunkel
I do not "inflict my brat" on anyone! She does get a little bored sitting in pubs but thanks to Mr Nintendo and his DS boredom is now a thing of the past. She was brought up in pubs and knows the score i.e. no screaming and no running around.

When we go on holiday or away for the weekend we always make sure its to a child friendly place where she can be kept occupied and has other kids to play with, and that includes when we,re off with the bike and sidecar. Lovely campsite near Venlo in Holland is the perfect example, bikers only but it has a swimming pool and kids playpark so theres always other kids to keep her occupied and the language is never a barrier. In fact, if more people were like children the world would be a far better place!

So you can sod off matey boy, where I go my daughter goes.

http://www.toerstop.nl

:confused:

Campsite looks brilliant for a holiday with bairns

davemclaren
Campsite looks brilliant for a holiday with bairns

You'll have to pretend you're a biker though.... :whistling:

Grow up, you erse.

Grow up, you erse.

Comments like yours just prove the point that the OP was trying to make about ignorant parents.I have no problem with kids in public places but its clear some parents just cant be bothered teaching them to respect other people.

Some of the comments aimed at the OP have been way over the top.

Saying that, OP, why not just go somewhere that you know where there will be no children if their behaviour annoys you?

heartgarfunkel
You'll have to pretend you're a biker though.... :whistling:

That's a good point Dave, I'm not:cheese:

davemclaren
That's a good point Dave, I'm not:cheese:

I thought it looked good as well. Then I started to think how I could leave my car 1km from the site, hire a bike nearby and ride in. I'd have to re-grow my moustache as well... :whistling:

I thought it looked good as well. Then I started to think how I could leave my car 1km from the site, hire a bike nearby and ride in. I'd have to re-grow my moustache as well... :whistling:

I wouldn't recommend that, you looked like a chuckle brother. ;)

i'm not a child lover, and i despise the fact so many bring their kids up in a way that they pander to them, and allow them to run riot.

i'm just home from my holiday where i had to suffer a child of about 1 year old scream the entire flight in the seat in front of me.... SEVEN HOURS OF SCREAMING!

in planes there ought to be a family area, where anyone with kids under a certain age sit, away from people wanting peace to read, sleep or watch a film.

in restaurants & bars, if parent want to bring kids along, fine, have a family area and sit there.

parents (not all parents i must add) need to realise that not everyone likes kids, not everyone tyhinks kids are wonderful, and not everyone wants to smell nappies, hear kids scream or indeed, watch when they lift a coffee cup or glass, so as not to have it knocked out their hands. that HAS happened to me and i got told off for "almost scalding their child" with a coffee their brat knocked out my hand!

i acknowledge people want to breed, and they want to have a social life, i even acknowledge they might want to bring their kids out while they shop, eat or indeed drink (is that legal?) but they also must realise people want to be able to let their hair down without worrying about other people who can't make their kids behave

UnworthyPapaLazaru

You were all kids once. Some havent given up the whinging yet...

I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride, to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be. (Bob Dylan)

You were all kids once. Some havent given up the whinging yet...

I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride, to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be. (Bob Dylan)

george benson actually :P

oh, and i'm a bigger child now than i ever was as a nipper, and i moan more too;)

Comments like yours just prove the point that the OP was trying to make about ignorant parents.I have no problem with kids in public places but its clear some parents just cant be bothered teaching them to respect other people.

Someone posts an ignorant, petulant, mean-spirited and ill-informed thread, I tell them to grow up and that proves their point? I beg to differ.

And to those who've yet to have children, good luck when trying to teach and 18 month-old 'respect for others'. Let the rest of us know how you get on with that, will you?

I have no problem with people having children.

See, I do. I cannot help feeling that we should stop having children. Get rid of them I'd say, no more.

Lets start with the wee bairns that were born in the eighties and onwards, leave the world for us >= 30 people.

A Boy Named Crow
Someone posts an ignorant, petulant, mean-spirited and ill-informed thread, I tell them to grow up and that proves their point? I beg to differ.

And to those who've yet to have children, good luck when trying to teach and 18 month-old 'respect for others'. Let the rest of us know how you get on with that, will you?

Okie dokie Mr X, I'm going to ask you to justify each of the terms in bold - the challenge for you being, whilst attempting to justify your use of these words, you must not prove my point!

Archived