depression

chester copperpot

Dick Dastardly
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Also liked about how we all wear different masks in different parts of your life. Very true.  

Yeah, it was interesting the way he explained it with the actor wearing the mask, it was to show the audience which character he was playing but also to remind him which character he was playing. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

rudi must stay

So things have got a bit better. New pill, amisulpride, decided Risperidone was doing nothing for me so changed. I went back to Ballenden, new doctor and I meet up with a community nurse once a week, went for a walk yesterday I chatted football and films, told the nurse about The Prestige she said she'll watch it. One of their ideas which sounds good to me was walking football, I've actually been thinking about it maybe this is sport now. Also one of my passions is photography so I got myself a camera, she's going to look into courses

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

So things have got a bit better. New pill, amisulpride, decided Risperidone was doing nothing for me so changed. I went back to Ballenden, new doctor and I meet up with a community nurse once a week, went for a walk yesterday I chatted football and films, told the nurse about The Prestige she said she'll watch it. One of their ideas which sounds good to me was walking football, I've actually been thinking about it maybe this is sport now. Also one of my passions is photography so I got myself a camera, she's going to look into courses

Good man……..I did post previously about finding something that gets you out of bed in the morning, I didn’t want to post anything on a professional or seem ITK as my knowledge in this subject is absolute zero.  Embrace the photography, it’s something I looked at but alas I don’t have the bus fares 😂……there are plenty of photography clubs you could think about joining.  What do you like to take pictures of?

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Good man……..I did post previously about finding something that gets you out of bed in the morning, I didn’t want to post anything on a professional or seem ITK as my knowledge in this subject is absolute zero.  Embrace the photography, it’s something I looked at but alas I don’t have the bus fares 😂……there are plenty of photography clubs you could think about joining.  What do you like to take pictures of?

I just love taking photos. I love the camera on my phone it finds colours and focuses in on shapes. I have the Google phone the camera is brilliant. My Instagram I took during lockdown is called edinburghduringquarantine I was fairly messed up at the time but I think I took some great shots have a look if you have Instagram

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I just love taking photos. I love the camera on my phone it finds colours and focuses in on shapes. I have the Google phone the camera is brilliant. My Instagram I took during lockdown is called edinburghduringquarantine I was fairly messed up at the time but I think I took some great shots have a look if you have Instagram

Instagram?  I have a radiogram 😂 (I’m an old fart).  It’s good your posting for others to see, keep it going.

rudi must stay

Mum just told me she sees me as nothing. She forgot her pills so she's depressed she claims, I could give her my sympathy but I can't. She has been foul to me for years, a couple of years ago she called me a lazy *******. I make adjustments for her and Dad and my brother and all I get back is agression. Thinking about going back to the flat in August, would I be happy there no but this family never tries with me so why should I try with them

CavySlaveJambo
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Mum just told me she sees me as nothing. She forgot her pills so she's depressed she claims, I could give her my sympathy but I can't. She has been foul to me for years, a couple of years ago she called me a lazy *******. I make adjustments for her and Dad and my brother and all I get back is agression. Thinking about going back to the flat in August, would I be happy there no but this family never tries with me so why should I try with them

See what support is available if you leave before you leave.   

Sometimes what is the best option for you is the hardest one.   

rudi must stay
29 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

See what support is available if you leave before you leave.   

Sometimes what is the best option for you is the hardest one.   

I have the support of the nurses and I have the pills

JudyJudyJudy
46 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Think carefully about going back to live on your own Rudi , however I do acknowledge families can be a toxic environment for some . 

CavySlaveJambo
On 23/07/2023 at 16:50, rudi must stay said:

I have the support of the nurses and I have the pills

There are also groups out there like Health in Mind who work with people on a voluntary basis.  The CMHT may also have groups too.  Worth looking into all of that too.  

Have a look at kick mental health on the Facebook thing as well guys.  Someone I know helped set it up after death of close pal.  West Lothian based but open to all.  

highlandjambo3
On 23/07/2023 at 16:12, rudi must stay said:

Some of us are a bit stuck on where to help or point you in the right direction but, you know what, it’s always with the best intentions that individuals you’ve never met are trying to help you so, your postings in here fairly irregularly, why not keep us upto date a bit more regular, let us know what your doing (even if it’s very little) how’s your eBay buying/selling going on? it’s good for you to talk (and listen) and, you’ll always get a reply.

rudi must stay
19 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Some of us are a bit stuck on where to help or point you in the right direction but, you know what, it’s always with the best intentions that individuals you’ve never met are trying to help you so, your postings in here fairly irregularly, why not keep us upto date a bit more regular, let us know what your doing (even if it’s very little) how’s your eBay buying/selling going on? it’s good for you to talk (and listen) and, you’ll always get a reply.

Hi I appreciate that. I am very depressed mate, just want my space to go back to the flat. eBay, lost my love for it, when your down that just knocks you even further people getting bargains people don't like waiting either. I just play table tennis with Mum

highlandjambo3

Hi I appreciate that. I am very depressed mate, just want my space to go back to the flat. eBay, lost my love for it, when your down that just knocks you even further people getting bargains people don't like waiting either. I just play table tennis with Mum

Ok…..appreciate the response and, it’s your decision to go back to your flat.  So, what’s the pros and cons of living in your flat, What would you look forward to every day and, what would you miss?

Buying and selling (on any platform) will always have ups and downs….making money (investing) means sometimes loosing a bit as well but that should factor into your plan…..don’t loose what you can’t afford to.

rudi must stay
23 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok…..appreciate the response and, it’s your decision to go back to your flat.  So, what’s the pros and cons of living in your flat, What would you look forward to every day and, what would you miss?

Buying and selling (on any platform) will always have ups and downs….making money (investing) means sometimes loosing a bit as well but that should factor into your plan…..don’t loose what you can’t afford to.

What I would miss living here nothing. The same conversations every day, oh you think that cos of your condition. My parents don't have the guts for the fight well let me tell you I do. I could bury this NHS and I would gladly. Two kids were playing in the park there having fun I had to leave anyone has fun I have to bolt. The doctors never gave me a choice and cos of it I feel sick every day I look like a ****ing corpse. Every bone in my body feels weak, this is trouser stuff for the psychiatrists they get excited. Whole thing is a farce mate this is how the learning disabled are treated by hospitals

rudi must stay

So I met the nurse yesterday. She was nice, she says the hard work has to come from me. Going home and isolating myself watching films is not something she wants for me. I spoke to her about the pills she said it's up to me to speak to my doctor. And he can sit there and say actually they're working. 3 years of psychiatry you learn about these doctors, you learn how slippery they are. They'd be ecting people if they were allowed

highlandjambo3
33 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

So I met the nurse yesterday. She was nice, she says the hard work has to come from me. Going home and isolating myself watching films is not something she wants for me. I spoke to her about the pills she said it's up to me to speak to my doctor. And he can sit there and say actually they're working. 3 years of psychiatry you learn about these doctors, you learn how slippery they are. They'd be ecting people if they were allowed

Ok, well that sounds positive from your nurse.  How often will you see her?  I didn’t think that being on your own would be a good move but, it sounds like living within your current group will be hard work for you as well, only you can decide which outcome is suitable for you and yes, the work needs to come from you.  If you don’t think the pills are working, why not and, have you discussed this with the doctor?  If so what alternatives are there for you?

rudi must stay
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok, well that sounds positive from your nurse.  How often will you see her?  I didn’t think that being on your own would be a good move but, it sounds like living within your current group will be hard work for you as well, only you can decide which outcome is suitable for you and yes, the work needs to come from you.  If you don’t think the pills are working, why not and, have you discussed this with the doctor?  If so what alternatives are there for you?

I'd be very happy if he waved his hands around and said this man is of not interest to psychiatry

highlandjambo3

I'd be very happy if he waved his hands around and said this man is of not interest to psychiatry

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️but he won’t so…..what options do you have?

rudi must stay
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️but he won’t so…..what options do you have?

My options are to change the pills. Maybe to clopazine which is meant to work for what I've been diagnosed with.

highlandjambo3
Just now, rudi must stay said:

My options are to change the pills. Maybe to clopazine which is meant to work for what I've been diagnosed with.

And the doctor suggested or agrees with this change?

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

And the doctor suggested or agrees with this change?

Well my last doctor thought it could help

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Edited by highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

So why didn’t he/she prescribe them then?

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

So why didn’t he/she prescribe them then?

He couldn't wasn't NHS

Greedy Jambo

Nothing worse than being depressed on a Saturday night. 

I shall be prescribing myself some alcohol and chicken wings. 

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Nothing worse than being depressed on a Saturday night. 

I shall be prescribing myself some alcohol and chicken wings. 

End of work week feeling or in general man?

I find that some weeks, the work week, even if enjoyable needs the weekend just to recover, rather than enjoy in and of itself. At least we have a game tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...
rudi must stay

So I'm really feeling bad today. My Mum and Dad do their best but at 33 I do feel I need my own space. I had a chat with the two ladies I meet who represent the NHS, seeing them on Wednesday. Hopefully they have news as it feels a good time to have a go at independence

10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

So I'm really feeling bad today. My Mum and Dad do their best but at 33 I do feel I need my own space. I had a chat with the two ladies I meet who represent the NHS, seeing them on Wednesday. Hopefully they have news as it feels a good time to have a go at independence

Well hope they can help on Wednesday Rudi 

I took my 82 years old mate out for a coffee today . He lives on his own , has no family . He said he’s lonely all the time and I’m the only person he actually talks to . I have asked him if he would maybe join a lunch club or something of that nature . Poor guy . I’ll look into what resources might be helpful for him . He’s actually very sprightly for his age . 

CavySlaveJambo
32 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’ll look into what resources might be helpful for him . He’s actually very sprightly for his age . 

Age UK have befriending schemes. 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I took my 82 years old mate out for a coffee today . He lives on his own , has no family . He said he’s lonely all the time and I’m the only person he actually talks to . I have asked him if he would maybe join a lunch club or something of that nature . Poor guy . I’ll look into what resources might be helpful for him . He’s actually very sprightly for his age . 

What area is your friend in? I know of an amazing one in east Lothian 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Fair play.  Social contact is a big deal, and it's not just about things like loneliness - it's said to help fend off depression and even dementia.

3 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

What area is your friend in? I know of an amazing one in east Lothian 

Edinburgh west 

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Fair play.  Social contact is a big deal, and it's not just about things like loneliness - it's said to help fend off depression and even dementia.

Yes I’ll see what I can do for him . All his contemporaries have passed on apart from the “ young one “ ( me ) 😂so he’s been left with no one as such , no work colleagues as retired . No family as he was originally from England 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes I’ll see what I can do for him . All his contemporaries have passed on apart from the “ young one “ ( me ) 😂so he’s been left with no one as such , no work colleagues as retired . No family as he was originally from England 

I did a pre-retirement course a couple of years ago, and one of the strongest pieces of advice they gave was that people in their late 50s and early 60s should try to expand their circle of friends and social contacts to the maximum extent possible, and to mix the ages where you can.  Why?  Because at that age the people who are older than you in your circle are all reaching the age where they'll pass on, and then over the next 10-20 years so will a lot of your peer group.  Some people respond to that by getting closer to the more limited number of people in their circle.  Others expand their circle - but that's easier to do in your fifties and sixties than later on.

In the meantime, fair play to you for keeping him connected, and hopefully between the suggestions from @CavySlaveJambo and @TallPaul you might get some useful pointers.

24 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I did a pre-retirement course a couple of years ago, and one of the strongest pieces of advice they gave was that people in their late 50s and early 60s should try to expand their circle of friends and social contacts to the maximum extent possible, and to mix the ages where you can.  Why?  Because at that age the people who are older than you in your circle are all reaching the age where they'll pass on, and then over the next 10-20 years so will a lot of your peer group.  Some people respond to that by getting closer to the more limited number of people in their circle.  Others expand their circle - but that's easier to do in your fifties and sixties than later on.

In the meantime, fair play to you for keeping him connected, and hopefully between the suggestions from @CavySlaveJambo and @TallPaul you might get some useful pointers.

All very true . This podcast / video is interesting in regards to getting older and the importance of a social life . In the last year I’ve made friends with 3 new people .  It’s so true about being involved in interests etc to expand your friendship circle and keep your mind healthy too . 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Aw shit Uly, I'm 62 now and have lost about 6 mates in the last year or so, some younger and some older, starting to think about the afterlife now. Can we buy tickets?

Lord Montpelier
12 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Is he hearts minded ?

Big Hearts have things on. Monday afternoons I think. 

54 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Is he hearts minded ?

Big Hearts have things on. Monday afternoons I think. 

He hasn’t a clue about football LM but thanks for the suggestion . 

rudi must stay
14 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Bravo mate

hisnameisdrewbusby
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

He hasn’t a clue about football LM but thanks for the suggestion . 

Not sure the football bit matters too much - Big Hearts have sessions on both Monday and Tuesday afternoons Football & Edinburgh Memories | Big Hearts This link will take you to the Big Hearts page with contact details. It does say football, but I know 1st hand that they have music quizzes and the likes.

Also Big Hearts, Cyrenians and the club itself host a Warm Welcome Lunch Clun on Wednesdays noon til 2pm, it's fee and hosted in the 1874 Bar/Cafe.

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Not sure the football bit matters too much - Big Hearts have sessions on both Monday and Tuesday afternoons Football & Edinburgh Memories | Big Hearts This link will take you to the Big Hearts page with contact details. It does say football, but I know 1st hand that they have music quizzes and the likes.

Also Big Hearts, Cyrenians and the club itself host a Warm Welcome Lunch Clun on Wednesdays noon til 2pm, it's fee and hosted in the 1874 Bar/Cafe.

85 get him involved. He could become a Hearts Historian. He'll remember the main stand big tree

21 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Thanks . 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this isn’t aloud/against board rules and please remove if so. I’m running Scottish half marathon tomorrow, which is my first official run. Up until June this year the furthest I’d ever ran was a 5k but decided to try push myself and have made it up to 10 miles. On Easter Monday I lost my dad to suicide aged 57, it was completely out of the blue and an incredible shock. He was an army veteran, ex prison guard and overall the last person you’d expect. So I am fundraising for Health in mind Scotland, I don’t mean to get the begging bowl out but with mental health the smallest thing can make a difference, who knows it can save someone’s life. I know it’s a hard time so I’m not expecting donations from anyone but if anyone wants to help a fellow jambo out you can do so at the link. With things like this though just spreading the word is powerful. Depression is real, mental health is important and suicide does happen ( far too frequently) Thank you 🇱🇻

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Mallin1?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_donation_received_-_nth_donation&utm_content=c23d3d94-07ee-4fd4-8dcd-13201b20d284&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1695499314172

been here before
Just now, AC Mallin_51 said:

Sorry if this isn’t aloud/against board rules and please remove if so. I’m running Scottish half marathon tomorrow, which is my first official run. Up until June this year the furthest I’d ever ran was a 5k but decided to try push myself and have made it up to 10 miles. On Easter Monday I lost my dad to suicide aged 57, it was completely out of the blue and an incredible shock. He was an army veteran, ex prison guard and overall the last person you’d expect. So I am fundraising for Health in mind Scotland, I don’t mean to get the begging bowl out but with mental health the smallest thing can make a difference, who knows it can save someone’s life. I know it’s a hard time so I’m not expecting donations from anyone but if anyone wants to help a fellow jambo out you can do so at the link. With things like this though just spreading the word is powerful. Depression is real, mental health is important and suicide does happen ( far too frequently) Thank you 🇱🇻

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Mallin1?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_donation_received_-_nth_donation&utm_content=c23d3d94-07ee-4fd4-8dcd-13201b20d284&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1695499314172

Good luck Chief 👍