depression

chester copperpot

rudi must stay
12 hours ago, Morgan said:

I think that, unfortunately, this is exactly what is going to happen.

It is/was.

It has been somewhat hijacked of late though and, consequently, has been moved away from its original thread title intention.

I think you all now understand how scary it is for me 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• JudyJudyJudy

• Morgan

• Captain Canada

rudi must stay

My problems cos from major trauma and a brother who does not love me and a family who don't understand me. As somebody told me I am hard to understand he's not wrong there 

8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think you all now understand how scary it is for me 

Yes, that's fair enough, but you've definitely taken over a very good and important thread.

rudi must stay
27 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Yes, that's fair enough, but you've definitely taken over a very good and important thread.

Ok the mods can delete my messages. I just see this as a safe place, it's been important for me. To realise I can change things, I'm going to stand up for myself. I was very depressed and now I'm not in okay 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Ok the mods can delete my messages. I just see this as a safe place, it's been important for me. To realise I can change things, I'm going to stand up for myself. I was very depressed and now I'm not in okay 

You are correct . It’s up to the mods to decide what postings are out of step with a thread . I have no issues with you posting on this thread as you have noted depressive thoughts etc so if you feel it makes you better then that’s fine I feel . 

I have no issue with Rudi posting on this thread.

It's about depression and he currently needs a place to vent and look for support.

This thread is about that.

We shouldn't be exclusive, but inclusive.

JudyJudyJudy
36 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's about depression and he currently needs a place to vent and look for support.

👍

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Yet, on Friday, you told Rudi to ‘enjoy his padded cell’?

If that doesn’t smack of hypocrisy, then I don’t know what does.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Yet, on Friday, you told Rudi to ‘enjoy his padded cell’?

If that doesn’t smack of hypocrisy, then I don’t know what does.

A comment born of frustration which was edited back out almost as soon as I had posted it

👍

29 minutes ago, Cade said:

A comment born of frustration which was edited back out almost as soon as I had posted it

👍

Fair enough.

I’ve done that myself!

👍

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Cade said:

👍

It was a comment that I face every day. I had a thing on my back, my brother said maybe it's cancer. People toy with me because they don't get me and I am sick of it. That's why I have no plans for life at 33, I am afraid of people when you get older you realise most people suck and that's everyone.

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

why?

Because I didn't fancy going to the post office. She dresses me, you should wear a hat and a scarf. Spends the day coming into my room what you up to? Every day she makes miserable for me and when I stand up for myself Dad comes into my room disagreed with me. This house is a prison 

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

She dresses me, you should wear a hat and a scarf.

Thats what mums do Rudi.  Worry about their bairns. I wish my mum was still hear to do that too. Maybe she is trying to show she cares about you pal

rudi must stay
50 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thats what mums do Rudi.  Worry about their bairns. I wish my mum was still hear to do that too. Maybe she is trying to show she cares about you pal

Yes trying to give me a kick up the @rse

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes trying to give me a kick up the @rse

I think so 

Lone Striker
21 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

It was a comment that I face every day. I had a thing on my back, my brother said maybe it's cancer. People toy with me because they don't get me and I am sick of it. That's why I have no plans for life at 33, I am afraid of people when you get older you realise most people suck and that's everyone.

Rudi - I suspect that your  phobia about people is at the root of your wellbeing problems, and it's resulted in you being overly sensitive to things people say to you or how they interact with you.   I also suspect your refusal to seek the help of  a GP to diagnose your physical problems  is a symptom of this phobia - nothing to do with bad doctoring or x-rays, I think your fear & distrust of people in general is to blame.     Maybe the GP you're talking about had a poor bedside manner or wasn't a friendly type, but the majority of GPs  are not like that.  

As I mentioned a few pages ago, I think you need professional help to overcome this fear/distrust of people. Could the psychiatrist help perhaps ?   But you first need to decide whether you REALLY want to try to overcome it

Do you listen to music ?  In particular, inspirational songs such as "I am what I am" by Gloria Gaynor.  Or "This is me" from the film "Greatest Showman"      They're about puffing your chest out and feeling at ease with all your flaws and faults - and proudly deciding not to hide away anymore , no longer caring  what other folk might think or say.

Give them a listen on Youtube.     And please talk to your psychiatrist about what small steps you can take along the road to improving your self-talk and confidence.   You CAN become more positive, if you REALLY want to.

Even silly wee mental health tasks such as the one in this video can make a difference.

Sometimes it pays dividends to just stop trying so hard or worrying so much and take a day or two to look after yourself.

Mental health is a huge problem in the western world and it's only recently started being taken seriously.

In the recent past you'd just have a GP give you some generic happy pills and they'd send you on your way without any follow up.

Changed times now, and for the better.

There is so much better help out there these days, for whatever kind of mental health issues you have, from the minor to the severe.

As always, the first step is realising that you have a problem.

The next step is deciding to do something about it.

That can either be relying on silly wee exercises like the one below, or talking to trusted friends or going the official path and getting medical help.

Just dinnae self medicate, that never helps.

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Rudi - I suspect that your  phobia about people is at the root of your wellbeing problems, and it's resulted in you being overly sensitive to things people say to you or how they interact with you.   I also suspect your refusal to seek the help of  a GP to diagnose your physical problems  is a symptom of this phobia - nothing to do with bad doctoring or x-rays, I think your fear & distrust of people in general is to blame.     Maybe the GP you're talking about had a poor bedside manner or wasn't a friendly type, but the majority of GPs  are not like that.  

As I mentioned a few pages ago, I think you need professional help to overcome this fear/distrust of people. Could the psychiatrist help perhaps ?   But you first need to decide whether you REALLY want to try to overcome it

Do you listen to music ?  In particular, inspirational songs such as "I am what I am" by Gloria Gaynor.  Or "This is me" from the film "Greatest Showman"      They're about puffing your chest out and feeling at ease with all your flaws and faults - and proudly deciding not to hide away anymore , no longer caring  what other folk might think or say.

Give them a listen on Youtube.     And please talk to your psychiatrist about what small steps you can take along the road to improving your self-talk and confidence.   You CAN become more positive, if you REALLY want to.

Great post people care for me

CavySlaveJambo

Hey Rudi, random idea here’s.  Well random ideas that help me. 

Write or draw things on a sheet of paper and then destroy it!    Rip it up. Make it into a paper aeroplane. whatever.  Sometimes destruction in a safe way feels good.  Even if you don’t destroy it sometimes writing or drawing or scribbling things out make you feel better. 

Do you enjoy anything crafty - sometimes some of the more mindless tasks are actually really relaxing.    

Everyday is a new day. A new start.  Fresh air is always good.  Even if you just go and stand outside for a minute or two. Baby steps are ok.  Baby steps are good. And so are days when things are too difficult.   

Communicate with your parents and brother in what way suits you. Text, email, spoken, a letter.  Make life easier for you and let them know how you are feeling.  I prefer text and email to anything else.  

CavySlaveJambo
15 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Great post people care for me

Have you heard of Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria? It is mainly a horrid ADHD/ASD thing but nearly anyone can have it…. 

rudi must stay
26 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Have you heard of Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria? It is mainly a horrid ADHD/ASD thing but nearly anyone can have it…. 

I have that yes and schizophrenia. When I look in the mirror I have never looked better the problems are in my head 

rudi must stay
35 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Write or draw things on a sheet of paper and then destroy it!    Rip it up. Make it into a paper aeroplane. whatever.  Sometimes destruction in a safe way feels good.  Even if you don’t destroy it sometimes writing or drawing or scribbling things out make you feel better. 

Do you enjoy anything crafty - sometimes some of the more mindless tasks are actually really relaxing.    

Everyday is a new day. A new start.  Fresh air is always good.  Even if you just go and stand outside for a minute or two. Baby steps are ok.  Baby steps are good. And so are days when things are too difficult.   

Communicate with your parents and brother in what way suits you. Text, email, spoken, a letter.  Make life easier for you and let them know how you are feeling.  I prefer text and email to anything else.  

The phone has been my savour in all this. I use it to make friends

9 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

Very good suggestion . There are also good videos on you tube regarding meditation . Plus there are some regarding doodling with pens and paper and just chilling out and doing that , with no specific aim. Just let your pen do the drawing . It’s quite relaxing 

14 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I have that yes and schizophrenia. When I look in the mirror I have never looked better the problems are in my head 

Well, at least modesty isn’t a problem.  😳

rudi must stay

The real reason for my problems I think is the anti-psychotics and not having a thing called dopamine. This can make you depressed, but I'd trade it for having too much like before 

38 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The real reason for my problems I think is the anti-psychotics and not having a thing called dopamine. This can make you depressed, but I'd trade it for having too much like before 

👍

hisnameisdrewbusby
22 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Rudi, I know I've brought up the sort of thing before, but on the dopamine front, one of the 5-ways to better mental wellbeing is "get active".

That doesn't mean run a marathon, it could mean walk the dog. It all depends where you're starting from. There's solid proof that exercise is a way of triggering a dopamine reaction.  I've copied a wee quote below and a link to the fuller article.

Activating the "Happy Hormone"

Physical activity activates the release of a neurotransmitter called dopamine, often referred to as the "happy hormone." Dopamine is released in the brain when you do things you enjoy, such as eating your favorite foods, shopping, engaging in sex and yes – exercising.  Dopamine creates a cycle of motivation, reward and reinforcement. When we exercise, dopamine tells our brain that this is a pleasurable experience and that we should keep engaging in this activity.

Regular Exercise Benefits Both Mind and Body: A Psychiatrist Explains (kaiserpermanente.org)

Taking little steps to gradually get active...then more active will therefore help on the dopamine front and should help reduce the motherly 'lazy' criticism. Remember if /when you do something and do get a wee buzz - bottle that feeling and use it to encourage yourself the next time you maybe can't be bothered to do anything.

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Rudi, I know I've brought up the sort of thing before, but on the dopamine front, one of the 5-ways to better mental wellbeing is "get active".

That doesn't mean run a marathon, it could mean walk the dog. It all depends where you're starting from. There's solid proof that exercise is a way of triggering a dopamine reaction.  I've copied a wee quote below and a link to the fuller article.

Physical activity activates the release of a neurotransmitter called dopamine, often referred to as the "happy hormone." Dopamine is released in the brain when you do things you enjoy, such as eating your favorite foods, shopping, engaging in sex and yes – exercising.  Dopamine creates a cycle of motivation, reward and reinforcement. When we exercise, dopamine tells our brain that this is a pleasurable experience and that we should keep engaging in this activity.

Regular Exercise Benefits Both Mind and Body: A Psychiatrist Explains (kaiserpermanente.org)

Taking little steps to gradually get active...then more active will therefore help on the dopamine front and should help reduce the motherly 'lazy' criticism. Remember if /when you do something and do get a wee buzz - bottle that feeling and use it to encourage yourself the next time you maybe can't be bothered to do anything.

I have no dopamine ever I'm on anti-psychotics

hisnameisdrewbusby
11 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I have no dopamine ever I'm on anti-psychotics

I don't know the science here, but have read that antipsychotics potentially reduce dopamine overload - that's not the same as having none at all and hopefully not going to stop some being released through the likes of exercise. I've no idea if you do or don't get any exercise, if you don't, what's the harm in trying?

rudi must stay
41 minutes ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

I don't know the science here, but have read that antipsychotics potentially reduce dopamine overload - that's not the same as having none at all and hopefully not going to stop some being released through the likes of exercise. I've no idea if you do or don't get any exercise, if you don't, what's the harm in trying?

My body aches after any weights there is no point it does nothing

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

My body aches after any weights there is no point it does nothing

There are other exercises, even a walk in the fresh air can be invigorating.

Regarding the anti-psychotics, I assume from what you've posted about low dopamine, is that the meds are designed to prevent the extreme highs & lows. 
Idea is that you end up on a nice flattish plain, with some ups and some downs, but none of the extremes. If you feel no pleasure at all, perhaps you could discuss your dosage to see if it can be adjusted to alleviate feeling too low?

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

There are other exercises, even a walk in the fresh air can be invigorating.

Regarding the anti-psychotics, I assume from what you've posted about low dopamine, is that the meds are designed to prevent the extreme highs & lows. 
Idea is that you end up on a nice flattish plain, with some ups and some downs, but none of the extremes. If you feel no pleasure at all, perhaps you could discuss your dosage to see if it can be adjusted to alleviate feeling too low?

Yes perhaps I'd like to feel good sometimes

14 hours ago, hisnameisdrewbusby said:

Good posting 

There are other "happy chemicals" which your body will produce other than just dopamine.

Serotonin, oxytocin and endorphines are also available and can be stimulated by a variety of means.

Sleeping well, eating well, light exercise, even listening to your favourite music.

Lots of small ways to trigger a hormonal response and get the happy juices flowing.

rudi must stay
On 13/01/2023 at 14:31, Cade said:

There are other "happy chemicals" which your body will produce other than just dopamine.

Serotonin, oxytocin and endorphines are also available and can be stimulated by a variety of means.

Sleeping well, eating well, light exercise, even listening to your favourite music.

Lots of small ways to trigger a hormonal response and get the happy juices flowing.

None of that works. I don't know what's happened to me but the doctors are giving me stuff that weakens me deliberatly. They are getting their revenge on me for asking for help that's my thoughts. I see the smelly and ugly psychiatrist next week and I'm going to do all the talking. I'm going to bury him and his career I do not have a psychiatric condition don't want one so he can kindly **** right off 

been here before
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

None of that works. I don't know what's happened to me but the doctors are giving me stuff that weakens me deliberatly. They are getting their revenge on me for asking for help that's my thoughts. I see the smelly and ugly psychiatrist next week and I'm going to do all the talking. I'm going to bury him and his career I do not have a psychiatric condition don't want one so he can kindly **** right off 

Surely no-one is taking this poster seriously anymore?

rudi must stay
40 minutes ago, been here before said:

Probably not you're right. Past the point of help

46 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Probably not you're right. Past the point of help

No one ever is past the point of help 

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Jesus Christ!

This has to be two different people logging into one account.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, been here before said:

It’s very hard, I grant you that.