Black people at football games

Locky

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's only offensive if your looking to be offended IMO.

It was once considered the polite thing to say and black was rude.

Just outdated. Silly thing to be offended about if said innocently.

We are all the same. White is no more or less a stupid description of me. Who cares. Only sensitive little drama queens. :thumbsup:

No, that's not actually true and I cannot work out if you are intentoionally choosing to miss the point or not but I gave you more credit for inteligence than that so I can only assume that you are.

It suggests that there are whites and that they are the standard and then all the other races except those consoidered to be white are the same as each other and in one big group beside the rest of the population of the earth, except for the whites. I know you are not that thoick so why are you pretending to be?

No, that's not actually true and I cannot work out if you are intentoionally choosing to miss the point or not but I gave you more credit for inteligence than that so I can only assume that you are.

It suggests that there are whites and that they are the standard and then all the other races except those consoidered to be white are the same as each other and in one big group beside the rest of the population of the earth, except for the whites. I know you are not that thoick so why are you pretending to be?

It's OK because Sten thinks it's alright. rolleyes.gif

It's only offensive if your looking to be offended IMO.

It was once considered the polite thing to say and black was rude.

Just outdated. Silly thing to be offended about if said innocently.

We are all the same. White is no more or less a stupid description of me. Who cares. Only sensitive little drama queens. :thumbsup:

What about the black people that are only light brown?! That's coloured in my book. THIS isn't black!

It's true. It is all how it comes across

FFS Mothy!

What part of me saying its outdated, silly, and not very PC do you fail to understand.

Your coming accross like I advocate it's use!

Your explanation of what it suggests is pretty woeful BTW.

Only one person said it was offensive. But they failed to explain themselves. Sums up my point rather well.

Could scott_jambo and Sten Guns take the personal debate somewhere else, and let everyone else get back on topic? Cheers. :thumbsup:

Could scott_jambo and Sten Guns take the personal debate somewhere else, and let everyone else get back on topic? Cheers. :thumbsup:

Or better still get a room. The tension between the two is rather uncomfortable for a true red blooded hetro like myself.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

FFS Mothy!

What part of me saying its outdated, silly, and not very PC do you fail to understand.

Your coming accross like I advocate it's use!

Your explanation of what it suggests is pretty woeful BTW.

Only one person said it was offensive. But they failed to explain themselves. Sums up my point rather well.

It suggests that people who are asian or afroican or australasian are different to white people but are all part of one big group that includes every race apart from white people. How are you failing to grasp that?

Or better still get a room. The tension between the two is rather uncomfortable for a true red blooded hetro like myself.

Sorry, this thread is about racism, not about sexual orienteering or whatever it's called. On topic please, thank yew. :thumbsup:

Sorry, this thread is about racism, not about sexual orienteering or whatever it's called. On topic please, thank yew. :thumbsup:

Its not about racism though is it? Its about why are there not any non white people at football matches at Tyniecastle and as usual the PC brigate automatically begin a crusade against racism whne its not really needed in this sense. Has anyone considered that non whites have just have more sense rather than to waste money watchin Paulo Sergios pish tactics of late?

Just saying likes...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

You call people what they want to be called.

Blacks don't like being called coloured and I think the reason Mothy gives is legit.

Doesn't matter if it's offensive or you think it's fine. It's what they want to be called.

Quite simple really.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Sorry, partly my fault too. I am just attempting to answer Sten's question from earlier though, as I always just assumed the answer was pretty obvious to everyone. I'll leave off it too though.

southside1874

What about the black people that are only light brown?! That's coloured in my book. THIS isn't black!

It's true. It is all how it comes across

Very true, but the whole being black and proud comes from the USA and as they couldn't really be thought of as africans because whole generations on and they hadn't even seen Africa, they wanted to be called blacks as an accepted term.

You can maybe see similarities in Celtic fans not wanting to be called the F word because certain sectarian folk refer to them as that. Its about picking your own label instead of using the label produced by folk who are obviously intolerant of your group.

I was kidding. :unsure:

Soz. :huh:

Back on topic and I remember going to a stand up show where the guy was basically talking about black football supporters, and how til about a few years ago black people in England were unconfrobable with the English flag and football shirt. Simple reason being because the far right steal the nations symbols like the flag and are associated themselves and there views to the the flag. At any edl or bnp party you will see these twats with football tops on and that just reinforces the stereotypes that people have about football crowds in general.

southside1874

It suggests that people who are asian or afroican or australasian are different to white people but are all part of one big group that includes every race apart from white people. How are you failing to grasp that?

But there could be differences as the OP maybe asking. There are certainly differences in the white folk who attend football matches in Scotland as the sectarian issue has shown. Some folk watch rugby or cricket as a preferred sport. Folk are different without bringing race into it and as someone has pointed out, in a thousand years from now we will all be a mixed bag anyway so that "problem" will not be here.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

But there could be differences as the OP maybe asking. There are certainly differences in the white folk who attend football matches in Scotland as the sectarian issue has shown. Some folk watch rugby or cricket as a preferred sport. Folk are different without bringing race into it and as someone has pointed out, in a thousand years from now we will all be a mixed bag anyway so that "problem" will not be here.

I had better leave it alone now mate, for some reason I am not making my point as clearly as I thought I was. I think AP and Scott have sussed my point but others on here seem to be missing it. :(

southside1874

Back on topic and I remember going to a stand up show where the guy was basically talking about black football supporters, and how til about a few years ago black people in England were unconfrobable with the English flag and football shirt. Simple reason being because the far right steal the nations symbols like the flag and are associated themselves and there views to the the flag. At any edl or bnp party you will see these twats with football tops on and that just reinforces the stereotypes that people have about football crowds in general.

I think you have to go back to after the war and the influx of folk from the "empire" to fill jobs. These folk are now second generation and are more comfortable with the whole thing. Going back to right wing extreme nationalism, they try and hijack any symbolism that makes them feel nationalistic as they are a lost cause and want the rest of the nation to feel the same as them. They actually think deep down the rest of the nation does feel like them and the loonies who don't should be shot in front of their children. A lot of football fans are intolerant and extreme with their views. They are totally unaccepting of other fans and produce extremes to be different.

southside1874

I had better leave it alone now mate, for some reason I am not making my point as clearly as I thought I was. I think AP and Scott have sussed my point but others on here seem to be missing it. :(

Sorry mate, I think you did try to make a point to a question and I've blown it up to something elsethumbsup.gif

fabienleclerq

I'd imagine that your average BNP/EDL chap is working class stock which is traditionally where football draws it's support. Add that to their lack of intelligence/education and they remind me of the old firm who we all know love to where their shirts at any opportunity.

You could also argue that it's ignorant of those races to stereotype football fans in this way!

Why are you such a passionate Hearts fan? What do you think we could do to attract more Asian/black kids to the games?

Off topic but worth mentioning that while growing up in my family Black was considered offensive so thats why coloured was used.I havent heard coloured used to describe everyone who isn't white i.e the natives of austrailia or asians only to decribe black people. It's hard for white people to discuss race because people get offended to easily by whatever word used to describe an ethnic group.(I.e Black is offensive to some coloured others)

southside1874

I'd imagine that your average BNP/EDL chap is working class stock which is traditionally where football draws it's support. Add that to their lack of intelligence/education and they remind me of the old firm who we all know love to where their shirts at any opportunity.

You could also argue that it's ignorant of those races to stereotype football fans in this way!

Why are you such a passionate Hearts fan? What do you think we could do to attract more Asian/black kids to the games?

Off topic but worth mentioning that while growing up in my family Black was considered offensive so thats why coloured was used.I havent heard coloured used to describe everyone who isn't white i.e the natives of austrailia or asians only to decribe black people. It's hard for white people to discuss race because people get offended to easily by whatever word used to describe an ethnic group.(I.e Black is offensive to some coloured others)

But Black was considered offensive in your family because black was considered as a word associated with bad so your family was probably trying to be correct in their knowledge. TBH should we really have to make something of someones race or religion as it shouldn't really matter unless you know 3 folk with the same name and you just want to describe the one with the ginger hair as thats the one you are talking about. Then again we could just say John that lives at......or John the mechanic. If John the mechanic has a large nose....i'm afraid thats the term that gets used. Do we ever move on from the school playgroundlaugh.gif

fabienleclerq

But Black was considered offensive in your family because black was considered as a word associated with bad so your family was probably trying to be correct in their knowledge. TBH should we really have to make something of someones race or religion as it shouldn't really matter unless you know 3 folk with the same name and you just want to describe the one with the ginger hair as thats the one you are talking about. Then again we could just say John that lives at......or John the mechanic. If John the mechanic has a large nose....i'm afraid thats the term that gets used. Do we ever move on from the school playgroundlaugh.gif

Black wasn't associated with something bad! It was considered offensive to black people so wasn't to be used. Also by saying John the mechanic rather than "ken big john the black guy" your doing the usual awkward white thing of feeling uncomfortable discussing race! If "john's" most distinguishing feature is he's is fat or he is black i would say " john the big/fat/black guy"

I absolutely agree that minorities having pre set stereotypes is wrong, it's just as bad as the bigots on the other side. I think it was southside who hit the nail on the head with the fact that football in general is not a welcoming sport. Might have worded it wrong, but basically follow one team and hate everyone else mentality.

I think the only way to get more people from different backgrounds is to catch them young, hearts were onto a winning with there work with the schools in Edinburgh. I would add that things will change naturally over time.

It's interesting that my cousins stay in Manchester and city have for years being giving out free tickets for matches in local schools with most the asain kids have never really bothered going, but now they are winning there is a lot of new faces in the crowd! So if you want more black and Asian people at tynie just find a billionaire to throw shit loads of money at hearts and get a winning team on the pitch!

fabienleclerq

I absolutely agree that minorities having pre set stereotypes is wrong, it's just as bad as the bigots on the other side. I think it was southside who hit the nail on the head with the fact that football in general is not a welcoming sport. Might have worded it wrong, but basically follow one team and hate everyone else mentality.

I think the only way to get more people from different backgrounds is to catch them young, hearts were onto a winning with there work with the schools in Edinburgh. I would add that things will change naturally over time.

It's interesting that my cousins stay in Manchester and city have for years being giving out free tickets for matches in local schools with most the asain kids have never really bothered going, but now they are winning there is a lot of new faces in the crowd! So if you want more black and Asian people at tynie just find a billionaire to throw shit loads of money at hearts and get a winning team on the pitch!

You interested? :whistling:

My mate from school is Hearts daft, and he's mixed race.....

Does that count?

We used to call him Incey. :thumbsup:

After the footballer or the spider?

After the footballer or the spider?

The footballer. But rumour had it that, surprisingly, he wasn't well hung, so that became a bit of a joke too. :ninja:

southside1874

Black wasn't associated with something bad! It was considered offensive to black people so wasn't to be used. Also by saying John the mechanic rather than "ken big john the black guy" your doing the usual awkward white thing of feeling uncomfortable discussing race! If "john's" most distinguishing feature is he's is fat or he is black i would say " john the big/fat/black guy"

Sorry mate but black has always been associated with bad. Black Friday, Black magic, we wear black at funerals the list can go on. I don't think in being awkward about discussing race!! I'm trying to discuss how we came about feeling awkward about it and it's really down to not feeling comfortable. I'm very comfortable interacting with all of society and accepting that all of society may not want to interact with me. I know folk as tony the spade because he isn't bothered about it and he knows its not done in a racist way. He doesn't have to differentiate because none of the community is racist. If he was having difficulty then I would notice because I'm his friend.

When I was a youngster I had difficulty approaching the whole subject because my peers had no knowledge and felt uncomfortable with the subject. I've came to the conclusion that people are people no matter what their background is. You get good and bad in all walks of life and even good intentions can be construed as bad. You have to accept yourself and the opinion of the crowd you hang with. Tony the spade is only used in a small circle and not the wider community.

I do tend to agree that any current usage of 'coloured' (assuming non-racist intent) would simply be regarded as dated. However, as far as I can recall, 'coloured' was used in the 70s/80s (in my circles anyway) to describe what I would now generalise as 'black' but then again it wasn't always that simple.

I recall just the one 'coloured' Hearts fan from back then (went to all the games ... shoulder-length hair and typically wore a Hearts cardy I believe), though I'd judge he may well have been born of mixed parentage.

I guess this brings me to my central point, although it's already been touched upon, that until you speak to somebody personally and they correct you on the label you've applied, you'll never really know whether you're being offensive (assuming you don't believe you're being so in the first place) or not.

Jam Tarts 1874

Tynecastle is not a very welcoming place for minorities of any kind, mainly due to the "traditional" element of our support.

Well Muslims and that only like cricket and blacks play basketball or sprinting so there's your answer.

Pidgeonholing. I know black guys that like football but only follow EPL.

williamgerrard

It's a fair point. In England, although black people (Afro-Carribean) are more widely represented as fans and perhaps even disproprtionately on the pitch, there is comment from time to time about how few people of Asian backround make it as players or attend games.

Football has genearally been poor at out-reaching beyond the traditional fan base to attract spectators, and indeed has often been hostile to "outsiders". In our case, it is noticable that Gorgie has a big Polish population, but I can't remember hearing a Polish accent at tynecastle, despite the presence of Adrian!.

Theres a few polish guys sit next to me in the gorgie stand

fabienleclerq

Sorry mate but black has always been associated with bad. Black Friday, Black magic, we wear black at funerals the list can go on.

I was talking about how "black " was percieved in my family not society bud.

Which is a valid point, undermined somewhat by bundling half the worlds population living between Troy and Tokyo and from Tomsk to Tamil Nadu, into the single category of "Asian"

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Which is a valid point, undermined somewhat by bundling half the worlds population living between Troy and Tokyo and from Tomsk to Tamil Nadu, into the single category of "Asian"

Valid point TC... However I was ironicaly unwilling to use the outdated -and for many considered offensive- term 'oriental' or to make the classic mistake of terming all people east of India as South East Asian, as that would be as much of a faux pas as 'coloured,' or so my ethnic Korean but born Chinese workmate would have me believe. B)

Sorry, I forget the point you were making... Was it to point out the irony of the generalisation of many people under one name? If so... Well I completely agree. My only beef however was that the term 'coloured' actuall lumps everyone who is not caucasian together as a group who are defined as being the same simply because they are not what we call 'white'... The 'Asian' term is less offensive I reckon since it actually has some accuracy -geographic- despite it's generalisation of most of the population of the earth... "coloured" on the other hand has no such accuracy to fall back upon, no? :ermm:

Tynecastle is not a very welcoming place for minorities of any kind, mainly due to the "traditional" element of our support.

Really cant be arsed reading this thread but this seems to me like the obvious reason why we dont see many ethnic minorities at tynecastle.

In one really dire game I once heard a guy shout the N word in the GORGIE stand! Only to realise after that there was a black guy sitting a few rows in front who was now wanting to murder him! The guy immediately apologised and spouted the biggest load of utter pish I have ever heard and the two guys left the game best of pals!

My instant impression of the both of them: 'What a pair of bellchiefs!'

Reading this thread reminded me of a pre-season friendly against Watford inthe 80's when John Barnes and Luther Blisset were their prominent players. They got it tight that night becuase of their colour.

At least we have come a long way in the last 20 odd years

Really cant be arsed reading this thread but this seems to me like the obvious reason why we dont see many ethnic minorities at tynecastle.

In one really dire game I once heard a guy shout the N word in the GORGIE stand! Only to realise after that there was a black guy sitting a few rows in front who was now wanting to murder him! The guy immediately apologised and spouted the biggest load of utter pish I have ever heard and the two guys left the game best of pals!

My instant impression of the both of them: 'What a pair of bellchiefs!'

So this one incident at Tynecastle is responsible for driving away black people?

Hearts don't have a well documented race problem, because there isn't one, so the so called 'traditional element' are definitely not the reason for the lack of ethnic minorities.

Racism is racism is racism (how philosophical is that?) and yet there is a huge difference between active in your face racists to the casual racists who think Jim Davidson is rather a funny chap. I don't think your average casual racist would evolve into the full on type, actively seeking confrontation, but listening to them is bad enough, and probably one of the reasons fans of differing ethnicity don't attend matches. How difficult it must feel being talked around like that at a ground and trying to pluck up the courage to confront it without provoking violence, especially if it's drink fuelled. The hassle probably ain't worth it. Couple that with the reluctance of black fans to attend games a generation back when racism was rampant and it is probably reasonable to assume that it's now inherent in black culture that football games are no-go.

On a slightly different note. I moved from the north of England 20 years back, with a strong regional accent (albeit I'm Welsh) and have never encountered any kind of intolerance either at work, or on the terraces at Junior football games. To read some of the gutter press journo's views on Ayrshire Junior football you'd think it the last place that any self respecting sane person would steer clear from. Wish they inhabited the same world I do!

I think it's not just football it happens in other sports.

I find the lack of caucasian spectators at Kabaddi very noticable.

I think it's not just football it happens in other sports.

I find the lack of caucasian spectators at Kabaddi very noticable.

:yas:

I forgot about kabaddi :rofl: used to watch it years ago on channel 4 I think it was . Great stuff

:yas:

I forgot about kabaddi :rofl: used to watch it years ago on channel 4 I think it was . Great stuff

Sure was! Channel 4 on Sundays if I recall correctly.

Edinburgh is, of course, a very 'white' city.

But in areas of the UK with large black populations, eg Arsenal, West Ham, Birmingham, Millwall, there are lots of black people playing football and talking about football clubs -- but very few going to games. And this was equally true when games were cheap.

As has been noted, it is a problem for football, not specifically for Hearts.

It also applies to white immigrant groups. Southampton made a big effort to reach out to Poles a few years ago, anyone know if that worked?

On a more positive note, Barack Obama did wear chose to wear a maroon scarf on his inauguration day

Valid point TC... However I was ironicaly unwilling to use the outdated -and for many considered offensive- term 'oriental' or to make the classic mistake of terming all people east of India as South East Asian, as that would be as much of a faux pas as 'coloured,' or so my ethnic Korean but born Chinese workmate would have me believe. B)

Sorry, I forget the point you were making... Was it to point out the irony of the generalisation of many people under one name? If so... Well I completely agree. My only beef however was that the term 'coloured' actuall lumps everyone who is not caucasian together as a group who are defined as being the same simply because they are not what we call 'white'... The 'Asian' term is less offensive I reckon since it actually has some accuracy -geographic- despite it's generalisation of most of the population of the earth... "coloured" on the other hand has no such accuracy to fall back upon, no? :ermm:

Any exclusive definition of a subset of all people automatically implies the definition of correponding subset of other people that aren't in the first set. That is an unavoidable mathematical truth so even by using the term Caucasian or white you are expressing the existence same concept that you're attaching to "coloured" .

If you're valuing geographic accuracy then you really shouldn't be using Caucasian to refer to people from outside the area of the Caucusus (Georgians, Armenians, Azerbaijani, Ossetians etc..) even in it's racial usage the term has historically applied to people from the Indian sub continent so it's probably not much use.

Ultimately the validity, appropriateness or otherwise of these terms is dependant on context. and if you're talking about racism in a predominately white population then the relevance of grouping non-white people together is clear.

Non-White people in a predominately white country may not have much in common but they do at least share one common feature which is relevant in this thread. Categorising Tamils and Turks together however is utterly useless..

Worse still, I haven't seen one eskimo at the games.

DId you hear about the Eskimo lottery?

You've got to be inuit to winuit

Archived