Black people at football games

Locky

Francis Albert

"Price,product,percentage of non-whites and maybe even role models" might play a small part but I'm sure that racism is the main reason.

There is certainly a racist element at Tynecastle and more generally. But it doesn't quite stack up for me as a reason. Short, fat, bald and incompetent people (and all four qualities now seem to be an SFA requirement for appointment as main stand linesman) not only attend in fair numbers, but also freely join in the abuse of these people. Similarly, ginger, old (where's your zimmerframe?), very tall, any foreign nationality, or anyone with a remotely distinguishing feature gets abuse. Yet when I look around (or I have to say in a mirror) I don't see many fine specimens of manhood, caucasian or otherwise. In fact the majority seem to fit quite neatly into one of the abused categories.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walk past or go in to Robbo's when we are playing Hibs or Celtic and you will hear;

Oh Edinburgh, is wonderful............ Except for Jews, Hibs and ******'s.

Not the best song to attract minorities.

Francis Albert

Walk past or go in to Robbo's when we are playing Hibs or Celtic and you will hear;

Oh Edinburgh, is wonderful............ Except for Jews, Hibs and ******'s.

Not the best song to attract minorities.

Or most other people too.

There is certainly a racist element at Tynecastle and more generally. But it doesn't quite stack up for me as a reason. Short, fat, bald and incompetent people (and all four qualities now seem to be an SFA requirement for appointment as main stand linesman) not only attend in fair numbers, but also freely join in the abuse of these people. Similarly, ginger, old (where's your zimmerframe?), very tall, any foreign nationality, or anyone with a remotely distinguishing feature gets abuse. Yet when I look around (or I have to say in a mirror) I don't see many fine specimens of manhood, caucasian or otherwise. In fact the majority seem to fit quite neatly into one of the abused categories.

I personally think it is a family issue, many black and Asian families would not be happy sending there kids off to a football game. Probably because of their own experiences of football crowds in the past, the racism might not be there as much in the crowd but it is defo there in the bars pre match. You also have the 'edinburgh is wonderful' chat which makes me want to stick needles in my eyes!

Most people go, because u dad went, and his dad before him etc, with families who have no historical ties with clubs its not a easy choice to go unless you the team is playing really well, so in terms of man u and arsenal etc there are much more black and Asian going to games.

In terms of playing football, i think you will find that in schools it is still the number 1 sport, so players with talent are spotted playing at a young age before the cynicism kicks in.

Its a fair point from the OP. Even when I go to Scotland away games I cant recall ever seeing a black person at the games.

I dont actually know any black people either, very sheltered life here in Lanarkshire.

You mean you have never had the privilege of bumping into Jose Quitongo??

Seems like I bump into him every time I enter Hamilton town centre.

Worse still, I haven't seen one eskimo at the games.

:seething:

Underlying racism in the Hearts support is to blame IMO.

Is coloured racist? Nah,depends on the context it was used.

If someone called me a coloured ******* then thats racist. But the content in the guy above used it is plain ingnorant.

World is full of sensitive souls who, majoriy are white folk lol trying to "stamp out racism" where Is IMO it hardly exists. Th

What about you mate, where are your roots from if you don't mind me asking?

As for racism at Tynecastle, I don't think it's the same as with teams like Chelsea and perhaps Rangers where there is a fascist basis of skinheads with Union Jacks tattooed on their arms. I think it's more casual but nonetheless it is still shocking. I just think the reason why we hear it at the games is because of the very small percentage of diversities at games, and therefore the people who do it feel like they can get away with it.

Then in that case it seems like a catch 22 if the reason a lot of different ethnicities don't go to the game is because of the racism. I think that is a shame if that is the case too as I'm somebody who is a great believer in everyone having a chance to do what they want. TBH I'm honoured to see someone of a different nationality or race wearing our colours as it makes me feel honoured they have came to this country and embraced our culture and picked our team.

I know it might sound a bit preachy but hey, that's just my views.

Garth Crooks once said that he awaited the day when the entire English team was black.This is by some distance the most racist thing i've ever heard.However it went by with no-one even flinching.If I said I can't wait till the entire English team is white i'd be a racist.

I despise Garth Crooks.

Garth Crooks once said that he awaited the day when the entire English team was black.This is by some distance the most racist thing i've ever heard.However it went by with no-one even flinching.If I said I can't wait till the entire English team is white i'd be a racist.

I despise Garth Crooks.

I think that could also be used just to see what the reaction was like. There's been hundreds of all white English teams so I think I'd even be curious to see how people (especially the racist folk) would react to see an all black team represent their country at the World Cup or Euro's.

I despise Garth Brooks.

FTFY :thumbsup:

It's a horrible thing to say.In my experience the only people that mention race are black people.Folk just don't give a shit.It really is not an issue.

Why not have the 11 best players play for England and not just play as they are black.Good old positive discrimination eh.

Sterling Archer

It's a horrible thing to say.In my experience the only people that mention race are black people.Folk just don't give a shit.It really is not an issue.

:really:

That's a topper

Why not have the 11 best players play for England and not just play as they are black.Good old positive discrimination eh.

Dear oh Dear. Do you really think there is positive discrimination in action for the England team?

The people that mention race most tend to be racists in my experience.

Sergio Garcia

You mean you have never had the privilege of bumping into Jose Quitongo??

Seems like I bump into him every time I enter Hamilton town centre.

I have never had the pleasure, but then again Im rarely in Hamilton these days

I think that could also be used just to see what the reaction was like. There's been hundreds of all white English teams so I think I'd even be curious to see how people (especially the racist folk) would react to see an all black team represent their country at the World Cup or Euro's.

I remember when the French far-right leader Le Pen said the reason France didn't do well in tournaments (this was after Euro 96) is because players from migrant stock (such as Zidane, Djorkaeff, Thuram, Desailly) were not motivated enough to play for France. A couple of years later, France - with their squad of players whose parents and grandparents (and in some cases themselves) were from places outwith France - won the World Cup.

Without a doubt the stupidest thing ever said on here!

By that logical there is no pedophiles just moaning kids!

FFS!

southside1874

I personally think it is a family issue, many black and Asian families would not be happy sending there kids off to a football game. Probably because of their own experiences of football crowds in the past, the racism might not be there as much in the crowd but it is defo there in the bars pre match. You also have the 'edinburgh is wonderful' chat which makes me want to stick needles in my eyes!

Most people go, because u dad went, and his dad before him etc, with families who have no historical ties with clubs its not a easy choice to go unless you the team is playing really well, so in terms of man u and arsenal etc there are much more black and Asian going to games.

In terms of playing football, i think you will find that in schools it is still the number 1 sport, so players with talent are spotted playing at a young age before the cynicism kicks in.

The father taking the son to the game is certainly a big factor. Racism must play a card. If Hearts fans had black or asian mates then we would maybe see more of them at the games. I took a bloke from China along to the Barcelona game at Murrayfield. He never asked about going to another game though. The value for money for someone without attachment to the club must be horrendous.

I dont see why the OP is getting pelters.

It might not seem very tactiful but it is a valid point: in our increasingly multi cultural society it is still rare to see others from different backgrouds attend games.

It could be as simple as the the product on show is so dire there is no appeal.

Less so down south, the crowds are more diverse. But even in the likes of Bradford where there is a large population of non-caucasians the demographic of the football fans is still predominately white males.

Agreed. Valid point, but I would have written it a bit more tactfully.

People willing to jump on the moral high ground bandwagon and leap down someone's throat at the slightest incline. Whatever makes people feel good I suppose.

While this thread, poorly started I'll admit, had it's merits (I suppose) some of the posts have gotten a bit OTT.

For goodness sake, where's the PC Brigade when they're truly needed?!

::troll:::'>

A good thread.

A number of years back one of the "Great" English Premiership Teams grounds was undergoing some refurbishment. One end was closed off and they had a montage of supporters on the hoarding which covered the building works. Not one was a black face. They tried to cover this blatant racism by suggesting it was not intentional.

In the early 1980s it was alleged that a Teacher Training College in Edinburgh discriminated against black students by not allowing them free access to the swimming pool i.e. without supervision. In an attempt to justify this it was suggested by one official that "they had a different centre of gravity and might have difficulties if not supervised." Luckily this was picked up by more enlightened staff and was soon withdrawn.

Anyone with a real interest in racism in football should find a copy of "Out of His Skin - The John Barnes Phnenomenon". Try to get the 1989 edition. This highlights how racism in football was initially ignored.

Luckily we have moved forward.

I remember when the French far-right leader Le Pen said the reason France didn't do well in tournaments (this was after Euro 96) is because players from migrant stock (such as Zidane, Djorkaeff, Thuram, Desailly) were not motivated enough to play for France. A couple of years later, France - with their squad of players whose parents and grandparents (and in some cases themselves) were from places outwith France - won the World Cup.

Great motivator, the chap Le Pen.

I find the phrase "coloured" to be offensive chaps.

Black is fine by me, and yes I do attend games. thumbsup.gif

Why is it offensive?

Sure it can be used in an offensive or racist manor, but if it's not, is it not fair to says its more outdated than offensive?

Why is it offensive?

Sure it can be used in an offensive or racist manor, but if it's not, is it not fair to says its more outdated than offensive?

3128b849cb0f5bef12140e408f7385cf.image.349x450.jpg

3128b849cb0f5bef12140e408f7385cf.image.349x450.jpg

Why are you avoiding the question?

As far as I can see its outdated and not very PC.

Genuinely like to know why it's offensive?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Why is it offensive?

It suggests that everyone who is not caucasian is a colour, while caucasians are normal and without any colour. It is a stupid term but then again white people are not white in colour and black people are not really black either...

It suggests that everyone who is not caucasian is a colour, while caucasians are normal and without any colour. It is a stupid term but then again white people are not white in colour and black people are not really black either...

So basically people look to be easily offended.

If its not used in an offensive manor. What does it really matter.

We are all the same anyway.

In fact, we are all Africans. :thumbsup:

In fact, we are all Africans. :thumbsup:

:vrface: Oh Sten.

southside1874

Why is it offensive?

Its offensive because blacks find it offensive. thumbsup.gif

:vrface: Oh Sten.

Yes?

Conceded it's not really offensive. Just outdated, silly and not very PC.

So resorting to just posting images and smileys.

Got cha!

In fact, we are all Africans David Obua. :thumbsup:

Fixed it for you .

Jambof3tornado

Many black americans I have worked with found the term coloured offensive.

Yet were happy to call the hispanics spics!!

Yes?

Conceded it's not really offensive. Just outdated, silly and not very PC.

So resorting to just posting images and smileys.

Got cha!

What a silly young man you are. thumbsup.gif

What a silly young man you are. thumbsup.gif

It's ok not back up your point, Scott.

The ability to reason, explain and debate clearly isn't natural to some.

Chin up though.

It's ok not back up your point, Scott.

The ability to reason, explain and debate clearly isn't natural to some.

Chin up though.

Sten, you are good for a laugh, but sometimes you need to chill. thumbsup.gif

Sten, you are good for a laugh, but sometimes you need to chill. thumbsup.gif

Perfectly chilled son.

Asked a genuine question as to why it was offensive.

All I got back was images, smileys and what a silly young man you are.

Not sure it's me who needs to chill. :lol:

Perfectly chilled son.

You are coming across as a bit frustrated.

Take a wee break, go back to your manor and have a lie down. :)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Perfectly chilled son.

I answered your question earlier though Sten, it suggests that there are white people and then everybody else who despite their wide ethnic diversity can all be lumped in to one group as "coloured", that's really ignorant and you must see that surely?

I answered your question earlier though Sten, it suggests that there are white people and then everybody else who despite their wide ethnic diversity can all be lumped in to one group as "coloured", that's really ignorant and you must see that surely?

Mothy, he is just after an answer from me. Not the answer to the question. thumbsup.gif

southside1874

Perfectly chilled son.

Blacks find it offensive because the white racist folk from the south of the USA called them coloured and ***** so when back in the days of addressing racism and the question was asked how Blacks can be described without offence, the answer was "as blacks"thumbsup.gif

It's only offensive if your looking to be offended IMO.

It was once considered the polite thing to say and black was rude.

Just outdated. Silly thing to be offended about if said innocently.

We are all the same. White is no more or less a stupid description of me. Who cares. Only sensitive little drama queens. :thumbsup:

I am white, yet have a red face half the time reading the shite patter on here.

southside1874

Blacks find it offensive because the white racist folk from the south of the USA called them coloured and ***** so when back in the days of addressing racism and the question was asked how Blacks can be described without offence, the answer was "as blacks"thumbsup.gif

it wont let me say orgen backwards

It's only offensive if your looking to be offended IMO.

It was once considered the polite thing to say and black was rude.

Just outdated. Silly thing to be offended about if said innocently.

We are all the same. White is no more or less a stupid description of me. Who cares. Only sensitive little drama queens. :thumbsup:

laugh.gif You have entertainment value that's for sure.

Archived