53 (Fifty three) players...?

chimpto

Check this article:

Evening News/ Scotsman Article

I've got to say that I whole heartedly agree with pretty much everything in here.

For anyone who has ever played football or ever worked in any kind of a team anywhere - can you imagine??

Imagine being the manager - you'd never be able to find any consistency in selection and if you did you'd have loads of guys moaning the face off you for a game.

Sound familiar?

Ach, the non-payment of wages is an affront to the club and a shambles, but if having 53 players over two squads isn't an explanation then i don't know what is. If the trimming down of the squad is a result of what's happening behind the scenes at Hearts, then surely that's a positive.

I just hope that a bi-product of all this is the opportunity for Mr PS to build his own squad from the inside and develop his own team from da yoof.

53 players - Jesus Christ. I'm ******* raging, that's ******* ridiculous! I just didn't realise.

Cheerio Vlad.

Thank you for the dreams (mainly, just dreams),

the entertainment and the cup.

Thank you for ensuring that we played our football at Tynecastle and for getting rid of that 70's throwback; Robinson.

Thank you for bringing back JJ and giving us hope just when all seemed lost.

Thank you for giving us Rudi, Bednar, Jankauskas and Fyssas.

Thank you for bringing European style football to Tynie (what ever you think of it) by hiring PS.

Thank you for ten games unbeaten at the start of the season,

thank you for 4-2 at Tynie versus The Hun,

and 4-0 at Hampden versus The Scum.

Thank you for dancing and monkeys and all sort of rants,

but close the ******* door behind you,

you'll always be in our chants!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Check this article:

I've got to say that I whole heartedly agree with pretty much everything in here.

For anyone who has ever played football or ever worked in any kind of a team anywhere - can you imagine??

Imagine being the manager - you'd never be able to find any consistency in selection and if you did you'd have loads of guys moaning the face off you for a game.

Sound familiar?

Ach, the non-payment of wages is an affront to the club and a shambles, but if having 53 players over two squads isn't an explanation then i don't know what is. If the trimming down of the squad is a result of what's happening behind the scenes at Hearts, then surely that's a positive.

I just hope that a bi-product of all this is the opportunity for Mr PS to build his own squad from the inside and develop his own team from da yoof.

53 players - Jesus Christ. I'm ******* raging, that's ******* ridiculous! I just didn't realise.

Cheerio Vlad.

Thank you for ensuring that we played our football at Tynecastle and for getting rid of that 70's throwback; Robinson.

Thank you for bringing European style football to Tynie (what ever you think of it) by hiring PS.

Plenty of room for cutting back then eh? It would be more worrying cutting the squad size down if we had a 22 man squad I would imagine. :thumbsup:

Get rid of Obua, Barr, Black, Suso, Kyle, Calum Elliot, Glen, Mrowiec, Balogh and maybe even Driver..

Keep Kello, McDonald, Hammill, Grainger, Webster, Zal, Jonsson, Templeton, Stevenson, Skacel, Taouil, Stephen Elliott, Sutton and Driver.. Then use our younger players Robinson, McGowan, Novikovas, and Gordon Smith.. after that we can use the really young guys like Holt, Walker, Prychenko, McHattie and any others that are coming through..

Only replace our players by the youth system.. We would have our wage bill to a reasonable size quite quickly..

the whole 53 players thing is a bit of a smokescreen though.. a lot of them are U19's etc.. still there are 9/10 we could lose and not be any worse..

Players that are kept like Sutton, Elliott, McDonald would only be kept until the younger players were brought through.. kind of like a safe guard in case the youngsters dont quite manage to make the step up..

mahgrassyshoes

Get rid of Obua, Barr, Black, Suso, Kyle, Calum Elliot, Glen, Mrowiec, Balogh and maybe even Driver..

Keep Kello, McDonald, Hammill, Grainger, Webster, Zal, Jonsson, Templeton, Stevenson, Skacel, Taouil, Stephen Elliott, Sutton and Driver.. Then use our younger players Robinson, McGowan, Novikovas, and Gordon Smith.. after that we can use the really young guys like Holt, Walker, Prychenko, McHattie and any others that are coming through..

Only replace our players by the youth system.. We would have our wage bill to a reasonable size quite quickly..

the whole 53 players thing is a bit of a smokescreen though.. a lot of them are U19's etc.. still there are 9/10 we could lose and not be any worse..

Players that are kept like Sutton, Elliott, McDonald would only be kept until the younger players were brought through.. kind of like a safe guard in case the youngsters dont quite manage to make the step up..

Yip, I'd even add players like Johnny Stewart, Matty park, J Thomson, C Thomson, M Deland to the out list. My personal preference would be to Add J MacDonald to the list and Use Ridgers as back up to Kello. I'd probably let S Elliott Contract run out and have Stevenson, Sutton and Smith as "recorgnised" strikers and have the like of Ogleby as back up.

When you look at the first team squad on the website there are a lot of players there that we've seldom seen in the first team and as much as it is harsh on them they need to go.

Charlie-Brown

22 senior players (ie above U19 level) are out of contract between january & summer. Usually about another 5 or 6 youths don't get kept on from the U19 team either.

Some players still with contracts (Barr, Sutton, Driver, Taouil, Zaliukas or Webster) might also get moved on?

mahgrassyshoes

53 players including our U-19s squad etc isn't really that bad.

On the club website there are 53 counted as the first team and then an U 19's squad beneath them (although a few are on both lists). There are a lot of players in our team we haven't seen for a long time, a lot that have come through the ranks and have been seen as too good to release/on long contracts that haven't made the grade. This summer will see a lot of these players leave as their contracts are up. a first team squad of around 20 supplemented by youth should be more than good enough to compete at our level in the SPL.

Yip, I'd even add players like Johnny Stewart, Matty park, J Thomson, C Thomson, M Deland to the out list. My personal preference would be to Add J MacDonald to the list and Use Ridgers as back up to Kello. I'd probably let S Elliott Contract run out and have Stevenson, Sutton and Smith as "recorgnised" strikers and have the like of Ogleby as back up.

When you look at the first team squad on the website there are a lot of players there that we've seldom seen in the first team and as much as it is harsh on them they need to go.

The thing about Ridgers is that he would be much better off playing first team football at East Fife or wherever than sitting on our bench on a weekly basis.. maybe next season we could get him loaned to a first division team..

Charlie.. do you have a list of the 22 players out of contract between January and the end of the season..

I would expect Kello,Skacel,Elliott & Driver to be added to your get rid of list with Templeton, Jonsson & Sutton commanding a fee. Its maybe a good thing taking two steps back to take one forward I am not happy but it must be done, as for our manager he will go also I can see a new management team of former players like ie Robbo,Mickey,Elvis or JJ and Gary as his second in command.

Grumpy.

Charlie-Brown

The thing about Ridgers is that he would be much better off playing first team football at East Fife or wherever than sitting on our bench on a weekly basis.. maybe next season we could get him loaned to a first division team..

Charlie.. do you have a list of the 22 players out of contract between January and the end of the season..

Yes here it is

1.Balogh (January)

2.Kello

3. MacDonald

4. C.Thomson

5. J.Thomson

6. Jonsson

7. Black

8. Suso Santana

9. Stevenson

10. Obua

11. Skacel (January)

12. Kyle

13. S.Elliott

14. C.Elliot

15. Glen

16. J.Stewart

17. D.Thomson

18. Park

19. C.Hamilton

20. Morton

21. Ogleby

22. Balatoni

I think only MacDonald, Stevenson & Jonsson might get offers to stay and possibly also Morton or Ogleby or Hamilton/Balatoni depending on if Barr or Sutton or Driver get moved on.

Footballfirst

22 senior players (ie above U19 level) are out of contract between january & summer. Usually about another 5 or 6 youths don't get kept on from the U19 team either.

Some players still with contracts (Barr, Sutton, Driver, Taouil, Zaliukas or Webster) might also get moved on?

You have an email :woot:

jamboinglasgow

Yes here it is

1.Balogh (January)

2.Kello

3. MacDonald

4. C.Thomson

5. J.Thomson

6. Jonsson

7. Black

8. Suso Santana

9. Stevenson

10. Obua

11. Skacel (January)

12. Kyle

13. S.Elliott

14. C.Elliot

15. Glen

16. J.Stewart

17. D.Thomson

18. Park

19. C.Hamilton

20. Morton

21. Ogleby

22. Balatoni

I think only MacDonald, Stevenson & Jonsson might get offers to stay and possibly also Morton or Ogleby or Hamilton/Balatoni depending on if Barr or Sutton or Driver get moved on.

I think if we are wise, and let so many people go to drastically cut wages, surely removing that many would leave a little to bring in a few players. What we should do is decide now who is our manager for the future (I wonder if Paulo is in a large wage and as he has a 1 year contract may be let go.) That way we have someone who holds the reigns and can plan, someone who works well with younger players and knows how to bring them through, but also someone who can play a decent style. We tell them that the players above are going, and they have x amount to spend, but it should be for players who can bring on the youngsters. The board should come out and say to the fans that due to this period of transistion we may not do as well as previous years and it may be an inconsistent year of performance due to so many younger players in the team, but if the fans keep coming we will keep our income at present level and it will benefit the future of the club, and the following year we will be in a big position to take full advantage of a more stable team with better talents coming through.

We are reaching a crucial time in the future of HMFC, with the right choices and people we can take the club to a better future, though in the short term it may look rough and results may not be great at times.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

There was someone on here a few months ago who claimed we have players on long-term contracts that we've never even seen or heard of. So really, that squad list could be infinitely long!

Loved to hear Sergio's thoughts on this.When he came here he moaned about things that happened at Sporting and now it looks like he has walked into exactly the same thing.

Charlie-Brown

I think if we are wise, and let so many people go to drastically cut wages, surely removing that many would leave a little to bring in a few players. What we should do is decide now who is our manager for the future (I wonder if Paulo is in a large wage and as he has a 1 year contract may be let go.) That way we have someone who holds the reigns and can plan, someone who works well with younger players and knows how to bring them through, but also someone who can play a decent style. We tell them that the players above are going, and they have x amount to spend, but it should be for players who can bring on the youngsters. The board should come out and say to the fans that due to this period of transistion we may not do as well as previous years and it may be an inconsistent year of performance due to so many younger players in the team, but if the fans keep coming we will keep our income at present level and it will benefit the future of the club, and the following year we will be in a big position to take full advantage of a more stable team with better talents coming through.

We are reaching a crucial time in the future of HMFC, with the right choices and people we can take the club to a better future, though in the short term it may look rough and results may not be great at times.

JiG we have already been told that the replacements will come from younger players within our own ranks. We can't afford anything else. That might mean the likes of McGowan, Robinson, G.Smith & Novikovas becoming regulars, some like Ridgers and Ogleby or Morton get recalled from loan whilst Holt, Walker, Smith & McHattie etc are prepared for first team duties.

I agree Paulo Segio & his assistants might go if they only have deals until the end of the season and somebody lower cost and probably with some Hearts background will be recruited in their place - probably a former player or coach plus Gary Locke.

Charlie-Brown

Loved to hear Sergio's thoughts on this.When he came here he moaned about things that happened at Sporting and now it looks like he has walked into exactly the same thing.

perhaps he broke a mirror? lucky white heather!

I notice there are a couple of posts that have the name c thomson listed as possible squad players <_< someone please tell me there is ANOTHER c thomson and not the one who should have been shown the door :huh:

jamboinglasgow

JiG we have already been told that the replacements will come from younger players within our own ranks. We can't afford anything else. That might mean the likes of McGowan, Robinson, G.Smith & Novikovas becoming regulars, some like Ridgers and Ogleby or Morton get recalled from loan whilst Holt, Walker, Smith & McHattie etc are prepared for first team duties.

I agree Paulo Segio & his assistants might go if they only have deals until the end of the season and somebody lower cost and probably with some Hearts background will be recruited in their place - probably a former player or coach plus Gary Locke.

I am talking about next season with bringing in a few new players, (maybe only as much as 2 or 3) whose main aim is to provide the almost football-father figures to the young players. I can see Andy Webster being kept on just to provide that to any young defenders while Zaliukas is punted.

I do wonder if that depending on how Colin Cameron or Steven Pressley do they could be our manager next season. Back in 2000 we took a chance on Craig Levein who had been at Cowdenbeath, and that was a successful move for us, being from lower league teams the compensation package should be quite small.

mahgrassyshoes

I notice there are a couple of posts that have the name c thomson listed as possible squad players dry.gif someone please tell me there is ANOTHER c thomson and not the one who should have been shown the door :huh:

Afraid not, he is still listed as a hearts player on the club website.

next season with bringing in a few new players, (maybe only as much as 2 or 3) whose main aim is to provide the almost football-father figures to the young players. I can see Andy Webster being kept on just to provide that to any young defenders while Zaliukas is punted.

I do wonder if that depending on how Colin Cameron or Steven Pressley do they could be our manager next season. Back in 2000 we took a chance on Craig Levein who had been at Cowdenbeath, and that was a successful move for us, being from lower league teams the compensation package should be quite small.

I think he's been saying all the right things recently and could be the top candidate, depending on the compensation situation.

I am talking about next season with bringing in a few new players, (maybe only as much as 2 or 3) whose main aim is to provide the almost football-father figures to the young players. I can see Andy Webster being kept on just to provide that to any young defenders while Zaliukas is punted.

Time for Darren Murray to do a Pep.

mahgrassyshoes

That's an interesting theory, do you actually think he is capable? (Not being smart, not really that clued up on the youth team)

Snake Plissken

What we should do is decide now who is our manager for the future (I wonder if Paulo is in a large wage and as he has a 1 year contract may be let go.) That way we have someone who holds the reigns and can plan, someone who works well with younger players and knows how to bring them through, but also someone who can play a decent style. We tell them that the players above are going, and they have x amount to spend, but it should be for players who can bring on the youngsters. The board should come out and say to the fans that due to this period of transistion we may not do as well as previous years and it may be an inconsistent year of performance due to so many younger players in the team, but if the fans keep coming we will keep our income at present level and it will benefit the future of the club, and the following year we will be in a big position to take full advantage of a more stable team with better talents coming through.

If Paulo Sergio leaves at the end of the season and we lose so many players, I'd like to see John McGlynn brought in and have Gary Locke as his assistant. It might take a season or two to get things in order but I think he'd do well for us if given time.

jamboinglasgow

Not too sure, if we had a director of football which he was working under and he was the coach maybe, but works best for us as the Under 19 coach, a very important role so it may be in our best interests to keep him there. Then again previous under 19 coaches we have had, McGlynn and Frail have both tried their hand at management with mixed results. I think we need to hire a director of football who can oversee all and allow them to hire the manager/coach.

Charlie-Brown

Not too sure, if we had a director of football which he was working under and he was the coach maybe, but works best for us as the Under 19 coach, a very important role so it may be in our best interests to keep him there. Then again previous under 19 coaches we have had, McGlynn and Frail have both tried their hand at management with mixed results. I think we need to hire a director of football who can oversee all and allow them to hire the manager/coach.

Your not quite getting we are totally skint and need to slash costs left right and centre to survive.

john brownlee

I think what we are seeing is progress.

new manager

a lot of dead weight

players contracts ending

players and ideas from previous management

old unsucceful structure

finding his way around SPL

new manager

needs his own players

change style

remove old tired players

remove hanger ons

fresh talent

build his team

owners concent

get the owner back on board and egnite his previous enthusiasm

take the SPL by storm

this is they way I see what is happening, maybe if the money thing hadn't reared its ugly head. the change would probably gone unnoticed to a certain extent

but thats life as the Elizabethian saloirs would say ------- who put the sand in the vaseline

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Agreed, apart from special circustances, managers do not have a very long tenure at clubs whereas U19 coaches do... i would rather we kept Darren doing what he is doing just now than give him a fast-track promotion up to the manager's office, only for him to end up leaving the club after a season or two. :ermm:

That's an interesting theory, do you actually think he is capable? (Not being smart, not really that clued up on the youth team)

i honestly dont know enough about him to make a judgement, just from the reports we get on here has the lads playing good football and they all seem to play for him, what with his success along with the other coaches at that level of brining through the player recently)

What about Darren Murray he's got an excellent track record with the wee yins and is in an excellent position to take over the reigns,just look at the 19's track record over the last two years and he knows them all well.just a thought.

If Paulo Sergio leaves at the end of the season and we lose so many players, I'd like to see John McGlynn brought in and have Gary Locke as his assistant. It might take a season or two to get things in order but I think he'd do well for us if given time.

Raith are currently 9th in Division 1. There are loads of better managers out there than John McGlynn.

Johanes de Silentio

Raith are currently 9th in Division 1. There are loads of better managers out there than John McGlynn.

Or maybe they're working with better players?

Charlie-Brown

Raith finished 2nd last season but had to cut 15 players from the wage bill and only got to bring in 4 new (including a couple on loan)

Raith finished 2nd last season but had to cut 15 players from the wage bill and only got to bring in 4 new (including a couple on loan)

Most of the teams in that division have had to make massive cuts.

jamboinglasgow

Your not quite getting we are totally skint and need to slash costs left right and centre to survive.

Of course I know we are needing to slash costs, but a director of football can be important to keep the budget right. During the summer JJ signed 4 players, he was sacked 2 games into the season. Now Serio doesn't rate at least 1 of them, 2 regularly play and 1 only gets fleeting appearnces. Thats is a waste of money from us, our new manager has a different style of play from the old manager, and thus requires different kinds of players. If we had a director of football, he has ultimate say in signing players, he hires the manager to fit the system the club plays and signs the players to fit that style. As he oversees all he can push youngsters into the first team (the ones he thinks are ready) when a manager may be averse to taking that risk as they may feel pressure of results, this is something we have suffered badly with in the last 4 years, we allowed managers to sign average players rather then saying they should promote a couple of youngsters, so the youngsters got no game time and stagnated. Mark Wotte talks about Directors of football being crucial to any future of Scottish football and I agree. If you are too fat, that you take drastic measures to get rid of it, unless you change your ways once you've taken those measures it will just come back on.

Check this article:

Sound familiar?

Cheerio Vlad.

Is this the article you meant to link? http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spl/final_cost_of_huge_squad_and_inflated_wages_at_hearts_1_1972596

Read this last night and while it's difficult to disagree with anything Bathgate says, I found myself sitting there wondering who it was aimed at because as a Hearts fan he wasn't telling me anything I didn't already know. Our squad is too big? Yes, I'm aware of this. We've offered silly wages in the past? Yep, I know about that too. We spent more than we could afford? Uh huh, we did.

....and?

I want someone to write something new and interesting and insightful about the way forward, not the incidents or errors that brought us to this point. I know it's just what happens when stories like this come up but all this "told you so" stuff is really going to start making me very narky. angry.gif

Of course I know we are needing to slash costs, but a director of football can be important to keep the budget right. During the summer JJ signed 4 players, he was sacked 2 games into the season. Now Serio doesn't rate at least 1 of them, 2 regularly play and 1 only gets fleeting appearnces. Thats is a waste of money from us, our new manager has a different style of play from the old manager, and thus requires different kinds of players. If we had a director of football, he has ultimate say in signing players, he hires the manager to fit the system the club plays and signs the players to fit that style. As he oversees all he can push youngsters into the first team (the ones he thinks are ready) when a manager may be averse to taking that risk as they may feel pressure of results, this is something we have suffered badly with in the last 4 years, we allowed managers to sign average players rather then saying they should promote a couple of youngsters, so the youngsters got no game time and stagnated. Mark Wotte talks about Directors of football being crucial to any future of Scottish football and I agree. If you are too fat, that you take drastic measures to get rid of it, unless you change your ways once you've taken those measures it will just come back on.

Spot on and I would love to have seen this done properly at Hearts.

Lyon have perfected this and should be the benchmark.

Wasn't it suggested by someone on here (I know who he is but he hasn't posted on the thread) that Jefferies stated if he was given free reign, he would have cut the squad by a third and saved the club thousands.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

How much do we pay each year towards our joint venture with HW Uni for the Riccarton training centre? If we must cut costs to such a massive extent then I hope to **** we are not thinking about chopping our involvment with that.

Yes here it is

1.Balogh (January)

2.Kello - Offer a new deal

3. MacDonald - Offer a new deal

4. C.Thomson

5. J.Thomson

6. Jonsson - Offer a new deal

7. Black

8. Suso Santana

9. Stevenson - Offer a new deal

10. Obua

11. Skacel (January) - Offer another short term deal

12. Kyle

13. S.Elliott - Offer a new deal if the money is right

14. C.Elliot

15. Glen

16. J.Stewart - Not sure

17. D.Thomson - Not sure

18. Park - Not sure

19. C.Hamilton - Not sure

20. Morton - Not sure

21. Ogleby - Offer a new deal

22. Balatoni - Not sure

I think it is a perfect time to redo our squad.. between Darren Murray and Paulo Sergio decide how we are going to move forward as a club.. have every team playing the same way.. then bring in players to our youth squads with the intention of getting them into the first team within 2-3 years..

When i think about it I don't think that Paul Ritchie, Alan McManus, Gary Locke and Alan Johnson were amazing in the youth teams but they were thrown into the deep end and did well for themselves.. you could add to that David Murie and a few others.. players can only improve by getting into the first team.. after a year you will know if they have it or not.. The likes of Jason Thompson are ok but not quite good enough to stay.. he is doing well at Dunfermline though..

I would be stunned if any Hearts fan didn't think like JJ. There are players in our squad getting paid big money for SPL wages who are no better than the players at the other non OF teams.

Celtic & Rangers run away with the league every season for one simple reason - the players they pay big wages to are vastly better than the ordinary SPL pro. Sadly for Hearts we are just paying the ordinary SPL pro big wages.

I did smile when I read this morning that Fraser Wishart was having a moan about how players are now worried about getting a club and that player power was over. This from the guy who heralded the Webster decision as a great thing for his members. Reap what you sow Wishart ya snake of a man.

Out of that list;

Stevenson, MacDonald, Jonsson and the best of the young lads there should stay. The rest barely play as it is so they can go. Personally if we having a clear out then I reckon we should probably try and keep guys like Sutton, Driver and maybe even Barr to have a nucleas of excperienced players to help the youngsters coming through. Barr should be kept on especially if Zaliukas is away. But then again just need to wait and see now.

Barr has to go.. he is the new Dennis Wyness.. he will do well at a lower team but it just hasn't and in my opinion won't happen for him at Hearts..

Yes here it is

1.Balogh (January)

2.Kello

3. MacDonald

4. C.Thomson

5. J.Thomson

6. Jonsson

7. Black

8. Suso Santana

9. Stevenson

10. Obua

11. Skacel (January)

12. Kyle

13. S.Elliott

14. C.Elliot

15. Glen

16. J.Stewart

17. D.Thomson

18. Park

19. C.Hamilton

20. Morton

21. Ogleby

22. Balatoni

Not 100% sure about the 3 in bold as they're youngsters on loan so they could well play their way into new deals but the rest that are scored out will be gone I reckon, be that because they want to leave (Kello) or we don't give them a new deal (the rest).

Kello aside, losing the rest will be no great loss and will save us an absolute fortune in wages. Wouldn't be surprised to see Driver, Barr, Templeton and Zal sold off (or given away in Barr's case) either.

Surely the gravity of the situation means we should be selling ALL the players on even the most modest salary. From the list above i'd probably keep Black and Mroviec as they would good for a bottom 6 scrap when we slide down the table but i would also be trying to sell Kello, Zaliukas, Skacel and possibly even Webster.

Someone mentioned keeping Ridgers as back up to Kello and selling Jamie Mac. I would say we are so skint we need to be keeping Ridgers as back up to Macdonald and selling the other keepers who will clearly be higher earners.

Snake Plissken

Not 100% sure about the 3 in bold as they're youngsters on loan so they could well play their way into new deals but the rest that are scored out will be gone I reckon, be that because they want to leave (Kello) or we don't give them a new deal (the rest).

Kello aside, losing the rest will be no great loss and will save us an absolute fortune in wages. Wouldn't be surprised to see Driver, Barr, Templeton and Zal sold off (or given away in Barr's case) either.

If the entire list was released at the end of the season, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I'd love Kello to stay and it would be nice to keep Jonsson, Stevenson and Skacel but that's really about it.

If we can't keep Kello then it would make sense to retain MacDonald for another year, he's not the best but he's shown he can be a reasonable SPL keeper and he won't be on a huge wage. It would be a straight fight between him and Ridgers for next season, Kello in an ideal world but I'd accept the other scenario.

Archived