u19s derby

davie1980

Saw Hearts play a lot better to be honest but a lovely ending, Tapping went a bit mental over what?. Worst player on park Paterson-never a centre half, best players Holt/Stanton when he went off Hubs lost their way, not sure about full backs, early days but.

Tappy went mental because the hibs number 4 stamped on his foot off the ball, the same number 4 was also trying to have a go at our number 4 (paterson) in the 1st half.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hibs have an advantage over us in bringing through youth, with their tight chairman and bottom 6 status they have been able to promote youth.

Where as with us generally being in and around the euro spots it?s been impossible to throw youngsters into important matches.

Make no mistake the jump from 19?s to first team, even in a poor SPL, is a huge. The speed of the game, the physical nature of SPL football and the schedule of games are very demanding on young players.

I?m not convinced playing a B team in the 3rd division will ready these guys, the natural progression is through a reserve league where they will play against SPL players.

The league set up, in terms of number of teams, needs to change, coupled with reserve football to allow youth to come through. It can only benefit Scottish football as a whole.

The time is right for clubs like Hearts as we always ran the risk of developing young players only to lose them to the old firm, they simply don?t have the cash to do so these days or certainly not to the extent they used to and we have the new laws which guarantees some compensation.

Footballfirst

Apologies if already mentioned, but what sort of crowd was at the game?

It was the biggest crowd I've seen a Riccarton for a while, maybe up to about 400. Had the weather been better we might have had more.

Hibs have an advantage over us in bringing through youth, with their tight chairman and bottom 6 status they have been able to promote youth.

Where as with us generally being in and around the euro spots it?s been impossible to throw youngsters into important matches.

Make no mistake the jump from 19?s to first team, even in a poor SPL, is a huge. The speed of the game, the physical nature of SPL football and the schedule of games are very demanding on young players.

I?m not convinced playing a B team in the 3rd division will ready these guys, the natural progression is through a reserve league where they will play against SPL players.

The league set up, in terms of number of teams, needs to change, coupled with reserve football to allow youth to come through. It can only benefit Scottish football as a whole.

The time is right for clubs like Hearts as we always ran the risk of developing young players only to lose them to the old firm, they simply don?t have the cash to do so these days or certainly not to the extent they used to and we have the new laws which guarantees some compensation.

No big deal. I'd rather be 3rd top with no youths than 3rd bottom with a team full of youths. Winning is what it is all about.

No big deal. I'd rather be 3rd top with no youths than 3rd bottom with a team full of youths. Winning is what it is all about.

In a nutshell mate but i still don`t see Rudy`s point where Hibs are at an advantage bringing through youths?

Surely it comes down to many factors, one being having good coaches at the club preparing the players physically as well as mentally to prepare and meet the standards expected at that club?

Some are infatuated with who`ll bring more young players through......it`ll always be down to how good they are for me.

Hibs supposed conveyor belt of talent from 6,7 years ago took them where exactly? While we had players brought through at our club who challenged for a league title and won a BIG cup.......

And since then, how many times have Hibs finished above Hearts in , say, the last decade? Its about standards. Hibs have had to force through more young players for financial reasons but it doesn`t mean they are world beaters.....just good enough to pass as SPL players. .......if yer lucky.

Yip I agree, but without a next step for the U19's between youth football and first team - we maybe don't see enough of them developing. Victims of our own success perhaps.

In a nutshell mate but i still don`t see Rudy`s point where Hibs are at an advantage bringing through youths?

Surely it comes down to many factors, one being having good coaches at the club preparing the players physically as well as mentally to prepare and meet the standards expected at that club?

Some are infatuated with who`ll bring more young players through......it`ll always be down to how good they are for me.

Hibs supposed conveyor belt of talent from 6,7 years ago took them where exactly? While we had players brought through at our club who challenged for a league title and won a BIG cup.......

And since then, how many times have Hibs finished above Hearts in , say, the last decade? Its about standards. Hibs have had to force through more young players for financial reasons but it doesn`t mean they are world beaters.....just good enough to pass as SPL players. .......if yer lucky.

Ok, what I'm saying is without a reserve league I don't think there is natural progression for the kids, take Gary Glen as an example - showed great promise - most thought he'd make it but he couldn't force his way through - I think with more games at that next level we may have seen more from him.

My point about Hibs is they promote more youngsters - however as I also said its often too big a gap to cross into first team SPL football, HIbs will every so often find a good player, Hanlon may be that one this time around - however more often than not these kids are ruined by the ridiculous league set up we have.

Its a big gamble for clubs to give these lads full time contracts at that age, and I think Scottish football in general loses out with this system.

R.E The last few posts are totally daft,the fact of the matters is that spl clubs are too scared to upset the apple cart and are still working in a old fashioned way,yes there are some very good players in spl league,but dont u think there is too many hangers on that are picking up a pay packet every month on our back probably.just take a look at the european clubs including some English clubs they bring there youngsters straight thru into main line footie and succeed the problem with scotland is we are stuck in the 60/70s and want to wake up and see what the good clubs arre doing , rooney,inniester(sp),fabrecas,thierry henry etc etc all played for the first team at a young age,Man u average age is 21,arsenal 24 etc etc even rugby teams like the all blacks have an average age of 22 world beaters .we need to get young yins in,they are hungrier and fear nothing,unlike the trash that mostly adorn our spl,To the last posters---Take the time to take in a 19s/17s spl game and see the pace for yourself far faster than watching spl teams play let alone our national side .the point i,m getting at with my rant(sorry) is we need to move on and get the youngsters in there and simply we are not.Falkirk beat The mighty Gers the other day with team that was averaging about 20 years old,get rid of the trash.

Is Paterson the striker who is deputising at centre half?

If it is, then you've taken your gripe at being binned by Hearts a bit too far. That is the broad assumption on here that you were let go at youth level.

If you want your revenge, instead of always typing vitriol about our youngsters, why don't you show Hearts were wrong to bin you bylaying a blinder against our first team one day.

I take it you weren't playing this weekend as you've not quite made Craig Levein's international plans just yet.

Don't let prancer get to you, Detty.

I know its a day late but I thought I might put a few thoughts on the game. I thought Hearts were overall the better team and it would have been undeserved if they lost the match. Hearts dominated the midfield and thus it was not a surprise that they got their second goal through a punt up the pitch. Hibs to be fair look to have some decent attacking players and I would imagine they will go up to the first team by the end of the season. Another victory against a rival team, the top four of the SPL U19 league will be (in no particular order) Hearts, Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs, Hearts have beaten two of those three as well as Rangers, Motherwell (who are currentlty fifth,) Dundee United (who are currently seventh) and Kilmarnock (who are currently eighth.)

In terms of players, Holt showed his usual class and took his goal very well, Fraser Mullen looked his usual decent self, Jamie Walker is showing some of the ability he had before he got injured and it is great to have him back. It was the first time I had seen Callum Tapping (with his original nickname of Tappy, surely call him dancer) and I was impressed, he was very good with a slide tackle (though it will be interesting to see if he can still do it on a dry pitch) his passing most of the time was decent and always tried to get forward. I have heard people say he is a similar style of player to Scott Robinson and after seeing him play I would fully agree. I did think that in an unnatural position as centre back Callum Patterson was a bit hit and miss at times, but he demonstrated when moved up front his goal scoring prowness which has brought him 6 goals in 7 games for the under 19s. Thought Jack Hamilton did not do too much wrong, Brad Mckay though solid for most of the match, I thought he could have done much better with Hibs second goal as he misjudged the flight of the ball when jumping for it.

good !

R.E The last few posts are totally daft,the fact of the matters is that spl clubs are too scared to upset the apple cart and are still working in a old fashioned way,yes there are some very good players in spl league,but dont u think there is too many hangers on that are picking up a pay packet every month on our back probably.just take a look at the european clubs including some English clubs they bring there youngsters straight thru into main line footie and succeed the problem with scotland is we are stuck in the 60/70s and want to wake up and see what the good clubs arre doing , rooney,inniester(sp),fabrecas,thierry henry etc etc all played for the first team at a young age,Man u average age is 21,arsenal 24 etc etc even rugby teams like the all blacks have an average age of 22 world beaters .we need to get young yins in,they are hungrier and fear nothing,unlike the trash that mostly adorn our spl,To the last posters---Take the time to take in a 19s/17s spl game and see the pace for yourself far faster than watching spl teams play let alone our national side .the point i,m getting at with my rant(sorry) is we need to move on and get the youngsters in there and simply we are not.Falkirk beat The mighty Gers the other day with team that was averaging about 20 years old,get rid of the trash.

Do you think Henry, Iniesta etc were thrown in along with another 5 or 6 youngsters at one time? Players are getting their chance all the time at Hearts and the fact is , some aren`t taking it. Alot of it is to do with attitude and the life they lead off the park.

Some are world beaters at youth level then think they have made it once they get to the first team....some don`t maintain the right attitude away from the training park and sometimes on it too. They get the bigger wage, a bit adulation and that does them.

I know he`s had injury problems but Gary Glen is a good example for me. Looked a very good player 3, 4 years ago.

The worrying thing for me about any reserve league starting again would be the situation we were in before, where poor overpaid players makela, witteveen kurskis etc get a game ahead of promising youngsters so stifling the youngsters development even more.

I do agree however we need something else as a next step from 19's but I'm just not sure as to what?.

"know he`s had injury problems but Gary Glen is a good example for me. Looked a very good player 3, 4 years ago"

He was the best under 19r by a mile, i aint no prancer by the way. When you look at sellic who have had by and far the best under 19 side over the last 5 years what has happened to all their good players Keatings etc-thats the worry. I have watched Calum P since he was at Tynecastle Boys Club, and in hindsight perhaps was being a tad unfair. But he just is not a centre half.

The 17s got bullied a bit by Hubs and agin that was their poorest performance out of the 4 times i have watched them this season, last week they beat Stenhousemuir about 9-0 i think it was and they were not too bad.

I do agree however we need something else as a next step from 19's but I'm just not sure as to what?.

Under 21's ?

With an allowance of say 3 over 21's in the squad for each game, that would allow senior players a chance of a match after coming back from injury etc.

Yes, basicaly a reserve team but with some restrictions.

Under 21's ?

With an allowance of say 3 over 21's in the squad for each game, that would allow senior players a chance of a match after coming back from injury etc.

That could potentially work mate.

Under 21's ?

i would make it like the olympics and have it U23 with 3 overage players per matchday squad. this would help those late bloomers who haven't quite made the breakthrough by 21 but might do by 23

Footballfirst

Note that the venue for U19s next game with St Johnstone has been reversed. They are now at HOME on Saturday 15th October with an 11am k.o.

Note that the venue for U19s next game with St Johnstone has been reversed. They are now at HOME on Saturday 15th October with an 11am k.o.

will probably pop up and watch, why has it been swapped?

Footballfirst

will probably pop up and watch, why has it been swapped?

Probably due to the non availability or poor condition of the pitch that St Johnstone are using. They have been playing at Kirriemuir Juniors ground this season.

Probably due to the non availability or poor condition of the pitch that St Johnstone are using. They have been playing at Kirriemuir Juniors ground this season.

cheers footballfirst. look out for me i will be the 6'5 giant with th baldy head and son intow. :thumbsup:

cheers footballfirst. look out for me i will be the 6'5 giant with th baldy head and son intow. :thumbsup:

I'll be heading along too, probably the one standing with FF

& constantly on my phone updating the kickback thread

jamboinglasgow

I am also probably going to head along, will try and pop over and say hi to you and FF.

no idea what yourself or FF look like but i will look out for youse anyway. :thumbsup:

Archived