zaliukas accident waiting to happen

mact

Zali came in a defender mate, but was asked to play in midfield. Berra and Karapidis were the recognised pairing, with Tall also getting some game time near the end. Zali was chosen by csaba to play alongside Berra, and lets be honest Berra was forced to cover a lot for zali. The sale of players, or players just leaving, and the lack of any other centre halfs coming in, is what has resulted in Zali being our main centre half. JJ tried to bring in Zander diamond, so its fair to say he was aware we need decent competion in defence ( that said, why he thought it was diamond is beyond me) and Sergio is also believed to have been looking for a centre half. I disagree regarding wallace, as he never really shone at midfield for me, and I always thought he was better as an attacking full back, the reason Rangers signed him too.

I think we will see a difference if the club brings in a decent centre half who will actually force some real competition.

This isn't really true though is it. Zali arrived when Pressley and Berra were playing together. In season one at the club he played more than twice as many games as Kara who played at right back on the few occasions he played if memory serves. Tall played a lot more than Kara that season too. In season 2, the Frail season, Zali again played far more games than Kara as did Goncalves who played a bit at CB. It wasn't until csaba arrived and played Kara at holding mid that he really started to get his game. To say Berra and Kara were the recognised central defensive pairing at any stage is nonsense. Zali was picked for 2 out of 3 games by every manager until he became pretty much ever present (less suspensions) from csaba onwards.

IMO to say Zaliukas is not a footballer is madness. He clearly is and he's pretty decent. He does however make numerous errors which will prevent him from going any higher than SPL level.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He makes far too many stupid mistakes.

If it wasn't for the fact that the only alternatives are Barr or Mroviec he'd be dropped.

So he is therefore amongst the best 2 centre backs at the club? Surely that entitles him to a place in the team?

FFS, we are not Man Utd.........its not like he's keeping Rio out the team.

So he is therefore amongst the best 2 centre backs at the club? Surely that entitles him to a place in the team?

FFS, we are not Man Utd.........its not like he's keeping Rio out the team.

Rio's as bad as Webster, they should call him Tampax the same as Brian Robson was, in for one week and out for three. :whistling:

DH having another dig at a Hearts player

Shock

There is nothing wrong with speaking the truth.

It's better that than saying nothing and pretending that Zal doesn't make mistakes.

What would that achieve ?

This isn't really true though is it. Zali arrived when Pressley and Berra were playing together. In season one at the club he played more than twice as many games as Kara who played at right back on the few occasions he played if memory serves. Tall played a lot more than Kara that season too. In season 2, the Frail season, Zali again played far more games than Kara as did Goncalves who played a bit at CB. It wasn't until csaba arrived and played Kara at holding mid that he really started to get his game. To say Berra and Kara were the recognised central defensive pairing at any stage is nonsense. Zali was picked for 2 out of 3 games by every manager until he became pretty much ever present (less suspensions) from csaba onwards.

IMO to say Zaliukas is not a footballer is madness. He clearly is and he's pretty decent. He does however make numerous errors which will prevent him from going any higher than SPL level.

In zalis first season he played 29 games and Karapidis played 16, Berra played 44 and Tall played 29, the exact same as Zali. Zali was used more as a midfielder at the start. As you correctly say, in season 2, Zali played 28 games, to which Karapidis played 20, although Jose played 29 games and Berra 41. I will accept that I was wrong on the issue of Berra and Karapidis being recognised, but Zali was used more in midfield than he was defence, and this is certainly more true under csaba.

The reason he is the main man just now is simply because he is all we really have left. At no time did I say he wasnt a footballer, I have constantly said he is very limited and that IMO he is shite. If the spl is of a shit standard and he wont go any higher, how the hell can he be classed as decent?

This guy more than any has cost Hearts points or cup exits . Ever since he came on the scene at Tynecastle he has never looked like a footballer

Watch how you go pal, the love in for Zali on here is such, that these comments wont go down well. I have said it a million times, he's ******* dire.

due to being in work I haven't read all the posts but with(out) Zal maybe the disciplinary record would look better, unless we sign that clown MS :whistling:

Jam Tarts 1874

Player slips on wet pitch shocker!

I remember seeing Jardine and Levein make a few mistakes, so I suppose they were shite too.

In zalis first season he played 29 games and Karapidis played 16, Berra played 44 and Tall played 29, the exact same as Zali. Zali was used more as a midfielder at the start. As you correctly say, in season 2, Zali played 28 games, to which Karapidis played 20, although Jose played 29 games and Berra 41. I will accept that I was wrong on the issue of Berra and Karapidis being recognised, but Zali was used more in midfield than he was defence, and this is certainly more true under csaba.

The reason he is the main man just now is simply because he is all we really have left. At no time did I say he wasnt a footballer, I have constantly said he is very limited and that IMO he is shite. If the spl is of a shit standard and he wont go any higher, how the hell can he be classed as decent?

Zali did not play more in midfield under csaba. That is not true.

He is decent by SPL standards and that is the league he plays in. He's not EPL class but then thats arguably the best league in the world. I'd imagine he could play championship football without too much bother.

Libertonian_II

Player slips on wet pitch shocker!

I remember seeing Jardine and Levein make a few mistakes, so I suppose they were shite too.

That's what I remember about Levein. There was always one mistake somewhere in his game. However, his class more than made up for it.

Zaliukas is a frustrating player but as others have said his good points outweigh the bad ones.

Why don't we have a go at the penalty takers who couldn't score or our so called forwards who don't know where the net is.

Corners 16

Enough said. All this 7 days a week training is having no effect in the important areas.

Zali did not play more in midfield under csaba. That is not true.

He is decent by SPL standards and that is the league he plays in. He's not EPL class but then thats arguably the best league in the world. I'd imagine he could play championship football without too much bother.

I disagree on both points, but there go, thats opinions for you.

Given such stellar talents as Titus Bramble, Robbie Neilson, Jamie MacAllister and Kenny Milne have played Championship football I see no reason why Zaliukas couldn't. :turned:

I am sorry if you took the "doesnt go to games" as a cheap shot, I can assure you it wasnt intended that way. What i was saying was, If your view was that Zali didnt make mistakes, that would lead me to believe you didnt go to games. Like I say, we can agree to disagree.

No worries, I was probably a wee bit precious about that.

That's what I remember about Levein. There was always one mistake somewhere in his game. However, his class more than made up for it.

Zaliukas is a frustrating player but as others have said his good points outweigh the bad ones.

Why don't we have a go at the penalty takers who couldn't score or our so called forwards who don't know where the net is.

Sorry mate but to even mention Levein and bombscare in the same post is a shocker :P

Howdy Doody Jambo

I would rather Hearts go with Barr & Webster , Moroviec , Jonsson , McGowan , Balatoni , or sign the Ayr Utd centre half from last night than play Zalukas who makes basic errors in every game i have seen him play , How the donald duck he is a captain i will never know He has got to be one of the worst centre halfs in Scotland

Zalukas should be freed asap

The alternatives are actually Barr, Mrowiec, Webster, Jonsson, McGowan (and before that you could add Wallace and Bouzid) 6 of whom are full internationals, yet succesive managers seem to keep making Zal first choice, why is that if, as all you "experts" think, he is soooo terrible ?

Ask Vlad :whistling:

There is nothing wrong with speaking the truth.

It's better that than saying nothing and pretending that Zal doesn't make mistakes.

What would that achieve ?

Point out one poster (or any Hearts fan for that matter) that doesn't say Zal makes mistakes.

This saves me having to point out the obvious flaws in his arguement and the final summing up is spot on IMO :thumbsup:

I like to picture Zaliukas spending his summer holidays in a studio apartment in Paris painting, writing poetry and occasionally heading down to nearby pavement cafes for a double espresso.

I doubt he does it, though. :(

This saves me having to point out the obvious flaws in his arguement and the final summing up is spot on IMO :thumbsup:

Ha ha, the obvious flaws! get over yourself mate. I gave him a response, did you care to read that? In the end you like Zali, your trying to put across the point that Zali is a decent player and anyone who uses his numerous ****s as a way to judge him, is stupid, as he does more good than bad. For me thats selective memory, I watch Hearts week in and week out, just becasue Zali manged to have a clean sheet doesnt mean he had a good game, I accept the opposite can also be said when he makes a mistake. The fact is, Zalis mistakes tend (due to position) to cost goals, he is far to casual at times, and, is a lot of the time, lucky not to give away pens, due to him being all over someone like a rucksack.

Zaliukas, Obua, Johnson, & Mrowiec I'd free the lot o them now

Are you on the wind up mate? Iam no fan of obua, but he really does appear to have come onto a game lately. Eggy is a great player, a young lad who has been shunted from pillar to post, yet when put in his natural position, he is finaly begining to flourish. He was excellent last nigh.

Are you on the wind up mate? Iam no fan of obua, but he really does appear to have come onto a game lately. Eggy is a great player, a young lad who has been shunted from pillar to post, yet when put in his natural position, he is finaly begining to flourish. He was excellent last nigh.

If Jonsson was terrific last night then I'm glad to hear it.

The lads career as stuttered and his performances have been rather ordinary to say the least

Lets hope he can find some consistency

The lads career as stuttered and his performances have been rather ordinary to say the least

Eggert was MOM by a mile.

Brave header should have seen us coasting at 2-0 if it hadn't been for brines :verymad:

If played in midfield on a regular basis, I have every faith he will.

Ha ha, the obvious flaws! get over yourself mate. I gave him a response, did you care to read that? In the end you like Zali, your trying to put across the point that Zali is a decent player and anyone who uses his numerous ****s as a way to judge him, is stupid, as he does more good than bad. For me thats selective memory, I watch Hearts week in and week out, just becasue Zali manged to have a clean sheet doesnt mean he had a good game, I accept the opposite can also be said when he makes a mistake. The fact is, Zalis mistakes tend (due to position) to cost goals, he is far to casual at times, and, is a lot of the time, lucky not to give away pens, due to him being all over someone like a rucksack.

You've tried to have a wee dig at me a few times on this thread for some reason just because we have differing views.

That's up to you, I just prefer to have a reasoned debate.

I don't like or dislike Zal but I happen to think he's a better than average SPL defender. As has been pointed out by others, his mistakes (which are regular, no-one is denying that) are the one thing that prevents him from being an EPL standard player. For that reason I feel it's a very "glass half empty" attitude to highlight his undoubted flaws rather than highlight his many good points.

The same could be applied to every single Hearts player because they all have flaws (if they didn't they would be playing for a bigger club) but I prefer to emphasise the good points rather than keep going on and on about the bad.

Some on here (not neccessarily you) seem to take great pleasure in ripping into our own players for any reason.

I've never quite understood that

Given such stellar talents as Titus Bramble, Robbie Neilson, Jamie MacAllister and Kenny Milne have played Championship football I see no reason why Zaliukas couldn't. :turned:

Titus Bramble is miles better than Zal will ever be. But Zal could play in the championship no problem.

Zaliukas slipped on a shocking surface.

Macdonald slipped at ICT and cost us a goal too.

We really should be good enough to beat the same team Partick just pumped 4-0 even with Zali slipping and giving a goal away.

what about our keeper who made it easy for them by diving to the same side almost every penalty :down:

I am curious if any of the above took time out to compliment him on a thoroughly professional performance last Saturday when he ran the defence, never misplaced a pass, created excellent openings which clever passes and got into the box to earn a penalty. All of this while talking the rest of the team through the game as a good captain and leader should. For the avoidance of doubt, that was far from the only such performance by him.

Yes, he makes mistakes and sometimes he is the architect of complete howlers. By all means, criticise him when this happens but to constantly criticise and ignore positive contributions does nothing other than totally devalue opinion of these blinkered and prejudiced critics.

In making mistakes, he is far from alone but in terms of reaction by some posters to these mistakes he is, however, in a league of his own. Then there is the mythology such as "costing us a goal a game" that is so eagerly snapped up and repeated by an unfortunately large number of gullible posters.

you sir are a danger to the club i love posting such garbage..................

he has the consentration levels of a pot noodle, thats all :thumbsup:

what about our keeper who made it easy for them by diving to the same side almost every penalty :down:

Was standing right behind the goals and I have never seen a worst display in a penalty shootout by a keeper. If he had waited until the ball had been kicked he would have saved their 1st 3. Instead he dived before it was kicked thus leaving a simple tap in to an empty net.

Chuck in his persistent Superman impressions and I can now remember why Balogh was dropped and is now 3rd choice.

The guy really is an enigma - no doubt in my mind he has ability and can perform to a very decent level, maybe a better level than some here would give him credit. The problem of course is the howlers and of course it can happen to anyone, howlers have no respect for pedigree. The real problem though is the frequency of the howlers, the ones that cause goals are highlighted of course but there are all the ones he actually gets away with either through the opposition not taking advantage or his team mates covering. The frequency is so high that for me it turns a potentially solid defender into a poor player who is a real liability.

He doesn't seem to be getting any better in that respect, they still happen with monotonous regularity and the thing that really nips me is they are normally followed by him standing back in amazement rather than trying to recover. I just think that the guy is not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is and that is often the cause of the problem.

you sir are a danger to the club i love posting such garbage..................

he has the consentration levels of a pot noodle, thats all :thumbsup:

I will have to defer to your intimate knowledge of the intellectual capabilities of Pot Noodle as it is clearly something you aspire to.

The guy really is an enigma - no doubt in my mind he has ability and can perform to a very decent level, maybe a better level than some here would give him credit. The problem of course is the howlers and of course it can happen to anyone, howlers have no respect for pedigree. The real problem though is the frequency of the howlers, the ones that cause goals are highlighted of course but there are all the ones he actually gets away with either through the opposition not taking advantage or his team mates covering. The frequency is so high that for me it turns a potentially solid defender into a poor player who is a real liability.

He doesn't seem to be getting any better in that respect, they still happen with monotonous regularity and the thing that really nips me is they are normally followed by him standing back in amazement rather than trying to recover. I just think that the guy is not nearly as good a player as he thinks he is and that is often the cause of the problem.

Agree with your reaction to his howlers. If you look closely at the highlights when he got back up he had a chance to fling himself in front of the Ayr player before he released his shot but guess what he made no effort whatsoever. Absolute liability. :down:

You've tried to have a wee dig at me a few times on this thread for some reason just because we have differing views.

That's up to you, I just prefer to have a reasoned debate.

I don't like or dislike Zal but I happen to think he's a better than average SPL defender. As has been pointed out by others, his mistakes (which are regular, no-one is denying that) are the one thing that prevents him from being an EPL standard player. For that reason I feel it's a very "glass half empty" attitude to highlight his undoubted flaws rather than highlight his many good points.

The same could be applied to every single Hearts player because they all have flaws (if they didn't they would be playing for a bigger club) but I prefer to emphasise the good points rather than keep going on and on about the bad.

Some on here (not neccessarily you) seem to take great pleasure in ripping into our own players for any reason.

I've never quite understood that

Behave yourself, Where have I tried to have a dig at you? I can assure you, I prefer to have a debate myself. I disagree that Zali has many good points. I honestly feel that he is very limited and have said many times, he will never play any higher than Hearts. The fact that your even suggesting the term EPL and Zali in the same sentence is laughable (not being a dick, it just is to me)as you say his mistakes are the one thing that stops him being of that standard. Thats like saying " the guy could be a porn star if he had a twelve inch tadger" when the guy has a four incher. The fact is, he isnt good enough, not to make these mistakes, he makes these mistakes because he tries to play above his level. I take no joy in saying this, he is a Hearts player, I want our players to be good.

People are calling his incident last night a "slip", for me he is caught off balance as he tries to control the ball with his right foot. The give away is when he looks down at his boot after the goal goes in. Henry smith used to do the exact same thing after he took a dodgy byekick(spelling?) I was not surprised at his attempt to try and get the ball back either, he seemed to just accept it was going to be a goal.

I have no axe to grind with you and I can assure you I wasnt having a dig, we just differ on opinion.

His faults as a player are very clear:

- positional sense is poor, particularly with strikers running off him (he is regularly on the wrong side)

- no pace on the turn to recover from his poor positional sense

- extremely unpredictable passing quality

- poor at attacking the ball in the opposition box (corners and free kicks)

- I am tired of the dying swan act getting the trainer on nearly every game

That said, there are some merits to his game too:

- his defensive heading is generally okay

- that unpredictable passing quality means that sometimes it is very good

- and his previously very poor discipline has improved markedly

I hope that he will be moved on but I think we will have him for the rest of his contract.

His physicality suggests that he would make an ideal centre back, albeit he is certainly not the quickest. However, as many have said, his positional sense at crucial moments and awareness of where people are in the box, invariably the man he has been tasked with marking before the game starts, are nowhere near good enough. He can 'stand out' when we play St Mirren at home who attacked with little impact and when teams play with one striker, he will be the spare man, so the liklihood of him losing anyone is reduced. That said, he looked a tad unlucky last night with the slip and his standing foot did go from beneath him but he simply shows now signs of improving and we can do far better for the wages he is on. Some posters have said there have been far worse than him in recent years but i would like to know the names of these players, especially those who have been playing as often as this guy and somehow has managed to get the armband in the process. He is nowhere near the class of Pressley or Webster (first time around) and even Kevin McKenna for example was superior by a distance.

The club captain was voted into the SPL team of the year last season by his peers, has been picked regularly by a succession of club managers/coaches, is clearly rated by our largest shareholder and plays international football too!

Having attended the game last night, I would suggest not many of our support actually had that good a view of the "slip" at the goal (apart from those in the stand). As such, given it was of the nature of Jamie McDonald's recent mishap at Inverness, I am willing to view this incident in the samme light as that occurence.

However,I would say that I gave 5 players pass marks last night and Zaliukas was one of them. There were three who should possibly investigate a career change at the earliest possible opportunity!

There were three who should possibly investigate a career change at the earliest possible opportunity!

I'm going for...

The Balogh

Darren Barr

John Sutton

He's been a liability since he got here. He is a bombscare. There have been numerous games he's been rubbish. He is indecisive or rash, but never calm and collected, he's too complacent, he drifts in and out of games, he's a poor leader and he does stupid things like slip up, fall over and play terrible passes.

Not a revelation, but he's not as good as folk make him out to be. Was never going to be a huge loss when he nearly left last season.

I am curious if any of the above took time out to compliment him on a thoroughly professional performance last Saturday when he ran the defence, never misplaced a pass, created excellent openings which clever passes and got into the box to earn a penalty. All of this while talking the rest of the team through the game as a good captain and leader should. For the avoidance of doubt, that was far from the only such performance by him.

Yes, he makes mistakes and sometimes he is the architect of complete howlers. By all means, criticise him when this happens but to constantly criticise and ignore positive contributions does nothing other than totally devalue opinion of these blinkered and prejudiced critics.

In making mistakes, he is far from alone but in terms of reaction by some posters to these mistakes he is, however, in a league of his own. Then there is the mythology such as "costing us a goal a game" that is so eagerly snapped up and repeated by an unfortunately large number of gullible posters.

Ramrod

he has the consentration levels of a pot noodle, thats all

igma

I don't think you two are that far apart ! sums up the Zal the enigma

Anyone heard a rumour that Zaliukas was born a spaniel?

Would explain why he sometimes makes dog noises for no reason which is particularly apparent.

Libertonian_II

Sorry mate but to even mention Levein and bombscare in the same post is a shocker :P

There are similarities, to start with they're the same height......

I suppose it wasn't the best comparison one could make :teehee:

Can't wait til Zaliukas leaves, inspires no confidence at all. Gives away goals that you wouldn't see at amateur level, particularly against the Old Firm.

Can't wait til Zaliukas leaves, inspires no confidence at all. Gives away goals that you wouldn't see at amateur level, particularly against the Old Firm.

I've played and managed at amateur level, and we've never given away goals against the Old Firm.

I've played and managed at amateur level, and we've never given away goals against the Old Firm.

He wouldn't get a game in my amateur team.

Archived