zaliukas accident waiting to happen

mact

This guy more than any has cost Hearts points or cup exits . Ever since he came on the scene at Tynecastle he has never looked like a footballer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy more than any has cost Hearts points or cup exits . Ever since he came on the scene at Tynecastle he has never looked like a footballer

Watch how you go pal, the love in for Zali on here is such, that these comments wont go down well. I have said it a million times, he's ******* dire.

Agreed. One of the worst defenders I've seen play for Hearts.

Robbie Neilson was derided on here because he was a limited footballer which I agree with. But he didn't regularly cost us games the way Zaliukas does.

I wish we would just pay out his contract.

Radioactive Mince

I've not been blinded by Zal-love over the years. I've always realised his strengths and limitations but overall have been a fan.

I wouldn't be too fussed if he was dropped for a few games, though. That is, if we had any kind of reliable cover for this rather erratic defender. Sicknote will keep on keeping out of the picture as and when he feels so who else is there? On tonight's showing, Barr certainly is not the answer.

I am curious if any of the above took time out to compliment him on a thoroughly professional performance last Saturday when he ran the defence, never misplaced a pass, created excellent openings which clever passes and got into the box to earn a penalty. All of this while talking the rest of the team through the game as a good captain and leader should. For the avoidance of doubt, that was far from the only such performance by him.

Yes, he makes mistakes and sometimes he is the architect of complete howlers. By all means, criticise him when this happens but to constantly criticise and ignore positive contributions does nothing other than totally devalue opinion of these blinkered and prejudiced critics.

In making mistakes, he is far from alone but in terms of reaction by some posters to these mistakes he is, however, in a league of his own. Then there is the mythology such as "costing us a goal a game" that is so eagerly snapped up and repeated by an unfortunately large number of gullible posters.

I am curious if any of the above took time out to compliment him on a thoroughly professional performance last Saturday when he ran the defence, never misplaced a pass, created excellent openings which clever passes and got into the box to earn a penalty. All of this while talking the rest of the team through the game as a good captain and leader should. For the avoidance of doubt, that was far from the only such performance by him.

Yes, he makes mistakes and sometimes he is the architect of complete howlers. By all means, criticise him when this happens but to constantly criticise and ignore positive contributions does nothing other than totally devalue opinion of these blinkered and prejudiced critics.

In making mistakes, he is far from alone but in terms of reaction by some posters to these mistakes he is, however, in a league of his own. Then there is the mythology such as "costing us a goal a game" that is so eagerly snapped up and repeated by an unfortunately large number of gullible posters.

For "sometimes", read "frequently".

It was a mistake to let the ball run across him in those conditions, no doubt about that.

However he was trying to be constructive rather than just lump the ball forward and accidentally slipped at a vital moment.

He's now getting crucified by the Zal GFT brigade, whereas McDonald made a similar costly mistake at Inverness and no-one blamed him (and quite rightly not).

Too many people seem to almost want Zal to make a mistake so they can have a go, conveniantly forgetting that he is a decent, solid defender for 99% of a game.

Yes his lapses can be costly but I still think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

This guy more than any has cost Hearts points or cup exits . Ever since he signed his new big money contract at Tynecastle he has never looked like a footballer

Fixed that.

For "sometimes", read "frequently".

The question put to and, as yet, unanswered by his critics is "can you list these blunders?".

You seem more certain so can you catalogue the errors/blunders?

It was a mistake to let the ball run across him in those conditions, no doubt about that.

However he was trying to be constructive rather than just lump the ball forward and accidentally slipped at a vital moment.

He's now getting crucified by the Zal GFT brigade, whereas McDonald made a similar costly mistake at Inverness and no-one blamed him (and quite rightly not).

Too many people seem to almost want Zal to make a mistake so they can have a go, conveniantly forgetting that he is a decent, solid defender for 99% of a game.

Yes his lapses can be costly but I still think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

He makes far too many stupid mistakes.

If it wasn't for the fact that the only alternatives are Barr or Mroviec he'd be dropped.

I actually praised him on his performance last Saturday however I am not generally a fan of his and agree with the majority on this thread that he is more often than not a liabilty.

The question put to and, as yet, unanswered by his critics is "can you list these blunders?".

Dundee Utd game he totally lost Daly for their goal, last home game against Celtic gave the ball directly to them for their first goal etc etc, too many instances to list.

You said on a previous post that others make mistakes and don't get the slagging he does, have you thought why this is?

In my opinion it is because he is a centre back and is obviously closer to the goals and any mistakes can and often lead to the opposition scoring which is why we need a dependable player in this vital position.

Zaliukas is unfortuantely one of those players who can play well for 89 minutes but then lose concentration for 1 minute and cost us a goal that is why he gets slated by people like me.

Are you seriously suggesting that he's a good player? What level of ambition do you have for Hearts, that you think this clown passes as a good defender. I will bet he does a Bouzid and goes onto nothing when he leaves Hearts. This is the biggest gig of his life and he wont go any higher. He only gets a game week in week out, due to the fact we have nothing else. I appreciate people will have their favourites, I like Black, many hate him, But the argument that poor old Zali is a scapegoat and somehow doesnt make all these errors is, in my opinion, laughable.

People who come out with things like Zal is never a footballer = people that know heehaw about football. The Zal bashing on here is getting pretty boring.

People who come out with things like Zal is never a footballer = people that know heehaw about football. The Zal bashing on here is getting pretty boring.

So what your saying is, I know nothing about football, but because you think Zalui is decent you do? Nice one, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Sensible, well thought out, and entirely correct.

Are you seriously suggesting that he's a good player? What level of ambition do you have for Hearts, that you think this clown passes as a good defender. I will bet he does a Bouzid and goes onto nothing when he leaves Hearts. This is the biggest gig of his life and he wont go any higher. He only gets a game week in week out, due to the fact we have nothing else. I appreciate people will have their favourites, I like Black, many hate him, But the argument that poor old Zali is a scapegoat and somehow doesnt make all these errors is, in my opinion, laughable.

That's not the point. The point that his critics talk in the widest of generalities and utterly fail to provide any objective evidence to support their assertion that he costs us a goal a game. We have even had the ludicrous position where this rubbish was being peddled during a spell where the team didn't lose a goal for around 900 minutes.

Whether or not he is SPL or whatever class is irrelevant. This is about equity in terms of treatment by a small but vocal section of the Kickback community.

At the moment, we are denied the services of Kello as a result of him colliding with an opponent when fielding a very poor ball headed back to him. Had that been Zaliukas, this place would have been in meltdown.

So what your saying is, I know nothing about football, but because you think Zalui is decent you do? Nice one, I bow to your superior knowledge.

:thumbsup:

He makes far too many stupid mistakes.

If it wasn't for the fact that the only alternatives are Barr or Mroviec he'd be dropped.

The alternatives are actually Barr, Mrowiec, Webster, Jonsson, McGowan (and before that you could add Wallace and Bouzid) 6 of whom are full internationals, yet succesive managers seem to keep making Zal first choice, why is that if, as all you "experts" think, he is soooo terrible ?

That's not the point. The point that his critics talk in the widest of generalities and utterly fail to provide any objective evidence to support their assertion that he costs us a goal a game. We have even had the ludicrous position where this rubbish was being peddled during a spell where the team didn't lose a goal for around 900 minutes.

Whether or not he is SPL or whatever class is irrelevant. This is about equity in terms of treatment by a small but vocal section of the Kickback community.

At the moment, we are denied the services of Kello as a result of him colliding with an opponent when fielding a very poor ball headed back to him. Had that been Zaliukas, this place would have been in meltdown.

What? Of course its the point mate. Zali was given a nice contract, surely on the principle that we will make money out of him. If we manage to make anthing over ?300k for him I will be surprised, in fact if anyone comes in to buy him I will be surprised. I fail to see why we need the cheerleader mentality when it comes to certain players, the talking as if he's some kind of victim. The man is the captain and our main central defender who has a fair amount of howlers under his belt, if this costs us a goal, like it did, people will vent their spleen over it, thats how fans are.

I appreciate you like Zali, I dont, but the victim angle is laughable to me, he is paid well to do a job, Iam sure he is not bothered what people on kickback say about him.

The alternatives are actually Barr, Mrowiec, Webster, Jonsson, McGowan (and before that you could add Wallace and Bouzid) 6 of whom are full internationals, yet succesive managers seem to keep making Zal first choice, why is that if, as all you "experts" think, he is soooo terrible ?

Do you really need that answered? Eggy isnt a defender and McGowan has only just broken into the team, he is also a RB. The rest are horrific, so yes, he is the best of a bad bunch.

Have said my piece before, Zal is not good enough in my opinion. It's not good enough for our captain and centre-half to play a couple of good games then make a absolute howler that costs us a match....as is the reocccurring theme.

Well if Sergio didn't know it in the last transfer window he surely knows it now - a half decent centre back should be top of his wish list in January. Big Zal is okay on his day - but boy when he screws up he does in style.

Well if Sergio didn't know it in the last transfer window he surely knows it now - a half decent centre back should be top of his wish list in January. Big Zal is okay on his day - but boy when he screws up he does in style.

Apparently he did know and centre back was top of his wish list in August.

On his good days, when his mind is 100% on the game, he is very good.

However, IMO, he does not have the concentration levels required to be a top class central defender. That is why he plays for Hearts and not an EPL club. I didn't see the match last night, but it does seem that on this occasion, he may have just been unlucky. Or he wasn't wearing boots with the correct studs for the conditions.

What has to be said about him, though, is he has obviously worked very hard on other parts of his temperament. From being a 3 or 4 red cards a season player, he has managed to cut out much of the nonsense, and vastly reduce the bother he kept getting into.

Save for the Easter Road red card, which was another of his wayward moments which cost us a goal and probably victory.

Apparently he did know and centre back was top of his wish list in August.

perhaps because Andy Webster seldom plays more than 2 games on the bounce without then missing the next few games?

Do you really need that answered? Eggy isnt a defender and McGowan has only just broken into the team, he is also a RB. The rest are horrific, so yes, he is the best of a bad bunch.

Is he? Given i didnt watch him in the youth teams, but i thought he was a CB or a defensive midfielder. I thought he played RB out of necessity and did ok, so he's played a few more games there. I'm sure I read a quote where he said it wasn't his position, but he was jsut happy to play

On his good days, when his mind is 100% on the game, he is very good.

However, IMO, he does not have the concentration levels required to be a top class central defender. That is why he plays for Hearts and not an EPL club. I didn't see the match last night, but it does seem that on this occasion, he may have just been unlucky. Or he wasn't wearing boots with the correct studs for the conditions.

What has to be said about him, though, is he has obviously worked very hard on other parts of his temperament. From being a 3 or 4 red cards a season player, he has managed to cut out much of the nonsense, and vastly reduce the bother he kept getting into.

Save for the Easter Road red card, which was another of his wayward moments which cost us a goal and probably victory.

He has improved over the last couple of years - no doubt about that - but there are still far too many "bombscare" moments with him.

Change is needed in that position urgently in my opinion.

Whether CH is their "preferred" position or not is irrelevant, all have played that position for Hearts, and with the possible exception of Barr all have played well in that position at different times under different managers.

But, as I already pointed out, when fit Zal is ALWAYS first choice for one of the CH positions.

I know that big Zal mistakes a plenty but until Sergio finds his own man I am afraid we are stuck with him, in his defence it was tricky conditions and what about the other 10 players with that team we had out we should have easily won that game it was a shocking display they should be all ashamed of themself.

Grumpy.

if he was as good as he thinks he is he'd be a world beater, quicker he's binned, the better, can only pass across the pitch

winston churchill

More and more people coming round to my way of thinking.

You'll find the type of chap that thinks old bombscare is a football player sits on kickback on match days :lol:

When is his big money move to russia taking place.I seem to remember folk on here greeting that we were about to lose this chump :lol:.

Another mistake ?

Shock.

He reminds me of John Gallacher in the 70's - you waited in every game on his customary dip in concentration that gave the opposition a goal scoring opportunity.

What? Of course its the point mate. Zali was given a nice contract, surely on the principle that we will make money out of him. If we manage to make anthing over ?300k for him I will be surprised, in fact if anyone comes in to buy him I will be surprised. I fail to see why we need the cheerleader mentality when it comes to certain players, the talking as if he's some kind of victim. The man is the captain and our main central defender who has a fair amount of howlers under his belt, if this costs us a goal, like it did, people will vent their spleen over it, thats how fans are.

I appreciate you like Zali, I dont, but the victim angle is laughable to me, he is paid well to do a job, Iam sure he is not bothered what people on kickback say about him.

The points I was making were that all we ever hear on here is criticism and that criticism is generally unsupported by fact or even an objective view and supported only by generalites such as a "fair amount".

I fully appreciate that a number of posters do not like certain players - the reasons are their own and they are entitled to them but I reserve the right not to be persuaded by their arguments if they refuse or are unable to contextualise their claims.

Whether CH is their "preferred" position or not is irrelevant, all have played that position for Hearts, and with the possible exception of Barr all have played well in that position at different times under different managers.

But, as I already pointed out, when fit Zal is ALWAYS first choice for one of the CH positions.

What? A choice between a stand in or a fully recognised centre half? Seriously mate, have a word.

if he was as good as he thinks he is he'd be a world beater, quicker he's binned, the better, can only pass across the pitch

I would hope so, a pass across the top of the stand would do us no good

What? A choice between a stand in or a fully recognised centre half? Seriously mate, have a word.

Whether a player is playing his prefered position or not is not the question here. It's where they have played and played well.

Wallace's prefered position is attacking midfield, doesn't mean that he wasn't good in other positions. Barr, Berra, Webster ARE recognised CH but all have been chosen to partner Zal not replace him.

Remember Zal came to Hearts as a midfielder so I suppose you could consider him a "stand in" as well.

The points I was making were that all we ever hear on here is criticism and that criticism is generally unsupported by fact or even an objective view and supported only by generalites such as a "fair amount".

I fully appreciate that a number of posters do not like certain players - the reasons are their own and they are entitled to them but I reserve the right not to be persuaded by their arguments if they refuse or are unable to contextualise their claims.

I accept your point, however, the other side of the coin, is that you will brush off any incidents as a one off, or these things happen. Zali is well known for his lapses in concentration, as a centrall defender these lapses are most costly, to deny that Zali has had a fair amount of howlers would lead me to question if you go to games. We have no other recognised center halfs at the club and for me Zali is the best of a bad bunch, that doesnt make him good.

The incidents that I can think of just off the top of my head are, Celtic at home last season, dundee utd at home this season, three of the goals against tottenham and last night. I also thought he could have done a lot better for the goal against motherwell this season. There is also last seasons hibs game when he was sent off. For me thats a fair few, and if I have a think about it, there are more. My problem isnt just the goals he costs us, its the ones he is lucky to get away with, as he has serious lapses in concentration.

In the end you like him, I dont, its no big deal. the poor Zali patter is wearing a bit thin though, In my opinion.

Whether a player is playing his prefered position or not is not the question here. It's where they have played and played well.

Wallace's prefered position is attacking midfield, doesn't mean that he wasn't good in other positions. Barr, Berra, Webster ARE recognised CH but all have been chosen to partner Zal not replace him.

Remember Zal came to Hearts as a midfielder so I suppose you could consider him a "stand in" as well.

Zali came in a defender mate, but was asked to play in midfield. Berra and Karapidis were the recognised pairing, with Tall also getting some game time near the end. Zali was chosen by csaba to play alongside Berra, and lets be honest Berra was forced to cover a lot for zali. The sale of players, or players just leaving, and the lack of any other centre halfs coming in, is what has resulted in Zali being our main centre half. JJ tried to bring in Zander diamond, so its fair to say he was aware we need decent competion in defence ( that said, why he thought it was diamond is beyond me) and Sergio is also believed to have been looking for a centre half. I disagree regarding wallace, as he never really shone at midfield for me, and I always thought he was better as an attacking full back, the reason Rangers signed him too.

I think we will see a difference if the club brings in a decent centre half who will actually force some real competition.

So it turns out he slipped on the wet turf just as Jamie MacDonald did last week and it cost us a goal, perhaps better studs are required but hardly an error of concentration or bombscare moment that the usual fandans and zali-haters are making it out to be.

I accept your point, however, the other side of the coin, is that you will brush off any incidents as a one off, or these things happen. Zali is well known for his lapses in concentration, as a centrall defender these lapses are most costly, to deny that Zali has had a fair amount of howlers would lead me to question if you go to games. We have no other recognised center halfs at the club and for me Zali is the best of a bad bunch, that doesnt make him good.

The incidents that I can think of just off the top of my head are, Celtic at home last season, dundee utd at home this season, three of the goals against tottenham and last night. I also thought he could have done a lot better for the goal against motherwell this season. There is also last seasons hibs game when he was sent off. For me thats a fair few, and if I have a think about it, there are more. My problem isnt just the goals he costs us, its the ones he is lucky to get away with, as he has serious lapses in concentration.

In the end you like him, I dont, its no big deal. the poor Zali patter is wearing a bit thin though, In my opinion.

Thank you for supporting your case with some examples.

I don't recall brushing off any incidents as isolated and there is no denying that he makes mistakes; all players do.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, what I have said is that the number of such incidents is hugely exaggerated and invariably unsupported by any evidence.

The "do you go to games" patter is a cheap shot - come on, you can do better than that. For the record, I have been following Hearts home and away for the best part of 40 years and I can assure I have seen better centre backs than Zaliukas but many, many poorer examples.

I don't recall brushing off any incidents as isolated and there is no denying that he makes mistakes; all players do.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, what I have said is that the number of such incidents is hugely exaggerated and invariably unsupported by any evidence.

The "do you go to games" patter is a cheap shot - come on, you can do better than that. For the record, I have been following Hearts home and away for the best part of 40 years and I can assure I have seen better centre backs than Zaliukas but many, many poorer examples.

I am sorry if you took the "doesnt go to games" as a cheap shot, I can assure you it wasnt intended that way. What i was saying was, If your view was that Zali didnt make mistakes, that would lead me to believe you didnt go to games. Like I say, we can agree to disagree.

Yes, we've had a lot worse than Zaliukas and at the moment where are we going to find better? He has made some howlers, but I'd much rather have him in the team than Barr or a conveted midfielder. He won us the penalty on Saturday that pushed us on the road to victory did he not. He's not the one who should be getting the blame.

The problem is that he doesn't do the good stuff often enough and does the bad stuff far too much.

He is a very weak part of our team and it's such an important area! We can tend to carry others who don't perform however if you have someone in central defence who is more often than not, a liability then you need to do something about it.

Archived