World Cup qualifiers.....

Hendricks

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically before Sunday if Wales fail to win in Georgia or if Bosnia fail to beat Belgium at home a win in Slovenia will guarantee Scotland a play off spot. There are other options if they both win those games but we would know we were assured with a win if either happened.

Exactly and that is the ideal scenario. If we go into the last round of games bottom of the 2nd place teams we all know what's going to happen...

If Scotland draw against Slovenia and Slovakia only manage an unlikely draw against Malta then we still finish 2nd - how would we stand in the 2nd place standings?

If Scotland draw against Slovenia and Slovakia only manage an unlikely draw against Malta then we still finish 2nd - how would we stand in the 2nd place standings?

Would highly likely not be enough. 12pts isn't going to cut it unless a bunch of results went our way. It's probably even more unlikely we'd make it with 12pts than it is we'd fall short with a win. I'd put my neck on the line and stick by my prediction that 2 wins will see us in the play offs. We are half way there!!

Very unlikely scenario.

Unknown user

Would highly likely not be enough. 12pts isn't going to cut it unless a bunch of results went our way. It's probably even more unlikely we'd make it with 12pts than it is we'd fall short with a win. I'd put my neck on the line and stick by my prediction that 2 wins will see us in the play offs. We are half way there!!

We're also the only second placed team with negative goal difference so if it stays like that we can't be on equal points.

EDIT except it wouldn't stay like that as a win would turn our -1 into at least a +1

Ah this is too much, and all expecting a win. For Scotland. In a big deciding game. :laugh: bring it on!

Germany haven't lost an away qualifier in 83 years.

:wow:

But didnt they get beat in Dublin by the republic in the last qualifiers?

I don't fancy the look of that goal difference

For it to come down to goal difference it's going to take a number of results.

Us to win in Slovenia.

Wales to beat Georgia away and Rep Ireland at home.

Bosnia to beat Belgium at home and Estonia away.

Sweden to get at least a point in Sweden.

The reality is Scotland are looking good for a play off IF we win on Sunday. Big IF though!!!!

Germany haven't lost an away qualifier in 83 years.

:wow:

world cup qualifiers only, as another poster pointed out ireland beat them during qualifying for the euros

world cup qualifiers only, as another poster pointed out ireland beat them during qualifying for the euros

Yes wc qualifiers.

I would say that 20+ campaigns without an away defeat is very impressive.

It looks quite likely a win in Slovenia will be enough for a play off place.

We might know for definite by the time we play with qualifiers being played on Friday and Saturday in other groups.

Wales or Bosnia dropping points in either of their 2 games would mean 14 points will be enough for Scotland to enter the play off. Wales are away to Georgia tomorrow night, they've already dropped points against them in this campaign. Bosnia are at home to Belgium on Saturday, a Belgium win or draw would mean neither of the possible 2nd place finishers could match our 14 points in that group.

14 points would also be enough if Norway beat Northern Ireland in group C or Romania beat Denmark in group E in their final games.

Need to get the win first though. Slovenia haven't conceded a home goal in the 2018 qualifiers.

Unknown user

We might know for definite by the time we play with qualifiers being played on Friday and Saturday in other groups.

Wales or Bosnia dropping points in either of their 2 games would mean 14 points will be enough for Scotland to enter the play off. Wales are away to Georgia tomorrow night, they've already dropped points against them in this campaign. Bosnia are at home to Belgium on Saturday, a Belgium win or draw would mean neither of the possible 2nd place finishers could match our 14 points in that group.

14 points would also be enough if Norway beat Northern Ireland in group C or Romania beat Denmark in group E in their final games.

Need to get the win first though. Slovenia haven't conceded a home goal in the 2018 qualifiers.

They have nothing to play for now, maybe that'll help. Anyone know if they're into helping Slovakia out historically for any reason?

Bazzas right boot

Northern Ireland will be seeded, t goes on FIFA ranking.

Berra v Lafferty

It's in he stars

Bazzas right boot

Aye, well. That's shite then.

Yes wc qualifiers.

I would say that 20+ campaigns without an away defeat is very impressive.

Scotland's close to a very good team drew 1-1 in 1969

http://www.scotlandfootballstats.co.uk/match-details/16-04-1969/scotland-west-germany

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/impromptuinc.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/1969-scotland-west-germany-1-1-0-1/amp/

http://emp3i.pro/mp3/scotland-v-west-germany-1969.html

And lost 3-2 in return game in group. These games triggered the great respect of a certain B.Vogts too.

They have nothing to play for now, maybe that'll help. Anyone know if they're into helping Slovakia out historically for any reason?

I've had a look into it and there isn't any real connection between the two.

Both got their independence in the 90's, Czechoslovakia split to form Czech Republic and Slovakia. Slovenia won their independence from Yugoslavia after a 10-day war. The don't share a border with each other.

They've got similar names and similar flags, I was surprised there was no strong historical link between the two.

Attractive women. As I?ve pointed out.

People haven?t taken the hint about pictures though, which is poor form.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault-46-608x342.jpg

You're welcome

I think a win will definitely be enough.

Sweden are on 10 and have Luxembourg and holland to play. The Luxembourg points don't count so they can only get 13 and if Holland will their last 2 games, including Sweden then they will be in second place but will also be on only 13 points.

The idea of going in to the final game of the group stage still with a very realistic chance of qualifying for the world cup fills me with joy and hope.

The idea of 'needing' a win to make that a reality fills me with fear.

I dare say even the most optimistic of Scots is quietly aware of how this usually pans out for us......

Hope though. Lets go with hope.

Unknown user

The idea of going in to the final game of the group stage still with a very realistic chance of qualifying for the world cup fills me with joy and hope.

I dare say even the most optimistic of Scots is quietly aware of how this usually pans out for us......

I've never been so confident - we can score goals now!

I've never been so confident - we can score goals now!

8 in the 7 games against the teams in our group (minus Malta) says otherwise.

michael_bolton

8 in the 7 games against the teams in our group (minus Malta) says otherwise.

One is enough. And we're averaging two per game in our last three games. A definite upturn.

As much as he?s been an arse off the pitch in the past,(seems to have calmed down)and even though I?m not forgiving his Skacel incident; Griffiths has been absolutely integral to our revival,imo.

It?s actually made a mockery of Strachan?s view, that when he wasn?t being picked, it was because he didn?t think he was physical enough, & couldn?t be trusted to lead the line for us. Despite doing it repeatedly for Celtic.

He?s been consistently good.

We've improved since he changed the team for the Wembley game. Berra as well as Griffiths. Mulgrew since then too.

I know we?ve got to win our next game but see last night, loved the game. Felt a bit like the old days with passion, a wee bit of skill, buckets of belief and determination and the fans playing their part too. For today anyway, just going to enjoy the win!

Unknown user

I know we?ve got to win our next game but see last night, loved the game. Felt a bit like the old days with passion, a wee bit of skill, buckets of belief and determination and the fans playing their part too. For today anyway, just going to enjoy the win!

Spot on mate, I'm just basking in it today

One is enough. And we're averaging two per game in our last three games. A definite upturn.

:thumbsup:

I was being feceesh faceetio fescesho faceitious a smart arse.

Unknown user

Hampden park. That roar last night. Unbeatable.

I meant to say the same actually, I've fallen back in love a bit with Hampden recently, that was superb last night!

In terms of the play off draw seedings from FIFA rankings we need to wait for all the results.

But looking at the rankings just now the most likely seeds are:-

Italy

Portugal / Switzerland

Then Wales if they qualify as one of 8 best second place

N.Ireland if they beat Norway

But could also be Iceland, Sweden, Croatia.

Denmark, Turkey are outsiders. Bosnia, Scotland, Greece for example all second seeds.

Of course more countries in mix for second place especially.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

I would have been more nervous if we had only needed a draw.

No matter the intent, we would end up playing for the draw and we have to keep on the front foot; best form of defence etc.

i wish jj was my dad

We've improved since he changed the team for the Wembley game. Berra as well as Griffiths. Mulgrew since then too.

And Gordon. Despite the defeat we've been a different animal since wembley.

If we'd set up properly earlier in the campaign we would be home and hosed by now.

Bazzas right boot

I'm happier going away having to win

Better than a draw is enough. That's like being in no man's land.

Least we can go with clarity and purpose.

Slovenia were poor at Hampden, suprisingly so. They are out, they'll have a small crowd, well bring loads.

The mission is clear.

The mission is possible.

It's all set up gloriously, which way ......

Looking at the other games to be played, a draw should see them through to a play off spot. But they need to get that draw away to Ecuador. Where in the last 3 WCQ games they've played there, they've managed once, losing the other two.

I'd like to see them do it. Normally it's good to see the big teams fail but the idea of a World Cup without Argentina doesn't feel right to me.

Bowmans_Boot

Looking at the other games to be played, a draw should see them through to a play off spot. But they need to get that draw away to Ecuador. Where in the last 3 WCQ games they've played there, they've managed once, losing the other two.

I'd like to see them do it. Normally it's good to see the big teams fail but the idea of a World Cup without Argentina doesn't feel right to me.

I watched the match last night and they should have won, but once again a lack of goals was their downfall. This campaign has been completely shambolic and they continue to be footballs biggest underachievers.

Fingers crossed for their last match, I have faith they will do it.

Guest Paul Allen

I meant to say the same actually, I've fallen back in love a bit with Hampden recently, that was superb last night!

I thought that was a stone-wall penalty for the shove on Tierney early doors, although others beside me insist it was a free-kick and outside the box. No debate over the two yellow cards for them. Thought we absolutely dominated them, even when it was 11 v 11.

Could argue that Martin should have been brought on a bit earlier to give us a target to aim for up front beside Griffiths. Thought the Anya sub was inspired as not only is he a natural right-sided player (unlike Tierney) he also was fresh and is more attack-minded. Was slightly underwhelmed by Phillips. Thought their GK was man-of-the-match. Also thought Berra was very solid for us and a real threat at set pieces. Griffiths with a deadball is arguably as good as anyone out there. His corners and free kicks are real asset. He also did well to slide the ball to Anya in the run up to our goal.

Superb night overall. :)

I too got really excited but then I looked at some of the stats about Slovenia in this group.

4 home games

3 wins

1 draw (vs England 0-0)

and 0 goals conceded.

As others have said, they might be a little dispirited at being officially out of contention but this is a team that still seems fiercely proud of defending their goal and scores against people at home.

Seem like the type to be able to shut down the game and nick a goal. No mean feat to go there and get a result.

Unknown user

I thought that was a stone-wall penalty for the shove on Tierney early doors, although others beside me insist it was a free-kick and outside the box. No debate over the two yellow cards for them. Thought we absolutely dominated them, even when it was 11 v 11.

Could argue that Martin should have been brought on a bit earlier to give us a target to aim for up front beside Griffiths. Thought the Anya sub was inspired as not only is he a natural right-sided player (unlike Tierney) he also was fresh and is more attack-minded. Was slightly underwhelmed by Phillips. Thought their GK was man-of-the-match. Also thought Berra was very solid for us and a real threat at set pieces. Griffiths with a deadball is arguably as good as anyone out there. His corners and free kicks are real asset. He also did well to slide the ball to Anya in the run up to our goal.

Superb night overall. :)

Agreed, stonewall penalty - it was foul and it was inside the box.

I thought Philips did his job effectively if not spectacularly but agree with everything else.

Apart from the goal, Martin gave me the best moment of the night - that shot off the crossbar was so clever, he shaped up like he was going to drive a ball to the far post but swung a demon of a shot the other way instead. The keeper dived the right way but was nowhere near it, it deserved to be a couple of inches lower!

But didnt they get beat in Dublin by the republic in the last qualifiers?

Did we not beat them 1-0 at Hampden 10 years or so ago?

* edit - Scrap that it was a 1-1 draw.

Unknown user

I too got really excited but then I looked at some of the stats about Slovenia in this group.

4 home games

3 wins

1 draw (vs England 0-0)

and 0 goals conceded.

As others have said, they might be a little dispirited at being officially out of contention but this is a team that still seems fiercely proud of defending their goal and scores against people at home.

Seem like the type to be able to shut down the game and nick a goal. No mean feat to go there and get a result.

TBH that kind of game is much more suited to us than one we're expected to win against weak opponents

Comment I got from a SEVCO fan this morning - "I thought Strachan was supposed to be picking players in form for their clubs, how the **** is Berra getting a game, has he no been watching Hearts"

Second comment:  "why is Strachan no giving the youngsters a chance?"  I asked him to name the youngsters he thought should be in there, reply  :"Young laddie at Celtic (McGregor??) and the boy at Hibs (McGinn??) 

Had to bite ma tongue and no bite

Thought Berra was outstanding again last night, and although not a fan of his, wee Bannan run himself into the ground. 

Bazzas right boot

4 home games

3 wins

1 draw (vs England 0-0)

and 0 goals conceded.

We won't want to concede first, that for sure.

But it's a game we can win, we have form and purpose. Massive n Football, or sport in general.

Archived