Cathro replacement

kingantti1874

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you bother listening to a Dundee fan

Dundee fans are miserable arseholes who believe their club should be up there with Rangers and Celtic, Hearts aberdeen and and hibs when in reality they should be down there with livi and st mirren. Hartley had them punching well above their weight even surviving in the spfl 1 season.

That's not the impression i get when speaking to Dundee fans, of which i know many. Not once have i heard them saying they should be up near the top of the league. 

Sy

Cut The Crap

would Johnston and Clark work with our dof?

I'm honestly not being obtuse, but I have no idea who you mean?

Cut The Crap

allan and sandy

Ok, got you.

They are currently at Dunfermline, right? From what I know, they didn't pull up any trees last season. I guess we'll see on Saturday how they're shaping up for this season.

Jam Tarts 1874

At this stage with the club having a cash shortfall for the new stand I think we need someone just to steady the ship - therefore Peter Houston.

At this stage with the club having a cash shortfall for the new stand I think we need someone just to steady the ship - therefore Peter Houston.

Houston would be an uninspiring nightmare yes man to Levein. Did he no say he was retiring after falkirk too?

A_A wehatethehibs

That's not the impression i get when speaking to Dundee fans, of which i know many. Not once have i heard them saying they should be up near the top of the league.

Sy

I will give you a word of advice don't talk to or associate with Dundee fans, you may actually you may begin to believe the pish they spout and even defend their point of view. Dundonians are not to be trusted nor respected, case in point Ian Cathro

Winston Ingram

There is no basis for appointing Hartley at all other than he played for us and would be cheap.

If you thought our recent cup record is bad, look at his. His Dundee team with the goals of Hemmings and Stewart couldn't make the top six, the next season he was on the way towards relegation. His turnover of players also made our January business look non eventful.

Would be inclined to keep an eye on how Gary Naysmith starts this season. He was a Plan B last time.

Chat of Houston as a dinosaur is unfair.. Falkirk have played some really decent stuff under him.

Cut The Crap

I'd keep MacPhee on in a new regime.

Yes. I'd probably keep Cathro as well if we would stay on in a lower profile role. 

We need an experienced man manager in the top job though. I concede that Levein and Houston are not the most inspiring choices, but both would minimize upheaval and would have a fighting chance of making it work to some limited extent (by that I mean achieving top six, which currently looks way beyond Cathro's capabilities).

We need a steady hand on the first team tiller while we get the new stand finished off. It's becoming clear that project is proving much more of a financial and organizational distraction than was envisaged was admitted.

Once that's done, we look at things again and see where we want to go on the playing side.

May one-six

Archibald would be a worthwhile shout - clearly knows what he's doing. Levein for a temporary fix. Wasn't keen on Houston before, but by God I'd take him now. O'Neiil - yes. Hartley or McPhee - maybe.

Michael O'Neil will walk into a good job in England. Hartley won back to back promotions with Alloa then took Dundee up. One poor season doesn't make him a shite manager. Houstons tried but failed to take Falkirk up shitloads of times. Archibald was my choice in January I'm not sure if he would come though.

A_A wehatethehibs

There is no basis for appointing Hartley at all other than he played for us and would be cheap.

If you thought our recent cup record is bad, look at his. His Dundee team with the goals of Hemmings and Stewart couldn't make the top six, the next season he was on the way towards relegation. His turnover of players also made our January business look non eventful.

Would be inclined to keep an eye on how Gary Naysmith starts this season. He was a Plan B last time.

Chat of Houston as a dinosaur is unfair.. Falkirk have played some really decent stuff under him.

You play down the significance of Hartley playing for us, as though it doesn't matter. It does matter massively, he didn't just play for us he is an absolute club legend.

The heroic acts of Paul Hartley as a player in maroon, combined with his experience of the highs and lows of management set him up perfectly for the Hearts job. He would receive a hero's welcome and his relentless desire to smash hibs would permeate through the club.

O'Neill could do it on a part time basis with Macphee assisting. International matches do not interfere with league matches plus he lives in Edinburgh.

Jam Tarts 1874

Houston would be an uninspiring nightmare yes man to Levein. Did he no say he was retiring after falkirk too?

Houston has a decent CV, we cannot afford any more gambles.

Winston Ingram

Michael O'Neill suggestion is laughable. The guy earns about ?400,000 a year (minimum). Why in earth would he take on a part time job with NI on verge of going to World Cup? Cuckoo land stuff.

Mars plastic

I will give you a word of advice don't talk to or associate with Dundee fans, you may actually you may begin to believe the pish they spout and even defend their point of view. Dundonians are not to be trusted nor respected, case in point Ian Cathro

You are a slaister of Herculean proportions.

Looking at the practicalities of our situation and structure, Houston could actually be a workable solution. realistic next steps:

1. Levein steps up and Cathro spends a while in the background learning his trade

2. Houston comes in above Cathro, who either takes a step back or leaves altogether

3. They all leave and we rip up the model entirely and start again

I go for 3).

After the disaster last year the club missed a fantastic chance to clear out a failed system. With so many players leaving, clearing out the whole football department would have given such a cathartic boost to the fans. Certainly the person who clearly spent no time looking for alternative new managers when Robbie left with his tunnel vision for Cathro shouldn't be involved again.

Do you read what you write?

Utter nonesense!

Sy

Peter Houston should be in charge. The guy has a better CV then almost anyone out there. He works with young players, he plays good football and is also a mate of Levien. It's a no brained really...They can keep McPhee as coach or promote daly.

Steady the ship for a couple of seasons get Tynie back to the place it should be then if needs be Daly can take over having worked under an experienced coach.

Houston is no old school relic the guy has some brilliant ideas. Falkirk remarkably well given the limited budget and teams they were up against....add in he hates the hibs so no more half arsed derby performances either.

He would be my choice as well, Falkirk are good to watch and could bring a few promising young players with him.

letsalldothebeattie

Cathro won't be sacked. Same way Neilson wasn't. Same way that future head coaches won't be either. We are not a sacking club. Once folk start to realise that and move on the better and will stop a new thread like this every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineticBeat

Cathro won't be sacked. Same way Neilson wasn't. Same way that future head coaches won't be either. We are not a sacking club. Once folk start to realise that and move on the better and will stop a new thread like this every day

I don't think Cathro is safe from getting sacked (or "leaving with mutual consent"). However, it won't happen until it looks like 4th won't be achievable under him. 

To some on here that is already the case, Ann and Craig will probably wait until the first round of fixtures are done at least I imagine.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

George Burley is a great shout

Deserves a chance,but would have to prove certain things before being given the reigns.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Archibald. Failing him Peter Houston. Ann Budge should be thinking contingency plans

We can't afford any more experiments.

Our first 11 while weak in midfield isn't that bad.

If Cathro can't get the best out of them then he has to go. As simple as that.

I've been hoping and hoping it'd come good but I'm really starting to worry. Especially with the away games at the start of the season

The momentum might just be too strong against us

Jeez I hope I'm wrong

As for who to replace him I've no idea just now.

If our DoF is still in charge I think it really limits our search

Cut The Crap

I go for 3).

After the disaster last year the club missed a fantastic chance to clear out a failed system. With so many players leaving, clearing out the whole football department would have given such a cathartic boost to the fans. Certainly the person who clearly spent no time looking for alternative new managers when Robbie left with his tunnel vision for Cathro shouldn't be involved again.

Personally I think that chance has been missed. The time to do it was in May.

I also don't know whether Levein really is doing a fantastic job in his other areas of responsibility as is sometimes claimed on here. If he is, then why not let him carry on with that.

I also think we're underestimating the effect of bringing this new stand to life. We might unfortunately have to suffer some indifferent football until that's complete. The task might be to ensure indifferent football doesn't lead to relegation.

Fine-Young-Scallywag

Someone who has never managed in Scotland before. It seems Scottish coaches have this inherent fear of the old firm. Ant realistic foreign coaches looking for work?

3fingersreid

Given we have a stable boardroom,( last time he worked under Romanov )

Given he is a legend and would get the backing of the majority of the support

He would've had the respect of the players

I'd have given Robbo another shot

It's all hypothetical as Cathro won't be going anywhere

I P Knightley

I'll predict Steven Pressley. I'd be delighted to get someone in with a passion for Hearts and who can motivate our players. Nothing will happen until mid September though in my view. 

He may not be a proven, successful, manager but he has a passion about him which is lacking from Cathro. I have no doubt he'd get in about the players and get them to raise their games & come out fighting. The seethe from some would be hilarious, too!

September will be too late (unless there's a spectacular turnaround in performances). Cathro's been brought in as an experiment. I was one of those who were hugely excited to see Hearts trying something fresh and breaking the mould. I still think it was right to try something but, sadly, think now that there was an amount of truth in Kris Boyd's words - the guy doesn't have the charisma or presence to drive a squad.

I hope that Levein set some targets for his experiment and would be flabbergasted to learn that Cathro has failed to meet those targets. It would be utter folly to continue with the experiment beyond this point; to the possible point that, if he doesn't make changes now, Ms Budge should be having a serious word with him.

Whatever he wants the next step to be, he'll have to take a step back and look at the big picture. He's failed on this experiment - he runs the risk of losing the passion and support of the fans; he's going to have to compromise and bring in someone in whom the fans have confidence and can get excited about. 

Pressley or Hartley would deliver the excitement and passion. Levein loosening the reins a little and letting the coach/manager drive the squad a bit more would also help; right now, the fingers should be pointing at him as much as at Cathro.

I P Knightley

Keep IC. We are lucky to have him - that coaching pedigree, getting kept on at NUFC when Rafa was sacking all and sundry. 

He's been let down by our non existent/piss poor recruitment policy. 

Keep him? 

Maybe, but not as head coach. Get someone in with the charisma to make the squad tick on matchday. 

I can't imagine that Cathro is enjoying it. He had a good name and was coveted by many clubs in a coaching capacity. He's now a figure of ridicule, unable to get a full-time team in the top league to fire against a bunch of part-timers; beholden to Levein. For his own good, he needs to step back and rebuild his reputation. 

Someone who has never managed in Scotland before. It seems Scottish coaches have this inherent fear of the old firm. Ant realistic foreign coaches looking for work?

As right as that may or not be. We simply cannot afford another risky appointment. I'm not sure how many foreign coaches outwith the old firm have been massively successful. Not many that's for sure.

Archibald is a name being mentioned but what does he have over the likes of Houston? Paul Hartley is another and then Pressley....The only won with trophies in the cabinet is Houston. Add in he'll work with CL it's just seems such an obvious choice and will bring a degree of stability and success. Let him steady things get us back to a solid top 4 side and then and only then we start to look at more risky appoints if needs be.

I P Knightley

What about Peter Reid.......

He's not available (for personal reasons ... of being deid) but there's a good Volvo for sale.

Cut The Crap

He may not be a proven, successful, manager but he has a passion about him which is lacking from Cathro. I have no doubt he'd get in about the players and get them to raise their games & come out fighting. The seethe from some would be hilarious, too!

September will be too late (unless there's a spectacular turnaround in performances). Cathro's been brought in as an experiment. I was one of those who were hugely excited to see Hearts trying something fresh and breaking the mould. I still think it was right to try something but, sadly, think now that there was an amount of truth in Kris Boyd's words - the guy doesn't have the charisma or presence to drive a squad.

I hope that Levein set some targets for his experiment and would be flabbergasted to learn that Cathro has failed to meet those targets. It would be utter folly to continue with the experiment beyond this point; to the possible point that, if he doesn't make changes now, Ms Budge should be having a serious word with him.

Whatever he wants the next step to be, he'll have to take a step back and look at the big picture. He's failed on this experiment - he runs the risk of losing the passion and support of the fans; he's going to have to compromise and bring in someone in whom the fans have confidence and can get excited about. 

Pressley or Hartley would deliver the excitement and passion. Levein loosening the reins a little and letting the coach/manager drive the squad a bit more would also help; right now, the fingers should be pointing at him as much as at Cathro.

The last time I saw Pressley in a management context, he was so passionate that he had alienated his entire first-team squad at Coventry. Temperament-wise the polar opposite of Cathro, but the same end result. Not for me.

A_A wehatethehibs

Neilson wasn't sacked for good reason

He won football matches, a 50% win ratio. Neilson was objectively a good manager, without any shadow of a doubt. Dozens upon dozens of wins, why on earth would we have sacked him :lol:

Cathro has been here 7 or 8 months and hasn't reached double figures in terms of wins. If we open the new stand having crashed out the league cup and not won a game in the league then something has got to give. The stand will be empty, folk will be asking for ST refunds.

Is this a serious thread?

Are YOU serious???

That's worked with Cathro right enough.  

Archibald. Failing him Peter Houston. Ann Budge should be thinking contingency plans

Agreed - however some on here need to wake up to the realities if life under Levein - there is no way he will appoint an experienced Manager or Head Coach - and I doubt one would work under him anyway.

We need to get back to basics regarding our football structure before this 'experiment' gets us in too deep!

Get a grip that's football you win some you loose some such as life and it's a stupid cup that means nothing to me the Scottish cup is where it's at.

Seymour M Hersh

Why would you bother listening to a Dundee fan

Dundee fans are miserable arseholes who believe their club should be up there with Rangers and Celtic, Hearts aberdeen and and hibs when in reality they should be down there with livi and st mirren. Hartley had them punching well above their weight even surviving in the spfl 1 season.

Oh the irony when reading JKB.

Someone who actually knows about Scottish football.A motivator who gets the best out of the players.A man who takes no shit from the board.Im afraid this experiment has failed.It must be addressed or we are going to have a very bad season.

Get a grip that's football you win some you loose some such as life and it's a stupid cup that means nothing to me the Scottish cup is where it's at.

A five month reprieve for Cathro then ? 

Someone who actually knows about Scottish football.A motivator who gets the best out of the players.A man who takes no shit from the board.Im afraid this experiment has failed.It must be addressed or we are going to have a very bad season.

As if Levein would appoint someone in that category. 

Archived