Tziolis

Watt-Zeefuik

The Internet

It's fairly evident he's enjoying 6 months in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe whilst masquerading as the footballer he once was. His legs have clearly gone and seeing out the remainder of his career by jumping around a few clubs. Barely breaks sweat (not in a good way). We should not be playing guys who will not be with us next season. Simple as that.

We literally wouldn't be able to field a team if we did that.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy beside me calls him the Greek Jamie Hamill. Any forward movement stops with him. If we had a midfield with an Ian Black or Mikey Stewart in it I think he'd be alright but we don't. Awful mistake for the goal. Looked better further forward towards the end.

Beyond awful today. Directly at fault for the winning goal with his casual approach to a ball in the box.

Yes, he's clearly got ability, but his desire to use it seems to wane with every day.  I no longer care if this is the fault of his attitude or because Cathro's instructions make no sense to the players. 

We actually looked decent for stretches of the first half when the ball was in the County half, but we are so fragile at the back right now.

Never touches the ball with his left foot. Very awkward when passing to the right. Souttar will be a much better player.

True dat!

However, in isolation, I'd rather Kitchen was playing ahead of him. Clearly Tziolis is a talented, classy player who has had the ability to play at a good level. However, I don't think he is effective for us, particularly when we should be trying to be more direct.

I'm not a big fan of Kitchen, and clearly he couldn't lace Tziolis' boots in terms of pure footballing ability. However, I think he is more adaptable when one way of play isn't working. Also more mobile.

Neither player very effective in my opinion, but I'd rather persist with our captain, than someone who will be gone in three months time.

I agree it wouldn't be that easy especially given the injuries but you get my point. I think given the effort levels of some (I mean Johnsen tonight was an absolute disgrace) that we should as far as possible not play any of the loanees we are definitely not retaining. There is no doubt they will already have made some decisions on what they ave seen.

I don't see a problem with his desire and he certainly never hides IMO. Would love if he signed a longer contract.

Apart from his brain fart at the goal I thought he played well. Sure, he could have played the ball forward to static Bjorn surrounded by defenders but happily he didnt. I'd like to see Prince back in midfield alongside him.

heartsfc_fan

Up to his mistake for the goal he did fine. Bit too casual at times though.

Up to his mistake for the goal he did fine. Bit too casual at times though.

Unfortunately his style of play means one or two **** ups per game are inevitable. Tonight it cost us a point.

Decent game tonight but not cut out for Scottish football at all. You simply will not be allowed 4 or 5 touches in midfield.

Decent game tonight but not cut out for Scottish football at all. You simply will not be allowed 4 or 5 touches in midfield.

But he is allowed those touches and nearly always completes a pass. If he can do that in defensive midfield then we should move him further forward and he can do it there.

But he is allowed those touches and nearly always completes a pass. If he can do that in defensive midfield then we should move him further forward and he can do it there.

He was caught out several times tonight. Mostly when trying to be too clever and playing us into trouble. Further up the park would be less risk on the ball but more vulnerable to counter attacks as he clearly can't run.

A good player, but not for Scotland. He'd only be allowed the time he needs playing for Sellick.

He was caught out several times tonight. Mostly when trying to be too clever and playing us into trouble. Further up the park would be less risk on the ball but more vulnerable to counter attacks as he clearly can't run.

A good player, but not for Scotland. He'd only be allowed the time he needs playing for Sellick.

Caught out a few times maybe but a lot less than anybody else. I like how he takes a touch and gets his head up to see who's available. The problem arises when nobody is available and he has to turn or takeven another touch.

Caught out a few times maybe but a lot less than anybody else. I like how he takes a touch and gets his head up to see who's available. The problem arises when nobody is available and he has to turn or takeven another touch.

He'd have looked a class act in our 05/06 team.

I agree the lack of movement in front of him doesn't help but it looks to me he's not grasped the players are significantly worse than he's used to.

alanthejambo

He'd have looked a class act in our 05/06 team.

I agree the lack of movement in front of him doesn't help but it looks to me he's not grasped the players are significantly worse than he's used to.

This. He has great presence and ability on the ball. Unfortunately opposition nick the ball of him, nick past him or pass round him. He has occasional bursts of energy but it doesn't last. He is not effective for the team and therefore I think should lose his place.

Like one or two others decent.  he is going through realisation of dross syndrome. 

But he is one to coax back  in coming weeks I really do want him here. 

PS  guys encourage him dont boo. 

PS Cathro out next week or two   TINA. -

John Findlay

Bring back Prince. Offer him 5 year deal

How did your storming of the directors box go?

WheatfieldWarrior

Bizzarely played better when chucked up front and winning headers to knock down.

Massive mistake for the goal. Should have just cleared it.

He didn't hide away however and tried to look for the ball. I found Avolontis slowed our play more.

I think Avolontis being the only one making himself available to receive a pass slowed the play is the distinction I would make.

Martin was able to get more out of the rest of the team when he came on due to his own movement with the ball and range of passing.  

WheatfieldWarrior

Bring back Prince. Offer him 5 year deal

He's been out injured since the 4-0 win against Kilmarnock since December. 

Was on the bench tonight, so assume he is just back in training now.

Dallas Green

Martin was able to get more out of the rest of the team when he came on due to his own movement with the ball and range of passing.

I agree with this, I think if we played with Currie / Bikey he would attempt balls in behind the back four / diagonal behind the fullbacks.

He put in a good cruncher of a tackle too and looked to have the ball played to him.

Dallas Green

The problem arises when nobody is available and he has to turn or takeven another touch.

This.

It happened too often last night that there was no movement infront of him. Forcing him to play back or to the side.

I'm not accepting it's the other players fault. So many times he could have moved 5-10 yards with the ball but decided to pass back/ sideways to Av.

At one point Novak pushed forward into the space and ended up 70 yds up the pitch.

As soon as he came on Martin told both Greeks to get the ball moving over to Sowah.

Martin also produced more in 15 mins than Tziolis did in 75.

When Jen came on v SevCo he looked top class, since then he's been lazy and brutal. Caught in possession ALL the time, EVERY pass is Barry Ferguson style.

Not what we need.

Cowie - Kitchen - Djoum - Walker/Nicolson

Dr. Bapswent

Constantly looking for a forward pass but absolutely nothing in front of him. Djoum and Johnson? Pffft.

He's miles ahead of anything we have and I don't blame him for wondering what the **** he's doing here.

This

His style is slow and controlled.

All he does is pick the ball up and start things, and he is good at it.

Composed and intelligent.

The problem is he has nothing around him to help make that effective. So he is wasted either through us being directed into trying to play a style that doesn't fit him or not having the talent around him to create a product out of it.

No point having a go at him as he is doing what he does and clearly can't change that. We just need to find a way of making it effective, not complaining that he can't be something he isn't.

Said it on various threads in past 3 weeks - he is a freeloader and offers nothing absolutely nothing. People that defend and make excuses for him must have their eyes painted on.

Living in a luxury apartment at 500 quid a week and God only knows what wage he's stealing. Him and Martin should be driven to the airport.

X number of caps for Greece so f'n what ..Hanley will probably get 30+ for Scotland ..enough said.

He's another example of someone who is clearly another level but isn't cut out for Scottish football. He is composed on the ball but lacks any fight or pace which is pretty much all that's required in this league.

Would rather see one of our young lads in there tbh, isn't Angus Beith one to keep an eye on?

Thought he was more effective playing up front last night. Playing with Johnston alone up there was a huge mistake.

Things can only get better.....maybe!

Dallas Green

Said it on various threads in past 3 weeks - he is a freeloader and offers nothing absolutely nothing. People that defend and make excuses for him must have their eyes painted on.

Living in a luxury apartment at 500 quid a week and God only knows what wage he's stealing. Him and Martin should be driven to the airport.

X number of caps for Greece so f'n what ..Hanley will probably get 30+ for Scotland ..enough said.

Martin played well last night.

Also, how many times have Scotland won an international competition like Greece did?

When was the last time Scotland qualified for a competition?

Comparing him to Hanley deserves all the facepalms.

Tziolis isn't Julian Brellier or Bruno Aguiar.  He's also not Paul Hartley or Colin Cameron.

So what the F is he?

He doesn't break up play with solid tackles protecting the defence then giving the ball to the creative players, he doesn't make bursting penetrating runs to open up teams.

So what's the point???  Absolute passenger.

In my opinin he is no more than a luxury player. I have really not been impressed with him so far.

He has made a good few mistakes now and his lackadaisical approach is frustrating and not effective in the Scottihs game.

We are spoiled as far as Greeks are concerned.He probably is or was a good player.Takis he is not.

Jambo 4 Ever

Agree 100%

People on here cream themselves because of his 'pedigree' but so what!

Would much rather have a young Scottish / British player or atleast someone who knows the league, etc 

maroonnicky63

Look it is clear to me that the issues we are having stems from the back 4 along with the holding midfielder , practically every pass from them was either sideways or back wards to Jack Hamilton , I seen on a few occasions Cowie and Nicholson moving into good areas and asking for it and instead of passing it to them they decided to pass it back to the keeper or to pass it sideways. This is not a hard fix and can be sorted out on the training ground and if it is the same in the next game then you really need to look at the coach.

I do have to say I like Cathro and I am sure after last nights performance he will sort this out

They are all good players no doubt but we move the ball far to slow and by the time we get it forward our front players are all covered.

Playing like a guy who isn't interested in being at Hearts next year, I watched footage of him when he was signed, he is a far better player than the one we are watching.

If the guy could kick a ball with his left foot we wouldn't have lost a goal yesterday.

As usual with our support totally over hyped cos he came on when we were mauling Rangers (without him by the way) and he stood and passed two yards a couple of times ripping the pee cos game was over as a contest. Greek centre half also awful!

As usual with our support totally over hyped cos he came on when we were mauling Rangers (without him by the way) and he stood and passed two yards a couple of times ripping the pee cos game was over as a contest. Greek centre half also awful!

Arthur Morgan

Tziolis isn't Julian Brellier or Bruno Aguiar.  He's also not Paul Hartley or Colin Cameron.

So what the F is he?

He doesn't break up play with solid tackles protecting the defence then giving the ball to the creative players, he doesn't make bursting penetrating runs to open up teams.

So what's the point???  Absolute passenger.

Absolutely 100% this.

Seymour M Hersh

He was at fault for the goal and a little too casual at times but for the OP to try and describe him as beyond awful is pathetic. Beyond awful was his long drink of water fellow American. Maybe the OP should sick to gridiron or ice hockey.

hearts related nickname

He'd only be allowed the time he needs playing for Sellick.

Does that not say more about his team mates than him?

Marooned Abroad

What a load of garbage I'm reading here from some of you. A guy with over 60 caps for Greece not good enough for the SPL? Get real.....he is a class player who needs to be surrounded by people who complement his skills. Why does he pass sideways....because those in front of him have no idea how to use the channels. Lateral runs into space seem to be missing from the DNA of the players in front of him.....Johnsen being a prime culprit.

We need to build a team round Tziolis, not throw him away because most of the guys he is playing with are not up to it.

Also, weren't many of you calling Martin a load of c**p a week or so. Bin him seemed to be the loud cry. Now after a 15 minute cameo he is the man it seems.

For goodness sake, let's stop making instant judgements. We're going through a nightmare period, but we've been in this position many times before. Take a deep breath and get behind what the current management team is trying to do. If it hasn't worked by the end of the season, by all means then start calling for heads to roll.

'Though we sometimes go down we will aye go back up' - remember that line? That's what supporting the Hearts is all about and it's unlikely to change in the short term future. The Club is being rebuilt by Mrs Budge on solid foundations and I've no doubt that if hard decisions are needed on the playing management side at the appropriate time she will not back away. In my view that time is not now. Keep the faith!

HHGH

What a load of garbage I'm reading here from some of you. A guy with over 60 caps for Greece not good enough for the SPL? Get real.....he is a class player who needs to be surrounded by people who complement his skills. Why does he pass sideways....because those in front of him have no idea how to use the channels. Lateral runs into space seem to be missing from the DNA of the players in front of him.....Johnsen being a prime culprit.

We need to build a team round Tziolis, not throw him away because most of the guys he is playing with are not up to it.

Also, weren't many of you calling Martin a load of c**p a week or so. Bin him seemed to be the loud cry. Now after a 15 minute cameo he is the man it seems.

For goodness sake, let's stop making instant judgements. We're going through a nightmare period, but we've been in this position many times before. Take a deep breath and get behind what the current management team is trying to do. If it hasn't worked by the end of the season, by all means then start calling for heads to roll.

'Though we sometimes go down we will aye go back up' - remember that line? That's what supporting the Hearts is all about and it's unlikely to change in the short term future. The Club is being rebuilt by Mrs Budge on solid foundations and I've no doubt that if hard decisions are needed on the playing management side at the appropriate time she will not back away. In my view that time is not now. Keep the faith!

HHGH

He wasn't good enough last night and he was the main reason every move slowed to a near half.

60 caps mean **** all if he won't move into space.

They still mean **** all if he can only pass back or sideways.

They definitely mean **** all when he can't clear it and they score the winner.

It's not the players around him because options were often there. He chose to slow it down and pass it back.

He is talented. But his pedigree means **** all if he isn't effective.

Last night he was counter effective.

HHGH

Well said Sir!

Marooned Abroad

He wasn't good enough last night and he was the main reason every move slowed to a near half.

60 caps mean **** all if he won't move into space.

They still mean **** all if he can only pass back or sideways.

They definitely mean **** all when he can't clear it and they score the winner.

It's not the players around him because options were often there. He chose to slow it down and pass it back.

He is talented. But his pedigree means **** all if he isn't effective.

Last night he was counter effective.

I thought apart from his gaffe at the goal he played last night as well as the other players in the team allowed him to. Maybe we were watching a different game.

With a back four and two up front, I think our best midfield would have Kitchen ahead of Tziolis. Kitchen has a lot of fight in him, and as long as he plays that role on his own and our midfield isn't crammed when he does it well:

Kitchen

Walker     Martin    Nicholson

Marooned Abroad

With a back four and two up front, I think our best midfield would have Kitchen ahead of Tziolis. Kitchen has a lot of fight in him, and as long as he plays that role on his own and our midfield isn't crammed when he does it well:

Kitchen

Walker     Martin    Nicholson

For whatever reason Kitchen (another Internationalist) seems to have lost confidence having gone out of favour. We need fight in midfield and he is the best ball winner we have, therefore I agree with what you say. Th team can accommodate both him and Tziolis as long as they are not being asked to play the same role.

Archived