memories of the 80s

cookieboy

Munich.

Off work for five weeks after that wee adventure.

Still suffering to this day.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Middlesbrough mid / late '70s I remember it. Middle of winter, journey down the A68 in freezing conditions in a car with no water bottle, driver could hardly see the road! We were outplayed and well beaten. We were looking forward to seeing their new star, the teenage (16?) Stan Cummins, it was claimed he was going to as big as George Best, I think he actually played quite well that day but never went on to be a huge star, a bit like our Ralph Callaghan! Hearts fans in most parts of the ground with little / no segregation made it lively atmosphere!!

Bridge of Djoum

Walking up Easter Road after a derby, looking ahead and behind and just seeing a sea of maroon. If we won, which we invariably did, that sight plus the signing was just incredible.

The big Evening News sign at the Gorgie Road end. Pink newspaper in the pub later on a Saturday evening.

Perth to Paisley

Two things that come to mind.

1.Ramps in the ground.

Gorgie Road terracing one was very very steep - the other one was at the Wheatfield turnstiles coming up to see 'pitch level'

2.Sandy (Henry?) - old guy at half way line who had a voice like a foghorn and wore his marroon flat cap with pride

Happy daze!

I remember the sign at the Gorgie Road end that told you the half time scores but you needed to buy a program to work out what game the letters represented - nice marketing ploy Hearts. :(

Always thought the pie stall at the back of the terracing which is now the Wheatfield was massive.

The cheese rolls, meat rolls, cheese and meat rolls guy used to travel on the football special trains to away games.

Police hats getting lobbed about the shed was a regular occurrence.

A bomb scare at Motherwell.

Miners collection buckets during the strike.

Tynecastle bus to Prague.Some numpty being sick on the same bus in Gorgie Road.

Aberdeen beach end being rammed,then a night out in Montrose to finish the day off.

Think I was on that said bus ... almost a full punch up before we had left Gorgie 

So many good and not so good memories this was my teenage age years.

Travelling to away games and the Busy Bee bus never turning up. Especially a cup game through in Motherwell one night ended up myself Darren Murray his big brother Gary and another person quickly jumped in a taxi to Haymarket turned out there was no trains, so we counted what money we had and managed to talk a taxi into taking us through for ?18 haha ?18 from Haymarket to Motherwell imagine the cost of that now?

The pish waterfall running down the back of the shed.

Standing in the Gorgie Road end for games when in the 1st division and it costing only 50p entry.

Archie McPherson "There's no finer sight in Scottish Football" when commenting on the twirlie against Celtic in the 1-0 SCQF at Tynie.

Hearts fans taking up the whole Broomloan end at Ibrox.

Knowing being a Jambo other Jambos always had your back, and no Hearts fan was ever left.

Beating Hibs 3-2 on our first season back in the premier league, and the derby domination kicking off from that.

The walk up the gravel path into Easter road, and trying to get out the same way life in your hands stuff.

Great European nights, the UEFA cup run beating Bayern at Tynie (Best ever Euro night IMO)

Could be here all day some brilliant memories and times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the sign at the Gorgie Road end that told you the half time scores but you needed to buy a program to work out what game the letters represented - nice marketing ploy Hearts. :(

Always thought the pie stall at the back of the terracing which is now the Wheatfield was massive.

The cheese rolls, meat rolls, cheese and meat rolls guy used to travel on the football special trains to away games.

Police hats getting lobbed about the shed was a regular occurrence.

The police hats was regular as you say was great fun usually accompanied by the Z cars tune being belted out iirc

Another thing I remember was the "Gorgie Wave" started in the shed usually got to the main stand or just about a quarter way long it and stopped then got a big round of boo's followed by a "So fecking boring oh you are so fecking boring" the equivalent now would be it starting in Section N and getting to about section B and be over, too many scared they'd drop their cucumber sannies or fast asleep. :biggrin:

We_are_the_Hearts

So many good and not so good memories this was my teenage age years.

Travelling to away games and the Busy Bee bus never turning up. Especially a cup game through in Motherwell one night ended up myself Darren Murray his big brother Gary and another person quickly jumped in a taxi to Haymarket turned out there was no trains, so we counted what money we had and managed to talk a taxi into taking us through for ?18 haha ?18 from Haymarket to Motherwell imagine the cost of that now?

The pish waterfall running down the back of the shed.

Standing in the Gorgie Road end for games when in the 1st division and it costing only 50p entry.

Archie McPherson "There's no finer sight in Scottish Football" when commenting on the twirlie against Celtic in the 1-0 SCQF at Tynie.

Hearts fans taking up the whole Broomloan end at Ibrox.

Knowing being a Jambo other Jambos always had your back, and no Hearts fan was ever left.

Beating Hibs 3-2 on our first season back in the premier league, and the derby domination kicking off from that.

The walk up the gravel path into Easter road, and trying to get out the same way life in your hands stuff.

Great European nights, the UEFA cup run beating Bayern at Tynie (Best ever Euro night IMO)

Could be here all day some brilliant memories and times

This was defo a sign of the times. The Hearts family has changed. Everything is much more serious now and people are so easily offended/upset. The hoo ha on here about a stewards hat was incredible

stirlingshirejambo

Think I was on that said bus ... almost a full punch up before we had left Gorgie

Yes the bus to Prague

I remember it well and have to admit it was one of our party of 4 that was sick on bus

Seem to remember it getting a bit heated

Belated apologies as the smell still haunts me to this day

Quite how we were allowed to leave service station when half the shop was stolen by various travellers on the bus also still amazes me

That trip was a real eye opener for a teenager

Nelly Terraces

This was defo a sign of the times. The Hearts family has changed. Everything is much more serious now and people are so easily offended/upset. The hoo ha on here about a stewards hat was incredible

Remember getting chased by a large gang of skinheads at Dumfries & legging it to the boozer where the older lads on the Manor were drinking & them coming out & kicking seven shades out our attackers. Top days on the road - some of the stuff that went on was crazy, but it was just part of the times - the thread on here about those kids nicking a wee drum was comedy gold, some of the greeting about a pretty innocuous thing like that sums up the different world we live in now.

Bazzas right boot

Tbh the world s change, it was over 30 year ago.

The 80's was different to the 40's and 50's.

2015 is different to the 80's.

It's just the way.

Good thread, I was a 90's teenager so good to hear stories from the 80's.

Time before sky buggered everything up.

I, too, was surprised that the Middlesbrough (0-3) match was in 1976. I was sure it was a couple of years later. Shows what age does for the memory.

After the pitch invasion and managing to evade the polis horse and their fans, even with Ginger rabbiting on, despite being told to keep his mouth shut, we eventually headed back up the road in the minibus driven by me (that fly b@$t@rd Colinmaroon always seemed to do the driving on the way there and I got lumbered with driving back!).

We stopped in Newcastle in time to see that we were the headline item on the Six O'Clock News. No mobile 'phones in those days, so frantic calls home from pub 'phone to worried relatives. Television made more of it than necessary, but it was one of the scariest post-match adventures in my time as a Jambo.

Thousands of jambos standing outside the Gorgie road end screaming "we want the hibees"so they could give them a 'welcome to Gorgie' shall we say after hibs beat us on pens after a 2-2 draw.

Going into Top Sport with the auld boy pre-match to get trainers. Usually Adidas Kicks.

I'm sure Adidas Kicks were a 70's trainer, that's when I had mine!

Going into Top Sport with the auld boy pre-match to get trainers. Usually Adidas Kicks.

Got my Paris 84 t-shirt from there and had them put "Frankie Says FTH" (but not abbreviated) on the back which was proudly worn at the derby when Derek O'Connor scored the late time winner and also in Paris a few days later.

I'm sure Adidas Kicks were a 70's trainer, that's when I had mine!

Defo an 80's trainer as well, mate! I had umpteen pairs of them.

We were scaffs in the 80's so couldn't afford Sambas, Mambas or Bambas

Went to school with the girl who's parents owned Topsport. Think everyone went there for their Hearts gear and badges etc.

And to the other poster about Adidas kicks, they were definitely an 80's trainer as well.

Watching Saint and Greavsie....Then my mum going into her purse to give me my 50p for bus fares and a couple of quid to get into the game and maybe a pie off it.....

Used to be my pre match ritual on a Saturday before a game at Tynie as a 12, 13 year old .....:)

Frankie says hearts2 hibs1 t shirt. Still got it. Smiths menswear stickers on the benches. Beating hibs 3-2 at tynie and after the game heading onto gorgie rd from mcleod st and my dad telling me and my bro to head left and run likr hell and looking back along gorgie rd to see the carnage behind. Currie Hearts bus from the weavers knowe. Feckin mental bus full of characters. Going to leisureland or brattisanis for fish and chips after home games. What a life defining era! Oh how I miss those days!

Buggies on Dalry Road with the mirror windows.  We could see out, they couldn't see in.  Handy.

You would probably get a lifetime banning order now with 12 months in Saughton.

Watching Saint and Greavsie....Then my mum going into her purse to give me my 50p for bus fares and a couple of quid to get into the game and maybe a pie off it.....

Used to be my pre match ritual on a Saturday before a game at Tynie as a 12, 13 year old .....:)

The ITV Chart Show and the American Top 40 Show with Casey Kasem before S&G!!

The ITV Chart Show and the American Top 40 Show with Casey Kasem before S&G!!

haha, that slipped my mind. Loved the chart show...

N Lincs Jambo

Got my Paris 84 t-shirt from there and had them put "Frankie Says FTH" (but not abbreviated) on the back which was proudly worn at the derby when Derek O'Connor scored the late time winner and also in Paris a few days later.

There was a guy on the train I got from Dieppe to Paris with that t-shirt on. Was a bit jealous at the time!

Since we're talking 80's fashions as well here's a nice wee list to get started. Feel free to add more.

Snow wash jeans.

Waffle trousers

Pringle jumpers

Galini sweatshirts

Le shark (Lol)

Pepe jeans

Pod sandals

Chunky knit jumpers

Nike Air Max

Nike Shell suits (Cringe)

Radiation jackets

Permed hair at the back (Bad bad hair style)

Since we're talking 80's fashions as well here's a nice wee list to get started. Feel free to add more.

Snow wash jeans.

Waffle trousers

Pringle jumpers

Galini sweatshirts

Le shark (Lol)

Pepe jeans

Pod sandals

Chunky knit jumpers

Nike Air Max

Radiation jackets

Ritzy and Razzy jeans.

Snow wash jeans.

Waffle trousers

Pringle jumpers

Galini sweatshirts

Le shark (Lol)

Pepe jeans

Pod sandals

Chunky knit jumpers

Nike Air Max

Radiation jackets

Loving this thread likes.

Zip Up on Lothian Road

Pacino Jeans

El Charo

Alfonso's Hairdresses at Lochrin Place

Best Conpany jumpers

Adidas Ivan Lendl range

Verte Valley jeans

Nigel Cabourn jackets

Chevignon

Diadora Bjorn Borg

Head bags

Karimor rucksacks

Zip Up on Lothian Road

Pacino Jeans

El Charo

Best Conpany jumpers

Adidas Ivan Lendl range

Verte Valley jeans

Nigel Cabourn jackets

Chevignon

Diadora Bjorn Borg

Head bags

Karimor rucksacks

Good list!

One I don't know though - Verte Valley jeans?

Good list!

Had a pair of these when I was at high school. 100% confident I've got the name right!

You seem to know your 80's. Let's see a list!

Good list!

Just did a quick google search and they were actually called Verte Vallee

Zip Up on Lothian Road

Pacino Jeans

El Charo

Best Conpany jumpers

Adidas Ivan Lendl range

Verte Valley jeans

Nigel Cabourn jackets

Chevignon

Diadora Bjorn Borg

Head bags

Karimor rucksacks

I have a vague recollection of Alfonso's was more an Alfie's hairdresser myself ;-) just down Fleshmarket Close. Had to time it right though as all the HBC and CCS went there as well lol.

Woods barbers up the bridges after high school on a friday. The trading post up the bridges just down from Paninari. Visits to Goldbergs on a sunday with the parents, dinner at the purple square(anyone else remember that cafe?) Tarrys for a chippy in corstorphine, a quarter of aniseed twists at the duchess. A team on a saturday night. Forgot how good a time it was.

I have a vague recollection of Alfonso's was more an Alfie's hairdresser myself ;-) just down Fleshmarket Close. Had to time it right though as all the HBC and CCS went there as well lol.

:lol:

Was the same when the flumes opened up at the Commie pool. Mind the rumours that folk said the CCS were sticking razor blades to them with chewing gum!!

Zip Up on Lothian Road

Pacino Jeans

El Charo

Best Conpany jumpers

Adidas Ivan Lendl range

Verte Valley jeans

Nigel Cabourn jackets

Chevignon

Diadora Bjorn Borg

Head bags

Karimor rucksacks

Alfonso...that moustache.  Blue Rucanor bags (not jumpers) for goal posts at Tynie annex - and the flush for missing a sitter.

:lol:

Was the same when the flumes opened up at the Commie pool. Mind the rumours that folk said the CCS were sticking razor blades to them with chewing gum!!

I'd forgotten all about the razor blade carry on With chewing gum stuck inside the flumes. Was it just a myth or did it actually happen ?

I'd forgotten all about the razor blade carry on With chewing gum stuck inside the flumes. Was it just a myth or did it actually happen ?

I'm not aware of anyone who was slashed from toe to head!!

William H. Bonney

The McDonald's sign in the away end. I used to be jealous of the away fans thinking they were all eating Big Macs.

I'm not aware of anyone who was slashed from toe to head!!

Haha no neither am I.

Remember Buster Browns ? Friday night under 18's disco again full of HBC till they all got run out one week ;-) lol

There was a guy on the train I got from Dieppe to Paris with that t-shirt on. Was a bit jealous at the time!

I was 13 at the time and travelled by train with family from Edin to Paris (ferry at Dover/Calais), but not sure if we went via Dieppe. Still my only European trip, loved it. Still got the t-shirt somewhere.

Shared the trip back with the Bonnyrigg Hearts including the late Tam Heaney who was a larger than life character. Great guys.

Alfonso...that moustache. Blue Rucanor bags (not jumpers) for goal posts at Tynie annex - and the flush for missing a sitter.

I think Alfonso hid all his cash behind that moustache.

Haha no neither am I.

Remember Buster Browns ? Friday night under 18's disco again full of HBC till they all got run out one week ;-) lol

N Lincs Jambo

I was 13 at the time and travelled by train with family from Edin to Paris (ferry at Dover/Calais), but not sure if we went via Dieppe. Still my only European trip, loved it. Still got the t-shirt somewhere.

Shared the trip back with the Bonnyrigg Hearts including the late Tam Heaney who was a larger than life character. Great guys.

Wouldn't have been you then Hook. They guy wearing it was early 20s, totally pished and quite a scary, menacing individual. The ticket inspector thought twice about asking for his ticket. Brilliant trip apart from the score!

Getting my Hearts song single signed by Henry Smith at John Menzies. Also getting a pictorial history book for my birthday.

Haha no neither am I.

I do mind BB's but never really started going there until it became Mercado.

I mind Zenatec used to advertise in the match programme in the 80's.

I do mind BB's but never really started going there until it became Mercado.

I mind Zenatec used to advertise in the match programme in the 80's.

Cinderellas was another one.

Cinderellas was another one.

Got free tickets for my 18th in there took a busload in fae Carstairs

Archived