Any referees on here?

david mcgee

When Ashley Cole tried to break the leg of the United kid, did it matter that the ball was out of play?

I was under the impression that any foul inside the box would merit a penalty regardless of where the ball was.

Am i sadly lacking in my knowledge of the rules?

Kind regards in anticipation of your measured responses.

Doctor FinnBarr

When Ashley Cole tried to break the leg of the United kid, did it matter that the ball was out of play?

I was under the impression that any foul inside the box would merit a penalty regardless of where the ball was.

When Tony the Donkey decked Levein in the box at Darkheid whilst waiting on a corner we got the pen.

:thumbsup:

When Tony the Donkey decked Levein in the box at Darkheid whilst waiting on a corner we got the pen.

:thumbsup:

I remember Tosh McKinlay being sent off for taking his anger out on one of the Ibrox posts whilst der hun got another unmerited corner. ( think that was the game we threatened to walk off)

I remember Tosh McKinlay being sent off for taking his anger out on one of the Ibrox posts whilst der hun got another unmerited corner. ( think that was the game we threatened to walk off)

Was that not Neil Pointon?:unsure:

Maybe it wasnt at Ibrox, and wasnt the game we threatened to walk off.

Cant even remember if ive taken my tablets today?

When we played Ayr in the Scottish Cup in 98 while waiting for a corner to come in an Ayr player decked Hammy and got sent off, we only got the corner

It's one of those offences that is seldom given. Defenders often make lunging late challenges as players shoot but seem to get away with it. If the forward gets the shot away, then it doesn't appear to make any difference if he is subjected to a late challenge, which IMO should merit a penalty.

Consider what would happen at the other end of the pitch, if a goalkeeper was clearing the ball and a forward came in late with his studs up and took the keeper out. I would guarantee you that it would be a red card every time.

As far as I'm concenered it is a tackle attempted while the ball is in play and thus a penalty should be given. In situations where an incident is unconnected with the actual play, like the off the ball incidents decribed above, then it is probably ok to resart the game with a trhow in, corner or whateveer.

There was an incident in the 60's/70s where Hearts were on the attack and the ball was in the opposition penalty box (can't remember who we were playing) Eddie Thompson was in our own penalty box and lamped their forward, and a penalty was given.

If the ball is out of play, action could still be taken against the player but no penalty may be awarded.

If a foul is committed in the penalty box (by a member of the defending team, and the ball is in play anywhere on the field, a penalty should be awarded.

Consider what would happen at the other end of the pitch, if a goalkeeper was clearing the ball and a forward came in late with his studs up and took the keeper out. I would guarantee you that it would be a red card every time.

You'd think so, eh?

0,,10289~9940751,00.gif

Another opion available to the ref is the use of the advantage rule, where a team doesn't get sufficient advantage over 2 or 3 seconds, then he can bring back play to the original offence.

If the ball is out of play, action could still be taken against the player but no penalty may be awarded.

If a foul is committed in the penalty box (by a member of the defending team, and the ball is in play anywhere on the field, a penalty should be awarded.

So for example if Rory Delap or our once celebrated long throw expert Robbie Neilson was about to launch an exocet throw in, provided the defender timed the bundling of the attacker onto the hallowed turf fractions before the ball entered the playing surface, it would be impossible for the referee to give a penalty.

Is this correct?

So for example if Rory Delap or our once celebrated long throw expert Robbie Neilson was about to launch an exocet throw in, provided the defender timed the bundling of the attacker onto the hallowed turf fractions before the ball entered the playing surface, it would be impossible for the referee to give a penalty.

Is this correct?

Yes

Yes

And because a corner kick is taken with the ball being within the playing area, any said bundling would result in a penalty?

Velly interesting dont you think?

You quite often see it at corners. Often when a ref sees a foul before the kick is taken he just speaks to the players rather than award a free kick/penalty. I was watching a Blue square prem game recently when the defender elbowed the attacker in the mush before a corner. He was promptly ordered off and the game restarted with the corner.

I think the ref got this one spot on.

Got ganged up on by my mates one time arguing this. They all shouted me down saying that a penalty can be given at any stage.

Nothing more frustrating than being right and getting shouted down as talking shit. :seething:

You quite often see it at corners. Often when a ref sees a foul before the kick is taken he just speaks to the players rather than award a free kick/penalty. I was watching a Blue square prem game recently when the defender elbowed the attacker in the mush before a corner. He was promptly ordered off and the game restarted with the corner.

I think the ref got this one spot on.

But surely the ball is in play at a corner, or is it only in play once the ball has been struck, because if that is the case it would open a whole new can of worms.

Got ganged up on by my mates one time arguing this. They all shouted me down saying that a penalty can be given at any stage.

Nothing more frustrating than being right and getting shouted down as talking shit. :seething:

I think it makes doing this :verysmug:even more satisfying when YET AGAIN you are proven right.

I think it makes doing this :verysmug: even more satisfying when YET AGAIN you are proven right.

It was years ago Dalton, but stuck right in my throat. The ship sailed and I knew they would go on their way thinking they had bested me with superior knowledge.

Not the case.

It's never the case, let's have it right. :smuggy:

It's one of those offences that is seldom given. Defenders often make lunging late challenges as players shoot but seem to get away with it. If the forward gets the shot away, then it doesn't appear to make any difference if he is subjected to a late challenge, which IMO should merit a penalty.

As far as I'm concenered it is a tackle attempted while the ball is in play and thus a penalty should be given. In situations where an incident is unconnected with the actual play, like the off the ball incidents decribed above, then it is probably ok to resart the game with a trhow in, corner or whateveer.

Agreed!!!

Seriously referees, this is now intreging me.

What constitutes the ball being "in play"?

If the ball is placed for a corner or a free kick, does that constitute " in play"?

Cant ever remember Andy Gray, saying, "Look Richard if i take this back you can see the defender mullered the forward a fraction of a second prior to the free kick being struck, meaning the ball wasnt in play, thus it cant be a penalty."

Or perhaps you know different?

It was indeed, he booted the post and gave the linesman the sharp edge of his tongue. Davie Weir got sent off for squaring up to Gordon Durie who went down as if a sniper in the Copland road had shot him.

Ritchie & Bruno were the other players sent off.

Full back 4 cleaned out before we were due to play Celtic in the cup in the midweek. Enter stage left Soccer Mercenary (copyright James Farry esq) Andy Thorn and an extra time goal from Robbo and the jobs a good 'un!!!

Happy Days!!

If the ball is placed for a corner or a free kick, does that constitute " in play"?

Cant ever remember Andy Gray, saying, "Look Richard if i take this back you can see the defender mullered the forward a fraction of a second prior to the free kick being struck, meaning the ball wasnt in play, thus it cant be a penalty."

Is it not just if the game is ongoing, which would include a corner or a throw in, rather than the position of the ball?

From a throw in : when the ball has been thrown back into play.

From a corner kick - when the ball has been kicked into play.

Otherwise the ball is not deemed to be in play and so the complaints about any penalty arising while the ball is out of play aren't valid. But that doesn't mean the ref shouldn't be awarding red or yellow cards in lieu of any offences which arise while the ball is out of play. Something which O'Dowd chose to forget today.

Is it not just if the game is ongoing, which would include a corner or a throw in, rather than the position of the ball?

So in post 2, where Tony Mowbray got sent off and gave away a penalty whilst waiting on the corner kick, the ref got it wrong?

So in post 2, where Tony Mowbray got sent off and gave away a penalty whilst waiting on the corner kick, the ref got it wrong?

If the ball wasn't in play it could not be a penalty.

If the ball wasn't in play it could not be a penalty.

So , we are all agreed the ball merely being positioned for a corner, within the triangle does not constitute the ball being "in play".

Are we?

No mate, I'm suggesting that the game is "ongoing" while waiting for a corner or a throw in to be taken, so the ref got it right.

So , we are all agreed the ball merely being positioned for a corner, within the triangle does not constitute the ball being "in play".

Are we?

correct.

No mate, I'm suggesting that the game is "ongoing" while waiting for a corner or a throw in to be taken, so the ref got it right.

Incorrect. the ball might as well be in Row Z of the main stand.

Are we?

No, I'm not! :unsure:

correct.

Now im confused as f00k?

So an infringement in the box cannot be deemed a penalty if for example any corner or free kick is not "in play". ( ie. the ball having been kicked)

Incorrect. the ball might as well be in Row Z of the main stand.

Not convinced mate. As a corner or a throw in are an integral part of the game I think that play is ongoing.

I think... :blink:

Not convinced mate. As a corner or a throw in are an integral part of the game I think that play is ongoing.

I think... :blink:

I actually think if you asked ten qualified refs about this they would come up with at least five different answers, hence why no referees have responded so far. ( currently reading through their rule books)

I actually think if you asked ten qualified refs about this they would come up with at least five different answers, hence why no referees have responded so far. ( currently reading through their rule books)

Maybe it depends on who's playing? :rolleyes:

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but ........

can we be sure that Hernandez's shot had crossed the by-line by the time he got pole-axed? For all we know, the ball may have still been in play (albeit travelling at 90mph) when Ashley Cole stuck the boot in.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, but ........

can we be sure that Hernandez's shot had crossed the by-line by the time he got pole-axed? For all we know, the ball may have still been in play (albeit travelling at 90mph) when Ashley Cole stuck the boot in.

Sky showed a replay which showed the ball was over the line by the time Hernandez was crunched.

Red card and a goal kick I think would have been the right decision.

There was an incident in the 60's/70s where Hearts were on the attack and the ball was in the opposition penalty box (can't remember who we were playing) Eddie Thompson was in our own penalty box and lamped their forward, and a penalty was given.

It was Airdrie in a League Cup section game. I remember the incident because I had never seen this happen before and think it cost us the match 2-1. As you say, the ball was up the other end of the park at the time.

as the ball was out of play when the tackle accured, then its not a penalty, saying that tho, if it was in the SPL & it was against either of the uglies, it would have been given.

Pathetic. He tried to block the shot and took the man out. May still have been a red as it was reckless but in no way was it intentional.

And who cares.....it's only Man U.

Grade 6 ref.

That should have been a penalty yesterday & a red card. It was a late challenge during play, end of.

O'Dowd prob did not see it but the lino did. frankly, they bottled the decision.

Any offences that take place in the box whilst the thrower has the ball or the ball is in the corner arc are "not in play", so penalties cannot be given.

Pathetic. He tried to block the shot and took the man out. May still have been a red as it was reckless but in no way was it intentional.

And who cares.....it's only Man U.

You seem to.... :blink:

Any offences that take place in the box whilst the thrower has the ball or the ball is in the corner arc are "not in play", so penalties cannot be given.

Ah well, I was sure that in these senarios the Ref could award a penalty.

*sigh*

I'm wrong again.

:sad:

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Probably been answered already but when the ball's out of play no free kick or penalty can be awarded for any infringement. Technically the game has stopped but any foul play, voilent conduct or dissent can be penalised by a yellow or red card. The ref had obviously decided the ball was out of play by the time contact was made so the only debate would be was it in or out at the time of contact? and it all happened so fast that it would be impossible to say, probably even with slow motion. I still think though, that Cole should have seen red.

Changing the subject completely but still on referees.

I see that not one single rangers player was booked yesterday.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you leave the field of play after scoring a goal it is an automatic booking? Jelavic and Lafferty both left the field of play , and by a good margin, after scoring.

Am I just being stupid here or do the rules change when it is Jedward involved.

avhudtheteeshirt

So if the ball is out of play then it is assault, and the Police should intervene to apprehend the assailant?

Changing the subject completely but still on referees.

I see that not one single rangers player was booked yesterday.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you leave the field of play after scoring a goal it is an automatic booking? Jelavic and Lafferty both left the field of play , and by a good margin, after scoring.

Am I just being stupid here or do the rules change when it is Jedward involved.

Leaving the field of play in itself is not enough to merit a booking but if you go into the crowd then you will be booked.

Snakesmith made a point of celebrating in front of the Tic fans, cupping his ears, etc. He didn't leave the pitch but I would have thought it warranted a booking?

Something that I've always wondered is 'when is the game finished'? We seem to have received a fair number of red cards after the final whistle has gone - Hamilton for instance. What is the time limit for this? If a player shouts abuse at the ref in the car park later on can he be red carded? If a player sees the ref in a restaurant later that evening and decides to have a word or two can he get a red card?

When exactly is the game over???

Archived