"Who's more hated at Ibrox? Is it Lennon or the taxman?"

tartofmidlothian

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Lennon yesterday, to Chick Young:

"It's not us who are stoking up the fires, it's some of your fellow colleagues in the media."

Facepalm.

Graham Spiers on Lennon in The Observer:

"But I wouldn't dismiss the notion that he brings some of his troubles down upon his own head. Yes, he does tick every box in the Celtic, Catholic Irish narrative and that elicits a bigoted response from some people. But this only explains part of it. He is always on the front foot and he never retreats when others have found it more prudent to do so. I've seen him give the middle finger to supporters who were giving him abuse at a couple of grounds."

Good stuff from Spiers - back on form after a howfin' couple of months.

It's evident that the Record's readership does not contain a significant amount of Hearts supporters otherwise surely Hearts would have had some form of apology given some of the xenophobia that has crept in during its coverage of the club on certain occasions since 2005.

This apology to Celtic is not heartfelt. Given declining sales in the newspaper trade all over the UK, what the Record has left is largely dependent on those wanting to read about Rangers and Celtic. If one section were to disappear, their sales would take a significant dent. That's why they've apologised in order to claw back those Celtic fans who before last Saturday bought their paper. It's certainly not an apology to Celtic or Neil Lennon. Had Celtic not kicked off about it, I doubt they would have apologised off their own back.

Archived