"Who's more hated at Ibrox? Is it Lennon or the taxman?"

tartofmidlothian

Seems the Celtic fans posting on that are raging.

No idea why, not as if it's taken much of an investigation to work out that Rangers fans hate the Celtic manager.

TBH, it's a totally irresponsible headline -

Agreed. I look forward to the pitch invasions, riots, arrests and subsequent point reduction for both of these vile institutions thumbsup.gif

A statement on the Celtic website says: "There is no question, on the eve of a Rangers v Celtic match to use 'Lennon', 'Hate' and 'Ibrox' in a newspaper headline is extremely irresponsible. Neil Lennon, his coaching staff and the Celtic players are very disappointed at this reporting and have jointly decided that they will not be co-operating with journalists from The Daily Record. It is only right that the newspaper delivers a suitable retraction and apology. Neil Lennon as always will continue to receive the full support of everyone at the Club."

From BBC

laugh.gif

Basically you are not allowed to write anything that might upset them.. hopefully the Daily Record go to town on them.. i bet there are stories that they are sitting on... if the Record bottle out of this it will prove that Celtic control what can be written about them in papers..

Celtic were clearly upset that Rangers had banned the Herald and Eveining Times, so to ensure that media coverage is balanced between the OF, they took the first opportunity to ban another paper rag.

imagining saying that anyone hated neil lennon. the media need to stop wipping up hatred.

I'm sure officials at celtic park and ibrox would angered if anyone did anything to further the tribalism that exists in the west of scotland. Outside themselves that is.

Remnants of Standards

Great. Another reason for them to get all bed-wettingly offended about the slightest thing.

Anyone would think they were paranoid.

Weegie press = scum

Weegie teams = scum

Weegie team fans = scum

The solution? NAPALM THEM! :thumbsup:

Can find a fault in any of these comments to be honest.

jamboinglasgow

And if FC Sion won their appeal, and the headline in the daily Record read, "who is more hated, McCoist or FC Sion" would Celtic say that is disgraceful?

Hagar the Horrible

I just heard about this on the way home from the game, so i stopped and bought a DR but after going through it twice I thought it maust have been in another version as I saw nothing that could/would offend Easilyoffended FC then after seing just now on the BBC website I though my god are they so desperate to play the victim card before the OF match (the last one ever). So I bought a paper based on just on "Ya beauty Celtc are upset" for nout. Another reason to dislike that cancer of an insitution they owe me 65p

Offended by everything ashamed of nothing

The celtic minded chip on the shoulder brigade strike again. The worlds against them according

to them. They are the ones that are causing all the problems in Scottish football and if the authorities

had any balls they would expell them from our league.

TBH, it's a totally irresponsible headline -

Exactly what you'd expect from that bumpff!!!

Have to agree with you. You could argue they were being a bit biased in favour of the other lot.

Could you imagine if this was in our or even the other uglies matchday programme? The tabloids would go off on one slating it as being totally insensitive!

Basically you are not allowed to write anything that might upset them.. hopefully the Daily Record go to town on them.. i bet there are stories that they are sitting on... if the Record bottle out of this it will prove that Celtic control what can be written about them in papers..

I heard that Mark Guidi admit the other nigh on radio clyde that they sat on Rangers tax bill story for 3 years,he said they knew they owed between ?4o and ?70million.But they never printed it until the Bain papers came out,and Whyte spoke about it. :down:

Is it anymore offensive than having a cracked club badge on front of the paper and on the header of every report from there on?

The Daily Record will now lick up the backside of Celtic, expect an apology!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I haven't read the article but it seems like that headline is more a dig at Rangers' fear of being shut down by HMRC rather than anything else?

Celtic becoming offended after missing the point by miles? Shock!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

They really do get offended by the smallest non-issues, don't they?

**** sake.

:vrface:

Listen, I hate Celtic (and Rangers for that matter) as much as the next punter but the Daily Record can't defend that headline or Jackson's article. They're completely out of order.

Also, here are some quotes from Jim Traynor: "Someone obviously thought it would be a good way to illustrate the main stories of the build-up to Sunday's match. I would have pulled the headline. I think the headline is wrong. The paper will be dealing with this properly tomorrow before we address Monday's paper and we will also deal with Celtic's statement tomorrow."

This guy is the Record's sports editor. "Somebody obviously thought"..."I would have pulled the headline." What, you had nothing to do with the lay-out of the back page or the coverage of the biggest SPL game so far this season? There's responsibility for you.

I have a suggestion for the Record - why don't you consider the idea that Rangers' problems are a direct result of the way Rangers have been run over a period of many years. That's where this story starts and finishes.

Its not often you will hear Traynor start snivelling like he did on the radio Hes bottled it he is now fearful for his job as The Record cant afford the paranoid tramp army rising against them.

I will be amazed if there is no apology on monday..

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I will be amazed if there is no apology on monday..

There will absolutely be an apology on Monday. Even if the Record don't want to apologise, Traynor's given them no choice by effectively supporting Celtic's statement.

Listen, I hate Celtic (and Rangers for that matter) as much as the next punter but the Daily Record can't defend that headline or Jackson's article. They're completely out of order.

Also, here are some quotes from Jim Traynor: "Someone obviously thought it would be a good way to illustrate the main stories of the build-up to Sunday's match. I would have pulled the headline. I think the headline is wrong. The paper will be dealing with this properly tomorrow before we address Monday's paper and we will also deal with Celtic's statement tomorrow."

This guy is the Record's sports editor. "Somebody obviously thought"..."I would have pulled the headline." What, you had nothing to do with the lay-out of the back page or the coverage of the biggest SPL game so far this season? There's responsibility for you.

I have a suggestion for the Record - why don't you consider the idea that Rangers' problems are a direct result of the way Rangers have been run over a period of many years. That's where this story starts and finishes.

To be fair, I've not read the article myself.

But if a paper decided to ask whether Hibs fans hated Wallace Mercer or Rod Petrie more, I would struggle to give anything close to a ****.

Is it anymore offensive than having a cracked club badge on front of the paper and on the header of every report from there on?

The Daily Record will now lick up the backside of Celtic, expect an apology!

Yes,and that apology will be tomorrow in the Sunday Mail,and on Monday in the Daily Record.

I think if it annoys Celtic,ah love it.

Keep up the good work DR.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Sheer stupidity on both sides. The Old Firm live and breathe hatred of each other, it's what's made them strong. As most Rangers fans refuse to believe the reality of their clubs situation they won't hate the taxman much more than any of the rest of us do. On the other hand, every single Rangers fan hates Lennon, in the same way they hate everything, and everyone, to do with Celtic, though they probably hate Lennon more than most. So the Record has merely stated an undeniable fact, but, and it's a big but in my oppinion, this is entirely the wrong time for any newspaper to come out with a headline like that. It's almost like some braindead sub editor has come up with 'hey lads, I've got this great headline, can anyone make up a story to go with it?' And these guys try to make out that Romanov is stupid!

I'd expect a big front page spread of an appology in the Sunday mail tomorrow, so that they can claim any trouble 'got nowt to do wif us guv' when Ibrox kicks off, and I don't mean the start of the game :whistling:

Mac_fae_Gillie

Lennon is a figure of hate from many fans of other clubs,don't need a paper to tell us that.

Would have thought weegies love the taxman as he collects money for thier dole payouts and really can't see rangers going under at worst 3years of coming 2nd.(hopeing for worse but not expecting it).

Geoff Kilpatrick

Given some of the rubbish the ****** has written about Vlad and HMFC over the years, will Traynor also apologise for that?

Don't all laugh at once.....rolleyes.gif

Expect another mis-spelt banner from the Green Dyslexics soon then.......

DALY RECORD GFT. NO BLOO STAINED RAGS IN OOR CARAVANS!!

Personally anything that causes them even the slightest upset or turmoil sits very comfortably with me Well done DR :thumbsup:

Happy days

Celtic getting their knickers in a twist again. This time due to an article about Neil Lennon, they've withdrawan their cooperation with The Daily Record.

Was Neil Lennon not on a TV news clip a few years ago saying "I hate Hearts"

Celtic at their hypocritical best.

Yes, in the build up to the Gretna cup final he said he wanted Gretna to win. When asked why he said "because I hate Hearts." Of course that it folksy political hatred so its ok. I do think the "daily ******" headline is a bit provocative, but another double standard from Celtic on this one.

i agree with them for once. the press need to start actin more responsibly over the issues and using words like hate in headlines only fans flames. the red-tops have a huge role to play if we're to rid our game of the bullshit

With the bit in bold he doesn't. He's "Sports Editor in chief" (ie. drives the content of the articles but leaves page design and headings to those who can sub-edit) with Austin Barrett being the actual sport editor (ie. someone who can lay-out, design and sub a page from scratch). Traynor will no doubt claim the page was drawn up long after he'd gone home that evening and pass the buck onto Barrett.

Archived