Slow Version of 'Oh When the Hearts...'

Teddy

Prince Buaben

Quiote like the slow version but only really works if everyone is in tune

Can we all sit quietly and watch our team? I hate when the place gets a bit rowdy with people standing up and singing songs....

Personally didint think it was lifted from Spurs cos im sure its been done like this many times before but probably on mini buses or the like going to the game, if everyone gets on the same page could be onto a winner. Builds up slow to crashing crescendo, I like.

And also I think the drunker you are the slower the start.

Sorry to break the bad news but Ceptic have been doing it for 5-10 years.

That is clearly balls! As for the slower version of when the hearts go marching in, no thanks.

Nelly Terraces

Anyone with a half working memory and used to go to games in the 80's will remember this being a popular old way of knocking out that particular chant in the Shed. Used to be a very long "Ohhhhhh" at the start (here used to be the same job done on another much less PC tune as well, but I reckon you may have a problem getting away with that one these days :sweat: )

Yeah, so Spurs are using it now, but so what, it does a job. It'll probably wind up a load of knobends who support Chelski (those who haven't moved to supporting Man City, now they're looking like they can win things and have buckets of dosh) as well, so it's a total winner, or should I say, Wiiiiiiiiiiiner.

Cheers.

William H. Bonney

That is clearly balls! As for the slower version of when the hearts go marching in, no thanks.

5-10 months more like!

There's always something a bit strange about people claiming tunes are being copied from one club by another when they're almost always "borrowed" from outside football to begin with.

In this case it turns out that long before adoptiont by football fans it was traditionally played slowly on the way to funerals and then began to be played fast on the way back to the wake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Saints_Go_Marching_In

Tokyo Drifter

Nah, just sing it properly and add that call and response bit that some teams do. And loads of clapping. And maybe a smoke bomb or two.

shhhhhh some folk don't want told how old some chants are and think they are brand new

....and are probably boasting on Facebook that it was them and their pals that "invented" the chant! :unsure:

:D

William H. Bonney

....and are probably boasting on Facebook that it was them and their pals that "invented" the chant! :unsure:

:D

I invented the hearts song and european song!

Francis Albert

That was certainly how it was sung in the eighties.

... not to mention played by New Orleans funeral march bands a hundred years ago. There's not much new under the sun.

Talking of not much new, can anyone explain the poverty of the Hibs song book? You'd have thought a club famed for its flair and artistry, and warrior poets, could have added to "Hibees, Hibees" and "It's a grand old team to play for" by now.

Francis Albert

Should probably then be noted that the Spurs fans 'lifted' it from Van Der Voort too.

Its the way of the world.

If it works / sounds good / catches on - its fine with me!

... and most of the lyrics in turn lifted from "The Gorgie Boys are in Town" Na na na nanana na :)

Guest C00l K1d

quite like it as it sounds good at the end when it speeds up

Infact as long as there's a decent atmosphere i'm happy.

I'd rather sing a slow version than none at all

Gregory House M.D.

No, no it's not. Celtic done it against us in 2008 and had been doing it for a while to the words: "let's all do the huddle"

Gregory House M.D.

Did we sing "His name is Drew Busby" before DAFC sung "We are Dunfermline Athletic"?

This whole aversion to singing songs that are "lifted" from other teams is pish.

P.s Section G had been singing Nana nana nana nanananana Stephen Elliott, Elliott, Stephen Elliott long before Paulo came in and noone joined in. :sob:

In the Hamilton Hall pub it started off with the long "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and twirly scarfs and then the "OOOO...." gradually became "OOOOHHHH WHEN THE HEARTS"

I thought that was really good and worked well. Mixing up two of our own songs.

I like it, sounded great in the boozer at hamilton hall!! if you want to talk about cringeworthy, how about the rangers-esque rendition of ten german bombers in the air!!! embarrassing!!!

vintage jnr and myself were singing it in the car yesterday i think its fine if followed by the faster traditional Hearts version.

Listen up youngsters...This was sung by Hearts fans since the 70s and other teams like Spurs copied it. Nothing new about us doing it now. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Listen up youngsters...This was sung by Hearts fans since the 70s and other teams like Spurs copied it. Nothing new about us doing it now. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

i assume it sounded shite back then too?

No, no it's not. Celtic done it against us in 2008 and had been doing it for a while to the words: "let's all do the huddle"

They never used to turn their backs in the way that Poznan/City do, the green brigade started that this season (or possibly last but certainly not 2008 or 5-10 seasons ago as you said earlier) They just used to jump around doing the huddle.

I was with the Livy Hearts bus after the New year derby and there were several times the slow version of the marching in song were sung.

Gregory House M.D.

They never used to turn their backs in the way that Poznan/City do, the green brigade started that this season. They just used to jump around doing the huddle.

Think you'll find that's what they do to the words: "we love you, we love you, we love you, and that is why we follow, we follow, we follow, cause we support the celtic, the celtic, the celtic, and that's the way we like it, we like it, we like it, ooooooooooooooh"

They bounce around in rows at the oooooooh bit. It was a championship teams song, can't remember who. It was actually quite good til they feckers stole it.

They have always turned their backs while doing the huddle, I think they stole it from a Scandanavian outfit. They were doing it long before Poznan done it at The Etihad Stadium???

Guest Dipped Flake

Hearts fans are not great at doing 'slow' songs. The Hearts song and european song are great when sung at a normal pace, we race through them though.

I hate the way we sing the Hearts song nowadays. The clapping alonmg always ensures that the pace speeds up and the last few words of the 1st verse are just one long string of letters. Compare it to how we sung it before the Spurs home game, actually singing along to the Hector Nicol version. Never been sung louder IMO, well not for many years anyway

I love it, much better than the one we used to do. Sounds so good when its nice and slow

i assume it sounded shite back then too?

Probably did, because even back then there were studenty type @rsehole w@nk pieces amongst the Hearts support, who seemingly know how to 'get people told' on the internet...Rockets :thumbsup:

P.s Section G had been singing Nana nana nana nanananana Stephen Elliott, Elliott, Stephen Elliott long before Paulo came in and noone joined in. :sob:

David Templeton was always where that song was at. It rocked the Rule on NYD. ;)

Probably did, because even back then there were studenty type @rsehole w@nk pieces amongst the Hearts support, who seemingly know how to 'get people told' on the internet...Rockets :thumbsup:

you're rather good at getting people told. twice now on this thread already.

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, we sang it on at least a couple of occasions last season. If it was lifted from Spurs, it wasn't as a direct consequence of our having just played them.

I'm not that bothered by it, personally. Don't especially like it, but it isn't up to me to tell other people what they can and can't sing.

Archived