Slow Version of 'Oh When the Hearts...'

Teddy

Personally, I like the version of 'oh when the hearts...' when we sing it slowly for the first verse then start clapping and it gets faster for the second verse onwards.

It was sung in G like this at least a couple of times on Sunday.

If enough people sing it like this then it would sound pretty good, it did on Sunday IMO.

Thoughts? Should we make it a more regular occurrence? :)

Doesn't sound that good, imo.

Everyone seems to be singing at a different pace and sounds a bit mixed up.

Personally, I like the version of 'oh when the hearts...' when we sing it slowly for the first verse then start clapping and it gets faster for the second verse onwards.

If enough people sing it like this then it would sound pretty good, it did on Sunday IMO.

Christ, I couldn't have told you what key it was in.

Personally I'm not a fan of lifting things from teams we've just played. Bit like the Man City fans doing the Poznan (or, even worse, TGFITW copying them). Slightly small-time.

nah, i think it'll get forgotten about to be honest. it was ok as an acknowlegement to the spurs european games, but that's all over now

The People's Chimp

I like it, good memories of Thursday and we've come back up the road with a bit more than a 5-0 reverse.

NextGenerationJambo

If enough people sing it like this then it would sound pretty good, it did on Sunday IMO

Yup! Would be quality if enough sang! Would create a great atmosphere :)

i think it sounds awful and it's very cringey to lift things from teams you've just played.

I agree to am extent about it being cringey to 'lift' it from Spurs but fans take things from other teams' fans alot.

If it could be sung with everyone at the same speed/tone/pitch, whatever, it would sound good.

We have been singing the same songs for a while, with a few added in over the years. Recently we've had the Paulo Sergio one and 'let's all do the Wonga', bit disappointed the We are HMFC and 'let's all do the Hartley' haven't taken off yet.

Just need to freshen up our song sheet a bit more IMO :unsure:

I don't mind it, only when you've played the team though. If you see them do something that you think looks good or sounds good, I say go for it. If Spurs fans were watching the Derby on Sunday and heard us singing that version, I think they would like it.

For example, if you were watching a Tottenham game and seen them do the twirly, how good would it make you feel that fans of another team have seen us do something that they thought was so good that they have adopted it.

It's a sort of mutual respect between fans.

All for new stuff, but there's no point in messing with a classic. 'Oh when the Hearts' is one song that really gets most of the stadium going but on Sunday people were singing it at three different paces it seemed.

Daisy Doodle

Leave the slow version to Spurs and whoever else sings it. No need to copy them.

Agree with this!

thought it was good when Spurs first started doing it but it soon became annoying as feck. No for me :)

Besides, St Johnstone do a slow version.

Leave the slow version to Spurs and whoever else sings it. No need to copy them.

Hearts fans sang this in the eighties (I first heard it when in Dublin for the St Pats game) so it's not "new" to us.

I quite liked it then, and still do. :thumb:

I HATE the all slow version but like the version we sang in G on Sunday where the tempo gets quicker as the song is sung. It may well have been sung on Thursday but despite having a ticket I was ill and had to miss out! Gutted doesn't even begin to describe it! Although the reason I hate the slow version could well be that it reminds me of missing out on White Hart Lane!!!

thought it was good when Spurs first started doing it but it soon became annoying as feck. No for me :)

Besides, St Johnstone do a slow version.

St Johnstone doing a slow version is a tad different to Spurs doing a slow version, or even us :lol:

Fair enough with the comments; I expected this sort of reaction in all honesty.

Take it all the posters who don't like it are against the paulo Sergio song seeing as that has been lifted from the van der vaart song?

Take it all the posters who don't like it are against the paulo Sergio song seeing as that has been lifted from the van der vaart song?

KC & The Sunshine Band, actually :smuggy:

Coney Island Baby

i think it sounds awful and it's very cringey to lift things from teams you've just played.

It was sung briefly away to Killie last season

St Johnstone doing a slow version is a tad different to Spurs doing a slow version, or even us :lol:

Fair enough with the comments; I expected this sort of reaction in all honesty.

aye, it wasn't the loudest chant I've heard :D

Francis Albert

Our version is a bit different from Spurs whose slow bit goes on and on for ages. Ours seems to have one slow verse before reverting to the normal pace. Not bothered as long as it doesn't take long to get to the real thing.

Thig Ar Latha

Hearts fans sang this in the eighties (I first heard it when in Dublin for the St Pats game) so it's not "new" to us.

I'm sure I heard it done by Hearts Fans around 1984/85.

Heard the Spurs fans sing the slow version but they can keep that and we'll stick to our ususal rendition :thumbsup:

......Ours seems to have one slow verse before reverting to the normal pace. Not bothered as long as it doesn't take long to get to the real thing.

That was certainly how it was sung in the eighties.

Jambo, Goodbye

We sang it like that at Killie post split last season. Certainly not lifted from Spurs. Just a fresh approach to a Hearts song.

The reason why we started doing the slower version is the spurs fans tried it once & we totally "stole" it from them & some of their fans weren't happy we could do it better. So it was just a pee take that the only song spurs sing was hijacked and sung better. Personally don't care, will always remember WHL if we sing it normal or slowly.

Doesn't sound that good, imo.

Everyone seems to be singing at a different pace and sounds a bit mixed up.

This.

Gregory House M.D.

Personally I'm not a fan of lifting things from teams we've just played. Bit like the Man City fans doing the Poznan (or, even worse, TGFITW copying them). Slightly small-time.

Sorry to break the bad news but Ceptic have been doing it for 5-10 years.

Should probably then be noted that the Spurs fans 'lifted' it from Van Der Voort too.

Its the way of the world.

If it works / sounds good / catches on - its fine with me!

Guess The Crowd

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sounded great in London but wasn't great on Sunday! If enough hearts fans sing it I think it can create a great atmosphere. All this we are stealing it from spurs etc.. get over it! It's a song that sounds good when enough voices sing it.. I.e spurs away.

Hearts fans are not great at doing 'slow' songs. The Hearts song and european song are great when sung at a normal pace, we race through them though.

I like it. Sounded great on Thursday.

Then sounded just ok on Sunday as there we're too many sweetie rustlers.

Think it will be one for away days when we all want to sing.

Pants Shaton

Hearts should stick to our own, self-penned, original songs like the fast version of 'Oh when the Hearts...', which was written by Ronnie Corbett (lyrics) and Willie Bauld (tune), in the Tynie Arms, in 1961.

The slow spurs version, which builds in volume and tempo, sounds great at WHL - when their fans are up for it.

shhhhhh some folk don't want told how old some chants are and think they are brand new

I quite like it when it's sung properly. Not many songs build an atmosphere like this one and sounded great during the cl games at whl last year. I vote in favour of keeping this going

Archived