The Highest Point

djh83

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There have been four matches where I allowed myself to believe for a second we were potential champions.

3-0 at Tannadice in 1986.

Two goals in a minute at Parkhead in 1992.

Jim Hamilton putting us 2-1 up at Ibrox and Gough getting sent off in 1998.

Bednar's header against Rangers at Tynie in 2005.

All of those moments are high points for me.

Buffalo Bill

5. Wayne Foster

4. Roman Bednar

3. Gavin Skelton

2. 02.04.06

1. 16.05.98

Buffalo Bill

This might sound a bit left field but I am going to go for Hearts 3 - 1 Aberdeen, 25th February 1998

Why?

The timing was important. I was studying hard at Glasgow University, took a break to come through on the Glasgow Hearts bus, met my brother Top Cat and watched what I saw was a league winning side.

The team, more so. The midfield was simply immense. The ball was always on the deck. The talent was across the team, every shirt. The shape and awareness to the passing play was the best I had ever seen. Colin Cameron, especially. Colin Cameron could of played for any team in the UK that season, he was incredible. Long ball football was becoming a distant memory. (A fit Stevie) Fulton the prime reason for that.

I had seen Hearts rise to impressive peaks in the past, but none as complete as this.

More importantly, when Aberdeen got the equalizer, I had no doubt whatsoever we were going to get back on top and take the three points. A strange sensation for a club which used to have a excellent fanzine titled 'Always the Bridesmaid But Never The Bride'. No doubt whatsoever we would take the lead and give the fans three points to add to the campaign.

Sit back and enjoy it, and check that second goal ...Oooyabastid!

Deodato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVqdapinH3M

A great game, and some fantastic play from Hearts.

We utterly destroyed Aberdeen that season, the first half in the August game in particular.

Cameron is all time favourite Hearts player but for me, our biggest star that season was Stevie Fulton. Great days.

Apart from the cup win in 98 or the 4-0 big semi win i would say beating utd 3-0 at Tannadice and thinking the league title was in the bag,massive Hearts support and a blinding display by the famous but a few weeks later it all ended in tears.

As a youngster beating Airdrie at Tynecastle to win the 1st division thanks to a Frank Liddle header was also special.

That was a great game,remember cheering the players out one at a time.

That was also the first game we got to see Takis Fyssas.

being at the olymic stadium in munich for the second leg v's bayern munich

2nd beating rangers in the cup

3rd beating gretna in the cup

4th best ever atmosphere was at paris in 1984, nothing will ever beat that, after seeing your team outclassed and losing 4-0 to paris st germain the fans stayed behind signing non stop for 45 minutes the stadium lights went out, armed police trackside with machine guns, and wallace mercer had to come out and plead with the fans to leave the parc d'france

thursday night the fans wer very good at tynecastle

1985. The moment the final whistle sounded after over 7 minutes of extra time was added (due to Aitken almost breaking Robbo's neck during the match)...securing a 1-0 victory...the first over Celtic in Glasgow in 16 years...for those 15 minutes after the final whistle the place was...ermmm...'paradise'...for the small intrepid band of Hearts faithful (maybe 1,500) that made it through that day.

I've had a lot of high points since (Bordeaux, Bayern Munich, any time we hump the Leith vermin)...but none has quite attained that moment of sheer ecstasy...AND it only cost a quid to get in...! How's that for value for money? :D

After the match, a large amount of Celtic supporters made their way to the away end exit to show their displeasure...mainly in the form of a barrage of bricks and buckfast bottles...followed by a number pitched battles on the wasteland and in amongst the buses...suffice it to say that was an equally memorable experience... B)

In terms of it not being bettered, 02/04/06 is the one.

I missed out on '98, but that day will probably never be topped.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

The second goal in the 2006 new years day game against celtic...

Can't beat the Stephane Adam cup final goal, but Derek O'Connor's late winner at hibs was special .

frankie says !!!!

Gregory House M.D.

That was a great game,remember cheering the players out one at a time.

That was also the first game we got to see Takis Fyssas.

Christ, what age was he when he rejoined us in 2005 then? :whistling:

Buffalo Bill

It's interesting that people are highlighting some real high points, great games etc but let me ask you: if you were say, over 18 but under 50 when Hearts won the Scottish Cup in 1998, then realistically, how can anything else be a higher point than that?

It's been down hill since then has it? :unsure:

lets just say its been one hell of a rollercoaster ride, but i wouldnt change it for anything (except the last day at dundee in 86 )

Eveyone will have a different moment, but when exactly, for you, was the highest moment Heart Of Midlothian FC reached in the past? Mine was definately Hearts v AEK Athens Murrayfield just after the hour mark. Bednar takes a shot, it rebounds off the post and Miko sticks it in to go 1-0 up in the last qualifying round before the Champoins League proper. That was the moment I thought 'We're actually going to be in the Champions League groups'. This of was of course on the back of winning the Scottish Cup and splitting the OF. The modern day Champions League is the peak and imo out does any League Flags or Cups from yesteryear.

That moment was the peak for me. It went rapidly down hill there after of course. Losing the game, the tie, put straight out of UEFA Cup too and then continuing downward to the misery of the 07/08 season and the fax machine.

What was the highest moment for you?

Munich at Tynie was a cracker, although I was probably to young to appreciate it. Beating Aberdeen to have a shot for the CL was the best atmosphere at Tynie and the highest point, I thought it was going to be the start of special things for our club.

5 - 1 v Loco Leipzig in 1976

3-0 at Tannadice 1986 - I honestly thought that was the league sewn up

I agree, the man amongst the Yarpies has got it dead right. The money however departed our game very soon after.

Northernsoulboy01

80's Beating Bayern Munich.

90's Scottish cup win.

00's Beating Aberdeen to get a champions league spot.

I could have sworn bayern was 1990.

The Scottish cup semi and final in 06 was close and there have been other memorable ones like the 3-0's at Tannidice and Ibrox and many Euro nights, aswell as several great derby victories, but those are my top 3 per decade. The Scottish cup win in 2012 will probably be the one for this decade. :thumbsup:

A couple pre 98.Robbo first Derby game and Robbo equalizer in the league cup final.The cup final roar and celebrations when the wee man scored were as good as anything that has happened since.

In his first Derby game the scenes at the end were amazing.It was as if we all knew that the Jambos had returned after years in the doldrums.

Hearts won the cup and the Hibs went down(doodah doodah). '98 was a pleasing year

4-0 semi will always be a fond memory, A great day out (18hr drinkathon)

Had goosebumps reading this thread...

For me winning the cup in 2006, and thinking 'what will be next', the actual belief that we could not now only challange but actully win the league. That was a special summer.

The Hartley semi final, hibs support hasnt been the same and the smugness I now feel anytime a hibby trys to get in an argument with me, that game hurts them.

Archived