Paulo Sergio

Martin_T

rossthejambo

You are one of several posters to state we would not have lost 5-0 if JJ was in charge.

Nobody, so far, has explained why?

What would have beenso different had JJ been in charge?

I'm beginning to notice this a lot as well. I don't think there would have been all that much difference if JJ was still in charge, I get the impression those who are saying that are the ones who want to batter Vlad with any blame stick they can get their hands on.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct

OK we could have started much better and got closer to Spurs but they are head and shoulders above anything in Scottish Fitba and that's including the bigots.

Let's move on and concentrate on getting up the league and hopefully good runs in the Cups :thumbsup:

Before this game everyone on here were slightly optimistic that we could sneak a draw based on Spurs' injuries and travels etc... Nobody foresaw a 0-5 hammering and this massive gulf in class. Granted we all knew they had much better players than us, but it annoyed me that we didn't put up a fight in the first half. We didn't even have a go. Everyone bar Ian Black were shying out of challenges and hiding behind Tottenham players.

People can use the 'Spurs have more money and better players' excuse as much as they want, but the fact is that the team should have been fired up and in Spurs' faces from the off, and it is Sergio's fault that they didn't do that. I firmly believe that Jefferies would have had them out fighting.

But I still 100% support Paulo, and hope he learns from this.

I'm beginning to notice this a lot as well. I don't think there would have been all that much difference if JJ was still in charge, I get the impression those who are saying that are the ones who want to batter Vlad with any blame stick they can get their hands on.

Sorry, I forgot. Not allowed to criticise Vlad on this forum. He's brought such stability to our great club over the years. Silly me.

The_razors_edge

Does anyone on this thread honestly believe that PS told the players before that game to give spurs as much time on the ball as they liked and to stand off them at every opportunity? Or not to put any tackles in? Or to leave their strikers unmarked in our 18 yard box? Anyone who has been a coach or manager at any level will know that all the preparation in the world sometimes can't set you up to compete with superior opposition

Before this game everyone on here were slightly optimistic that we could sneak a draw based on Spurs' injuries and travels etc... Nobody foresaw a 0-5 hammering and this massive gulf in class. Granted we all knew they had much better players than us, but it annoyed me that we didn't put up a fight in the first half. We didn't even have a go. Everyone bar Ian Black were shying out of challenges and hiding behind Tottenham players.

People can use the 'Spurs have more money and better players' excuse as much as they want, but the fact is that the team should have been fired up and in Spurs' faces from the off, and it is Sergio's fault that they didn't do that. I firmly believe that Jefferies would have had them out fighting.

But I still 100% support Paulo, and hope he learns from this.

Correct. He showed real naivety in team selection and tactics but MUST be given time.

Sorry, I forgot. Not allowed to criticise Vlad on this forum. He's brought such stability to our great club over the years. Silly me.

What would have been different under JJ, please?

rossthejambo

Where did I say that? I was merely pointing out that people are looking at this defeat as a prime opportunity to have a pop because "JJ wouldn't have got us beat 5-0" when in all reality, he probably would.

Jesus ******* christ. Is this a 'prove how much of a spastic you are' thread?

Mr Sergio has been in the job 3 weeks, yet people are comparing him to Rix and Csaba? Where do you get that comparison from?

He doesnt understand 'Scottish and British' football? What the **** does that even mean? Are you talking about (and I hate the ******* phrase) 'blood and snotters' punt and rush? Because if you are, you can stick it up your arse. Id rather try and play like professional footballers than hit a long ball up to KK for a knock down to the wings all the bloody time.

Spurs were (unsurprisingly) far better than us. You can blame fitness all you want, but thats a moot point. Their actual intelligence to knock the ball around and make us chase shadows was clear for all to see. VDV and Kranjcar looked like they could have played all night, they are just far better footballers than we will ever have. The reactionary pish being spouted in the Terrace today is incredible.

Hello, Id like to ask you where you think Hearts would be today if Vlad hadnt taken us over.

Did you enjoy the Scottish cup win in 2006? Do you like still being at Tynecastle? Do people really look back on the CR era with fondness?

Whilst Vlad is far from immune to criticism, its not hard to see we'd be utterly shafted without him.

I don't think we'd have lost the game 5-0 with Jeffries in charge last night. We'd have been more compact and not afforded Spurs as much space. That however, would have been using negative tactics to hide a gulf in class. Sergio wants us to change our whole way of playing, and if a painful humping against a team far better than us is part of the process of improving our whole way of playing and results at domestic level, then it's something I can accept. look at Killie last year, they got off to a horrendous start as theur players tried to come to terms with a new style, but they adapted and improved dramatically. Whether e can bring about that change I don't know, but last night isn't the game to be judging that on.

Romanov has demanded this change in style, now he has to back the man by giving him time to implement it and the backing to bring in players who can play it.

I don't think we'd have lost the game 5-0 with Jeffries in charge last night. We'd have been more compact and not afforded Spurs as much space. That however, would have been using negative tactics to hide a gulf in class. Sergio wants us to change our whole way of playing, and if a painful humping against a team far better than us is part of the process of improving our whole way of playing and results at domestic level, then it's something I can accept. look at Killie last year, they got off to a horrendous start as theur players tried to come to terms with a new style, but they adapted and improved dramatically. Whether e can bring about that change I don't know, but last night isn't the game to be judging that on.

Romanov has demanded this change in style, now he has to back the man by giving him time to implement it and the backing to bring in players who can play it.

i love JJ, and i pretty much stated what you have said after the game, but even with JJ we got hammered from teams like rangers and celtic 4 and 5 so lets not make out its not happened in the past. As people have said the players let themselves down last night, yes there is a gulf in class but if you step off them then they will punish you! After hearing what Paulo had to say i do believe he can take us forward, but he needs his own players and time!

Its not going to happen over night and i think we may need to forget about finishing 3rd this year, but supposedly this is what everyone wanted? as we were not happy under JJ because of style of football?

boabyarsebiscuit

Seriously mate, get a grip. The man has been here for 2 weeks and you expect things to change in an instant. I find it quite remarkable, infact laughable, that people on here are already calling for his head.

As someone has already stated 'this thread is an embarrassment'

Give Sergio time.

So I'm not allowed to say I think Paulo Sergio is a rubbish manager? Is this like that time on here when no-one was allowed to criticise Csaba Laszlo?

PS - this is not a reaction to last night's drubbing, Paulo Sergio to me seems to be employing similar tactics to Graham Rix. Motherwell being the obvious example, but we were pretty pish against Aberdeen too, despite winning 3-0.

Charlie-Brown

So I'm not allowed to say I think Paulo Sergio is a rubbish manager? Is this like that time on here when no-one was allowed to criticise Csaba Laszlo?

PS - this is not a reaction to last night's drubbing, Paulo Sergio to me seems to be employing similar tactics to Graham Rix. Motherwell being the obvious example, but we were pretty pish against Aberdeen too, despite winning 3-0.

Wonderful insight after barely a fortnight in the job boaby with a failure hectic fixture schedule since he arrived, awful weather and limited opportunity to get to know and work with all his new players but crack on if it makes you feel good - perhaps in 3-6 months time we might be better placed to judge but not after 2.5 weeks surely?

Charlie-Brown

We've been mediocre-awful for most of the games since January 2011 onwards with 1 win in 14 and no obvious improvement costing the much loved and popular Jim Jefferies his job, but the new managers record of played 4 won 2 lost 2 already has him marked down in some peoples estimation. :down:

boabyarsebiscuit

Wonderful insight after barely a fortnight in the job boaby with a failure hectic fixture schedule since he arrived, awful weather and limited opportunity to get to know and work with all his new players but crack on if it makes you feel good - perhaps in 3-6 months time we might be better placed to judge but not after 2.5 weeks surely?

Remind me Charlie - this is Paulo Sergio's first go at managing a football team? Or was he shit at Sporting?

If he can adapt, I'll praise him, but slowly passing the ball around before weakly giving it to the opposition is not going to cut it week in week out. Didn't work for Rix.

Charlie-Brown

Remind me Charlie - this is Paulo Sergio's first go at managing a football team? Or was he shit at Sporting?

If he can adapt, I'll praise him, but slowly passing the ball around before weakly giving it to the opposition is not going to cut it week in week out. Didn't work for Rix.

Harsh and not really a fair or realistic comparison to managing in the SPL Boaby - PS won the majority of his games at Sporting and had a decent Europa cup run and results before Rangers mugged them with a last minute away goal however your English teams manager Villa-Boas romped the league with Porto who had a near perfect season whilst Sporting imploded - as well as Paulo Segio losing his job so did the Director of Football and Club President and other top staff.

Does anyone on this thread honestly believe that PS told the players before that game to give spurs as much time on the ball as they liked and to stand off them at every opportunity? Or not to put any tackles in? Or to leave their strikers unmarked in our 18 yard box? Anyone who has been a coach or manager at any level will know that all the preparation in the world sometimes can't set you up to compete with superior opposition

It's quite scary how some people's minds work, if you heard Paulo after the game one thing it's clear he told them not to do was give spurs space but the players appeared to get stage fright

I wait with baited breath.rolleyes.gif

It's quite scary how some people's minds work, if you heard Paulo after the game one thing it's clear he told them not to do was give spurs space but the players appeared to get stage fright

His tactics gave them the space.

He clearly instructs both full backs and both wingers to head for the touchlines when we get the ball.

As a result when the likes of Mrowiec, Zalikas, Sutton or Black lost the ball last night within 1 or 2 passes the Spurs midfield/strikers were right on to our cumbersome centre backs.

Even after the loss of the first 2 goals there was no effort to tighten up and make us more compact - indeed we went even more loose with Stevenson moved up front!

The intention might have been to prevent Bale and Lennon getting round us on the wings but it meant Spurs had it easy to get through the middle.

Mr Sergio has been in the job 3 weeks, yet people are comparing him to Rix and Csaba? Where do you get that comparison from?

He doesnt understand 'Scottish and British' football? What the **** does that even mean? Are you talking about (and I hate the ******* phrase) 'blood and snotters' punt and rush? Because if you are, you can stick it up your arse. Id rather try and play like professional footballers than hit a long ball up to KK for a knock down to the wings all the bloody time.

Spurs were (unsurprisingly) far better than us. You can blame fitness all you want, but thats a moot point. Their actual intelligence to knock the ball around and make us chase shadows was clear for all to see. VDV and Kranjcar looked like they could have played all night, they are just far better footballers than we will ever have. The reactionary pish being spouted in the Terrace today is incredible.

THIS

THIS

AND THRICE THIS

jamboinglasgow

JJ has far more experience of the gulf in class between Scotland and English top teams than Sergio has.

When the blue noses went on their European run a couple of years ago JJ would have noticed they achieved

this by packing the midfield and leaving one striker up front, getting right in the faces of the opposition and not giving them time on the ball.

Most of the teams Rangers played were worse than Spurs which leads me to the conclusion that PS was naive last night with his tactics.

Not advocating that the famous should play that type of boring football all the time BTW.

The rangers team that went on that Euro run cost them over ?20m to assemble. They had spent ?10m alone in that season on new players. You can park the bus if you have the players to cope with top class opposition.

Drewjambobusby

Difficult to disagree with any of this but if you have the likes of Gary Locke who presumably know a bit about stopping the opposition then surely the tactics should have been 5 at the back flooding midfield and hit on the break ???????

Admire his positive attitude but have to say a far more attacking line up than i expected to see ???

As you say 3 weeks in job but hopefully a huge lesson learned about tactics and our players capabilities at least.

Seymour M Hersh

JJ has far more experience of the gulf in class between Scotland and English top teams than Sergio has.

When the blue noses went on their European run a couple of years ago JJ would have noticed they achieved

this by packing the midfield and leaving one striker up front, getting right in the faces of the opposition and not giving them time on the ball.

Most of the teams Rangers played were worse than Spurs which leads me to the conclusion that PS was naive last night with his tactics.

Not advocating that the famous should play that type of boring football all the time BTW.

Shite! JJ had 2 tactics getting it wide and humping the ball. He's gone get over it.

Criticise Csaba all you want, but i thought he did quite a good job in his tenure. (well his first season)

Im just saying judge PS in 3 months time in the job, not after 2 weeks ffs. I just find it quite remarkable how fast you have picked up on his 'style of play' and that seemingly to you the players should be on the same level of understanding this style. You really need to think about what your saying, things just don't click automatically, he is still basically assessing the players at his disposal right now.

Tommy Wiseau

If Mr Sergio doesn't understand "Scottish fitba", then good.

Once he gets his ideas properly across to the players and is able to bring his own in, he might be able to prove he understands proper football instead.

The rangers team that went on that Euro run cost them over ?20m to assemble. They had spent ?10m alone in that season on new players. You can park the bus if you have the players to cope with top class opposition.

WS' boring non football tactics got Rangers to a Uefa Cup Final.

Then again they have won only one game since (out of 25)

It's a dilema

In my 25 years of going to Tynie, that was the best football any team has played against us, ever. Not even just at Tynie, but away as well. And I include horsings at Parkhead and Ibrox where it wasn't really great football, passing and movement - but sheer weight of numbers weighing you down.

Scottish football is goosed until 80% of the people involved in the game (players, coaches, owners, press and fans)either change their ways - or die off.

PS JiG - you ain't in that 80%

I am still shocked at some of the criticism of Sergio.

It was not Sergio's fault that the players chose not to put in a tackle last night until we were 3-0 down and that they all seemed to be star-struck by coming up against players they usually only see on the telly.

Time will tell whether Sergio is the man for the job - but once again, his comments after last night's game were spot on.

What is clear, is that Sergio is only just starting to appreciate what a limited buch of players he has inherited.

Archived