Paulo Sergio

Martin_T

Bert Le Clos

Ridiculous to judge him so soon if he'd only played SPL teams since he'd arrived. Never mind playing a side who, in theory, are one of the top 8 sides in Europe.

My only gripe was that we didn't get Rudi on sooner. The game was realistically already over. I'd have hooked Mrowiec at half-time. He has his uses in some matches, but he was a complete passenger chasing shadwos tonight. I'd have moved Black to the holding player, had Stevenson working box-to-box and played Rudi off Sutton.

He is our only midfielder capable of receiving the ball and finding players in space in the final 3rd. Stevenson was probably our best player tonight, but he's a runner.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan Gosling

Enjoy the game ?

Not particularly.

What do people expect? Mourinho wouldn't have gotten a result tonight. When you put Ayr United's star man, an Inverness Caley hard man and a ******* Polish bouncer up against ?100m worth of talent what on earth is going to happen? Xavi and Iniesta weren't available for tonight's game.

bigsuperslim1874

Just remember that Spurs, at times in last seasons Champions League, ripped the Pi$h out of Inter and many other world class teams.

They played a high tempo, European style game with great touch and skill. All the things we're not very good at!!!

Fergie, Busby and Clough would have struggled to take our squad and in just 3 weeks got a better outcome.

Can we honestly say we would have been happy with a 5-4-1 formation and a game plan where we tried to totally kill the game??

People really need to be realistic when judging tonights result/performance.

Hopefully the players will use this as a learning experience and realise how much they need to improve.

Very much THIS

He (Sergio) got it wrong for me tonight. We are obviously are work in progress , and he may only be able 'p155 with the c0ck' he is given. . But when he comes out with ' 0-0 will do (which it would have) I reckon u have to be clever enough to play to that. Playing two wide boys is admirable but not practical. Should have had sutton up front and 5 in midfield. Might not have been pretty, but might have strangled them a bit. On the plus side..thought hamill, grainger, driver were tickety boo...

Breakin' Rocks

Not particularly.

What do people expect? Mourinho wouldn't have gotten a result tonight. When you put Ayr United's star man, an Inverness Caley hard man and a ******* Polish bouncer up against ?100m worth of talent what on earth is going to happen? Xavi and Iniesta weren't available for tonight's game.

Fantastic perhaps the next time you and the SA will show a bit deference when it comes to getting a ticket.

As someone said in a thread a few days ago, you pish wi the ****** you've got, and that's clearly where we wrOng tactically tonight. Probably a Vlad type issue, am not feeling too hard on PS, but ultimately on a av wage of c 2.5-4k a week v av of ?30-80k a week, you make do and mend and not match fire with fire. Wholeheartedly agree with Csaba 4-5-1 comments, and the fact Our only booking was a daft kick ball against player down incident says it all. Feel sad for Jonsonn as Webster going straight in added feck all and only added to the Zal and Webster struggle together school of thought.

As the legendary fanzine says ... always the Bridesmaid.

Gorgiestrs - overlapping post with scary alignment re analogy. Would have thought posh and ****** would have been in so many people's minds tonight ?

Ps pish and ******, although wouldnae mind a go at posh, wi the ******. Umpteen bairns wi daft names or no.

I was disappointed tonight - 0-5 is a terrible result at home. We stood off them far too much early on. But it looks as if we're going to be playing a more technical game under Sergio, and on the plus side I thought some of our players looked as if they had been working on their ball control. There wasn't too much aimless lumping of the ball forward either, even when we were being pressed hard.

He needs midfielders, though, and urgently, otherwise he's just going to be another statistic very soon. We still don't have what I'd call a balanced team. And, in the context of European football, it's frustrating to note that we're currently vastly inferior to the team that Levein took to the group stage of the UEFA Cup just before we entered the era of perpetual change.

Tommy Wiseau

Fantastic perhaps the next time you and the SA will show a bit deference when it comes to getting a ticket.

What does SA stand for please?

I was disappointed tonight - 0-5 is a terrible result at home. We stood off them far too much early on. But it looks as if we're going to be playing a more technical game under Sergio, and on the plus side I thought some of our players looked as if they had been working on their ball control. There wasn't too much aimless lumping of the ball forward either, even when we were being pressed hard.

He needs midfielders, though, and urgently, otherwise he's just going to be another statistic very soon. We still don't have what I'd call a balanced team. And, in the context of European football, it's frustrating to note that we're currently vastly inferior to the team that Levein took to the group stage of the UEFA Cup just before we entered the era of perpetual change.

Who did we beat to get to the group stages again? Under levein I mean.

Thunderstruck

He is still trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and the squad has too many that are not fully fit or match-fit.

Now that Europe is done and dusted, he can turn his attention to getting a settled team that will prosper in SPL. I got the impression from his interviews that this season will be about rebuilding and bringing on the youngsters. There are encouraging signs already - he is willing to try guys like McGowan and Robinson - and, as said above, he is clearly intent on a more controlled approach to the game instead of the route-1 to front man. He will know that for this to work, we will need a midfielder who can actually make things happen instead of stopping things happening.

Patience is what is required - a commodity in short supply on here.

Tommy Wiseau

Work it out Mr. Two degrees.

Sadly neither of my degrees was in Guessing Accurately Random Acronyms Which Have Never Been Used Before. I believe Telford offer the course, but I would never lower myself to such an establishment.

However, I have a fair idea and I would like you to confirm my suspicions of what it is, I'm sure the rest of the board would be interested in the clarification also.

Feckin hell that feels like 20 years ago. A lots happened in the last few years.

That tie at Murrayfield was a cracking evening. Hartley's goal...

If only Kisnorbo hadn't got himself sent off when we were still at 0-0 with Schalke, I wonder if we could have got out of that group.

Drylaw Hearts

You cannot judge the Manager or the players when they're faced against a team filled with players of that quality.

Nelly Terraces

Not particularly.

Bang on post.

Hearts = Black. Spurs = Van Der Vart.

"It's all Sergio's fault, boo hoo." **** off you idiots.

Billy the Jambo

The total clown that owns us sacked Jefferies saying that he wanted a manager that had experience in europe .Well on last nights performance sergio should be sacked right away .Jefferies team would have never been messed 5-0

Was pretty embarrassed watching that. Two things; firstly, we were completely out muscled, no more so than when Zal was bundled off the ball by Defoe ffs. Secondly, if I have to watch Zal lift his arms up before passing back to Kello again I'll have an aneurism. Driver and Stevo get pass marks. Webster is an abortion of a character and should get punted asap.

The total clown that owns us sacked Jefferies saying that he wanted a manager that had experience in europe .Well on last nights performance sergio should be sacked right away .Jefferies team would have never been messed 5-0

Why wouldn't jjs team have got beat 5-0?

Thunderstruck

Why wouldn't jjs team have got beat 5-0?

Was that not JJ's team? I don't see how he could have made better of our resources, taking into account injury and fitness issues.

That Spurs team would turn over any SPL team and more than half of the EPL teams. We cannot compete with that depth of talent over 90 never mind 180 minutes.

It was a big defeat but an "embarrassment"? An embarrassment is getting humped by Artmedia or Kaunas or getting a 6-0 pasting off Falkirk or "SuperCaley going Ballistic" at Darkheid.

A lesson in football from a major team on a European stage is just that - a lesson. Let's hope some of the learning pays dividends.

The best way to get over it is to win on Sunday.

Was that not JJ's team? I don't see how he could have made better of our resources, taking into account injury and fitness issues.

That Spurs team would turn over any SPL team and more than half of the EPL teams. We cannot compete with that depth of talent over 90 never mind 180 minutes.

It was a big defeat but an "embarrassment"? An embarrassment is getting humped by Artmedia or Kaunas or getting a 6-0 pasting off Falkirk or "SuperCaley going Ballistic" at Darkheid.

A lesson in football from a major team on a European stage is just that - a lesson. Let's hope some of the learning pays dividends.

The best way to get over it is to win on Sunday.

That was what I was getting at. JJ would have done no better IMO.

Thunderstruck

That was what I was getting at. JJ would have done no better IMO.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest otherwise..

One things for sure...playing spl teams will now feel like a piece of piss compared to playing spurs.

We will probably go on now and win the league.

Its the Hearts way...................!!!

Gregory House M.D.

Shan patter to slate the manager after a pumping by what could easily be the tournament winners!

What would JJ,Csaba,Burley or Levein have done to win us that game?

Bring on the Killie.

Leveins line-up:

Kello

Hammil Mcgowan Zaliukas Webster Jonsson Grainger

Black Mroweic Prychynenko Robinson

Result: 0-2

ToadKiller Dog

We were out classed no way were we embarrassed, they are just on a higher level. If we play against any spl side like we did for 10 mins after the break we will score against most.

Sheriff Fatman

Doesn't understand Scottish or British football. He made a shocker tonight

What was he supposed to understand, every single one of their players were on a different level to ours.

It wasn't because he tried to play a 'European game', it wasn't because he didn't understand the 'British' game, it was because our players were outclassed by a massive amount.

This idea that the 'European way of playing' is inferior to the 'British way of playing' is a ridiculous joke.

Redknap says we're not comparing apples to apples - the English FA distribute their massive revenue FAIRLY to ensure competition - the meagre Scottish FA income by comparison is sucked up by the two largest embarrassments to professional football in Scotland, their supporters, their respective religions and the country of Scotland.

We may think we're big fish in a small pond, but to be fair, we were totally outclassed :ermm:

Sydney from Sydney

I thought we played a Scottish game tonight tbh. Spurs never gave us a chance to try to play a passing game.

My only gripe would be starting with Black and Mroweic in midfield together, it rarely works imo.

Tactics were dreadful. I lost count of pass backs to Kello from the half way line. With nothing to lose we should have been punting it forward surely. Easy to say I know but we would have had a lot more fight under JJ. Penny for your thoughts Vlad. A conspiracy by Italian refs perhaps, or secretive agenda by English club owned by London Jews ?

Drewjambobusby

It pains me to say it, but tonight was not the time to play with two wingers who can't tackle.

I'll get slated for it, but playing a Csaba-style 4-5-1 would have been sensible to try and contain them and hit on the break.

Touche. I would have played 5 at the back and had a spare man like Webster possibly to do almost an old sweeper role. Thought his tactics although admirable were lacking. Hopefully he has learned from tonight because many more results like that and Vlad will be getting the Yellow Pages out !!!!!

boabyarsebiscuit

Paulo Sergio is Graham Rix mark 2 (minus the baggage). Applies a footballing style not suited to the SPL. And can't get the best out of the players Vlad picks for him.

Clerry Jambo

This thread is an embarrassment.

Correct

OK we could have started much better and got closer to Spurs but they are head and shoulders above anything in Scottish Fitba and that's including the bigots.

Let's move on and concentrate on getting up the league and hopefully good runs in the Cups :thumbsup:

Tactics were dreadful. I lost count of pass backs to Kello from the half way line. With nothing to lose we should have been punting it forward surely. Easy to say I know but we would have had a lot more fight under JJ. Penny for your thoughts Vlad. A conspiracy by Italian refs perhaps, or secretive agenda by English club owned by London Jews ?

We could have had jose mourinho in charge and not won that game or came anywhere close.

Our central defenders decided to stand and watch van der vart and defoe wander about our penalty box unchallenged. If we defend like that formation and tactics are totally irrelevant.

Probably would have had us fighting for everything!

(didn't see much evidence of that tonight)

I have seen some of the most toothless performances ever from Hearts under JJ. Defeats against Motherwell, Kilmarnock and almost every performance in Glasgow being noteable examples.

That isn`t a go at JJ but to suggest we would have done any better is just clutching at straws.

Lets not re-write the history books and suddenly make it PS fault eh?

The Mighty Thor

Difficult one.

We were horribly outgunned last night in just about every department so there is no caomparison to make. The only comment would be the one i made on another thread about how unfit our players are. To me it rasises huge questions about what is going on at Riccarton in terms of training and conditioning work.

The Paulo Sergio flair football project........lets see how it develops but right off i'd suggest that zonal marking is a non-runner particularly with a centre half who has the concentration span of a gnat. He got it wrong last night. He got it horribly wrong last night. Lets see what he does at Rugby Park this weekend and then the pressure is right back on WHL on Thursday and then the vermin come to visit.

rossthejambo

You cannot judge the Manager or the players when they're faced against a team filled with players of that quality.

Spot on DH.

I'm glad I wasn't on here last night, the amount of people just about flinging themself off the North Bridge after being outclassed by an outrageously superior team is staggering.

Paulo Sergio is Graham Rix mark 2 (minus the baggage). Applies a footballing style not suited to the SPL. And can't get the best out of the players Vlad picks for him.

Seriously mate, get a grip. The man has been here for 2 weeks and you expect things to change in an instant. I find it quite remarkable, infact laughable, that people on here are already calling for his head.

As someone has already stated 'this thread is an embarrassment'

Give Sergio time.

PS showed last night how naive he is as a coach. OK he's only been here five minutes and doesn't really know what our players are capable of,

but to play with two wingers and only one proper midfielder against a team of that quality was suicidal. I would bet that we wouldn't have lost that game 5-0

if JJ was still in charge. PS needs to get up to speed quickly or he'll end up out on the street but at least last night he found out just what a weak

bunch of unfit, unskilled amateurs he has to work with.

PS showed last night how naive he is as a coach. OK he's only been here five minutes and doesn't really know what our players are capable of,

but to play with two wingers and only one proper midfielder against a team of that quality was suicidal. I would bet that we wouldn't have lost that game 5-0

if JJ was still in charge. PS needs to get up to speed quickly or he'll end up out on the street but at least last night he found out just what a weak

bunch of unfit, unskilled amateurs he has to work with.

You are one of several posters to state we would not have lost 5-0 if JJ was in charge.

Nobody, so far, has explained why?

What would have beenso different had JJ been in charge?

The_razors_edge

You are one of several posters to state we would not have lost 5-0 if JJ was in charge.

Honestly, it's beginning to grate on my t*ts aswell. JJ this, JJ that. That master tactician JJ i'm sure would have had us romping to a 0-0 draw last night. JJ's squad got hosed 5-0, that's correct JJ's squad. What would JJ have done to stop us getting beat 5-0? would he have played Jonsson instead of Webster or Mrowiec, Skacel instead of Stevo or Driver, Elliot instead of Sutton. Would he have played a completely different system, even though he persisted with the 4-2-3-1 religiously throughout his tenure?

JJ has far more experience of the gulf in class between Scotland and English top teams than Sergio has.

When the blue noses went on their European run a couple of years ago JJ would have noticed they achieved

this by packing the midfield and leaving one striker up front, getting right in the faces of the opposition and not giving them time on the ball.

Most of the teams Rangers played were worse than Spurs which leads me to the conclusion that PS was naive last night with his tactics.

Not advocating that the famous should play that type of boring football all the time BTW.

We would have lost by 6 or 7 not 5, that's the difference.

:ermm:

Harry also said in the TV interview that "that's the best they've (the players) played for me" when talking about the first half.

I doubt many teams would've been able to cope.

Honestly, it's beginning to grate on my t*ts aswell. JJ this, JJ that. That master tactician JJ i'm sure would have had us romping to a 0-0 draw last night. JJ's squad got hosed 5-0, that's correct JJ's squad. What would JJ have done to stop us getting beat 5-0? would he have played Jonsson instead of Webster or Mrowiec, Skacel instead of Stevo or Driver, Elliot instead of Sutton. Would he have played a completely different system, even though he persisted with the 4-2-3-1 religiously throughout his tenure?

As I said previously (maybe in another thread) when your two central defenders watch some of the best attacking players in the EPL stroll around your 18 yard box all tactical ploys soon become irrelevant. Zal and Webster froze.

Archived