Too much fawning over Spurs on here...

Mr Sifter

"It'll be a pleasure to see a team of this stature at Tynie"....

"Just to play these guys in a competitive match is enough for us"....

"Gareth Bale is frightening. Looking forward to seeing him on the Tynecastle turf"....

These are the sort of things I've been reading the last few days on here. It seems there may be some serious golf clapping comin from oh support every time a Spurs player plays a decent ball.

Hope not.

Yes, Spurs are a great side. Yes, it's exciting to see these guys at Tynie. But at the end of the day they are trying to beat OUR club, so let's remember who we are there to support!!!

So Spurs fans.....no disrespect to you guys....but **** you :-)

HMFC

FTH

chester copperpot

Never seen any of these quotes TBH.

I don't want to have a Spurs love in, but have a healthy respect for them.

Spurs are a slightly above average English side, Bale played well for 10 games last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM&ob=av2e

Slightly above average side that have come

5th, 5th, 8th, 4th & 5th in the last five seasons.

Should be a walk in the park for Hearts this one.

To paraphrase - it takes a nation of sky subscribers to hold us back..........

mahgrassyshoes

Tbf, I'm pretty sure I saw the second one. I remember that (or something very close) being said and thinking it was a bit strange. There have been quite a few in the vein of the first and third quotes as well.

Have a word, I've no respect for any club who'd playing Hearts, they need to be intimidated right from the start, off and on the pitch, I'm going into this tie wanting to win it, seems many on here are happy us to be involved, no respect, Gorgie Rules.

Yes slightly above average. Far too much media hype after last seasons champions league performances, typical British media.

I think you made those quotes up. People respect the fact that they have spent tens of millions on players and play week in week out in one of the best leagues in the world. I think all we expect is that we are competitive to some degree. Nobody is going to be happy if we completely capitulate.

Average side who's won nothing then, the Hibs of England, all flair and no trophies.

You can show teams too much respect and almost become fearful of them before it even kicks off. I reckon we should get tore in about them from the first whistle even if it means ditching some of our new managers style of play. <_<

Hassle them, chase down every ball, play at a high fast tempo that might unsettle them and a few tasty tackles early doors with Tynie rocking you just never know. ;)

As posted it is just respect.We always seem to respect our European opponents fans a lot more here than than any other from Scotland.The Spurs fans have been a welcome addition to this board,just like the Basle fans years ago.

Average side who's won nothing then, the Hibs of England, all flair and no trophies.

You will have to remind me about your bulging trophy cabinet mate - im not really clued up on the SPL.

Agreed we have under achieved on the trophy front in the Sky years (when football was invented properly) but we did ok when we played with pigs bladders & leather studs.

Won nothing but still got more fans than Chelsea - probably tells you everything you need to know about the two sets of supporters.

givememychoice

or the team thats 18th best in the whole of europe.

I want us to win, but I can also appreciate that they are a very good team.

They're no exact quotes, mere paraphrasing of what I've read on the 30+ Spurs threads on here.

I just get the impression from some on here that we don't have a chance, therefor we should just be delighted to see Spurs at Tynecastle.

I hope we are screaming at the Spurs players, not clapping them along as they try to do us!

Gregory House M.D.

The Sky 4. Horrific patter. Mind telling us who this four consists of?

or the team thats 18th best in the whole of europe.

I want us to win, but I can also appreciate that they are a very good team.

I don't care if they are a good team or not - I want Hearts to kick seven shades of s**t out of them and send them packing with their tails between their legs!!!

Gorgie Rules

Gregory House M.D.

I don't care if they are a good team or not - I want Hearts to kick seven shades of s**t out of them and send them packing with their tails between their legs!!!

Gorgie Rules

This.

chester copperpot

Gorgie Rules

So do I, but I still have a healthy respect for them.

I can see I'm pissing in the wind with this one though.

What's the panic..... If that Gomes clown is in the sticks it'll be like playing the Hibs, they can have all the chances they want, 3 shots on their goal and we'll be 3 up......and they slag Scottish keepers !!

That said my prediction is it'll be like the play off game Scotland v England - they'll come up here horse us because we'll give them too much respect, then we'll go there have the game of our lives but still go out on goal difference.

We are Hearts that's what we do.......

Jambof3tornado

The spurs players will get the same level of abuse as any other away team gets at Tynie. But I can do that and respect their team and stature can I not?

chester copperpot

The spurs players will get the same level of abuse as any other away team gets at Tynie. But I can do that and respect their team and stature can I not?

Apparently not.

Let me just say this, for 90 minutes, I will be giving it as big licks as I do against HIVs or the uglies, however I think Spurs are a cracking team.

Agreed

We abused Real Madrid players but still respected the fact they are one of the best teams in the world.

did you confront these paraphrased quoters on kickback at the time, or did you just rush back to kickback to complain about it?

did you confront these paraphrased quoters on kickback at the time, or did you just rush back to kickback to complain about it?

Neither.

I think there has been an over reaction to Spurs on here, It's 11 Men against 11 Men, treat both legs as a final and you never know!!!!

Yes, if they were in the same league as us they would come higher than us, but this is 2 individual matches , which the players hopefully will see as a platform to show what they can do on a big stage.

I don't want the players acting like the majority on here and thinking they are beaten before they are on the pitch , **** it steam into these overpaid prima donnas.

TYNECASTLE IS OUR HOME, OUR MECCA, IF THESE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYERS WANT TO TAKE SOMETHING FROM US OR BEAT US , WE SHALL STAND TOGETHER ,OUR DEFENCE WILL STAND STRONG LIKE THE OLD CASTLE ROCK, OUR MIDFIELDERS WILL BATTLE FOR EVERY BALL, OUR FORWARDS WILL ATTACK LIKE LIONS , AND WE AS FANS WE WILL AND MUST SUPPORT THE FAMOUS HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN IN FULL VOICE TILL OUR LAST BREATH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

MON THE HEARTS

F.T.H

BN thumbsup.gif

You will have to remind me about your bulging trophy cabinet mate - im not really clued up on the SPL.

Agreed we have under achieved on the trophy front in the Sky years (when football was invented properly) but we did ok when we played with pigs bladders & leather studs.

Won nothing but still got more fans than Chelsea - probably tells you everything you need to know about the two sets of supporters.

It's cup tie football. First I want to win it. If that's not possible I want the opposition to know they've been in a game. It's all I ask. I will not be fawning over Spurs on Thursday and don't think anyone should.

However I make no apologies for the fact I'm looking forward to seeing Spurs and I think the majority are the same. Spurs are my English team but I want you root, toot and oot so bring it on...if we happen to be unsuccessful so be it. We'll have been in a game against a top side from a very top league, our bitter rivals can only dream of such a thing.

Would ANYONE on here rather it was Happoel Tel Aviv on Thursday night???

What does it matter if people respect Spurs or not? It's not going to affect the way the team plays against them. I doubt they read the forum and think, ''The fans want us to respect them, let's do as they wish, Gareth Bale is great etc''. Having a healthy dose of reality that Spurs are a really good team is one thing but shouldn't detract from wanting to beat them. Surely no one will be happy with a beating as long as someone like Van Der Vaart plays?

You can show teams too much respect and almost become fearful of them before it even kicks off. I reckon we should get tore in about them from the first whistle even if it means ditching some of our new managers style of play. <_<

Hassle them, chase down every ball, play at a high fast tempo that might unsettle them and a few tasty tackles early doors with Tynie rocking you just never know. ;)

This for me as well.

We can go back to the flair on Sunday.

It is the only way we will have a chance in this game.

Fans will be pumped up for this one and will demand action.

maltese jambo

"It'll be a pleasure to see a team of this stature at Tynie"....

"Just to play these guys in a competitive match is enough for us"....

"Gareth Bale is frightening. Looking forward to seeing him on the Tynecastle turf"....

These are the sort of things I've been reading the last few days on here. It seems there may be some serious golf clapping comin from oh support every time a Spurs player plays a decent ball.

Hope not.

Yes, Spurs are a great side. Yes, it's exciting to see these guys at Tynie. But at the end of the day they are trying to beat OUR club, so let's remember who we are there to support!!!

So Spurs fans.....no disrespect to you guys....but **** you :-)

HMFC

FTH

Agree with you mate. Has become nauseating. The reason I?m looking forward to the game is because i want to see the mighty JT's pick our wits against a big team and hopefully make a good impression. Couldn't give a toss about seeing the likes of Bale and all the other lot.

League Championships - Hearts 4 Spurs 2

FA Cups - Hearts 7 Spurs 8

League Cups - Hearts 4 Spurs 4

Oh look, on a domestic front Hearts are more successful! :)

:D

kingantti1874

im looking forward to this - beats the pants off the usual spl shite ... however, this is a competitive match and im also not too fond of the love in - sooking up type posts

.. that doesnt mean we should have some good banter with spurs fans and im sure they will understand that we want to beat them - regardless of how unlikely that may be..

the sad thing is the playing field is utterly warped - for what spurs are likely to get for modric we could finish tynecastle, pay off a significant posrtion of our debt and have enough money left over to buy the spl for a couple of seasons... its all wrong.... SKY TV and european equivalens / UEFA / FIFA have royally messed the SPL and indeed all of europes smaller divisions - its completely perverse and is going to ruin football permnently.... we could play a fair number of EPL teams on the moon and have a bigger support (not including spurs in that statement by the way)

im looking forward to this - beats the pants off the usual spl shite ... however, this is a competitive match and im also not too fond of the love in - sooking up type posts

.. that doesnt mean we should have some good banter with spurs fans and im sure they will understand that we want to beat them - regardless of how unlikely that may be..

the sad thing is the playing field is utterly warped - for what spurs are likely to get for modric we could finish tynecastle, pay off a significant posrtion of our debt and have enough money left over to buy the spl for a couple of seasons... its all wrong.... SKY TV and european equivalens / UEFA / FIFA have royally messed the SPL and indeed all of europes smaller divisions - its completely perverse and is going to ruin football permnently.... we could play a fair number of EPL teams on the moon and have a bigger support (not including spurs in that statement by the way)

Agree 100%

My Gooner colleagues tell me there were empty seats at the Death Star last night & Man U still have 4k unsold seats for the game vs Spurs on Mon.

The financial 'chickens' are coming home to roost......

Buffalo Bill

It's a great feeling to have a top English side play us in what is such an important match. Of course, I respect Spurs and suspect it could all be over for us by half time but at the same time, I'm dreaming of the impossible right now and when I get into that stadium tomorrow I want us to unleash the dogs of war onto Tottenham.

Would ANYONE on here rather it was Happoel Tel Aviv on Thursday night???

yes i would, PROPER 'YIDS' and a better trip next week.

Sierra Delta

I might have a bit of respect for them after the tie depending on a few things but at the moment they can go fling shite at themselves.

Average Premiership club, 11 v 11 and Tynecastle will be absolutely bouncing tomorrow night. "Believe".

League Championships - Hearts 4 Spurs 2

FA Cups - Hearts 7 Spurs 8

League Cups - Hearts 4 Spurs 4

Oh look, on a domestic front Hearts are more successful! :)

:D

And what would these figures have been if we hadn't let Dave McKay go south?

Also, for the benefit of Mr Conn (whose posts I've been enjoying) because the rest of us know this: we're probably the only side to have lost the league on goal average when we would have won it on goal difference (1965) then lost it on goal difference when we would have won it on goal average (1986).

Also, for the benefit of Mr Conn (whose posts I've been enjoying) because the rest of us know this: we're probably the only side to have lost the league on goal average when we would have won it on goal difference (1965) then lost it on goal difference when we would have won it on goal average (1986).

Wow! Now that is gutting. An amazing statistic actually. I would have been devastated.

Surprised you didn't change your name to Broken Hearted of Midlothian.

kingantti1874

selling dave mackay - when the guy had no intention, or desire to leave was the biggest mistake in the history of the club - we could have gone on to dominate scottish football for a decade or more which would have completely changed the face of the game up here

kingantti1874

Agree 100%

My Gooner colleagues tell me there were empty seats at the Death Star last night & Man U still have 4k unsold seats for the game vs Spurs on Mon.

The financial 'chickens' are coming home to roost......

it really is sad - and with this financial fair play thing will only serve to protect the status quo even further, spurs who are undoubtedly a big club cannot hope to hold onto players if one of the big guns comes calling, and now - with the man city senario unlikley to happen again with the financial fair play - how will any club ever be able to compete with those clubs who are in the champions league who will simply take all of the good players? this can only end in a european superleague IMO, all scratching each others back...

its absolute bullshit in all honesty - they could not have messed it up more..

And to quote Public Enemy....

London England... Consider yourself.... Warned!

I'm happy with barely anyone giving us a chance in the tie. :-)

Have you not seen the Spurs injury thread?

Nailed on win for Hearts now.

:)

Gregory House M.D.

Have you not seen the Spurs injury thread?

Nailed on win for Hearts now.

:)

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Wow! Now that is gutting. An amazing statistic actually. I would have been devastated.

Surprised you didn't change your name to Broken Hearted of Midlothian.

To make matters worse, it was Hearts who initiated the change to goal difference based on their 1965 experience (and also because it is fairer). We had goal difference in our league before you.

The Broken Hearted thing is a gift to sub-editors but is rather over-used on the few occasions that we lose. More usually "Hearts Broken". Obviously you'll not be reading "Hearts Broken by Spurs" anywhere this week.

If you really don't know your Scottish football history, should we assume that you know all about Alfie Conn senior (I'm guessing your choice of user name refers to his son, who played for both our teams, but the father was the real hero)?

Archived