Too much fawning over Spurs on here...

Mr Sifter

Yes, the Legend that scored a hat-trick on his debut vs NUFC & sat on the ball vs LUFC in the last game of the season (1975? or 1976?) when we need a result to stay up.

One of my earliest memories of going to WHL is seeing 'Alfie Conn is God' spray painted on the gates of the Park Lane.

Of course, the other Scotsman (is Jock offensive?) we let slip through our fingers is Graeme Souness who was with us in the early seventies.

Im off to Google A.Conn snr

Ok... didn't take long! Good breeding then!

kingantti1874

Yes, the Legend that scored a hat-trick on his debut vs NUFC & sat on the ball vs LUFC in the last game of the season (1975? or 1976?) when we need a result to stay up.

One of my earliest memories of going to WHL is seeing 'Alfie Conn is God' spray painted on the gates of the Park Lane.

Of course, the other Scotsman (is Jock offensive?) we let slip through our fingers is Graeme Souness who was with us in the early seventies.

not offensive in the slightest, any idea where that term comes from ? graeme souness was also a boyhood jambo

Slightly above average side that have come

5th, 5th, 8th, 4th & 5th in the last five seasons.

Should be a walk in the park for Hearts this one.

To paraphrase - it takes a nation of sky subscribers to hold us back..........

What is it with this Sky 4 and the attitude towards Sky?

The way I see it, TV money is distributed pretty fairly in England which is far from the case up here. Every English club has Sky to thank for their bloated incomes not just the "Sky 4". ?30m for getting relegated, brilliant.

Without Sky Spurs would be worse off. IMO.

not offensive in the slightest, any idea where that term comes from ? graeme souness was also a boyhood jambo

A bit vague on google! Supposedly from the number of people called Jock (Scottish version of John) north of the border.

What is it with this Sky 4 and the attitude towards Sky?

The way I see it, TV money is distributed pretty fairly in England which is far from the case up here. Every English club has Sky to thank for their bloated incomes not just the "Sky 4". ?30m for getting relegated, brilliant.

Without Sky Spurs would be worse off. IMO.

Im pretty sure if you asked a fan of any team not in the Sky 4 you would get the same response.

Not really sure how we could be worse off than 2 Carling Cups in 20yrs? We had far more success before Sky re-invented soccer :rolleyes:

Any team that is not in the Sky 4 (& therefore the CL) is purely there to make up the numbers.

At the end of the day we are paying Spurs an infinite amount more respect than they are paying us.

We are literally jacking off to them every second - makes me sick.

I like spurs and always have but I could not give a flying pig shite if they do well or not.

I care about the wellbeing of one club and one only.......HMFC.

Now come on the Gorgie.............MAKE SOME NOISE!

kingantti1874

A bit vague on google! Supposedly from the number of people called Jock (Scottish version of John) north of the border.

thought that was it but was hoping for something a bit more exciting, cockney rhymning slang type explanation... i have never actually met anyone called jock in real life... i have met a hamish though, and an angus..

Im pretty sure if you asked a fan of any team not in the Sky 4 you would get the same response.

Not really sure how we could be worse off than 2 Carling Cups in 20yrs? We had far more success before Sky re-invented soccer :rolleyes:

Any team that is not in the Sky 4 (& therefore the CL) is purely there to make up the numbers.

How does Sky control who is in their 4?

There's no shame in being a wee bit star struck at the idea of playing a team made up of players like that with their associated price tags and their Premiership 'glamour'. None at all.

Thing is, I reckon it'll all go out of the window when that whistle blows and it all ends up coming down to just 11 men versus another 11 men. Exactly as it should be. They just become another side we want to beat. thumbsup.gif

How does Sky control who is in their 4?

Er, have you looked at the EPL final standings for the last 15-20 years....

Been pretty much the same four teams throughout although Man City seem to have sneaked in at the expense of Liverpool now.

Been pretty much the same four teams throughout although Man City seem to have sneaked in at the expense of Liverpool now.

I know this.

But what are Sky specifically doing to ensure this status?

Surely it's UEFA that are the issue here with the CL, not Sky?

to be fair to them, Chelsea broke into that 'Sky 4' themselves. at the start of the Premiership era they were also rans and hardly media favourites.

to be fair to them, Chelsea broke into that 'Sky 4' themselves. at the start of the Premiership era they were also rans and hardly media favourites.

True. With the help of a ?1bn injection from Roman, the same as City.

Jock is Scots for John. Like Jack in England, I suppose.

Scots soldiers tend to be called Jocks, no matter what their real name is.

Maybe it's because "we're all Jock Tamson's bairns". Something else to Google.

The general feeling I get from Spurs fans I have spoken is this somewhat "big team" mentality and that they think they have some god given right to be in the top 4. I just can't get my head around how you think Sky pretty much decide who's in the top 4.

So Liverpool's success pre-Sky means nothing. The fact that Fergie has worked wonders at United means nothing. Chelsea are where they are because of a rich owner, they done nothing of note pre-Abramovich which kinda shits all over your "Sky 4" arguement.

Your past history counts for nothing I'm afraid. You had a little flirt with the top 4 and had an opportunity to build on that but your chairman/owners chose not to (aren't your owners one of the most richest owners in the league?). Your last league win was 60/61, suppose it was Sky's fault you didn't win any league titles in between that time and them coming in ('92 was it?).

Blame Sky all you like but the reason Tottenham aren't successful anymore is down to Tottenham.

True. With the help of a ?1bn injection from Roman, the same as City.

of course. as has been pointed out though, I'd blame the CL more than Sky for cementing the top positions in the Premier League. Sky don't give Tottenham vastly less cash than Arsenal for example, but 15 years straight in the CL has given them a big financial help.

the whole money thing has, imo, ruined competition in football across Europe.

Er, have you looked at almost every major league in Europe? Funnily enough it tends to be the same handful of clubs who win the league. Scotland it's the Old Firm, Spain it's Barca and Real, Holland tends to be Ajax or PSV (with another team now and again), Italy it's Inter, Milan or Juve.

Your just not one of them, get over it!

Jam Tarts 1874

I seem to remember Bayern Munich were gonna pummel us, didn't work out that way though did it?

I notice that the Ladbrokees in West Maitland Street has put a sign in their window - "?10 on Spurs to win 3-0 gets you ?110". Given their proximity to Tynecastle don't you think they could have shown the returns on an Hearts win? Maybe someone will pan their window in now.

I seem to remember Bayern Munich were gonna pummel us, didn't work out that way though did it?

I notice that the Ladbrokees in West Maitland Street has put a sign in their window - "?10 on Spurs to win 3-0 gets you ?110". Given their proximity to Tynecastle don't you think they could have shown the returns on an Hearts win? Maybe someone will pan their window in now.

a bit off topic, but I have actually wondered whether you'd have a case to claim ?110 back from the bookies if you did one of those bets and it never came up. It doesn't say anywhere on their poster that 3-0 Spurs actually has to happen, does it? flagrant false promise imo.

There's no shame in being a wee bit star struck at the idea of playing a team made up of players like that with their associated price tags and their Premiership 'glamour'. None at all.

Thing is, I reckon it'll all go out of the window when that whistle blows and it all ends up coming down to just 11 men versus another 11 men. Exactly as it should be. They just become another side we want to beat. thumbsup.gif

I hope the players are not star struck redm or we are ******

Spurs are an excellent side but the vast majority of their players are like most others in the Asian Premiership - overpaid, over valued and highly over-rated.

Of course they are better than us in every department but as one famous ex Spurs player once said "it's a funny old game" and anything can happen.

It is XI v XI at the end of the day like you say so bring them on lol.

Not offensive as such but I reckon alot of people dislike it.

Personally I hate it. I go down to a few Sunderland and York City games now and again and the mackems particularly are bad for it. Wouldn't pull you up for using it but it really grinds my gears :down:

Er, have you looked at almost every major league in Europe? Funnily enough it tends to be the same handful of clubs who win the league. Scotland it's the Old Firm, Spain it's Barca and Real, Holland tends to be Ajax or PSV (with another team now and again), Italy it's Inter, Milan or Juve.

Your just not one of them, get over it!

LOL. YID - KNOW YOUR PLACE! I am a YID win or lose rain or shine. I am old enough too know that even if we lose 2 or 3 in a row (or have 2 points from 8 games under Ramos) i will still be in my seat at the next home game.

I am just stating the obvious that their is an objectionable Sky bias to the top 4 - nothing more. Its not rocket science.

I take it then you are happy to accept your position as an SPL also ran season after season or would you perhaps, like me, like to see a change in the status quo?

Personally I hate it. I go down to a few Sunderland and York City games now and again and the mackems particularly are bad for it. Wouldn't pull you up for using it but it really grinds my gears :down:

Fair enough. I have tried to refrain from using it as much as possible.

Some Spurs don't like YID, personally i am all for it.

You are the only person I know to be offended by it.

I actually like it and call ourselves it.

Mon the Sweatys!

LOL. YID - KNOW YOUR PLACE! I am a YID win or lose rain or shine. I am old enough too know that even if we lose 2 or 3 in a row (or have 2 points from 8 games under Ramos) i will still be in my seat at the next home game.

I am just stating the obvious that their is an objectionable Sky bias to the top 4 - nothing more. Its not rocket science.

I take it then you are happy to accept your position as an SPL also ran season after season or would you perhaps, like me, like to see a change in the status quo?

Of course I'd love to see a change in both Scotland and England however blaming Sky is the easy way out, especially when the income from TV money is fairly split.

You may or may not be aware of the financial split we are faced with up here, I believe it is more than a third of TV income is split between the top two in the league with the other two thirds divided up at even intervals between the other ten. Fancy a swap?

I reckon that for the first few days after the draw was made, I might have fallen in to the starry eyed dreamy Spurs loving category.

However as the games got closer, i've found myself getting more and more eager to actually see Hearts properly do Spurs. I dont actually care how unlikely it is, its still what I want to see.

I'll take no comfort from seeing their 'big names' play at Tynie if it means Hearts take a doing. None whatsoever.

As many have said, i want them to leave Edinburgh knowing they've been in a game, preferrably limping and hopefully holding back tears.

Of course I'd love to see a change in both Scotland and England however blaming Sky is the easy way out, especially when the income from TV money is fairly split.

You may or may not be aware of the financial split we are faced with up here, I believe it is more than a third of TV income is split between the top two in the league with the other two thirds divided up at even intervals between the other ten. Fancy a swap?

Probably. Looks to me like most of you are proper fans that love your club.

Id rather be surrounded by fellas/lassies like you (even if you are Scottish ;) ) than the day trippers & tourists we are subjected to.

Is that fawning?

Probably. Looks to me like most of you are proper fans that love your club.

Id rather be surrounded by fellas/lassies like you (even if you are Scottish ;) ) than the day trippers & tourists we are subjected to.

Is that fawning?

If daytrippers and tourists turned up often enough and gave us enough cash to compete with the Ugly Sisters I reckon I could find it in me to tolerate them. :)

If daytrippers and tourists turned up often enough and gave us enough cash to compete with the Ugly Sisters I reckon I could find it in me to tolerate them. :)

Agreed.

Besides, daytrippers and tourists would actually be a step up from the quality of some of the 'regulars' to be found on matchday at Tynecastle.

Spurs are a top 6 side in one of the beat leagues in the world. I appreciate that Hearts fans want to win, but looking at some of the players they have - Spurs IMO are too good a side & will win the tie. They won't win 5/6 nil both games, but it won't be close either

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Nope..

Allowayjambo1874

Agree with amjority, it's great to see a top club come into town but for 180 minutes they can go **** themselves and I will shout, sing and even abuse them and do anything I can to see the famous Gorgie get through. The perfect start would be for Spurs to take kick off, roll the ball to Bale and either Black or Mroweic go straight through him, the crowd will go mental.

F ck Spurs and anyone else that comes to Tynecastle, this is our club and we shall stand tall and together for a win.

jambos are go!

Whilst I think the reaction to this fixture on JKB is way over the top it does make we wonder if like the Ugly Sisters we need to escape the SPL in order to grow. Ive no doubt there would be a bigger audience for Championship never mind English Premiership football in Edinburgh. I've been on the road to Damascus as they say.

Interesting double standards from some.

Several want Hearts players to purposely go out with the intention of injuring Spurs players but im sure would be 'horrified' at the thought of it kicking off between the YA & other like-minded individuals.

:rolleyes:

We_are_the_Hearts

Football has changed, you don't get away with going through players these days. Couldn;t beat teh Euro nights in the 80s when we used to rough them into surrender then net a few goals. Best tackle was probably Alan McLaren against Olaf Thon of Bayern Munich. Chest height and total cruncher!

Allowayjambo1874

Several want Hearts players to purposely go out with the intention of injuring Spurs players but im sure would be 'horrified' at the thought of it kicking off between the YA & other like-minded individuals.

Difference between getting stuck in and hurting players on purpose mate, think we need to get in spurs players faces without too much mucking about. Problem is that they will get that wherever they go and are used to it. Add in Italian ref and don't think there will be too much opportunity in hurting players on purpose!

Given that Defoe broke Gordon's arm last season chasing a nothing ball he had no chance of winning......... :whistling:

Difference between getting stuck in and hurting players on purpose mate, think we need to get in spurs players faces without too much mucking about. Problem is that they will get that wherever they go and are used to it. Add in Italian ref and don't think there will be too much opportunity in hurting players on purpose!

Given that Defoe broke Gordon's arm last season chasing a nothing ball he had no chance of winning......... :whistling:

What Mr Alloway said. Big difference.

Nobody wants to see any injuries but there's no doubt that the game here is a little more, er...robust...it may work for us, it may work against us. But we need to use any possible advantage that we can.

Rangers last season only lost 1-0 to Manchester United over two games home and away last season.

I'd say the difference between us and Spurs is similar to that of the chasm between Rangers and Man U.

In terms of getting a win over two legs, that's really about the only positive spin I can put on it. But it certainly gives us hope for getting a memorable result from the first leg at Tynecastle.

Archived