Prospective squad for 2008/2009

bighusref

Now, if I can take a leap of faith for the purposes of this thread, and assume that we get a real manager in at the end of the season, I was wondering exactly who would be left here for his arrival. The official site has this squad listed (minus those we have been told have left).

GOALKEEPERS

Steve Banks

Anthony Basso

DEFENDERS

Jason Thomson

Jose Goncalves

Robbie Neilson

Marius Zaliukas

Christophe Berra

Hristos Karipidis

MIDFIELDERS

Lee Wallace

Ruben Palazuelos

Eggert Jonsson

Deividas Cesnauskis

Michael Stewart

Andrew Driver

Laryea Kingston

Saulius Mikoliunas

Kestutis Ivaskevicius

Audrius Ksanavicius

Bruno Aguiar

Neil McCann

STRIKERS

Jamie Mole

Calum Elliot

Juho Makela

Christian Nade

Mauricio Pinilla

Leaving us with a squad of 25. Of that squad, I would be surprised to see McCann, Makela, Elliot and Goncalves returning, leaving us with a squad of 21. Of those 21, 11 are midfielders. The problems for the new manager (arf) are obvious to me.

1) Getting a solid defender to play alongside Berra

2) two solid full backs

3) EITHER, getting a season out of Pinilla or getting a new striker or two in

4) a creative midfielder

5) a goalkeeper

That, coupled with shedding around half a dozen rubbish players from the above, would immediately raise us above whatever United, Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell can offer IMO.

However, if that leap of faith is unfounded, if we end up at the start of pre-season (much like last year) with a couple of former Kaunas players and an unknown VR friendly coach, we will have another year like this.

I honestly do not feel that our team is as rotten as it appears on matchday, proper guidance and I do think we can flourish.

Over to you now VR.

Charlie-Brown

I think there is the possibility that Kingston, Goncalves & maybe Cesnauskis could be sold - efforts will be made to try to shift Beslija, Makela & possibly Pinilla.....we cannot rule out bids for Berra, Driver, Wallace or Jonsson although I think Hearts would prefer to keep them unless we got a really fantastic offer (above full value) and if the player fancied the move then it would be unfair to stand in their way.

1. Banks & Basso are adequate and we should be looking to progress MacDonald & Bjornsson - they should get opportunities before we look elsewhere - if we do sign another then Graeme Smith of Motherwell is a promising young keeper starting to make international squads and is a jambo.

2. Fullbacks - again before we sign anyone then Jason Thomson, Johnny Brown, Shaun Kelly, Matej Rapnik & even Pelosi at Raith who's been getting good reviews should be given chances to see if they can make the step up.

3. Aguiar and / or Screpis could be the player(s) we need - or Kingston if he stays - but we need to find the right blend & balance in midfield - however with Stewart, Jonsson & Palazeulos - as well as the wide players I feel we are well covered in midfield as well as some youngsters in reserve - we just have to figure out who is the most effective combination.

4. Nade & Pinilla need to start making a much bigger contribution - Elliot if he stays needs to realise he is not a striker and will never be a prolific penalty box striker however he could still be an effective team player if he concentrates & works hard on his own game and drops deeper into a more attacking midfield role. Gary Glen & Jamie Mole could do with some game time & help to develop - whilst Lee Miller will be available and could resurrect his international career if he came here & worked hard & scored some goals.

5. We have enough players who can play central defence & plenty youngsters as cover although we do lack some experience at the back.

I think there is the possibility that Kingston, Goncalves & maybe Cesnauskis could be sold - efforts will be made to try to shift Beslija, Makela & possibly Pinilla.....we cannot rule out bids for Berra, Driver, Wallace or Jonsson although I think Hearts would prefer to keep them unless we got a really fantastic offer (above full value) and if the player fancied the move then it would be unfair to stand in their way.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say, I was simply setting an outline for the new season, perming only those out of contract from our list. The only players I suggested leaving have had either statements saying they want away, bids for them, or been frozen out.

I did not add in that I have heard that Nade and Kingston will be sold on in the summer as that is a rumour and even if it is true, is far from definite as Hearts would need to find clubs that want to pay OUR going rate.

1. Banks & Basso are adequate and we should be looking to progress MacDonald & Bjornsson - they should get opportunities before we look elsewhere - if we do sign another then Graeme Smith of Motherwell is a promising young keeper starting to make international squads and is a jambo.

Not seen enough of either young 'keeper tbh, what I have seen, I must admit to being far from impressed. As for Smith, I don't rate him myself.

2. Fullbacks - again before we sign anyone then Jason Thomson, Johnny Brown, Shaun Kelly, Matej Rapnik & even Pelosi at Raith who's been getting good reviews should be given chances to see if they can make the step up.

If we were to do that then this is the time, if we start the season with full backs that are not up to it, we could lose ground early in the campaign again. Experienced full backs required IMO. BTW, Rapnik is more of a centre half and I thought that Pelosi was no longer a Hearts player?

3. Aguiar and / or Screpis could be the player(s) we need - or Kingston if he stays - but we need to find the right blend & balance in midfield - however with Stewart, Jonsson & Palazeulos - as well as the wide players I feel we are well covered in midfield as well as some youngsters in reserve - we just have to figure out who is the most effective combination.

I don't rate Aguiar and haven't seen Screpis. As for your closing gambit, I generally agree, I just don't see where the creativity is in this midfield.

4. Nade & Pinilla need to start making a much bigger contribution - Elliot if he stays needs to realise he is not a striker and will never be a prolific penalty box striker however he could still be an effective team player if he concentrates & works hard on his own game and drops deeper into a more attacking midfield role. Gary Glen & Jamie Mole could do with some game time & help to develop - whilst Lee Miller will be available and could resurrect his international career if he came here & worked hard & scored some goals.

Totally agree re Nade and Pinilla. For me, Elliot is simply not good enough to play SPL football. I would also go for Miller, proven scorer that had a great record here.

5. We have enough players who can play central defence & plenty youngsters as cover although we do lack some experience at the back.

We do have enough players that play central defence, but we don't have enough good ones. Berra is crying out for help back there IMO.

I note that you have mentioned youngsters regularly in your post. I purposely left them out as I think it would be unrealistic to expect youth players to come in and carry this team. They will play their part, but they will have to work their way in gradually IMO.

I think we need another goalkeeper (Basso and Kurskis out) and probably a first team one at that. I think we also need:

backup for right back

a dominating centre half captain (Tall, Zaliukas and Karipidis out)

a right midfielder (Besijla, Kingston, Ivaskevicius out)

a ballwinner in central midfield (Aguiar, Ksnavicius out and wouldn't be bothered if Palazuelos or Stewart out)

a midfield to front 'hole' player/attacking midfielder,

a player who can hold the ball up front (Nade, Elliot out)

and a poaching striker with pace.

Club can't afford the current squad. And the Kaunas players have been holding up the development of young players for 2 seasons now. So some expensive fans favourites and cheap Kaunas players have to go.

Now, if I can take a leap of faith for the purposes of this thread, and assume that we get a real manager in at the end of the season, I was wondering exactly who would be left here for his arrival. The official site has this squad listed (minus those we have been told have left).

GOALKEEPERS

Steve Banks

Anthony Basso

DEFENDERS

Jason Thomson

Jose Goncalves

Robbie Neilson

Marius Zaliukas

Christophe Berra

Hristos Karipidis

MIDFIELDERS

Lee Wallace

Ruben Palazuelos

Eggert Jonsson

Deividas Cesnauskis

Michael Stewart

Andrew Driver

Laryea Kingston

Saulius Mikoliunas

Kestutis Ivaskevicius

Audrius Ksanavicius

Bruno Aguiar

Neil McCann

STRIKERS

Jamie Mole

Calum Elliot

Juho Makela

Christian Nade

Mauricio Pinilla

Leaving us with a squad of 25. Of that squad, I would be surprised to see McCann, Makela, Elliot and Goncalves returning, leaving us with a squad of 21. Of those 21, 11 are midfielders. The problems for the new manager (arf) are obvious to me.

2) two solid full backs

4) a creative midfielder

5) a goalkeeper

That, coupled with shedding around half a dozen rubbish players from the above, would immediately raise us above whatever United, Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell can offer IMO.

However, if that leap of faith is unfounded, if we end up at the start of pre-season (much like last year) with a couple of former Kaunas players and an unknown VR friendly coach, we will have another year like this.

I honestly do not feel that our team is as rotten as it appears on matchday, proper guidance and I do think we can flourish.

Over to you now VR.

I think the job is far bigger than you suggest, on top of actually getting the proper manager in. WE were told even after Burley left that we would be challenging at the top of Scottish football and in Europe. Think back to the squad of a couple of years ago and look at the squad you list. There is no one of the calibre of Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley, Skacel, Jankauskas, Bednar, Fyssas. We would need to spend millions to assembe a squaad of that calibre and that wont happen therefore even if we do as you suggest we wont necessarily be ahead of Utd or Well or the wee team and the end of next season

I think the job is far bigger than you suggest, on top of actually getting the proper manager in. WE were told even after Burley left that we would be challenging at the top of Scottish football and in Europe. Think back to the squad of a couple of years ago and look at the squad you list. There is no one of the calibre of Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Hartley, Skacel, Jankauskas, Bednar, Fyssas. We would need to spend millions to assembe a squaad of that calibre and that wont happen therefore even if we do as you suggest we wont necessarily be ahead of Utd or Well or the wee team and the end of next season

There isn't the money available to bring in players of that quality - there never actually was:dribble:

My squad restructuring above would be based on a wage bill of something like ?4m. And I would expect the manager to get us into 3rd or 4th most seasons with a tilt at a cup every couple of seasons. They would be encouraged to bring through young players and allowed to sign players for the purpose of building the team rather than showcasing players. No players would be 'dropped in' by the team owner.

Gigolo-Aunt

I would sell Kingston IF there was a guarentee that the money raised went back in to the squad.

Would go down the route of buying the best Scottish talent (ala Jeffries) at the moment. Would also bring in experienced players from England for a new CH and LB.

Would be tempted to see how much Wolves would be prepared to spend on Berra. On the understanding again that the money is put back in to the re-structuring (sp) of the squad.

The trouble is that this season has been SO bad that we don't have time to give them a chance, we need to see progress NOW or the club is in serious danger. Imagine the stick a new manager (ha ha) coming in will get if he tries to give the youngsters a chance and by Christmas we are in the bottom half.

ANyone coming in will need to get results - FAST.

There isn't the money available to bring in players of that quality - there never actually was:dribble:

My squad restructuring above would be based on a wage bill of something like ?4m. And I would expect the manager to get us into 3rd or 4th most seasons with a tilt at a cup every couple of seasons. They would be encouraged to bring through young players and allowed to sign players for the purpose of building the team rather than showcasing players. No players would be 'dropped in' by the team owner.

I can't believe some fans still want Hearts to spend fortunes chasing the Champions League dream. I agree with much of your restructuring, it is absolutely necessary to ensure the future of the club IMO. Dare I say it, it is roughly the model on which Hibs have been trading for the last 4 or 5 years and has proved to be quite successful both on the pitch and in their accounts.

Dirk Diggler

GOALKEEPERS

Steve Banks

Anthony Basso

DEFENDERS

Jason Thomson

Jose Goncalves

Robbie Neilson

Marius Zaliukas

Christophe Berra

Hristos Karipidis

MIDFIELDERS

Lee Wallace

Ruben Palazuelos

Eggert Jonsson

Deividas Cesnauskis

Michael Stewart

Andrew Driver

Laryea Kingston

Saulius Mikoliunas

Kestutis Ivaskevicius

Audrius Ksanavicius

Bruno Aguiar

Neil McCann

STRIKERS

Jamie Mole

Calum Elliot

Juho Makela

Christian Nade

Mauricio Pinilla

2) two solid full backs

4) a creative midfielder

5) a goalkeeper

Over to you now VR.

Good post.

I know you based it on the assumption that we are to get a 'proper manager', What I would say with regards the part in bold is that as the squad is decreasing in quality the importance of proper guidance becomes greater and greater.

We have got away with it in many respects in the last couple of seasons because of the quality of player we still have at the club.

If we are going down the road of promoting youngsters and bringing in a lesser quality player to replace the ones being sold (a road that i agree we need to go down) we need a complete restructuring of the coaching squad.

To go down that road without doing so would be complete folly imo.

There is 13 players in that list I would get rid off. Leaving us with 12.

So I think we need to bring in a :

Goalkeeper

Right back

Centre back

Left back

Creative Midfielder

Winger

Second striker

Striker

Striker

That would leave a squad of 21. I would then promote the likes of McGowan, Brown etc.

Good post.

I know you based it on the assumption that we are to get a 'proper manager', What I would say with regards the part in bold is that as the squad is decreasing in quality the importance of proper guidance becomes greater and greater.

We have got away with it in many respects in the last couple of seasons because of the quality of player we still have at the club.

If we are going down the road of promoting youngsters and bringing in a lesser quality player to replace the ones being sold (a road that i agree we need to go down) we need a complete restructuring of the coaching squad.

To go down that road without doing so would be complete folly imo.

Totally agree with that mate. Prior to this season, the Arab fan missus would have loved to have taken some of our players for her team. Now? I wouldn't think she would be so desperate. Some of the players we have are simply not good enough, some of them are being grossly mismanaged.

SURELY VR can see that, and will make the change.

ColtbridgeJambo

GOALKEEPERS

Steve Banks

Anthony Basso

DEFENDERS

Jason Thomson

Jose Goncalves - Get rid

Robbie Neilson

Marius Zaliukas - Get rid

Christophe Berra

Kristos Karipidis

Ibrahim Tall

MIDFIELDERS

Lee Wallace

Ruben Palazuelos

Eggert Jonsson

Deividas Cesnauskis

Michael Stewart - Get rid

Andrew Driver

Laryea Kingston

Saulius Mikoliunas

Kestutis Ivaskevicius - Get rid

Audrius Ksanavicius

Bruno Aguiar

Neil McCann - Get rid

Mirsad Beslija

Fernando Screpis

STRIKERS

Jamie Mole - Get rid

Calum Elliot - Get rid

Juho Makela - Give a chance

Christian Nade

Mauricio Pinilla

2) two solid full backs

4) a creative midfielder

5) a goalkeeper

Over to you now VR.

Of course that is your opinion Coltbridge, but I find it very hard to believe that Tall will be here next year, there is not a chance he will sign a new contract IMO.

ColtbridgeJambo
Of course that is your opinion Coltbridge, but I find it very hard to believe that Tall will be here next year, there is not a chance he will sign a new contract IMO.

Mirsad Beslija

Fernando Screpis

will be here next season big yin.

Tall will leave Hearts. I am sure he will return to France.

Pinilla will also leave. He will get no contract for next season.

Makela will search a new challenge.

I`ll hope Beslija will find another Club, maybe in Belgium.

Ivaskevicius should return to FBK Kaunas.

Goncalves isn`t very happy at Hearts, I think he will leave.

ColtbridgeJambo
Tall will leave Hearts. I am sure he will return to France.

Pinilla will also leave. He will get no contract for next season.

Makela will search a new challenge.

I`ll hope Beslija will find another Club, maybe in Belgium.

Ivaskevicius should return to FBK Kaunas.

Goncalves isn`t very happy at Hearts, I think he will leave.

All I was pointing out is that Bighusref missed out Tall, Screpis (who are listed) and Beslija (quoted as coming back)

I was wondering exactly who would be left here for his arrival. The official site has this squad listed (minus those we have been told have left).

I'd say to that list:

GOALKEEPERS

Steve Banks - Keep

Anthony Basso - Out

Need new backup or 1st pick keeper similar or better than Banks

DEFENDERS

Jason Thomson - Backup Keep

Jose Goncalves - Backup Keep

Robbie Neilson - Out

Marius Zaliukas - Out

Christophe Berra - Keep

Hristos Karipidis - Backup Keep

Lee Wallace - Backup Keep

- Need new first choice CB, LB and RB

MIDFIELDERS

Ruben Palazuelos - Keep

Eggert Jonsson - Keep

Deividas Cesnauskis - Backup Keep

Michael Stewart - Backup Keep

Andrew Driver - Backup Keep

Laryea Kingston - Keep

Saulius Mikoliunas - Out

Kestutis Ivaskevicius - Out

Audrius Ksanavicius - Out

Bruno Aguiar - Out

Neil McCann - Out

Need new first-choice RM & LM, and probably an AM

STRIKERS

Jamie Mole - Out

Calum Elliot - Out

Juho Makela - Out

Christian Nade - Backup Keep

Mauricio Pinilla - Keep

Need another 2 decent Stikers

All I was pointing out is that Bighusref missed out Tall, Screpis (who are listed) and Beslija (quoted as coming back)

Mirsad Beslija

Fernando Screpis

will be here next season big yin.

Aye whatever, I used the team photo (and those mentioned as "not pictured") on the official site as a "squad".

Tall will not be here, you definitely got that wrong, and isn't Screpis only on loan 'til the end of the season? As for Beslija, I'll believe he is coming back when he is back. If you are going on "quoted as coming back", you should have had a read at what Frail said yesterday (or was it Thursday?) re Beslija.

Archived