Paulo Sergio

wright1989

"There has to be more mobility, more players wanting the ball. In the first half, we lost the ball so much, and no one wanted the ball. Our players are running all around the pitch, but with no ball. The basic things in football are what we must improve on."

Just what I have said about how JJ got the team to play. Pre-season consisted of running about the hills of Tuscany and not much football. We need to give him and the players time to get us playing good football. Remember the players have been training with him for less than a week. He's took over from someone who's only ever known how to play the 'Scottish' way.

I'm sure the players will have more of a clue in the coming weeks after Paulo starts to show them the way the beautiful game is meant to be played.

Trust in Sergio.

Drylaw Hearts

He will never make McGowan, Jonsson, Zaliukas or Mrowiec into good passers of the ball.

PS needs to find a couple of mobile stikers because Sutton and Stevenson are as stiff as John Holmes during working hours.

Chad Sexington

He will have learned far more today than at any time since he arrived.

Hopefully he gets the backing to bring the quality in we desperately need.

He will never make McGowan, Jonsson, Zaliukas or Mrowiec into good passers of the ball.

PS needs to find a couple of mobile stikers because Sutton and Stevenson are as stiff as John Holmes during working hours.

I think Zal gets quite a bit of unfair stick in regards to his passing. A lot of our best moves start with Zal breaking from the back and threading balls inside the opposition fullbacks. The big problem playing football from the back is we have no one in midfield who is good enough to take the ball in make passes.

A bit unfair on Zal I think but I do agree. Vlad has decided to sack JJ at this time and now he needs to give his new man a bit of resources.

I think Ruben would have been a good player under his guidance.

I could not give two hoots about good football. Since when did we become hibs. I'd take 3 points every time, if we play good football to get there thats a bonus

Spot on from Sergio. I have often said in the last few games it's just basic football we lack and we try too hard sometimes to impress. Some players make it hard on themselves by trying too hard to go the extra step when all is needed is maybe a simple pass. Another thing I will say about our squad at the moment is we need to just start having a dig at goal. Quite often when we get the ball in the box or near it we try to walk it in. We have a good few players who can smash the ball in the net during warm ups but they get shy in front of goal.

Very pedestrian in the first half. Struggling with 10 men in the second. Bit of a problem about to surface/ already surfaced with players signed by one manager to "bulk up" the squad not really all fitting into a new manager's way of playing. again the problem of the timing. Vlad must give Sergio some money! I came away today thinking how well Bruno would fit in..a bit of skill and the ability to make room for himself!

one for the connosuiers there.... :thumbsup:

"There has to be more mobility, more players wanting the ball. In the first half, we lost the ball so much, and no one wanted the ball. Our players are running all around the pitch, but with no ball. The basic things in football are what we must improve on."

The bit in bold and the bit not in bold cannot be argued with.

I think Zal gets quite a bit of unfair stick in regards to his passing. A lot of our best moves start with Zal breaking from the back and threading balls inside the opposition fullbacks. The big problem playing football from the back is we have no one in midfield who is good enough to take the ball in make passes.

Rub?n Palazuelos,how much do we miss him?... :sweat:

There was certainly quite a few names that sprung to mind on the reject pile before Ruben. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was a big mistake but he was definately reliable.

Rudolf's Mate

Sadly I, as others do, fear we do not have the personel to play the way the manager wants. Not his fault however I think unless he gets some dosh then Vlad is going to have to be extremely understanding/lenient!

If Webster can ever be arsed playing again he'll make a difference to how Sergio is trying to get us to play as he can actually pass the ball quite well for a defender.

Its true what he said about nobody from midfield coming looking for the ball so I'd like to see Scott Robinson getting a chance against the sheep as he did that well when he played against St Mirren last season.

I fear we're trying too much too soon though and we should only be trying to play like this once we've mastered it in training which will take a couple of weeks.

portobellojambo1

Not the worst performance by Hearts we didnt have any strikers on the park

Depends on what time frame you are talking about I suppose. That is the worst we have played since Csaba Laszlo left, that was feckin boring in the extreme, think half the visiting fans were sound asleep by half time. It was awful on the eye, and an absolute borefest.

In the SPL you have to play to your strengths, tippy tappy football that achieves nothing will only drive the fans away, it will win us nothing. If we perform as we did today regularly, it will be a long hard painful season. If Romanov is unwilling to invest millions in the team (bringing in players who can play high level continental football) then the manager will have to rethink how he wants them to play. The thought of watching another 'Laszloesque' season doesn't bear thinking about.

A centre half and at least one ball-playing midfielder are definitely required on this season's showing so far.

Depends on what time frame you are talking about I suppose. That is the worst we have played since Csaba Laszlo left, that was feckin boring in the extreme, think half the visiting fans were sound asleep by half time. It was awful on the eye, and an absolute borefest.

In the SPL you have to play to your strengths, tippy tappy football that achieves nothing will only drive the fans away, it will win us nothing. If we perform as we did today regularly, it will be a long hard painful season. If Romanov is unwilling to invest millions in the team (bringing in players who can play high level continental football) then the manager will have to rethink how he wants them to play. The thought of watching another 'Laszloesque' season doesn't bear thinking about.

i believe we have a top coach but you can not polish a turd vlad show him the money

At least the guy has come out with an honest opinion of what he seen.Too many times in this league a manager will tell you one thing when everyone else can see it's complete bullshit.

Drylaw Hearts

A centre half and at least one ball-playing midfielder are definitely required on this season's showing so far.

And 2 strikers.

Proper strikers.

Italian Lambretta

I actually thought that the player who coped the best with the passing game was Wroviec.

Jamie Hamill is good with the ball but we don't know where to play him.

Danny Grainger got pass marks today, but Templeton needs to be dropped.

As for Sutton he is just too stiff. Not the player I thought we were getting.

At least the guy has come out with an honest opinion of what he seen.Too many times in this league a manager will tell you one thing when everyone else can see it's complete bullshit.

Clerry Jambo

PJ1, you are one of the guys on here that knows what he is talking about and you travel far and wide to watch the team.

The bit in bold mate, I fear you may wait a long time.

Now I am not turning this into a Vlad debate because it's been done to death and to be honest feckin boring now.

The point is Vlad hasn't invested that sort of money since that first season, on the positive side we are still paying the 3rd best wages in the league.

We still have good players in the squad and if we could have been even better if we maybe had gone that bit further to say land a Bryson, Gomis or Bauben as examples, but we didn't.

I honestly don't think it will take millions to at least get us third, just a player or 2 of the quality I have mentioned already

Italian Lambretta

There must be another Bruno Aguiar type player available in Portugal we can get?

We have players in the squad (if VR does not release funds) to play the game Sergio is looking for, Skacel, Robinson, Holt, maybe Taouil. Theu will drive the ball forward from midfield as opposed to covering every blade of grass without the ball.

I think Sergio wants to play the keep ball type of game but moving forwards with it as opposed to sideways(i think he has said as much), he will realise on todays showing that the central midfield pairing today will not offer us that.

I am not worried right now about Sergios style.

scott_jambo

"There has to be more mobility, more players wanting the ball. In the first half, we lost the ball so much, and no one wanted the ball.

I tried to explain this to Ewan Cameron in his last thread when he was doing his football connoisseur impression. we mindlessly passed the ball along the back 4 against Paksi for the majority of the game because the central midield and others were not taking responsibility to take the ball in tight positions and shift it into the final third.

There must be another Bruno Aguiar type player available in Portugal we can get?

Did i not read somewhere that he's after one of his midfielders from Sporting? We definitely need to do something before it's too late to make any impact.

I tried to explain this to Ewan Cameron in his last thread when he was doing his football connoisseur impression. we mindlessly passed the ball along the back 4 against Paksi for the majority of the game because the central midield and others were not taking responsibility to take the ball in tight positions and shift it into the final third.

Same thing happened today.

We need to master this in training before we start doing it in games imo as I said at the match we'll lose it and conceed a daft goal if we keep doing this.

Italian Lambretta

I think Paulo will have realised already that he has inherited a team that will find it difficult to play a European type of passing football.

However, it's worth pointing out that it's Vlad who wants us to play this type of way. That's why he got rid of JJ and brought Paulo in. We just about reached the level Vlad was looking fir back in season 2006 but couldn't sustain it. We haven't come anywhere near that since.

So if Vlad wants Hearts to play a European style and has chafed Paulo with doing that then he will have to back the manager and bring in a number foreign players that can play whst he wants.

And 2 strikers.

Proper strikers.

Even say Sergio wanted to it is very unlikely that any of Kyle, Elliott, Sutton or Elliot can be moved on. Also players like Stevenson and Glen on the wage bill.

To add another 2 strikers to that list when there are also others who could fill in as front players in Driver, Templeton, Robinson and Suso looks very unlikely.

Drylaw Hearts

Even say Sergio wanted to it is very unlikely that any of Kyle, Elliott, Sutton or Elliot can be moved on. Also players like Stevenson and Glen on the wage bill.

To add another 2 strikers to that list when there are also others who could fill in as front players in Driver, Templeton, Robinson and Suso looks very unlikely.

It is hugely unlikely.

Unfortunately.

Johanes de Silentio

Think he's nailed it.

It is hugely unlikely.

Unfortunately.

Elliott has been a disappointment to me. Came with a reputation and international caps.

He looks little more than a workhorse for us unfortunately. His feet are too big for him to put away enough of his chances. :lol:

We would be a better side straight away if Kyle could get back to fitness. Whether he fits into the new 'style' at Hearts is another question.

Thunderstruck

Quite a lot, actually. He got pelters from some on here because he appeared to "dither" on the ball. Truth is he was very good at holding the ball, making a wee bit of space and then finding a pass. He rarely lost the ball and rarely misplaced a pass.

He also had a great engine and covered vast amounts of ground in a game, his work off the ball was immense - when he wasn't on the ball he was making runs, creating space and offering up options. The the opposition was on the ball, he closed down space or blocked off the man in possession..

He was at his best in front of the defence but turned in an exceptional shift as a LB. We should never have tampered with that back line - things started to go awry when we did.

Unfortunately, he was too expensive for our modest means.

BoJack Horseman

I actually thought that the player who coped the best with the passing game was Wroviec.

Jamie Hamill is good with the ball but we don't know where to play him.

Danny Grainger got pass marks today, but Templeton needs to be dropped.

As for Sutton he is just too stiff. Not the player I thought we were getting.

Not a personal dig at you, well it is but not just you, but it really grinds my gears when 'fans' don't bother to learn the names of our players. At the very least the starting XI.

I've heard too many people talking about our player Mar-ow-check.

Considering that even getting the spelling right only takes a few clicks of the mouse, there really is no excuse to be getting that wrong.

Hawick Jambo

Agree with a lot of what is on this thread but still think we cry out for a Fulton esque type midfielder, someone like Bruno who can make the passes.

I agree that we also need a centre half and forward, but I would say those were less of a priority

I'd also slot Hammill back to right back

In some ways today wasn't entirely unexpected. I'd love us to go through against Spurs but if that means we can't play decently when it comes back to the League then I'd prefer if the European distraction ended

Johanes de Silentio

Not that much.

Again with this? Really?

This performance was very much the same as the one against Paksi IMO other than the quality of the opposition was better. I agree that its encouraging that Paulo knows whats wrong but I really don't think we are capable at the moment of playing the type of football he's wanting with the players available. We have a midfield full of hatchet men who are good at what they do but not creative at all, one winger unfit and the other one lacking confidence and a striker who doesn't look keen to playing up front by himself. i feel unless Paulo or vlad by that matter whistling.gif has anyone lined up then I feel we would only be panic buying at this stage and could end up with over paid players on long contracts which they dont merit!

Jambof3tornado

We have plenty of players who can pass a ball,what we lack is a player who knows how to make a good forward pass. I thought Jamie Hammill did it well for a while in the euro tie.

Given time we can do much better.

Back of the Bus

We were so SLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW today. This passing style has exposed how good (Or not) we are at moving the ball around. Honestly, it was like watching an oil tanker do a 3 point turn.

I could not give two hoots about good football. Since when did we become hibs. I'd take 3 points every time, if we play good football to get there thats a bonus

It's ALL about winning and I don't care how we get there but the only teams we'll beat by 'having a go' as you say is the lesser teams. We wouldn't have a chance in Europe or playing the uglies with that type of football and that is a fact.

By trying to match teams we will always get bet of the bigger teams nearly all the time.

Arthur Morgan

He will have learned far more today than at any time since he arrived.

Hopefully he gets the backing to bring the quality in we desperately need.

I agree with this. I really hope he gets to strengthen the team as the current players don't suit a passing style of football.

I like to hear a manager give an honest opinion after a defeat. Too often you wonder if the manager was watching the same pile of garbage as you were...

Just what I have said about how JJ got the team to play. Pre-season consisted of running about the hills of Tuscany and not much football. We need to give him and the players time to get us playing good football. Remember the players have been training with him for less than a week. He's took over from someone who's only ever known how to play the 'Scottish' way.

I'm sure the players will have more of a clue in the coming weeks after Paulo starts to show them the way the beautiful game is meant to be played.

Trust in Sergio.

It was abundantly clear from the way that the team was set up that Sergio wanted them to keep the ball on the ground and play from the back - but the quote from Sergio says it all. He is spot on, but the question is do we have the players to implement what he terms as the "basic things in football"? Sadly I have my doubts. Today will have taught Sergio a lot about the job ahead of him.

In the SPL you have to play to your strengths, tippy tappy football that achieves nothing will only drive the fans away, it will win us nothing.

I wasn't at the game today but have thought long and hard since Thursday and it's not just the players that need to change it's also the fans (this is a general comment but the post quoted above seemed relevant).

I know we didn't need to force the game on Thurs but there were definate signs of a more 'continental' approach passing the ball back and forward along the back line and back to keeper, probing for openings and not rushing into lumping the ball long. However, there were also some serious murmerings around me and i could hear the odd boo round the ground when the ball went back the way. Also today on the radio Sandy Clark said in the first half something like 'Hearts are dictating the pace of the game' which only backed up my thinking.

I could be proved wrong but we're in for a big sea change in the way we try to play. Whether we have the players to do this or not is another matter.

I'm sure Paulo knows what we need. He has got us passing a lot better, however with the current players, especially in the middle of the park we will struggle to break teams down. Driver and Temps are great options out wide, but we need a couple of midfielders who can dictate the play, tempo and make forward passes. This is an area we have lacked for a while and JJ never addressed this in the summer so Sergio has inherited this problem. I'm sure he will bring in a couple of players in the not too distant future.

gowestjambo

I wasn't at the game today but have thought long and hard since Thursday and it's not just the players that need to change it's also the fans (this is a general comment but the post quoted above seemed relevant).

I know we didn't need to force the game on Thurs but there were definate signs of a more 'continental' approach passing the ball back and forward along the back line and back to keeper, probing for openings and not rushing into lumping the ball long. However, there were also some serious murmerings around me and i could hear the odd boo round the ground when the ball went back the way. Also today on the radio Sandy Clark said in the first half something like 'Hearts are dictating the pace of the game' which only backed up my thinking.

I could be proved wrong but we're in for a big sea change in the way we try to play. Whether we have the players to do this or not is another matter.

I dont give a monkeys HOW we play!

There are only 2 areas that matter in a football pitch - the 18 yard boxes.

When the ball comes into your 18 yard box, you have to defend it.

When its in the opposition box, you have to attack it and score a goal.

Against Dundee Utd and Motherwell we failed miserably to do either.

Hearts winning is all I care about, its a bit like golf - its not how, its how many!

Why do we have to complicate a fairly simple game?

Archived