So Vlad wants the title?

BigMDV

Ludicrous.

Ok then if you were given the chance to have your say on what positions we should invest in what would you say?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts

I can see why you have a ridiculous post count now Drylaw. Answer the question.

I have a ridiculous post count because there are some real dumbos on here who think that our current squad is only a couple of players short of winning the SPL.

Now unless these players happen to be Messi and Ronaldo it's as stupid a statement I've seen on here.

Carl Spackler

I have a ridiculous post count because there are some real dumbos on here who think that our current squad is only a couple of players short of winning the SPL.

Now unless these players happen to be Messi and Ronaldo it's as stupid a statement I've seen on here.

Answer the question properly.

I know it's difficult for the hard of thinking but try your best.

Drylaw Hearts

Ok then if you were given the chance to have your say on what positions we should invest in what would you say?

We need to strengthen every position to have any chance of winning the SPL.

We have no real quality of cover for Kello.

Right Back we could probably get away with.

We have only one fit CH which means we need 2 to have sufficient cover.

We need another LB as Grainger is all we've got.

We need another RM'er.

We need 2 or 3 CM'ers.

We need 2 or 3 strikers as none of ours scores enough goals.

That post may not have been aimed at me but I didn't say at any point we could win the league with 2 signings, but I do believe we would have a very good squad.

Realist after watching Hearts and Scottish football for 30 years. Back in the Ferguson and McLean days putting in a challenge was realistic as TV money hadn't entered the game yet. Now it's impossible. The moment the OF are threatened they will go out and buy big. We scraped 2nd in 2006 partly through the element of surprise early in the season - no-one thought a challenge could be maintained 0 and through the high quality of player we brought in. We haven't brought that kind of quality to the club since and unless we do it will take a specific set of circumstances - weak OF (both of them), stronger challenges from the rest of the SPL, an injury and suspension free season from us, a long unbeaten run of form by us, and Vlad not changing manager twice a season. I'm not holding my breath - are you?

I thought we had a good chance under JJ this year as Rangers are honking and Celtic not a lot better. Still think we should do well with Sergio and the players we have, but Vlad need to spend 2 or 3 mill on players at least to show us he's serious. It can't be done by chopping and changing managers and hoping one will get it right.

:thumbsup:

Agree with this

Jambothroughandthrough

Bang on! We have not been astute enough in the recruitment of players and it is blatantly obvious that teams like Motherwell have better quality players who can perform on a consistent basis. They are also not afraid to play young players with an appetite and ability to pass the ball.

Motherwell play to their strengths and that brought out the best in Sutton last season. Humphries and Murphy out wide supplying the ammunition. Both are also a goal threat and get up to support their front man who was Sutton last season and Higdon this season.

We have the wingers in Driver and Temps to supply Sutton. First you need to play Sutton. Secondly you have to play Skacel just behind Sutton to support the big man.

In short we have to play a 4-2-3-1. We did at Ibrox with....EJ and IB sitting in front of the back 4 and ahead of them.....

Taouil Obua Temps

Sutton

It worked a treat. We have the personel to play 4-2-3-1. Play it and stop playing RS as a striker because he isn't.

I feel sorry for Sutton because he is a good player as he proved at Motherwell last year. He did well with his hold up play against Paksi and his performance at Ibrox. Play the boy and he'll come good but he needs help and Skacel just behind him with Driver and Temps out wide will do damgage.

It's not all doom and gloom for me as I still think we have a good enough squad to walk at least 3rd and if PS can work his magic it could get better.

I'm not pushing the panic button yet...

We need to strengthen every position to have any chance of winning the SPL.

We have no real quality of cover for Kello.

We have only one fit CH which means we need 2 to have sufficient cover.

We need another LB as Grainger is all we've got.

We need another RM'er.

We need 2 or 3 CM'ers.

We need 2 or 3 strikers as none of ours scores enough goals.

How much extra on your ST would you be willing to pay to achieve even half of your wish list and if VR refuses who do you have in mind to provide the funds?

How much extra on your ST would you be willing to pay to achieve even half of your wish list and if VR refuses who do you have in mind to provide the funds?

How else does VR expect to win the league if he is not willing to fund such ambition ?

Drylaw Hearts

I'm not the one expecting us to challenge.

But VR is.

One name that springs to mind from last year, Marlon Harwood. Signed for Blackpool on a bosman, 10k a week, scored 5 goals in 16 games for team that ended up getting relagated. Now I'm not saying we could have got him but if Vlad was serious then he would have ripped the SPL a new one last year. I know spending that kind of money would mean reducing the squad but if that is what it takes.....

Carl Spackler

That's not a fair question on Drylaw. (And I haven't looked at his analysis).

The question is if Vlad wants to win the league then what does HE need to do.

If he wants it this season WE can't provide it.

Carl Spackler

We need to strengthen every position to have any chance of winning the SPL. NO CHANCE, ONLY NEEDS A FEW.

We have no real quality of cover for Kello. MacDonald and Balogh (best cover in the league)

We have only one fit CH which means we need 2 to have sufficient cover. I agree

We need another LB as Grainger is all we've got. Glass half Empty

We need another RM'er. Wrong

We need 2 or 3 CM'ers. Need 1 or 2 correct

We need 2 or 3 strikers as none of ours scores enough goals. Not sure about this. With decent ball we have plenty

What I reckon in red above.

The Comedian

And the best part? Sergio will be sacked when we don't win anything.

If he wants to win the league he needs to invest millions in the squad which has been the case since he came.

He won't give a manager the time or free hand to build a side over say 4 or 5 years.

The man needs to get real.

One name that springs to mind from last year, Marlon Harwood. Signed for Blackpool on a bosman, 10k a week, scored 5 goals in 16 games for team that ended up getting relagated. Now I'm not saying we could have got him but if Vlad was serious then he would have ripped the SPL a new one last year. I know spending that kind of money would mean reducing the squad but if that is what it takes.....

Marlon Harewood = Nade :geek:

As well as new players in, we imo still have a few to ship out.

Goalie........................Kello with Balogh and youth for back up................McDonald to go.

Left back......Grainger........and one in

Right back ....McGowan, Hammil, Jonsson, Barr.............on their day they can each do a job but over a season?, but i would get rid of one, Right back required imo

Centre Defence ...Webster, Zaliukas, Jonsson, Barr, McGowan, Mroweic...............too many average players.................get rid of one and bring in another better player.

Centre midfield.....Stevenson, Black,Mroweic, Skacel, Hammil, Taouil,Obua, Robinson, Holt, Dennis...................Black +1 out, 2 in.

Wide men...Templeton, Driver, Novikovas, Suso, Skacel, Taouil, Obua.................Suso out(maybe one other), no-one in.

Forwards..........Kyle, Sutton, Elliott, Smith, Elliot, Glen, Stevenson.......................Glen and Elliot out, one more in.

There is room to move on 3-4 and bring in 3-4.

Carl Spackler

And the best part? Sergio will be sacked when we don't win anything.

If he wants to win the league he needs to invest millions in the squad which has been the case since he came.

He won't give a manager the time or free hand to build a side over say 4 or 5 years.

The man needs to get real.

That's not true. He has. Very serious money. But not as serious as the OF.

That's not true. He has. Very serious money. But not as serious as the OF.

Well why doesn't he spend it? Yes he has serious money, but so far I haven't seen it?

Not saying Marlon Harwood is the best thing since sliced bread but a big, quickish and strong centre forward with bags of EPL games under his belt acepted to play for 10k. If we had a handful of players who warrented those sorts of wages instead of paying 8 midfield/wingers a weekly wage when we could get away with may 5 and a handful of utility players then Vlad might get closer to his goal.

Carl Spackler

Well why doesn't he spend it? Yes he has serious money, but so far I haven't seen it?

He has spent it in wages not signings. ?10m a year on average over the last few years. Only now is this being redressed.

I'm sure others can correct me.

I heard Sandy Clark on the radio saying we need ?20m to challenge for the league, he's probably correct.

Lots of the quality that we had and to a certain extent wasted has been replaced by very average players, especially in midfield.

I would say that the only players we have that could be in a league winning team are Kello, Webster, Hamill, Templeton and maybe a fit Driver - the rest are just not good enough except possibly McGowan depending on how he settles into the team.

Yes and the clown has still not got it right so that speaks volumes.

:thumbsup:

Who has been the most successful owner/ chairman in terms of league position and trophies won in the last 25 years or so?

He has spent it in wages not signings. ?10m a year on average over the last few years. Only now is this being redressed.

Yes, the debt for equity/forgiveness situations were ways to capitalise the losses made by paying such daft wages to these players. To be fair to VR, early on in the era there were comments saying that the wage bill would be ?10m. This seemed ludicrous to us all given that the Pieman/Levein wage bill of c. ?4m was at the time leading to the club trying to sell the ground to deal with the losses. But the wage bill has been at that ?10m level so he delivered on that promise.

It has been wasted on players not worthy of it. But it has been paid and the cash in Nade/Kingston/Stewart's back pockets has indirectly come from VR's companies eventually through the capitalised losses.

Yeah, but in theory we're ..in the same stadium, with the same training center and averaging similar positions in the league/cups since before he took over?

Sure wages have gone up a little but we were always one of the highest payers outside of the OF anyway.

If he has 'very serious money', then I for one haven't seen it yet..

Who has been the most successful owner/ chairman in terms of league position and trophies won in the last 25 years or so?

Chris Robinson based on a ratio of expenditure versus results :whistling:

I heard Sandy Clark on the radio saying we need ?20m to challenge for the league, he's probably correct.

Lots of the quality that we had and to a certain extent wasted has been replaced by very average players, especially in midfield.

I would say that the only players we have that could be in a league winning team are Kello, Webster, Hamill, Templeton and maybe a fit Driver - the rest are just not good enough except possibly McGowan depending on how he settles into the team.

A fit driver is the best player at the club. Webster will not play enough. Hamill doesn't look any great shakes to me. Temps is on a terrible run and grainger has beeneasily our best player this season.

As for who could be in a league winning side. I think we'd be in with a shout if we had three top notch additions. Striker, central defender, central midfielder. Neither half of the old firm are great IMO.

The Real Maroonblood

He is talking (Which he is an expert at) about winning the title.

Carl Spackler

Yes, the debt for equity/forgiveness situations were ways to capitalise the losses made by paying such daft wages to these players. To be fair to VR, early on in the era there were comments saying that the wage bill would be ?10m. This seemed ludicrous to us all given that the Pieman/Levein wage bill of c. ?4m was at the time leading to the club trying to sell the ground to deal with the losses. But the wage bill has been at that ?10m level so he delivered on that promise.

It has been wasted on players not worthy of it. But it has been paid and the cash in Nade/Kingston/Stewart's back pockets has indirectly come from VR's companies eventually through the capitalised losses.

The OF are still about ?30m though aren't they? And look at the state of them? Hardly a million light years away?

Chris Robinson based on a ratio of expenditure versus results :whistling:

Lol, that wasn't quite what I asked by that ratio it could be argued Hamilton are better than rangers.

He is talking (Which he is an expert at) about winning the title.

I'm aware of that but that wasn't my question.

Lol, that wasn't quite what I asked by that ratio it could be argued Hamilton are better than rangers.

oops, my mistake lol :blink:

Carl Spackler

Yeah, but in theory we're ..in the same stadium, with the same training center and averaging similar positions in the league/cups since before he took over?

Sure wages have gone up a little but we were always one of the highest payers outside of the OF anyway.

If he has 'very serious money', then I for one haven't seen it yet..

You're joking aren't you? The man has ploughed in a huge amount of cash. Now the OF might pay possibly 3 times more in wage but given the diddy inbred complacent nature of our league you would think that that would be enough to break it? If emphasis was placed in the correct places?

Emphasis has been placed with a ******* scattergun!

Cardiac Rucksack

How much did Burley spend in 05? We just need to look in the right areas.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm aware of that but that wasn't my question.

You are going off topic.

Feel free to start another thread on the great one.

:D

Carl Spackler

Absolutely rakes I suspect. Thus the Ire.

Nookie Bear

Anybody who actually thinks that we will have a sniff of being top of the league at some point this season never mind at the end of the campaign knows nothing about football , Romanov spending to compete with the old-firm is not going to happen he is all mouth no action

Can you imagine a team with Zalukas in it winning anything ?

Vlad, basically.

I've no idea. Looking in the right areas is correct. JJ moulded that team around Kyle. No Kyle no winning team. We are fine in the wider positions, not too bad defensively but need another central defender but the most important thing is a midfielder who can see a pass and play it and who has a decent engine, box to box type.

The OF are still about ?30m though aren't they? And look at the state of them? Hardly a million light years away?

Just look at Rangers' forwards. Jelavic, Naismith and Lafferty - all of whom would walk into the Hearts side. Then they have the likes of Healy who has 35 international goals for Northern Ireland!

I think it would be sensible to cut the wage bill by a further 40-50% from last year's level. A sustainable club living within its means and staying at Tynecastle would be my strategy at this point. Not tilting at SPL championship windmills.

Nookie Bear

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing method. All I'm saying is that to think you can't take on the OF is defeatist. Anything can be achieved. It only requires the will of the capable. You are making interpretations, what I'm saying is if Vlad thinks he is so ******* almighty then given the current predicament of the OF we should be making hay.

Celtic were p&*h against Aberdeen today. Rangers "should" be rubbish too,

And they won.

We were p&*h, and lost.

That's the difference and that's what spending ?2m on every position gets you.

You're joking aren't you? The man has ploughed in a huge amount of cash. Now the OF might pay possibly 3 times more in wage but given the diddy inbred complacent nature of our league you would think that that would be enough to break it? If emphasis was placed in the correct places?

No, I'm not joking.

Yes he has spent money but we're exactly where we were before he came?

Think back to Mercer/MacDonald or Robinson/Jeffries and tell me how much better off are we under vlads (very serious money)?

The Comedian

We wasted millions Imo on Shite like Nade. Even Clum is on 5k a week for 5 years.

Until we match the Of wage structure (25k) a week for your top players, and are willing to pay 2,3,4 million transfer fees we'll never win the league. Even then we will only blow that on garbage.

Carl Spackler

Just look at Rangers' forwards. Jelavic, Naismith and Lafferty - all of whom would walk into the Hearts side. Then they have the likes of Healy who has 35 international goals for Northern Ireland!

I think it would be sensible to cut the wage bill by a further 40-50% from last year's level. A sustainable club living within its means and staying at Tynecastle would be my strategy at this point. Not tilting at SPL championship windmills.

Without a doubt the team should live within its means. That's without question. Long term.

The point is Vlad has taken on notions of winning the league. Let's not f&%k about, that's the message. He's emptied JJ who would probably have sailed third and maybe poked a challenge at the OF, so if he wants to win in the short term he needs to plough the cash in without return.

Unless Sir Alex fancies the job of course.

Carl Spackler

No, I'm not joking.

Yes he has spent money but we're exactly where we were before he came?

Think back to Mercer/MacDonald or Robinson/Jeffries and tell me how much better off are we under vlads (very serious money)?

I'm not arguing with you!

Without a doubt the team should live within its means. That's without question. Long term.

The point is Vlad has taken on notions of winning the league. Let's not f&%k about, that's the message. He's emptied JJ who would probably have sailed third and maybe poked a challenge at the OF, so if he wants to win in the short term he needs to plough the cash in without return.

I don't think that there is a serious attempt to challenge for the league :lol:

Carl Spackler

I don't think that there is a serious attempt to challenge for the league :lol:

I say to Vlad You shouldn't say things you don't mean!

I still don't see why not personally. Rangers and Celtic are s&%te! Tell me an EPL team who would be worried by them?

Drylaw Hearts

I say to Vlad You shouldn't say things you don't mean!

I still don't see why not personally. Rangers and Celtic are s&%te! Tell me an EPL team who would be worried by them?

You are having a shocker.

He does need to plough the cash in but I think a 4-6 million pound investment at this point would not be too much of a risk. Rangers and Celtic are not good sides and are there for the taking IMO. The money the club would make from Europe next season would cover the outlay.

Vlad wanting to win the league isn't the intriguing thing in all this. What he is prepared to do to get it is. 24 days till the window closes then we'll be able to tell.

No point wasting money on transfer fees of that nature, what you get for 1m, 2m and even 3m can be got for free in terms of equivalent bosman talent. If he had the funds, wages are where the funds would need to be deployed, and that includes wages for a manager with proven track record.

Carl Spackler

You are having a shocker.

Back in with the one liners I see Drylaw. You are so insightful.

I'm having a go at Vlad. Not motive but method. Please tell me in what way I'm having a "shocker".

Archived