So Vlad wants the title?

BigMDV

Well he's not goin to get it with former Killie, Motherwell or ICT players.

He needs to spend I dont mean huge amounts (in football terms at least) just

start matching the OF in wages, and get 5 or 6 players with a ?3m+ price tag.

I agree we cant match the spending power needed, thats why 'best of the rest'

is our target, If you want the title Vlad - you are going to have to dig deep.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that won't screw us financially in any way shape or form will it!

There are a few likely ways to the sort of success mentioned.

1) The Jack Walker - buy a team of established first team stars. More difficult these days with the transfer fees/wages required by those who would be needed. Perhaps just one player - Kello - is good enough for this strategy. No sign that VR can afford this strategy.

2) The Jock Stein/Alex Ferguson - build a side over a number of years where the continuity helps to build the team spirit and knowledge of the other players in the side. Complete rejection of the constant changes of management/players and upheaval within the squad we have seen under the VR era.

3) The Elliot Ness - sort out the wicked circumstances which have meant Hearts have not won the title under VR. Not much evidence of these wicked circumstances of course which will make this strategy difficult.

4) The Bob Hope - hope that we can win the title with a collection of SPL journeymen/youngsters with potential/Bosmans from favoured agents. Low percentage strategy.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Anybody who actually thinks that we will have a sniff of being top of the league at some point this season never mind at the end of the campaign knows nothing about football , Romanov spending to compete with the old-firm is not going to happen he is all mouth no action

Can you imagine a team with Zalukas in it winning anything ?

The Real Maroonblood

There are a few likely ways to the sort of success mentioned.

1) The Jack Walker - buy a team of established first team stars. More difficult these days with the transfer fees/wages required by those who would be needed. Perhaps just one player - Kello - is good enough for this strategy. No sign that VR can afford this strategy.

2) The Jock Stein/Alex Ferguson - build a side over a number of years where the continuity helps to build the team spirit and knowledge of the other players in the side. Complete rejection of the constant changes of management/players and upheaval within the squad we have seen under the VR era.

3) The Elliot Ness - sort out the wicked circumstances which have meant Hearts have not won the title under VR. Not much evidence of these wicked circumstances of course which will make this strategy difficult.

4) The Bob Hope - hope that we can win the title with a collection of SPL journeymen/youngsters with potential/Bosmans from favoured agents. Low percentage strategy.

Romanov would definately go for option 4.

Problem with Vlad is he knows he can't win the title with the players we've got. Vlad,... if you want the title then spend a few million, you'd make the money back again over the next couple of years or so in the Champions League. So the message is simple, spend some proper money on quality or get another rich bloke to put some decent cash into the club, that or shut yer hole and stop talking bollox!

Romanov would definately go for option 4.

Yep,and when it fails blame the media,SFA,SPL,agents,Gary MacKay,tinternet,any random body of people.

Loads on here insist we just need belief.

:vrface:

Nothing to do with spending ?25million on a team. :cornette:

We don't necessarily need to match OF wages. We could have a great group of young hungry players who come here to play football as opposed to money wherever they are from. The first place to start before bringing in new players is getting the current ones to develop a self belief that we shouldn't settle for 3rd and that we can make the difference.

The Real Maroonblood

Problem with Vlad is he knows he can't win the title with the players we've got. Vlad,... if you want the title then spend a few million, you'd make the money back again over the next couple of years or so in the Champions League. So the message is simple, spend some proper money on quality or get another rich bloke to put some decent cash into the club, that or shut yer hole and stop talking bollox!

It's been the same old story since he screwed us by sacking Burley.

He will never change.

He talks a good game.

It's been the same old story since he screwed us by sacking Burley.

I genuinely burst out laughing at this one.

IT WAS 6 ****ING YEARS AGO!!!!!!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Pants Shaton

Well that won't screw us financially in any way shape or form will it!

I think the point he's making is that we would need to spend that to even get close - we can't - so we won't.

For Romanov to sack Jefferies with the aim of pushing for the title is lunacy. We spend far in excess of the 9 teams which finished below us in the league last year but substantially less than the two that finished above us. 3rd is the best we can achieve - Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho wouldn't be able to win the league with these players.

Carl Spackler

Vlad can pull the ******* finger out or shut the **** up. Had enough.

If you want to mouth off we want to be number one then make sure we can do it. If not shut yer hole.

I'm prepared to deal with Jim's sacking if you think you can take it to a higher plane. I'm not sure I see it though.

This is the last throw Vlad, do as you please.

The Real Maroonblood

Yes and the clown has still not got it right so that speaks volumes.

:thumbsup:

Empty out 30 journeymen and replace the with 15 quality players

Okay,lets say a quality player costs around ?2.5m and upwards,thats 15 x ?2.5m minimum,do you want me to do the maths for you?

Carl Spackler

Okay,lets say a quality player costs around ?2.5m and upwards,thats 15 x ?2.5m minimum,do you want me to do the maths for you?

?45m is absolute pish in the pond compared to the EPL. In that respect Vlad is spot on, Scottish Football is a joke.

So what is your point,he's had SIXyears to do better,has he?

?45m is absolute pish in the pond compared to the EPL. In that respect Vlad is spot on, Scottish Football is a joke.

Okay,apart form the big leagues in Europe,what other leagues in comparison to the SPL could afford to splash out ?45m on a team?

And if Vlad thinks that Scottish is such a joke,why is he here,why has he tried and failed to buy three other clubs before he bought us,does that not seem strange to you?

SectionDJambo

Not for a minute suggesting we can challenge for the Championship, but, in Scotland, all that would be needed is a group of ambitious, motivated players in their early 20's who can pass a ball to each other. The Uglies recent record in Europe is no accident. They are not very good in the wider scale, just a couple of big fish in a small pond.

Look at Borussia Dortmund. Nowhere near the buying or wage power of Bayern, but romped to the title last year. Lost their best player because they couldn't match the wages he could get from Real Madrid, so they used the transfer fee, and replaced him with other guys who were making the step up. They almost bankrupted themselves a while back chasing big name players and had to make the change.

It can be done with the proper system and thinking in place. Sadly, not many clubs have the brains on board to do it. Certainly not us at the minute, but maybe Sergio can make a start.

Carl Spackler

Okay,apart form the big leagues in Europe,what other leagues in comparison to the SPL could afford to splash out ?45m on a team?

And if Vlad thinks that Scottish is such a joke,why is he here,why has he tried and failed to buy three other clubs before he bought us,does that not seem strange to you?

The "league" can't afford it. It needs to be broken.

kennyblack'sshot

We don't necessarily need to match OF wages. We could have a great group of young hungry players who come here to play football as opposed to money wherever they are from. The first place to start before bringing in new players is getting the current ones to develop a self belief that we shouldn't settle for 3rd and that we can make the difference.

If it was that easy every club would be doing it. Vlad needs to spend twice as much on wages as he is now and more Hearts fans need to go to games for us, or anyone, to get nearer to the Old Firm.

The reason Vlad gets so much stick in the media is everyone knows it and while having ambition is a good thing, sooner or later surely even Vlad will also realise this and we will settle down as a club focusing on bringing through youth, playing decent football and winning the occassional cup with some third places and Europe trips thrown in - kind of like last season really without the decent football or cup.

Carl Spackler

If it was that easy every club would be doing it. Vlad needs to spend twice as much on wages as he is now and more Hearts fans need to go to games for us, or anyone, to get nearer to the Old Firm.

The reason Vlad gets so much stick in the media is everyone knows it and while having ambition is a good thing, sooner or later surely even Vlad will also realise this and we will settle down as a club focusing on bringing through youth, playing decent football and winning the occassional cup with some third places and Europe trips thrown in - kind of like last season really without the decent football or cup.

Defeatist.

Carl Spackler

We around 10 players short of a title winning side.

Behave. It's only a couple of class players. The league is that shit.

kennyblack'sshot

Defeatist.

Realist after watching Hearts and Scottish football for 30 years. Back in the Ferguson and McLean days putting in a challenge was realistic as TV money hadn't entered the game yet. Now it's impossible. The moment the OF are threatened they will go out and buy big. We scraped 2nd in 2006 partly through the element of surprise early in the season - no-one thought a challenge could be maintained 0 and through the high quality of player we brought in. We haven't brought that kind of quality to the club since and unless we do it will take a specific set of circumstances - weak OF (both of them), stronger challenges from the rest of the SPL, an injury and suspension free season from us, a long unbeaten run of form by us, and Vlad not changing manager twice a season. I'm not holding my breath - are you?

I thought we had a good chance under JJ this year as Rangers are honking and Celtic not a lot better. Still think we should do well with Sergio and the players we have, but Vlad need to spend 2 or 3 mill on players at least to show us he's serious. It can't be done by chopping and changing managers and hoping one will get it right.

The Real Maroonblood

Yep,and when it fails blame the media,SFA,SPL,agents,Gary MacKay,tinternet,any random body of people.

:lol::lol:

Carl Spackler

Realist after watching Hearts and Scottish football for 30 years. Back in the Ferguson and McLean days putting in a challenge was realistic as TV money hadn't entered the game yet. Now it's impossible. The moment the OF are threatened they will go out and buy big. We scraped 2nd in 2006 partly through the element of surprise early in the season - no-one thought a challenge could be maintained 0 and through the high quality of player we brought in. We haven't brought that kind of quality to the club since and unless we do it will take a specific set of circumstances - weak OF (both of them), stronger challenges from the rest of the SPL, an injury and suspension free season from us, a long unbeaten run of form by us, and Vlad not changing manager twice a season. I'm not holding my breath - are you?

I thought we had a good chance under JJ this year as Rangers are honking and Celtic not a lot better. Still think we should do well with Sergio and the players we have, but Vlad need to spend 2 or 3 mill on players at least to show us he's serious. It can't be done by chopping and changing managers and hoping one will get it right.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing method. All I'm saying is that to think you can't take on the OF is defeatist. Anything can be achieved. It only requires the will of the capable. You are making interpretations, what I'm saying is if Vlad thinks he is so ******* almighty then given the current predicament of the OF we should be making hay.

Celtic were p&*h against Aberdeen today. Rangers "should" be rubbish too,

Birregrande

Vlad can pull the ******* finger out or shut the **** up. Had enough.

If you want to mouth off we want to be number one then make sure we can do it. If not shut yer hole.

I'm prepared to deal with Jim's sacking if you think you can take it to a higher plane. I'm not sure I see it though.

This is the last throw Vlad, do as you please.

kennyblack'sshot

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing method. All I'm saying is that to think you can't take on the OF is defeatist. Anything can be achieved. It only requires the will of the capable. You are making interpretations, what I'm saying is if Vlad thinks he is so ******* almighty then given the current predicament of the OF we should be making hay.

Celtic were p&*h against Aberdeen today. Rangers "should" be rubbish too,

I say again if it was that easy every club would be doing it. I agree that the reason we challenged in 2005/06 is that we filled the team with winners, including Euro Champs and CL winners, and that rubbed off. Vlad hit on the right model at the start of that season and he needs to spend that much again if he's serious about challenging again and not bring in duds like Nade and co. We need quality and a winning mentality to do anything - it can happen when you get a run of form and confidence is high, eg us in 85/86 but even then we were luck as we had virtually no injuries all season and were able to field the same side every week. When we did start missing important players at the end of that season it all came to a shuddering halt.

It's all to do with wages, spending on transfer fees or compensation fees as i like to call them are just p****** in the wind at this level. There are hundreds of bosmans knocking around every year, some of which aren't all too bad. Reduce the squad and work off a threadbare 18-20 players, some of which can play various positions when called upon to do so. Hearts should never pay a transfer fee again, players sign for wages (and some times the chances of playing in europe) not transfer fees

Alot.

And do we have "alot" or can we afford "alot"?

It's pie in the sky to say we can compete with the either of the OF year in year out,would you think that John Yorkston was being a bit of a ninny if he came out and said "we want 3rd place,it's only the ......enter any random organisation....that is stopping us",because financially Dunfermline are closer to us than we are to either der hun or ra tims.

Remember how people laughed on this here website at he hubs when they said that they could beat us to 3rd and they,my friend,are even closer to us financially than DAFC.

Drylaw Hearts

Try your hardest.

We are a lot more than 2 'class' players short of an SPL winning team.

There.

We are a lot more than 2 'class' players short of an SPL winning team.

There.

If we had a fully fit squad then I reckon 2 would be enough. Good cover is what we need too.

kennyblack'sshot

Behave. It's only a couple of class players. The league is that shit.

Define a "class player" and provide two examples if you think we need a couple. Then have a go at attaching a transfer/wage value to them. In order to challenge the players need to be at least as good as the OFs. In 2005/06 we had Gordon, Fyssis, Jankaskis, Skacel, Bednar, Hartley and Webster who all would have walked into the OF sides that year. We payed massive wages and it showed.

This year to challenge we'd need at least any two from: a striker as good as Jelavic (?4m), a left back as good as Celtic's boy (priced at ?7m now is he?), a goalie as good as MacGregor (?4m) and a midfielder as good as Davis (?4m) or Kayak (priced at ?10m or something). Unless we got lucky and snapped up a Kayak for 2m, we'd need to spend at least ?8m in transfers and upwards of ?25,000/w each player to get just those two class players.

Drylaw Hearts

If we had a fully fit squad then I reckon 2 would be enough. Good cover is what we need too.

Nah.

Carl Spackler

And do we have "alot" or can we afford "alot"?

It's pie in the sky to say we can compete with the either of the OF year in year out,would you think that John Yorkston was being a bit of a ninny if he came out and said "we want 3rd place,it's only the ......enter any random organisation....that is stopping us",because financially Dunfermline are closer to us than we are to either der hun or ra tims.

Remember how people laughed on this here website at he hubs when they said that they could beat us to 3rd and they,my friend,are even closer to us financially than DAFC.

No. "WE" can't afford "alot". Since when did Hearts and Vlad become synonymous?

You're changing the argument. If Vlad wants success in an instant then he needs to spend. If he wants to win over the duration then fair doos. Keep a manager in place.

As it is just now a man of true wealth should be able to walk the SPL for fun. Of the course the truth is the EPL is chock full of sheisters, why shouldn't we have one in the SPL ripping the p&*h?

kennyblack'sshot

The point is that "class players" have lots of options. Wy would they take reduced wages and less chance of silverware to play at Hearts?

Either Vlad pumps millions into the team over a few years or he settles down and accepts 3rd as our minimum target but with the aim of doing better if we get lucky with youth players, good signings and a good manager - and some stability wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, I think it's time for him to sell up to one of his Russian pals or someone and give someone else a shot of the ball.

BrellierBoy

It's all to do with wages, spending on transfer fees or compensation fees as i like to call them are just p****** in the wind at this level. There are hundreds of bosmans knocking around every year, some of which aren't all too bad. Reduce the squad and work off a threadbare 18-20 players, some of which can play various positions when called upon to do so. Hearts should never pay a transfer fee again, players sign for wages (and some times the chances of playing in europe) not transfer fees

Bang on! We have not been astute enough in the recruitment of players and it is blatantly obvious that teams like Motherwell have better quality players who can perform on a consistent basis. They are also not afraid to play young players with an appetite and ability to pass the ball.

Nah.

And why not? All we desperately need is a quality and reliable centre back and a good dynamic central midfielder. We're well equipped in the full back positions and on the wings. As for up front KK is a great talisman in full form and wait til we get the best out of Sutton.

Carl Spackler

Bruno Aguair was class. Let him go.

Ibrahim Tall was class. Let him go. (or he wanted to go)

Jankauskas was class. Turned out to be a ******.

Bednar was class. Money, money money (I think?)

Rudi Skacel is class...he is back!

Of course if it wasn't for Vlad they'd never had been her in the first place but that's another matter!

We around 10 players short of a title winning side.

Obviously, it's all relative and linked to the quality of the player, but I'd suggest half of that would do it. Obviously, the caveat is that they are all excellent first team players.

Drylaw Hearts

And why not? All we desperately need is a quality and reliable centre back and a good dynamic central midfielder. We're well equipped in the full back positions and on the wings. As for up front KK is a great talisman in full form and wait til we get the best out of Sutton.

Ludicrous.

Archived