Who should be Hearts Captain?

dean13

My first post here.

Every Saturday when at Tynecastle, I ask myself why Berra is captain. The only time I see him trying to encourage the team...is when we're one nil down.

I don't really know who else we can pick as captain, although a signing of someone with SPL experience is vital.

Anyone have names who would do a captain's job??

Obviously the dominant personalities have had to be 'compromise agreemented' out of the dressing room. So we have no one of Pressley's stature in there. No dominating leader.

So from the current squad it should be someone who gives his full effort in every game, and should be expected to play in every game. Banks, Neilson, Berra, Driver (Jonsson would make the first point but not the second) would be the only candidates from the squad. So Berra has been fine in that regard.

In the summer I would like to see us sign a dominating centre half captain to play beside Berra.

Nobody in the team right now. We need an experienced centre half to take that job. Berra is starting to look a wee bit better but we still need a lot more.

With only 6 games left he should keep the armband for the rest of the season.

My first post here.

Every Saturday when at Tynecastle, I ask myself why Berra is captain. The only time I see him trying to encourage the team...is when we're one nil down.

I don't really know who else we can pick as captain, although a signing of someone with SPL experience is vital.

Won't be popular choice... but for me, I'd have Mikey Stewart as captain. His form has dipped, we all know, but next season under a new manager and with better direction and possibly players I think we'll do a lot better; and Stewart has (for my money) the obvious passion and character to lead on the pitch.

He is vocal, strong minded and gives his all. The one thing he has to harness is his temper and I feel as captain, the added responsibility would do him the power of good. I think half his frustration on the pitch comes from other players not pulling their weight.

Also he is a Jambo and that should also come into account when picking the captain I feel.

Anyway out of the current crop... that's my choice!;)

Ray Winstone

Berra has started to settle into the role after a dip in form when he was initially given the armband.

At times like these I think its the experienced pros like Banksy McCann and Neilson:eek: will be helping Berra along.

Ray Winstone
Won't be popular choice... but for me, I'd have Mikey Stewart as captain. His form has dipped, we all know, but next season under a new manager and with better direction and possibly players I think we'll do a lot better; and Stewart has (for my money) the obvious passion and character to lead on the pitch.

He is vocal, strong minded and gives his all. The one thing he has to harness is his temper and I feel as captain, the added responsibility would do him the power of good. I think half his frustration on the pitch comes from other players not pulling their weight.

Also he is a Jambo and that should also come into account when picking the captain I feel.

If by "his form has dipped" you mean he has not had a decent game since about the 7th or 8th game of the season then yes.

I prefer to call it just being useless.

Tynecastle Valhalla

To be honest, Berra was the obvious choice when he was appointed. Now I am not sure. If it was stripped it would not help his confidence!

I think he will remain as captain.

Other choices would be banks, stewart (if he plays!) or Ruben?

IMO there should be a new captain brought in to the team next year someone with a little bit of ooomph

Sadly, I don't think there are any realistic alternatives to Berra.

In our current squad, Berra is the only suitable option

Stewart is too hot-headed (and wouldn't even get a game in first choice midfield)

Banks is ok, but he already has coaching role to deal with, so also being captain would be too much responsibility. Keepers should also be able to shout encouragement and advice without the armband, as they see the whole pitch.

Berra has looked much better recently, and is starting to grow as a captain. Stripping him now would only knock him backwards

Pinilla.

If the question was - who is the biggest waste of space to ever steal a wage from this club.

Then yes I would agree with you.

coppercrutch

If he plays in most of our games and if he is here all next year then Kingston. The other players really seem to respect him.

As said above if MS got his act together then he is def captain material. I just don't think he will. :(

Ryan Gosling
If the question was - who is the biggest waste of space to ever steal a wage from this club.

Then yes I would agree with you.

I'd say Beslija.

But the question was captain.

So Pinilla.

rudi must stay
I'd say Beslija.

But the question was captain.

So Pinilla.

u'd say Beslija as captain and Pinilla. Hold on there we can only have one captain

Ryan Gosling
u'd say Beslija as captain and Pinilla. Hold on there we can only have one captain

Read it again...

rudi must stay
Read it again...

ah right u think Beslija is the biggest waste of time and Pinilla should be captain. Seriously though, Pinilla? would he not get injured getting the armband

Ryan Gosling
ah right u think Beslija is the biggest waste of time and Pinilla should be captain. Seriously though, Pinilla? would he not get injured getting the armband

Nope it would have healing properties.

He'd be the man. How could you not respect a man who could give your burd 'the feeling' by looking at her?

Greedy_Jambo

Micheal stewart should of been made captain months ago when he was owning midfield. Since then he's been given unwarrented stick from fans and i don't blame him for his dip in form. Talent wise.. he's 2nd only to larry kingston. Passion wise, he's top of the list. or atleast he was untill his own supporters started giving him abuse.

rudi must stay
Nope it would have healing properties.

He'd be the man. How could you not respect a man who could give your burd 'the feeling' by looking at her?

cos maybe they want to keep their girlfriends rather than him getting off with them, the Chile captain being an example..

Regular John

I think Kingston is our best potential captain as he seems to be the best communicator in the team.

I guess the probability he'll be gone in the summer would make it pointless though.

Sadly, I don't think there are any realistic alternatives to Berra.

In different circumstances I think we'd all prefer a more experienced captain. Only other candidates just now are Banks or Neilson.

Previous calls for Stewart, Kingston or Palazuelos defy any real logic.

Off the boil and hot headed;

Most talented player but always injured plus liable to switching off;

Nice, neat and tidy but prone to some embarrassing theatrics in the tackle.

Makes the OPs thread a tad strange because surely Berra at this moment is the only choice.

Personally I don't think he's doing that bad a job, but due to the deficiencies throughout the team he has to concentrate on his own game, rather than being, let's say 'the leader of men'.

The most effective captain in Scotland just now is easily Ferguson at Rangers. Most likely to near single handedly, again, win Rangers their 3rd title in 6 years. But then again, is his style of captaincy acceptable any more? Continually cursing, swearing,being in the face of the referees; always has his hands in the faces of opposition players? Similarly the same could be said for Lennon previously; Terry at Chelsea (sorry Therapist); Gerrard, for his shocking two footed lunges and in previous lives, Keane at Man U or Shearer at Newcastle. (Irrespective of what anyone thinks of Lennon, Shearer did deliberately stamp on his head and should have been banned for a long time.)

When Berra put his (sincere) arm round Swanson on Saturday, he showed a maturity that very few other captains in the game possess. If Fifa/Uefa/EPL/SPL are serious about cleaning up the game, there is a young man at Tynecastle who might just be an example to the louts out there.

Dean Winchester
Pressley SHOULD still be at Hearts and wearing the armband.

But out of the current crop ... Banksy

No, not a goalkeeper. Was bad enough with Gordon

Take saturday for example. Berras poor, he should've been right in there dealing with the situation and slapping the bear around the head and telling him to get on with it instead of the embarassment we had to watch. A goalkeeper is even poorer, there seperated from the team for the majority of the game.

Captain should be either a defender or midfielder in my personal opinion and from our current crop I'd have to say the best suited would be Steward, hes got the passion as everyone can plainly see, or Ruben.

rudi must stay
No, not a goalkeeper. Was bad enough with Gordon

Take saturday for example. Berras poor, he should've been right in there dealing with the situation and slapping the bear around the head and telling him to get on with it instead of the embarassment we had to watch. A goalkeeper is even poorer, there seperated from the team for the majority of the game.

Captain should be either a defender or midfielder in my personal opinion and from our current crop I'd have to say the best suited would be Steward, hes got the passion as everyone can plainly see, or Ruben.

agree with that usually. Banks strikes me as having a good personality though, a bit of charisma. It can work as shown by Canizares at Valencia. so he would actually by my choice as captain as well

In the summer I would like to see us sign a dominating centre half captain to play beside Berra.

Agreed, until then I am quite happy with Berra as captain.

Ryan Gosling
Agreed, until then I am quite happy with Berra as captain.

Ignas Dedura could be captain.

Charlie-Brown

Of the current players - Steve Banks is the most obvious captain like personality however he is also goalkeeping coach and a goalie and outfield players can have more influence during play - Larry Kingston has the ability to lead by example & encourage his team-mates - Michael Stewart has enough passion (sometimes too much so) and is vocal enough - maybe the extra responsibility would do him good & curb some of his ultimately destructive traits ?

Which new signing could be a Hearts captain? Kevin McKenna?

If they get kept on then youngsters Eddie Mearns & Craig Sives (if he can get fit again) both bleed maroon & white and have the right attitude & aggression.

Ryan Gosling
Of the current players - Steve Banks is the most obvious captain like personality however he is also goalkeeping coach and a goalie and outfield players can have more influence during play - Larry Kingston has the ability to lead by example & encourage his team-mates - Michael Stewart has enough passion (sometimes too much so) and is vocal enough - maybe the extra responsibility would do him good & curb some of his ultimately destructive traits ?

Which new signing could be a Hearts captain? Kevin McKenna?

If they get kept on then youngsters Eddie Mearns & Craig Sives (if he can get fit again) both bleed maroon & white and have the right attitude & aggression.

Ignas Dedura.

Ignas Dedura could be captain.

Never heard of him. Is he the new Mendy/Hleb?

If he does come, from wherever he is, can he speak English? IMO, a non English speaking player cannot come straight into a dressing room and lead them.

Unless there is a funny here and I am missing it. :laugh:

***EDIT***

Just googled him, sadly he appears to be another no name Kaunas player that had fleeting career moves to Russia.

Not only do I not want him as captain, I don't really want him here either.

letsmakesomenoise

Robbie for me.

I accept a lot think he shouldnt be on the park, but as he IS, he's the man

:)

john brownlee

It should be robbie

defender

longest player at the club

rarely misses a game

liked and respected by the coach

thats the reasons why, but I bet there are resons why not, I wont list them I'll leave that up to you

:5643::5643::5643::5643:

Ryan Gosling
Never heard of him. Is he the new Mendy/Hleb?

If he does come, from wherever he is, can he speak English? IMO, a non English speaking player cannot come straight into a dressing room and lead them.

Unless there is a funny here and I am missing it. :laugh:

***EDIT***

Just googled him, sadly he appears to be another no name Kaunas player that had fleeting career moves to Russia.

Not only do I not want him as captain, I don't really want him here either.

He's not a no-name Kaunas player, he's like Stankevicius or Danilevicius - he left Lithuania to play in a better league!

And he's awesome.

:D

He's not a no-name Kaunas player, he's like Stankevicius or Danilevicius - he left Lithuania to play in a better league!

And he's awesome.

:D

17 Games at Zalgris before returning to Kaunas, 10 games for Torpedo Moscow, 79 for Skonto Riga then 32 games for Spartak Moscow in four years?

Yeah, he is just like Stankevicius right enough.

Spot on. I would have Stewart as Captain too.

Ryan Gosling
17 Games at Zalgris before returning to Kaunas, 10 games for Torpedo Moscow, 79 for Skonto Riga then 32 games for Spartak Moscow in four years?

Yeah, he is just like Stankevicius right enough.

Glad to see you've come around.

DEDURA!

rudi must stay
Glad to see you've come around.

DEDURA!

you remind me of those guranga monks in town :P

Archived