Vista

K1874M

Microsoft really do take the pash....

Got a new laptop with vista, been having probs with pages not loading properly on IE (I usually use FF but hadnt got round to it yet).... done a quick search and found that some versions of IE, 7 for example dont work with some versions of Vista.... mental.

Sorry rant over..... ****ing hate Microsoft but what can you do but get shagged by them.

Commander Harris

vista sucks baws. still.

you'd think by now they'd have ironed everything out, but they haven't.

Windows 95 OSR2 has not been surpassed by microsoft, still their bet OS yet. :)

I got vista about 3 weeks ago and my pet peev is that when you put the laptop on standby ( close the top or choose it through start) MSN crashes and wont work until you restart the PC.

The wireless configurator is fairly pish too

It does have its good points though and you do learn to live with it

wait until you get the blue screen of death,

my friend had to phone microsoft because of it

Commander Harris
Get smart get a Mac! :)

is paying an extra ?300 for a badge smart? ;)

Sheriff Fatman
vista sucks baws. still.

you'd think by now they'd have ironed everything out, but they haven't.

Windows 95 OSR2 has not been surpassed by microsoft, still their bet OS yet. :)

Windows 98 was far superior.

Get smart get a Mac!

There was an ethical hackers conference a while back. They conducted an experiment to see how long it took to hack Mac Leopard and Vista. After each day they slightly relaxed rules. Neither were hacked on the first day. On the second day Mac Leopard took 5 minutes to be hacked. It took until the third day to hack Vista. The hack on Vista was caused by a fault in Adobe Flash, a third party application. The hack on Leopard was because of a fault in Safari, Mac's own application.

I'm a software developer.

My bosses insisted we switched from XP to Vista to ensure our new product was compatible. It is a complete turd - the lack of backward compatibility with essential well known packages and tools is a disgrace.

Things that should be straightforward and work like in 2000, NT 4, and XP just don't. Error messages are misleading - e.g. telling you that you don't have permission to do something like rename a directory when the problem is actually that a program is using files in that directory. The solution is to install Process Explorer, find the programs and kill them (it takes about 10 mins to get everything done).

If I had a choice I would uninstall Vista and put XP back on. I reckon I have lost a month in development time.

I also haven't mentioned that it runs like a dog compared to XP. It must be all the eye-candy and in-built bloatware and DRM that is slowing it down.

Oh - don't install Vista's Service Pack 1, unless you want to take a 50/50 risk of it trashing your operating system and stopping it working. Nice one Microsoft!!!

When I buy my next PC in say a years time it will take something extraordinary for me to allow Vista to be installed on it.

Error messages are misleading - e.g. telling you that you don't have permission to do something like rename a directory when the problem is actually that a program is using files in that directory.

Dude, Windows has done that since 95.

Been using Vista since the start of the year and never had any problems.

Must just be lucky i guess.

Im moving back to XP.... I heard about a file you can remove on vista and it allows your machine to run better, bolloxed if I can remember.

Dude, Windows has done that since 95.

Yes - but programs exist for XP and 2000 to fix it with one mouse click like Unlocker. They don't work on Vista and it is a MASSIVE pain in the arse for a developer that has to swap directories of source/binaries in and out frequently.

XP didn't tell you that you didn't have permission under the same situation anyway, it gave a more informative message saying the resource was in use. That tells you straight away what the problem is.

Yes - but programs exist for XP and 2000 to fix it with one mouse click like Unlocker. They don't work on Vista and it is a MASSIVE pain in the arse for a developer that has to swap directories of source/binaries in and out frequently.

XP didn't tell you that you didn't have permission under the same situation anyway, it gave a more informative message saying the resource was in use. That tells you straight away what the problem is.

If you're copying source files that are in use, there's probably a very good reason for not unlocking them..........:whistling:

If you're copying source files that are in use, there's probably a very good reason for not unlocking them..........:whistling:

I'm talking about directories containing web sites and COM services plus source code.

From time to time I like to wipe my working directory area and get everything fresh from our source code control system.

I'm talking about directories containing web sites and COM services plus source code.

From time to time I like to wipe my working directory area and get everything fresh from our source code control system.

People still use COM services??

I'm just yanking your chain at this point :thumb:

bean counter

If I had a choice I would uninstall Vista and put XP back on. I reckon I have lost a month in development time.

I also haven't mentioned that it runs like a dog compared to XP. It must be all the eye-candy and in-built bloatware and DRM that is slowing it down.

When I buy my next PC in say a years time it will take something extraordinary for me to allow Vista to be installed on it.

My old laptop crashed a year ago (I use it for business ) so I ran out and bought a new one. It had Vista on it, the guy in the shop said it would work with everything I was running, after 2 weeks of hell things not working not connecting to internet etc I took it back to the shop and changed it for one with XP

I've been on Vista for 2 months and nothing's gone wrong yet.

I've been using it for a year and haven't had any problems.

Im moving back to XP.... I heard about a file you can remove on vista and it allows your machine to run better, bolloxed if I can remember.

Kenny have a read HERE then grab the software from HERE.

Not used it myself so can't comment on it but it may be what you are looking for. ;)

Carl Spackler

I hated it at first but after some updates it's been pretty good. I remember 95, it was crap. 98 was good and XP better. XP actually made a 98 machine I had run quicker. I doubt the same could be said of an XP to Vista upgrade.

Hopefully someone on here knows how to sort the prolem I have with vista on my HP530. When I try to load a programme it tells me I am not an administrater. I've tried the 5 different useless solutions from the HP help(sic) desk. the fact that i'm the only person with logins, and am the only administrater makes no difference to Vista. Any clues?

Hopefully someone on here knows how to sort the prolem I have with vista on my HP530. When I try to load a programme it tells me I am not an administrater. I've tried the 5 different useless solutions from the HP help(sic) desk. the fact that i'm the only person with logins, and am the only administrater makes no difference to Vista. Any clues?

You may have tried this already but give it a go if not. Right click the program, file or shortcut and select "Run As Administrator".

Denny Crane

Oh this fills me with confidence. Guess what was delivered to my house yesterday.......

Denny Crane

Hurray! The first glitch. Windows Media Centre and Windows Media Player cannot play any music file without coming stuck before any song ends. Any solutions folks?

How would you go around getting XP BACK ON ?

I[m hoping to do it this weekend so will hgopefully be able to tell you then.

Dazo, cheers mate I'll also have a look at that later.

It really is pash.

Archived