Your Old Boy

JamTarts1874

25 and go to each home game with my auld man. It's great, even though he spouts pish such as "Witeeven is a goal machine, we should give him a chance", "Obua is a brilliant player, people should lay off" and "Yaaaaas I just won ?50 from your tip" * (Austin McCann v Celtic).

Wouldn't change a moment, great laugh.

*I was too young/cheap to follow my own sage advice.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry Palmer

My dad was a Rangers man.....

Still, it was thanks to him that I saw my first ever match at Tynie.

Heart of Midlothian FC v Sellick Scottish Cup 1987.

Robbo with a freekick...

Thank feck my dad looked after the garden of a friend of Sir Wallace.

Other games: Edinburgh Derby (Johnston scored '93?); Rangers v Heart of Midlothian (1-0....2005, it was his birthday and I suffered) and the Scottish Cup Final 2006. :)

JamTarts1874

Just wanted to add, celebrating a Hearts goal with my old man (especially when it's a really important goal - cup games, against hibs or the old firm) seeing his face light up and being there at that moment in time, just me, my dad and the Hearts support - cannot beat it!

Clerry Jambo

Just wanted to add, celebrating a Hearts goal with my old man (especially when it's a really important goal - cup games, against hibs or the old firm) seeing his face light up and being there at that moment in time, just me, my dad and the Hearts support - cannot beat it!

I remember being at the 1996 semi v Aberdeen with the old man, and when we scored the winner the Hearts end make such a noise the old man lost his hearing in one ear.

Crazy!!

Ageist topic. I am the old boy now. My two sons go with me occasionally. Both in their thirties but I still pay.

Er my dad done that for me when I was 36 :woot:

My dad used to take me to all the home games. I'd get ont the 35 bus on Lochend Rd (unfortunatley my Nan lived there and I'd have to go most Saturday mornings) completley decked out in maroon and white. I'd meet him at White Park and in we'd go. Mostly "lifted over" when I was really wee. My dad then lost interest when he realised he was getting angry at his own team and decided he couldn't do that but I kept going with the mates. My dad would come to big games on our supporters bus but he really caught the bug again around 6/7 years ago and we now have season tickets together. Like other posters it's great to meet him for a pint and a chinwag every week. This coming season will be my own son's first as a season ticket holder (he's nearly 4) so there will be three generations sitting side by side cheering on The Gorgie !! "Proud" doesn't quite cover it.

Cheers Dad

Pint or two before the game with my Dad.

Many pints and putting the Jambos to rights afterwards.

I'm 41 and been going to Tynie with the auld goat since 1974.

And it'll be like that 'til one of us drops.

:thumbsup:

:lol: back when I was 14 my on a day out to fester road my dad and his mates smuggled me into this pub close to the rat infested ground. And my dads mates made him buy me a pint :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It was great I so chuffed sitting in this pub full of Jambos with a pint. Oh yeah! Hearts won and Billy got ejected (again) Gordon, Billy etc Next time I'm up I'll get the auld man to get you all to the house.

special agent oso

Loving all these storys, I am taking my wee boy (who is 4) to his first game on Sunday, I know I will most likely have to leave at halftime as he will get bored,but I am hoping he gets the bug and wants to go back :)

He's too frail to get to a game now but he took me to my first match and I took him to his last.

That's the way it should be.

Dalstonjambo

When i was a young kid and we'd come up in the school holidays to watch games i was too young to realise it wasn't normal to travel 900 miles round trip for a game, but my dad knew what he was doing, even if we did miss 2 goals at airdrie away because i needed a wee! Sorry dad!

Much like everyone on here has said from the age of 4 (first game) to now (age 25) ive gone with my dad and when i took the plunge 7 years ago to get a seaon ticket whilst at uni he got one next to me. We still sit next to each other. He's my best mate and i think hmfc and what it means to both of us makes it like that.

Whether its the texts or emails about whats going on everyday, the 9 hours on a train most weeks only talking about hmfc (we always seem to have enough to talk about)

or the jumping up and down hugging most saturdays (be it at the ground or in a london or essex lounge as we cant make it up) i enjoy it most with him.

In 1998 i cried my eyes out because i was happy for him (being 12 i didnt know the pain he'd gone through and really understand the joy it brought him) at seeing

something make him so happy he cried. In 2006 we cried together for the same reason. We both knew what it meant. Thanks dad, you made me a jambo and for that i can never

thank you enough.

As a man that left his week old son in may 1986 2 hours after he'd been brought home from hospital to 'go and watch the hearts win the league' i hope we do it one day, not for me, but for him.

Then i might feel less guilty asking for the thousands of pounds back he's cost me in getting me addicted to a team 450 miles away!

Great thread this. With whats gone on the last few weeks, this thread reminds us all what makes our club the greatest. Thanks for making me a part of it dad

special agent oso

When i was a young kid and we'd come up in the school holidays to watch games i was too young to realise it wasn't normal to travel 900 miles round trip for a game, but my dad knew what he was doing, even if we did miss 2 goals at airdrie away because i needed a wee! Sorry dad!

Much like everyone on here has said from the age of 4 (first game) to now (age 25) ive gone with my dad and when i took the plunge 7 years ago to get a seaon ticket whilst at uni he got one next to me. We still sit next to each other. He's my best mate and i think hmfc and what it means to both of us makes it like that.

Whether its the texts or emails about whats going on everyday, the 9 hours on a train most weeks only talking about hmfc (we always seem to have enough to talk about)

or the jumping up and down hugging most saturdays (be it at the ground or in a london or essex lounge as we cant make it up) i enjoy it most with him.

In 1998 i cried my eyes out because i was happy for him (being 12 i didnt know the pain he'd gone through and really understand the joy it brought him) at seeing

something make him so happy he cried. In 2006 we cried together for the same reason. We both knew what it meant. Thanks dad, you made me a jambo and for that i can never

thank you enough.

As a man that left his week old son in may 1986 2 hours after he'd been brought home from hospital to 'go and watch the hearts win the league' i hope we do it one day, not for me, but for him.

Then i might feel less guilty asking for the thousands of pounds back he's cost me in getting me addicted to a team 450 miles away!

Great thread this. With whats gone on the last few weeks, this thread reminds us all what makes our club the greatest. Thanks for making me a part of it dad

special agent oso

Great story Essexjambo, being a dad and taking my wee boy to his first game is a dream come true for me, hopefully he enjoys it and we can experience together the highs and lows(not to many lows tho) of supporting the greatest team on this planet

What a great thread, I just love it!

I've always went to games with the old man and couldn't imagine going to games with anyone else and have went to most home games from late seventies apart from a spell during Jordan / McLean times where we just drifted out of it a bit .

Remember him taking me to away games like Clydebank etc.... And I'd wait out side the boozer with the dozen other kids must have been about 10 (think that might me frowned on now a days!!)

Guess me and the old man had (have) a turbulent relationship but when we get on the subject of the Hearts everything's magic.(except when he think obua is a footballer!)

Most amazing days of my life are the seeing us win the cup in 1998 with the old man by myside, then again in 2006 with my son and step son in tow. I think we had thought we would never see the Hearts lift a trophy together, never mind three generation.

Other highlights, 86 season was just awesome dad took me home and away, going to Bordeaux with Dad, and Prague with the gang(dad and sons!) o and some pretty eventful new year derbies in the 80's where I think I was looking after him!!

I hope my sons will look back in later years with with as many joys as I have had, and maybe a few more trophies...

But hopefully a good few more years of the three generations going to games together!

Cheers Dad!

My Dad takes me every game - home and away. He is taking me to Europe.

He is the best Dad in the world.

Cal 8. :thumbsup:

can your uncle join you

rossthejambo

My dad took me to my first few Hearts games but it was my mum that got the ST's going after '98 and had only missed 1 season until I moved out and couldn't afford the tickets anymore.

Always remember on the rare occasions that my dad did go though that he was as vocal as anyone else (even though he never seemed too bothered missing out) it was magic.

2 moments stick out tbh.

The moment when Adam scored the 2nd in the cup final I was lifted about 10 feet in the air (felt like that although it was probably nowhere near that high.....I was only 10), although I'm sure he was as nervous as most, he didn't show it. He knew we'd done it at last.

Another was the new year(ish) derby in 05/06 when we were 3-0 up at half time. He text me and said, it's payback time at last....I've honestly never seen anyone so disappointed at beating Hibs 4-1 than my dad was that day when we got back. He's been desperate for some sort of payback for 7-0 for so many years...I really hope he gets it one day.

Not wanting to take anything away from my mum though, seen some amazing matches and am eternally grateful to them both that I've been brought up to support Hearts, was really glad I got to share the 06 cup final with her after so many disappointments (she refuses to watch anything to do with 86 or any losing cup finals).

Sadly my dad was a Hibee in his youth. (he does not give a fiddlers **** about them now however)

Let it be known that the rest of my family (in it's entirity) are all Jambos (except one of my dads brothers who was a Hibee but he's dead)

A Boy Named Crow

My old man is a Celtic fan with a branch of Harry Ramsden's on each shoulder, so my brothers and I attend Tynecastle without him.

I will be 43 years young this year and consider myself very lucky that my old fella still goes to most games with me home and away. Old hoolie that he is!!!!

winston churchill

I like this thread.

My old boy took me to my first ever game in 1976(scottish cup final)and i've been hooked ever since.He was brought up in mcleod street and then moved to leith after he married my old dear.looking back. He stopped going to the games after the 0-7 game(maybe getting lifted for knocking seven bells out of our hobo neighbour that night had something to do with it)He took me in 1976 because it was a cup final.It's now my turn as i have taken both my kids a few times and they are now members of the hearts leith contingent.

Archived