Your Old Boy

JamTarts1874

Pete Seeger

My old man's a sellick man but he doesn't go anymore as it was costing him a fortune in car stereo's.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Perth to Paisley

29 and season ticket with ny dad and brother for 15 years. Sister used to air with us as well. Looking forwards gi ny wee boy and 2 nephews joining us in a couple of years.

From Perth to Paisley

29 and season ticket with ny dad and brother for 15 years. Sister used to air with us as well. Looking forwards gi ny wee boy and 2 nephews joining us in a couple of years..

From Perth to Paisley

That'll teach me to post with my phone on the bus. Hopefully you get the drift!

My Dad was a part-time Hibby too. Tried his hardest to get me to watch anything but Hearts by taking me to Ice Hockey/Meadowbank games in the 80s. Unfortunately for him, all my pals were jambos so he was pushing water up a hill. RIP ya hibbee bas :whistling:

Been going to the games home and away with my dad for 30 years. Most of my mates are rangers fans or Hearts fans who dont go to games. Plus bonus the old man drives to all the games so i can have a few pints before games.

J Cheever Loophole

My Dads a 75 year old Stirling Albion man,who still paints and papers staircases,fire place waws and such (beer tokens)he says.I enjoy going to the odd game with him, but Hearts is Hearts.Both me and my brother are aiming to take him to a Derby game before the final coat of gloss.woot.gif

Cardiac Rucksack

Went with my dad from 87 up until he died in 2009 at 59. Its not really the same these days, but I still go along.

Im 22 and still go with my dad. We used to go occasionally go maybe half the home games and about 5/6 away games a season. He really took to Phil Anderton's patter and that he was going up and down the queue for tickets with jam tarts speaking to the fans when he waited for tickets to the Hibs game, went and bought a season ticket each instead and been in those seats since.

Bought my 6 year old nephew an ST for the past two seasons.

He loves going, and I love going even more now.

I would love to read a thread like this in 30 years time with such tributes to the 'old boys'.

Superb thread OP!

Buffalo Bill

I was thinking of taking my son to his first game next Sunday but it's kick off is kinda over his nap time.

My daughter was 422 days old when she saw her first Hearts match - Robbie Neilson's testimonial.

Old man's a hibee, never been to a match with him, never will.

I can't help if he spawns the best kind of kids, but his taste in football clubs suck.

Other than football, me and my old man are as close as you can be.

I'm in the same boat as you chester. Although I've taken my old man to a few fancy foreign games in recent years (2007 Uefa Cup Final, game in Italy for his birthday etc).

Zico Jnr was at his first Hearts game when he was 3, and has had a ST and been to Tynie Kickers/Skill Skool since he was 4. He's 6 now, has the new away strip and can't wait for the season to start! His wee brother will be following him down that route whether he likes it or not!

J.T.F.Robertson

:clap:

That's warming to the soul so it is.

I was about to say, "that's amazing", but your reaction's way better.

J.T.F.Robertson

I'm in the same boat as you chester. Although I've taken my old man to a few fancy foreign games in recent years (2007 Uefa Cup Final, game in Italy for his birthday etc).

Zico Jnr was at his first Hearts game when he was 3, and has had a ST and been to Tynie Kickers/Skill Skool since he was 4. He's 6 now, has the new away strip and can't wait for the season to start! His wee brother will be following him down that route whether he likes it or not!

And me, although Dad passed away almost two years ago, now. :( He was never a bitter, though and I know, hibbie or not, he wanted us to win it back in '86 and inside, was happy for my brother and I when we won the cup in '98 and 06. In fact, as I'd gone home for the semi in '06, (he did not want us to win that one, btw :rolleyes:) I couldn't also make it back for the final and he came along to the local sellik club here and watched it.

He may have been small in stature, but a bigger man in most respects than I'll ever be.

grumpyjambo

This thread has got me choking, my Dad died last September (aged 91) and he was Hearts daft, first took me about 62'. Due to getting frail he stopped going in 2007. On his death bed he still moaned about Celtic getting all the decisions!!!!

I miss hearing about Barney Battles etc.

Buffalo Bill

First game my Dad took me to!

iirc it was a 1st division decider, St Johnstone were promoted champions, us runners up, a couple of years later they had been relegated two years on the trot and we were challenging for the title!

Indeed. I can remember there was quite a good crowd and Hearts scored through either Bowman or Willie Johnston. I'm thinking it might've been Johnston, but he certainly did a sort of joke dive, which I thought was funny.

And me, although Dad passed away almost two years ago, now. :( He was never a bitter, though and I know, hibbie or not, he wanted us to win it back in '86 and inside, was happy for my brother and I when we won the cup in '98 and 06. In fact, as I'd gone home for the semi in '06, (he did not want us to win that one, btw :rolleyes:) I couldn't also make it back for the final and he came along to the local sellik club here and watched it.

He may have been small in stature, but a bigger man in most respects than I'll ever be.

Sorry to hear that JTF. My old man has a very similar attitude to yours - never bitter and was genuinely happy for me when we won in '98. He can't stand the OF and had seen me come back disappointed from games often enough to know how much it meant.

Although he never lets me forget that he was actually at the game that shall not be mentioned! :(

I didn't know your dad was gone, Jim, my condolences to you and your family. I enjoyed meeting him in the Ship and Anchor.

"We're seeing Hearts and Sellick on Saturday."

"Oh aye. Ah hope ye's get cuffed."

"Fair enough."

J.T.F.Robertson

I didn't know your dad was gone, Jim, my condolences to you and your family. I enjoyed meeting him in the Ship and Anchor.

"We're seeing Hearts and Sellick on Saturday."

"Oh aye. Ah hope ye's get cuffed."

"Fair enough."

Thanks, Gary. Like everything these days, I can't believe it's nearly two years. (13 Sept., 09)

BTW, you just destroyed any last vestige of "credibility", I had on here. :lol:

I'm 35 and go with my Dad, there's no-one I'd rather go to the games with.

My old man was never interested in football or much else, but my uncle took me to games even though he was a Hun and my being from Glasgow and supporting Hearts brought great shame on the family.

Got my first season ticket at 10 joined Glasgow Hearts at 12 and got my brother hooked too. Took him to his first game as a 7 year old, when I was 15 and then bought him his season ticket when he was 12.

Now pushing 33 and had a season ticket every year bar one - birth of daughter.

We still sit together now, although he buys his own ticket these days!!!

But he still owes me for his cup final ticket back in 98!!!!

My Dad's a Celtic man so I've never been to a Hearts game with him since I was young. To his credit he took me to Tynecastle as a boy since that was my local team growing up in West Lothian. He even sat in our end (the old family enclosure)

Heart warming thread.

My old man was a prick, and a hibee.

Had my boy at a few games and I hope he appreciates it as much as some of you lot appreciate your Dad's.

Up until this season I went with my dad every season since I was 6.

I'm not renewing this year. Partially out of principal (I won't explain) and partially to do with the fact that I'm likely to be busy most Saturdays with my freelance work.

It's a shame. I really enjoy sitting with my dad and will miss being at Tynie every second week.

Been going to the football with three of my nephews for a long time now.

Been about 10 years for the older one, 8 for the 2nd and 5 for the youngest.

All Hearts daft :thumbsup:

Used to go to games with my Dad until I was about 12 or 13 by which time he preferred to spend his Saturday afternoons not getting stressed!!

Still go to the odd game with him and go to every European home game with him but these days I just tend to go to games with mates. I'm still trying to convince him to come along to a game at Easter Road with us but he's yet to accept. Which is a shame as it's usually the best atmosphere all season from the Hearts support and a great day out (especially when we beat them!).

Sorry just wanted to mention that my no-season-ticket-out-of-principle has **** all to do with Craig Thomson.

Thought I'd say that before I seemed like a dick.

Still not explaining though.

Guest C00l K1d

I'm 17 and went with my grandad to all the games since i was 2, had to stop last season due to work.

Got to admit i really miss it, and if i get a ST again it's defo going to be beside him!

:thumbsup:

Started off when I was wee going with my dad, then started going with my pals, but then realised in 1985 that I preferred going with my Dad and my brother again. Did that for the next fifteen years (with some seasons more off than on due to a lack of money - and Tommy McLean's team bored the sh*t out of me).

Would happily still go with my Dad now to every match.

(heart-warming that my 1,000th post was something nice about my Dad)

Thanks, Gary. Like everything these days, I can't believe it's nearly two years. (13 Sept., 09)

BTW, you just destroyed any last vestige of "credibility", I had on here. :lol:

He did say it with a smile (but might have still meant it). :)

When I was younger, I never believed old men's tales about time moving more quickly when you get older. I know better now.

J Cheever Loophole

Heart warming thread.

My old man was a prick, and a hibee.

Had my boy at a few games and I hope he appreciates it as much as some of you lot appreciate your Dad's.

I'm sure he does,mate.thumbsup.gif

What a nice, makes you smile thread.

My old man was a mental Rangers fan, and wanted me to be one as well, but took me to Ibrox in 1972 when Hearts were busy beating them 1-0, and i 'liked the other team' ( i was 4)

never went to Tynecastle with him, but him and my granddad took me to an Airdrie Hearts game and stood in their suits like proper old school football boys as the bricks were coming over the wall from the old bus station, making sure we didn't get hurt.

ah the memories.

32 now and been going with my dad since the age of 6 and a S/T holder since 10. Still going with him and always will.

Brings back memories!! Was dragged to a Rangers v Hearts game back in 82/83 maybe? When as a small child of about 4 I was encouraged to "shout for the rangers" while the whole family sat together in the Copland Road. Needless to say I shouted for Hearts and was taken home at half time!!

My first & last game on the Toryglen True Blues supporters bus!!

Jambo Hoggie

Ah the memories, being lifted over the turnstiles by the auld man. He used to have a season ticket with me but he only goes when we're winning (glory hunter) :lol: Still go to games with him but he just picks and chooses them

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

My dad started taking me when I was 4. I would always rather go with him than anybody else.

gogadgetlegz

Always had a season ticket with my oldest brother. My dad used to step in on the very rare occasions when my brother couldn't make it. My dad, although very definitley a Jambo, was from the generation when you would go to see whichever Edinburgh team was at home that Saturday.

I remember one evening home game against Partick when I just didn't fancy going along. My dad died last year and I now regret skipping out on that 90 minutes

York Ninja

I loved taking my dad to the football. He took me to my first game back in 1983. He was a regular in the 40s/50s/60s but stopped going in the 70s then started taking me until I was about 16/17 and started going myself. Later on, I started taking him when I came back to visit my mum and dad for the weekend, picking weekends when the JTs were at home. The last few years of his life he had Parkinson's so couldn't walk that far so he stopped going with me. He still used to listen to Sportsound on the radio and chat about the Hearts to me.

My dad worked at Ferranti's at Dalkeith until 1992 and we used to park the car in the Recreation Car Park in Stewart Terrace.

He died on January 24th this year. I'll never turn my back on the JTs or else he will be spinning in his grave.

Bill Hardie 1931-2011 RIP.

Was thinking about this the other day, I still go to Tynie with my old boy. Usually go to away games with my mates and he occasionally will tag along (hibs away, cup games etc) and I've been going to home games with my dad since I was tiny.

I was wondering though, who else still does this? I'm 24 this year and enjoy meeting up with him for a pint before the game then going along to watch the Famous. A lot of my mates go with each other and I don't actually know many people that still go to games with their dad.

I'm 24 and will continue to go to Tynecastle and watch Hearts with my old man as long as he's able to.

Does anyone else? Or do most folk reckon they're too old to go and watch Hearts with their dad?

Thoughts?

My dad is not able to attend many games due to health but if hes able Id always go with him. First time I was at Tynie was to see him and the atmosphere there always has him full of life in a way that is like hes still on the pitch.

Cant beat it.....

Reverse scenario.

I've been going to the games with my son since he was 4. He's 33 now. We still travel together and go to away games together but our season tickets are for different parts of Tynecastle. I picked my season ticket from the architects plans for the Wheatfield (16 years ago ?)and don't want to change it. He prefers the cheap seats !

I can't see either of us not going and as long as we're both around I reckon we'll keep going together. He even buys a round occasionally now.

It's the quality banter from the guy on your immediate left that keeps you in that seat. :thumbsup:

My old man set me on my way with a home match against East Fife at Tynie - had a look on London Hearts and it must've been the League Cup tie in August 1984. Dad went quite regularly.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s we took to watching Hearts with all the family from a top floor tenement in Gorgie Road, and when our cousin moved on from there Dad stopped going to the footy. Me and my bro were hooked by then.

Dad came to the finals with us in 1996 and saw us lose both. That's why he didn't come to Parkhead in May 1998 and I'll forever be grateful!

His legs became an issue but me and bro took him to the Gretna final in 2006, and it was great to be in his company when a Hearts side lifted the cup.

Was thinking about this the other day, I still go to Tynie with my old boy. Usually go to away games with my mates and he occasionally will tag along (hibs away, cup games etc) and I've been going to home games with my dad since I was tiny.

I was wondering though, who else still does this? I'm 24 this year and enjoy meeting up with him for a pint before the game then going along to watch the Famous. A lot of my mates go with each other and I don't actually know many people that still go to games with their dad.

I'm 24 and will continue to go to Tynecastle and watch Hearts with my old man as long as he's able to.

Does anyone else? Or do most folk reckon they're too old to go and watch Hearts with their dad?

Thoughts?

It's kinda turned round,I now take my old man to the football.

i find this thread sexist :verymad:

I have seen a couple of people with their mum at games like, fair play to the mums taking their sons to the games.

My Dad's first memory of Tynecastle and the JT's was watching Tommy Walker playing in a friendly against Chelsea when he was about 6. His National Service meant he missed the '56 Cup win but was home for the '58 League cup win, he also knew Bobby Parker well and Alfie Conn and had the pleasure of watching the great team of the late 50's.

We stayed in Ratho Station and Dad had a part-time job as a barman in the Roseburn. Great memories of sitting on the wall in the School End watching Cruicky, Donald Ford, Alan Anderson and JJ. Match day routine was a bus to Roseburn, get a bar of Bournville and a comic and sit in my Dad's mate's car while he had a couple of pints in the top shop then walk down Russell Street and McLoed Street and into the game. Best of all was when he arranged with Bobby Parker who was Chairman at the time, to meet me at the door and I got taken in to meet the team before the game and walked out the tunnel. We sat in the stand and the boys beat Morton 6-1. Dad's still the first person I phone after a game but he can't make many games due to health problems.

Here's to Dads who show us the right path

Whenever I'm up north I will go to games with my auld man of course a post march pint. Last season I made a mess of my leave dates (more to do with my works mad annual leace policy than anything else) and arrived when weren't playing. But wont make the same mistake this year alrerady got games in mind. Also itwill be good to see the old boy again.:thumbsup:

My dad died back in 1984.

He turned me into a jambo.

He saw all the cup and league successes during the 50's.

A terrific and proud man who told me so much about those days.

When we had been relegated and had a big crowd in division 1 against Dundee he said.

That was nothing.

They used to get ten thousand just to watch Willie Bauld at training.

He was only kidding, but I would love to have went to matches with him in the 50's.

If only.

Clerry Jambo

Isn't it marvellous listening about the Terrible Trio and how we used to gub the Old Firm in Glasgow............so the old man tells me :rolleyes:

That should be our aim :thumbsup:

Love my dad so much, he's the reason I support Hearts. I owe my late grandfather more though who was a neutral and took my dad to see the Hearts when he fell in love with them as a boy in the 50s. He passed away long before his time but sounded like a really cool bloke. I wish I'd met him in my lifetime.

Dad took me home and away throughout my childhood. We don't sit together anymore but we share the same joy or pain when we return to base. :love:

Archived