95 years ago

jambopompey

jambopompey

On July 1, 1916 at 7:30 A.M. the Allies launched the largest offensive of the war. What would soon be the bloodiest and most tragic single day in British Military history. July 1, 1916 the opening day of Somme, By 12:30 P.M. over 50,000 of Britain's soldiers were dead or wounded..Copy/Paste in remembrance..LEST WE FORGET OUR BRAVE FALLEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BH3UcPXXQ&feature=related

jambos are go!

Unbelievable butchery to send out 50,000 brave men to death or near destruction on a single morning. Unbelieveable stupidy to create the so called 'pals ' battalions grouping people together based on geography or profession or both. Virtually all the young men or tradesman in relatively small communities or occupations were wiped out by the Donkeys of the day. Thankfully the Lions have not been forgetten.

Heartsofgold

We will never forget the ultimate sacrifice those young men made. Communities all over the country will never let us and nor should they.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The Somme battlefields, as I've said before, must be the most thought provoking places on the planet. Only Auschwitz could come close. Incredible to think of the peace and tranquility there now compared to the slaughter of 95 years ago.

Lest we forget.

Punks No Deid

The Somme battlefields, as I've said before, must be the most thought provoking places on the planet. Only Auschwitz could come close. Incredible to think of the peace and tranquility there now compared to the slaughter of 95 years ago.

Lest we forget.

:thumbsup: couldn't put it better myself

Just reading the book for the second time just now. Whilst filling me with pride at the part Heart of Midlothian played in the great war, I must say it fills me with horror what these poor men where subjected too. No words can really sum up the gratitude we owe these men.

Also how brave where the men who fought in the 2nd WW. These men knew the horrors of the 1st WW and yet still went to war.

LEST WE FORGET

Thinking of Great Grandad Wullie Mc Phail ,Gordon Highlander who went over the top 95 years ago today .Hearts man and later Provost of Tranent.Lest We forget.

Fills me with pride, despite the absolute horror of it all.

None of us will ever forget.

Hearts Heritage

1916071601.jpg

You can read contemporary reports here

"The great offensive in the West has made a good beginning ...."

We should not forget but we should also not forget to be angry at the foolish and senseless slaughter. Yes that is using hindsight to look back at what happened. I just thought I'd look at the origins of it.

"Some authors such as Niall Ferguson argue that the belief in a swift war has been greatly exaggerated since the war. He argues that the military planners, especially in Germany, were aware of the potential for a long war, as shown by the Willy-Nicky telegraphic correspondence between the emperors of Russia and Germany. He also argues that most informed people considered a swift war unlikely. However, it was in the belligerent governments' interests to convince their populaces that the war would be brief through skilful use of propaganda, since such a message encouraged men to join the offensive, made the war seem less serious and promoted general high spirits."

Go back to the autumn of 1914 and the intense pressure that was being applied onto those who weren't signing up. Footballers especially were signalled out in the letters pages of the newspapers as particular pariahs. So whilst the signing up of the majority of the first XI in 1914 is a proud moment in the History of the Football Club it is also a sad one in the devastation it would reap amongst all those that signed up and their families and friends.

Craig's lyrics are especially poignant on an anniversary day like today.

Hearts Heritage
This is my story

This is my song

It's a long way from Gorgie

To the fields o' the Somme

Where they played tunes of glory

As we marched along

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

From the Heart of Midlothian

To the Waverly train

The crowds they were singing

An auld Scots refrain

Our sweethearts and darlings

Our bonnie wee bairns

Were waving their flags

And calling our names

Sing Hearts of Glory

Dawn and sunset

Hearts of glory

Lest we forget

Young Scottish soldiers

And soldiers unknown

Who gave hearts of glory

In the trenches of Picardy

The whistles are blown

And it's over the top lads

Through the wire and the bombs

To pain and destruction

Let the piper play

To lead us to hell

To death and dismay

There was never a moment

I was not afraid

But there by my side

Were the gallant McCrae's

Until they fell in the slaughter

When the bayonets were out

And the few of us left

Held the auld Scots Redoubt

Ellis and Currie

Briggs, Boyd, Hazeldean

Wattie and Nisbet

He was only sixteen

Their names I'll remember

At the end of each day

They fought and died

Wi' Geordie McCrae

Who cared for the Kaiser

Or Imperial gains

Love of our country

Duty or fame?

Between the whim of an airman

And four feathers of shame

We fought for the pals

Of a wee fitba team

And when it was over

Just what had we done?

There were no flags of glory

For McCrae and his own

There were no graves for heroes

For our brothers and sons

Who sleep 'neath the flowers

In the fields of the Somme

Some came back as cripples

Some couldnae kick a ball

Some wounded and broken

Most came not at all

But they remain in my memory

Forever young

The pals o' the Sporting Battalion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuQvHYq3txM

hmfc_steve

Standing on Culloden does it for me

Lest we forget.

Cant imagine the horror so many lived through so we can be free today. LEST WE FORGET

Dougie Masterton

Thinking of my grandfather Joseph Masterton, Gordon Highlanders, wounded in action 1st July 1916, but survived and lived into his nineties. One of the lucky few.

To all who died in the horror of war, rest in peace, and with God's good grace all those in conflict zones today may you come home safe and sound.

Which reminds me, when are we getting the War Memorial back in it's rightful place at Haymarket?

Maple Leaf

The loss of life on July 1, 1916 was a calamity beyond words. But it was only the first day in a campaign that was to last until November. By the end of the year, the Germans viewed the Somme as their greatest defeat.

It was a remarkable achievement; the world's strongest military power defeated by Britain's citizen army. The human cost was awful; almost a million casualties on both sides, including the French, who played a major role in the latter stages of the campaign.

It was a remarkable achievement; the world's strongest military power defeated by Britain's citizen army. The human cost was awful; almost a million casualties on both sides, including the French, who played a major role in the latter stages of the campaign.

My memory of sudying it was that the French did better than the British from the start pretty much. With the British managing less than 10 miles advance for all of those young lifes.

The casualty figures are mind boggling to even try to comprehend.

3fingersreid

Which reminds me, when are we getting the War Memorial back in it's rightful place at Haymarket?

my thoughts entirely ......its not just the fact the promise was made to have it back by last November but the fact its a WAR MEMORIAL

Punks No Deid

words can't come close to how humble and in awe I am of these (beyond) brave boys and how proud I am to be associated with them as a lifelong Hearts fan - it is indeed a true honour to be a heart of midlothian supporter! :thumbsup:

!

HeartsBore1874

my grandad was one of the lucky ones. gordon highlander, was captured in the november and spent the next few years as a pow escaping twice and getting caught. while a pow he had his appendix removed with a sharpened spoon. was a member of the old contemptables. died in his eighties. lest we forget.

Archived