Man Utd

Bert Le Clos

Bert Le Clos

David de Gea has had a medical at Man Utd and is expected to complete a ?19million move.

This will bring Utd's spending up to ?52million already after the signings of Phil Jones and Ashley Young. And Ferguson is still expected to add an attacking midfielder to his side before the end of the transfer window, possibly taking summer spending towards ?80million. Can't see any players leaving either, after Scholes retirement Ferguson needs to add, not sell. Possibly move on Wes Brown, John O'Shea or Darren Gibson for a couple of million, but not megabucks.

After 3 Champions League finals in 4 years, these green and gold scarves are beginning to look a bit stupid. I imagine the majority of supporters of other English clubs must feel a bit like Hibs fans, constantly predicting economic meltdown only to see the team in question invest heavily and pull off some outstanding signings.

De Gea could arguably be Man Utd's first choice for the next 20 years if he looks after himself and proves to be the keeper of quality everyone is suggesting he is. Jones and Smalling could similarly be a centre half pairing for pushing 15 years, and add Rafael and Fabio to complete the back 4. With Rooney, Hernandez, Anderson, Young, Nani and Valencia all 25 or younger, if Man U can add a creative attacking midfielder they have a squad capable of dominating English football for years.

Question is, can they or anyone else step up and meet Barcelona? Maroonish-red is the colour!

David de Gea has had a medical at Man Utd and is expected to complete a ?19million move.

This will bring Utd's spending up to ?52million already after the signings of Phil Jones and Ashley Young. And Ferguson is still expected to add an attacking midfielder to his side before the end of the transfer window, possibly taking summer spending towards ?80million. Can't see any players leaving either, after Scholes retirement Ferguson needs to add, not sell. Possibly move on Wes Brown, John O'Shea or Darren Gibson for a couple of million, but not megabucks.

After 3 Champions League finals in 4 years, these green and gold scarves are beginning to look a bit stupid. I imagine the majority of supporters of other English clubs must feel a bit like Hibs fans, constantly predicting economic meltdown only to see the team in question invest heavily and pull off some outstanding signings.

De Gea could arguably be Man Utd's first choice for the next 20 years if he looks after himself and proves to be the keeper of quality everyone is suggesting he is. Jones and Smalling could similarly be a centre half pairing for pushing 15 years, and add Rafael and Fabio to complete the back 4. With Rooney, Hernandez, Anderson, Young, Nani and Valencia all 25 or younger, if Man U can add a creative attacking midfielder they have a squad capable of dominating English football for years.

Question is, can they or anyone else step up and meet Barcelona? Maroonish-red is the colour!

Im shocked that they haven't snapped up Craig Thompson.

Still no new central midfielders coming in though which they really need.Chelsea linked with Thiago(Barca kid)and Mountinho from Porto both players who Utd could do with.

They are exciting and potentially good signings..

However with De Gea, Jones and Smalling.. they could go on to be top players for club and country for the next 10-15 years..

They have the same chance of turning into the next Ben Foster, Wes Brown and John O'Shea..

Nothing can be guaranteed..

I think that Fergie has a limited number of years to win the European Cup again - and he is misjudging the quality of the young players at United - and in the quality of the signings to get them that European Cup.

I think that he needs at least 4 or 5 top drawer superstar level first team players to win the European Cup again before he retires - and so far they haven't signed any.

There's little point splashing massive money in an attempt to win the CL in the next three years as Barcelona appear too strong. Clubs might be wiser investing in the longer term and hoping for the best. Can see a few CL managers being accused of Wenger style caution in coming years.

pinehurst jambo

Jambo4523 - you are exactly right! United need a playmaker in midfield. Sniejder would be an excellent buy if they can pry him away from Inter. Carrick is poor and was found out last season in several games. Sell Berbatov and fork out the cash on the creative spark they need to win the champs league.

Jambo4523 - you are exactly right! United need a playmaker in midfield. Sniejder would be an excellent buy if they can pry him away from Inter. Carrick is poor and was found out last season in several games. Sell Berbatov and fork out the cash on the creative spark they need to win the champs league.

Are you forgetting about Sir Darren of Fletcher?? :teehee:

Ray Winstone

Do they not have Welbeck coming back from loan?

Thought he was a bit of a carthorse when he first started playing but seemed to have a good season on loan at Sunderland.

kingantti1874

Are they short on ballboys?

agreed gibson is pish, manu are still trying to sign the elusive scholes replacement and are after modric, nasri, sjneider and alcantara as well as lucas (not the liverpool one)... they also need another striker IMO..

they still wont challenge barca tho IMO

For me, next season is about securing that magical number 20 :thumbsup: Ferguson is signing players to form another legacy, not to build a team just for next season.

I'd like to see United break the bank to bring in Sneijder, Goetze from Dortmund and maybe the young fella Ganso from Santos. Neymar would be fantastic but I think he's destined for Madrid.

Bert Le Clos

There's little point splashing massive money in an attempt to win the CL in the next three years as Barcelona appear too strong. Clubs might be wiser investing in the longer term and hoping for the best. Can see a few CL managers being accused of Wenger style caution in coming years.

Valid point. Trouble is though, Barcelona are a fairly young squad. Puyol is 33, but only Xavi, Keita and Abidal are over 30 and all of them are only 31.

Xavi will play on until Scholes/Giggs age as he'll simply adapt his game to fit. So depending on how Puyol looks after himself, this Barce team could have another 3 or 4 years together before any new signings need to be made!

Thinking long, long term, this could put off potential younger players at Barce who might feel their chance of breaking into the first team is too far off. I agree we might see more teams investing in 18/19 year old who will make the first team at 21/22 instead of having to wait a couple more years to break into the Barce side. Central midfielders especially if Barce sign Fabregas.

Crazy to think that for a mere ?8million, Ferguson would have had a ready made replacement for Scholes in Van der Vaart. If I was Fergie, I'd be selling Berbatov and bringing in 2 midfielders; one to play off Rooney in a Van der Vaart role, and another deeper lying creative player because Carrick for me doesn't cut it. Man U's midifeld is looking a bit light following Scholes and Hargreaves exit.

For me, next season is about securing that magical number 20 :thumbsup: Ferguson is signing players to form another legacy, not to build a team just for next season.

I'd like to see United break the bank to bring in Sneijder, Goetze from Dortmund and maybe the young fella Ganso from Santos. Neymar would be fantastic but I think he's destined for Madrid.

So they have spent 80 million but you think they need to spend another 100 or so million more.. its never going to happen.. Goetze alone would be over 30 million.. Sneijder i think has decided to stay in Italy.. Ganso is another signing who could excel or flop.. if they have an extra 40/50 million they should buy Pastore from Palermo.. at least then you are buying guaranteed young quality.. they could make him almost as big as Ronaldo became there..

Ray Winstone

What's happening with Berbatov?

I haven't really been keeping up with the moves down south.

So they have spent 80 million but you think they need to spend another 100 or so million more.. its never going to happen.. Goetze alone would be over 30 million.. Sneijder i think has decided to stay in Italy.. Ganso is another signing who could excel or flop.. if they have an extra 40/50 million they should buy Pastore from Palermo.. at least then you are buying guaranteed young quality.. they could make him almost as big as Ronaldo became there..

I'm not saying we should sign them all. It was a one or the other kind of idea.

I realise I did say 'and' in my original post, it was more to suggest maybe Goetze and Ganso OR Sneijder alone.

What's happening with Berbatov?

I haven't really been keeping up with the moves down south.

linked with a ?17million move to valencia,although they are skint if the spanish media is to be believed................

Isn't all the big spending something to do with uefa and club debt affecting qualification to the Champions League as of next season??

They are exciting and potentially good signings..

However with De Gea, Jones and Smalling.. they could go on to be top players for club and country for the next 10-15 years..

They have the same chance of turning into the next Ben Foster, Wes Brown and John O'Shea..

Nothing can be guaranteed..

Fair point (although I do actually quite rate Ben Foster and Wesley & Johnny have won more trophies than City have in their entire history), but it is a valid point. I think that Ashley Young has proven himself in recent years though so should perhaps not fall into this category

I think that Fergie has a limited number of years to win the European Cup again - and he is misjudging the quality of the young players at United - and in the quality of the signings to get them that European Cup.

I think that he needs at least 4 or 5 top drawer superstar level first team players to win the European Cup again before he retires - and so far they haven't signed any.

The quality of young players at United is very very good, whether it's good enough to match Barca is a different matter but they have as good a crop of youngsters as I've seen since the 'class of 92'. As well as having youngsters who are already established in the team they have some really exciting youth players - pogba, morrisson, tunnicliffe, keane etc

I don't think that signing 4/5 huge names is the answer, I don't think there is even 4/5 world class names available.

Big name signings have as big a chance of flopping as they do succeeding, Man U can point to Veron and Chelsea can point to Crespo, Shevchenko and even Ballak to an extent. Even using Barca as a benchmark the only huge-name signing they have made is Villa, and while he has undoubtably been a success he is just a small part of the machine. Barca could have won the champions league with Colin Nish up front......the scary thing is that it's true!! Barca are a shining example of why teams should rear their own talent/sign young promising players

There's little point splashing massive money in an attempt to win the CL in the next three years as Barcelona appear too strong.

Short of a Messi leg-break I'd agree with this. While I still think that without him they'd still be the team to beat it would at least give other European heavyweights half a chance.

Carrick isn't poor, his only crime is that he's not Xavi. Carrick actually excelled in some of the big games last season - something he's previously failed to do (FA cup semi excluded). As for the champions league final I honestly think United could have had Keane and Robson in their prime playing and it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome. It's no coincidence that United have won 4/5 league titles since signing Carrick. He is often very unfairly criticised.

Bert Le Clos

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but thought it better than starting a completely new one.

BBC Sport understand Man U will sign Samir Nasri after bidding ?20m.

Fozzyonthefence

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but thought it better than starting a completely new one.

BBC Sport understand Man U will sign Samir Nasri after bidding ?20m.

Crazy money - I'm sure it said in the paper he only has a year left on his contract! But also that Chelsea could offer ?25m - unbelievable if he can sign a pre contract in January.

kingantti1874

great signing if they get him, wonder if they will still be after sneijder as well...

id love to see sanchez at a premiership team also

Would be a very good signing for United.

Be better if it was Sniejder, though.

O'Shea and Brown have now signed for Sunderland. Pretty happy with that as a Sunderland fan. They're not good enough to be Man Utd players but will definitely improve the Sunderland defence.

Nasri is obviously a good player.

But for me he isn't at the elite level needed by United to try to get another European Cup. They've spent a lot of money this summer - but it is hard to say that they have improved the first team any.

Charlie-Brown

Nasri is obviously a good player.

But for me he isn't at the elite level needed by United to try to get another European Cup. They've spent a lot of money this summer - but it is hard to say that they have improved the first team any.

The kind of players that would significantly improve the likes of Manchester United would probably eat up most of their transfer budget and they'd only get 1 or 2 as opposed to several, you get the feeling they are trying to sign potential to improve as opposed to genuine top class finished article.

kingantti1874

It's worked for them in the past, Rooney, Hernandez, ronaldo for example, very few teams sign the genuine finished article these days - in England only Chelsea and city and to be honest they are not successful in comparison to utd...

That said if utd want to compete with barca they'd need to sign Sanchez, nasri and sneijder IMO and get rid o nani Anderson and berbatov... Even then I'm not sure they would compete with them

With the departures of Brown and O'Shea, I can't help but wonder if SAF is in the market for another defender too.

United need to sign the likes of Kai Fitfield if they hope to weaken Barca's grip on European football!

Walter Bishop

With the departures of Brown and O'Shea, I can't help but wonder if SAF is in the market for another defender too.

They have 2 left backs, 4 central defenders and 2 right backs, I think they are in desperate need of a creative central midfielder and another striker, They are strong enough now to retain the title and the addition of Sneijder or Nasri plus a striker will make them too strong for the rest of the EPL.

Gibson, Berbatov and Nani i think will all still leave.

Say What Again

They have 2 left backs, 4 central defenders and 2 right backs

Who are the 2 right backs? I can only think of Rafael.

Last season both Brown and O'Shea were used at RB - they've both gone (along with Neville).

I thought maybe another RB would be in the pipeline.

Walter Bishop

Who are the 2 right backs? I can only think of Rafael.

Last season both Brown and O'Shea were used at RB - they've both gone (along with Neville).

I thought maybe another RB would be in the pipeline.

I was actually thinking De Laet but just realised he is away to Norwich on loan, though Fabio and Rafael play both full back positions. Valencia can play right back also and never included Jonny Evans in the 4 centre halfs. (Vidic,Ferdinand,Jones and Smalling)

Ravel Morrison may be the one to watch this year...

Say What Again

Rafael, Fabio and Evra

Two out and out left backs?

Still leaves them extremely short of cover IMO - especially since the two back up RBs you mention, are actually the first and second choice left back.

A long term injury to one of those 3 and you're down to just one RB and one LB. A suspension and your left with just one full back.

Now I've no doubt Johnny Evans could probably do a shift at full back, but it's a risky strategy for a club the size of Man Utd.

I was actually thinking De Laet but just realised he is away to Norwich on loan, though Fabio and Rafael play both full back positions. Valencia can play right back also and never included Jonny Evans in the 4 centre halfs. (Vidic,Ferdinand,Jones and Smalling)

Ravel Morrison may be the one to watch this year...

Definately...as long as he behaves himself.

Pogba also.

chester copperpot

Definately...as long as he behaves himself.

Pogba also.

Does he not play for Pelsea?

Does he not play for Pelsea?

I see what you did there.

Grab yer coat and pick a windae!

They have 2 left backs, 4 central defenders and 2 right backs, I think they are in desperate need of a creative central midfielder and another striker, They are strong enough now to retain the title and the addition of Sneijder or Nasri plus a striker will make them too strong for the rest of the EPL.

Gibson, Berbatov and Nani i think will all still leave.

2 left backs, I'll give you. The fact you're including one of the left backs as a right back doesn't hold up I'm afraid.

As far as central defenders go, Vidic will be the first name down on the team sheet, Rio can GTF, Smalling has shown plenty of potential and would be my number 2 behind Vida and Jones is unproven. I won't include Evans here as I don't think he has what it takes to be at a club like United.

He's more an Everton or Newcastle standard centre half.

I agree about needing a new midfielder, but I still think we should be looking at both Sneijder AND Nasri as our midfield is fairly poor at the moment. Anderson hasn't lived up to his potential, Carrick is a world class bottler in the big games and Gibson hasn't progressed enough for me either. Which only really leaves Fletcher as a defensive option.

------------------Fletcher------------

Young/Valencia-----Nasri---------Sneijder

That's a midfield that would see would create loads of chances for Rooney and young Chic to tuck away, leaving enough behind it to keep things ticking over.

Despite signing Young, I think that should Nani leave, we would need another winger. A Valencia type injury and we're left short out wide again.

2 left backs, I'll give you. The fact you're including one of the left backs as a right back doesn't hold up I'm afraid.

As far as central defenders go, Vidic will be the first name down on the team sheet, Rio can GTF, Smalling has shown plenty of potential and would be my number 2 behind Vida and Jones is unproven. I won't include Evans here as I don't think he has what it takes to be at a club like United.

He's more an Everton or Newcastle standard centre half.

I agree about needing a new midfielder, but I still think we should be looking at both Sneijder AND Nasri as our midfield is fairly poor at the moment. Anderson hasn't lived up to his potential, Carrick is a world class bottler in the big games and Gibson hasn't progressed enough for me either. Which only really leaves Fletcher as a defensive option.

------------------Fletcher------------

Young/Valencia-----Nasri---------Sneijder

That's a midfield that would see would create loads of chances for Rooney and young Chic to tuck away, leaving enough behind it to keep things ticking over.

Despite signing Young, I think that should Nani leave, we would need another winger. A Valencia type injury and we're left short out wide again.

2 established left backs and evans can also cover, ample personnel there

Rio can GTF? That's a bit harsh. Absolutely immense in all the big title run in games as well as the CL QF v Chelsea. Jury still out on Evans although Fergie is clearly giving him another year, he could become the new O'Shea i.e. steady utility man. Was immense when he first came into the team.

United have won 4/5 titles since Carrick arrived, no coincidence. As stated in my earlier post Carrick was actually really good in the big games this season minus his mistake in the FA cup semi. Immense in both chelsea QF games. The fact that United were outplayed by Barca doesn't make a blind bit of difference. United could have had Keane and Bryan Robson in the middle and they still wouldn't have got a sniff against Barca

I used to like Michael Carrick, but his performances in games like the 2009 CL Final, City at Wembley and Chelsea at the Bridge in the Premiership have been very sub par. He's good to have around in the big games at home, but he wouldn't be anywhere near Anfield, the Emirates, Stamford Bridge or Wembley if it was up to me.

The midfield I posted is vastly superior to the one United have at the moment.

As far as Rio goes, I've had zero time for him since his contract dispute following the drugs furore. Vidic is a far, far, far better centre half than Rio ever was and I have high hopes for Smalling. I'd have no qualms is having him or Jones in ahead of Twitter's most vocal member.

I honestly would have agreed with you regarding his performances in big games but I do feel he stepped it up last season. I thought he played a huge part in the title run in. I wouldn't judge any centre-mid on a performance against barca as they are unique and in a class of their own.

Rio and nemanja compliment each other perfectly. I see them both as world-class and their partnership has been a major factor in United's success over the last few years. I also think he is the type of strong-willed individual that you need to have a winning team.

Not wanting to disagree with you too much as seeing as your a jambo and a red your an awright **** in my book

I honestly would have agreed with you regarding his performances in big games but I do feel he stepped it up last season. I thought he played a huge part in the title run in. I wouldn't judge any centre-mid on a performance against barca as they are unique and in a class of their own.

Rio and nemanja compliment each other perfectly. I see them both as world-class and their partnership has been a major factor in United's success over the last few years. I also think he is the type of strong-willed individual that you need to have a winning team.

Not wanting to disagree with you too much as seeing as your a jambo and a red your an awright **** in my book

Haha, thanks mate.

Fair enough about Carrick, it's all about opinions really. I just don't think he offers enough in those big games to warrant him being there.

Like I say, Smalling is the future for United. The way he's come on in the past year is not only a testament to the player, but to the coaching staff and to Vida as well. If he continues to improve like that, he'll be a future United captain in the next 5 years.

Bert Le Clos

Fabio isn't a left back. He's right footed and only played left back because Rafael appeared to settle into the first team at right back quicker. He's just as much a right back as he is left, similar to a Dennis Irwin, and he was Ferguson's first choice right back when Rafael picked up an injury towards the end of the season.

I would say that just about gives Man U enough cover in defence; Vidic and Ferdinand in the centre with Smalling and Jones covering. Rafael and Evra at full backs, with Fabio covering both which also leaves Evans who has filled in at left back in the past as well as Fletcher and Valencia who have both covered at right back. Far stronger in depth than say Barcelona or Chelsea are in defence.

I can't see any chance of Man U signing both Nasri and Schneijder, that would cost them nearly another ?60m. Unless they sell someone for decent money I think they'll only bring in one more midfielder. And the most likely person to leave will be Berbatov, meaning they would probably need another striker.

Nani was voted Player's Player of the Season, not sure why people expect him to leave.

Jeremy beagle

Only cost Sunderland ?1million for Wes Brown. That seems like a bargain to me. Especially when you see championship defenders going for 5 million today!

Only cost Sunderland ?1million for Wes Brown. That seems like a bargain to me. Especially when you see championship defenders going for 5 million today!

Injury prone plus I think he would come into the same bracket as N Butt who was average at best at other clubs.Neville at Everton is the only player I can think of who has left Utd recently that they brought through the ranks and went to an English club and played to a high standard.

Archived