Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Bill

jamboceej

There was the obvious talk initially about the sectarian angle to the proposed legislation, however it is also very relevant in some of the talk we've seen on this board in the last few days. While most people have just been talking about their wish to see CT sacked from HMFC (a wish that is perfectly understandable), there has also been the inevitable 'flog him' comments, such as a poster talking about a wish to see his "legs broken". I would point out that from the wording of the Bill this would clearly fall under its remit (not sure if that would be the right term but i presume you know what i mean). I would caution anyone against letting their feelings get overboard in what they are saying, as it is exactly this type of thing that the legislation quite rightly is trying to address.

I'm not wanting to start yet another thread about what happened, what people think should now happen, etc, but a few posters are on very dodgy ground. The legislation is not just about songs, flags and the like. It is there to tighten up the laws governing so called 'keyboard hard men' (fecking horrible term but first thing that came to mind) and some on this place aren't acting too wisely.

Not too sure what the existing law exactly covers (sure some on here will though), but i do know what differences the new law will bring it, and if it was in now then there would be more than one breach of it on a few of the numerous threads around just now.

The law has been kicked into the long grass, aka they made a right shop front of it.

Independence

The law has been kicked into the long grass, aka they made a right shop front of it.

or......they acknowledged public opinion and postponed its introduction until further discussion takes place with all sensible people and organisations. In some ways, following your comments, they cant win.

However the SNP received a huge majority to gain power at Holyrood. Dealing with sectarianism was on their manifesto. They are duty bound to follow this up.

Personally the sooner the better. Labour have stood back and done nothing about sectarianism for the 50 years I have supported Hearts. Doing nothing surely is not now an option despite what the bigots say and irrespective of how sectarianism is dressed up.

A start would be to tackle those people who still march through Scotlands towns and cities wearing orange sashes, shouting about some battle that didn't even take place in Scotland and letting themselves down due to having consumed copious amounts of alcohol since early morning. It is a disgrace these sort of events still tarnish Scotland in 2011 !

or......they acknowledged public opinion and postponed its introduction until further discussion takes place with all sensible people and organisations. In some ways, following your comments, they cant win.

However the SNP received a huge majority to gain power at Holyrood. Dealing with sectarianism was on their manifesto. They are duty bound to follow this up.

Personally the sooner the better. Labour have stood back and done nothing about sectarianism for the 50 years I have supported Hearts. Doing nothing surely is not now an option despite what the bigots say and irrespective of how sectarianism is dressed up.

A start would be to tackle those people who still march through Scotlands towns and cities wearing orange sashes, shouting about some battle that didn't even take place in Scotland and letting themselves down due to having consumed copious amounts of alcohol since early morning. It is a disgrace these sort of events still tarnish Scotland in 2011 !

I was at a parade on saturday and all I seen were smiling faces, families and a lot of people having a good day out in celebration of an event that had remarkable ramifications for the British Isles.

syndicalist

Why let the facts get in the way of a good old nationalist rant. All the legislation regarding sectarianism was introduced under Labour adminitrations. No fan of the Labour party but those are the facts.

One of the first things the SNP did when they became the largest single party in the Scottish parliament was to close the cross party/cross religion forum set up to tackle sectarianism by the previous labour admisistration. Salmond then did nothing about the issue until there was a public/media outcry towards the end of the last parliament. At which point the SNP tried to introduce this ill thought out charter for totalitarianism.

Thankfully they've gone home to think again.

grumpyjambo

I was at a parade on saturday and all I seen were smiling faces, families and a lot of people having a good day out in celebration of an event that had remarkable ramifications for the British Isles.

I was at the event (no choice as I live in Prestonpans) and I had to stop a load of neds from using my garden as a toilet.

WeeToonJambo

You're lucky. Every year our gardens are used as toilets by both men and women. The parade passes us at about 10am, and the majority of the adults are drunk! When the parade finishes most of the revellers head for the pubs in Glasgow city centre to get even more tanked up. I find these parades offensive and I am not a Roman Catholic.

I should say I find the Republican marches equally offensive!

Archived