Tough times ahead....thick skin needed...

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

I've never been anti Romanov, and I've never been pro - Romanov either, I've tried to play more of a devils advocate.

I appreciate what Romanov has done, we have seen some of the best football at Tynecastle in years, and achieved more success recently that in a long time. However we have also seen some terrible moments of lunacy, team meddling and deep unrest.

A lot of his ramblings were entertaining and easy to dismiss as they appeared rather toothless and benign.

However of late things at the club have taken a more serious and sinister turn.

Craig Thomson has made an enormous mistake, and should take the punishment due for it.

Hearts have chosen to support him in this. Possibly not a decision I would agree with. However I noted a couple of things about this issue. In the paper the Hearts Supporters Trust representative (Wishart?) indicates there is more to the story than has been surfaced. Thomson is a football player...and although young, seems to have decided he has no other career. The only thing that will heal his personal issue here is time, and the hope that has past mistakes will slowly erode and been forgotten. It will follow him wherever he goes, at Hearts or elsewhere. So unless he decides to give up football (he clearly seems not to have), he will have to face the issue. The club (Romanov) have chosen to stand by him in this, rather than let him go and suffer it alone. I can see a little bit of honour in that decision, they have chosen to view it as a young persons mistake and help him deal with the repercussions. But i'd still prefer for him to have been dealt with more swiftly and conclusively.

Romanov has since come out with a statement of stratospheric proportions of lunacy.

I think some of what has hurt the fans most has been the appearance of these things after what has seemed a hugely exciting and positive pre-season. The rug has been pulled from under us somewhat. The focus was on football, signings and Hearts strengthening in almost all departments with what seemed like most to be a serious enhancement to the squad, leaving the entire support eagerly anticipating the start of next season and a huge match against Rangers.

This went a long way to smooth over the embarrassing events at the end of last season, where one man's idiocy dragged the club into the mire and headlines for the wrong reasons.

And now it appears that one man's idiocy has once again dragged the club onto the front page and news headlines for the wrong reasons. The problems is that mud sticks, and when mud was just sticking to Romanov, it was fine. But now the whole club is getting covered in it.

His statement was ill advised, poorly timed and seemed like the rantings of a jealous, embittered and fanatical idiot. Rather than what could have been an opportunity to say something sensible, thoughtful and reasoned. Something that would have been appreciated by fans who were already feeling a bit conflicted and stunned. To be honest, the best approach by the club would have been silence. But like a drunk student who thinks he is bigger and harder than he really is, filled with some Dutch courage Romanov couldn't let it go an wades back in over the shoulder of his more sensible friends to get some parting shouts of abuse in.

Its pretty clear a lot of fans are having some level of difficulty working what to do about it, how to feel. Can you support the club without supporting Romanov's stance? Does cheering the crowd mean cheering Thomo and supporting his continued place in the squad? If not, how do you make it clear what parts of the clubs stance you do agree with, and which you don't?

I do want to draw a line under the Craig Thomson saga.

But I don't want to see him play at Tynecastle again.

I do want Hearts to chase more success.

But I don't want Romanov to embarrass the club further and make the club into a joke.

I do support Hearts, and like many, its not a choice, its just what you grow up with. So I cant just stop.

But I do have a bad taste in my mouth following some actions and comments that have come from the club. Leaving me, and I assume a lot of others a bit stunned and in a quandary as to how to react.

I'm not going to give up supporting them. I have bought my ST and will continue to go to the games.

But I don't want the club to be associated with these issues, or become a figure of ridicule or hatred within Scottish football.

Some threads on here discussed protesting against Romanov....that is nonsense as far as I am concerned. I'm also not going to boo Thomo if he plays, although I know many others will. Its tough feeling powerless and voiceless as fans.

I don't want to be associated with some of the clubs decisions, but I wont stop supporting them just because I disagree with some things.

I do feel a sense of disappointment that things have turned out the way they have, that Romanov has mouthed off and made a fool of himself and by association, the club, yet again.

The press and rest of the SPL will not give Hearts a smooth ride after this. The attention on the club is heightened even further. Everyone will want to see the reaction when and if Thomo gets a game. The SFA will want to know what Romanov was on about with his talk of Mafia and criminals.

Its gonna be tough times ahead that much is clear, and fans like me, who are somewhere in the middle (neither pro or anti Romanov) are clearly gonna find it uneasy to sit tight while the boat gets rocked.

I've never been anti Romanov, and I've never been pro - Romanov either, I've tried to play more of a devils advocate.

I appreciate what Romanov has done, we have seen some of the best football at Tynecastle in years, and achieved more success recently that in a long time. However we have also seen some terrible moments of lunacy, team meddling and deep unrest.

A lot of his ramblings were entertaining and easy to dismiss as they appeared rather toothless and benign.

Craig Thomson has made an enormous mistake, and should take the punishment due for it.

Hearts have chosen to support him in this. Possibly not a decision I would agree with. However I noted a couple of things about this issue. In the paper the Hearts Supporters Trust representative (Wishart?) indicates there is more to the story than has been surfaced. Thomson is a football player...and although young, seems to have decided he has no other career. The only thing that will heal his personal issue here is time, and the hope that has past mistakes will slowly erode and been forgotten. It will follow him wherever he goes, at Hearts or elsewhere. So unless he decides to give up football (he clearly seems not to have), he will have to face the issue. The club (Romanov) have chosen to stand by him in this, rather than let him go and suffer it alone. I can see a little bit of honour in that decision, they have chosen to view it as a young persons mistake and help him deal with the repercussions. But i'd still prefer for him to have been dealt with more swiftly and conclusively.

Romanov has since come out with a statement of stratospheric proportions of lunacy.

I think some of what has hurt the fans most has been the appearance of these things after what has seemed a hugely exciting and positive pre-season. The rug has been pulled from under us somewhat. The focus was on football, signings and Hearts strengthening in almost all departments with what seemed like most to be a serious enhancement to the squad, leaving the entire support eagerly anticipating the start of next season and a huge match against Rangers.

This went a long way to smooth over the embarrassing events at the end of last season, where one man's idiocy dragged the club into the mire and headlines for the wrong reasons.

And now it appears that one man's idiocy has once again dragged the club onto the front page and news headlines for the wrong reasons. The problems is that mud sticks, and when mud was just sticking to Romanov, it was fine. But now the whole club is getting covered in it.

His statement was ill advised, poorly timed and seemed like the rantings of a jealous, embittered and fanatical idiot. Rather than what could have been an opportunity to say something sensible, thoughtful and reasoned. Something that would have been appreciated by fans who were already feeling a bit conflicted and stunned. To be honest, the best approach by the club would have been silence. But like a drunk student who thinks he is bigger and harder than he really is, filled with some Dutch courage Romanov couldn't let it go an wades back in over the shoulder of his more sensible friends to get some parting shouts of abuse in.

Its pretty clear a lot of fans are having some level of difficulty working what to do about it, how to feel. Can you support the club without supporting Romanov's stance? Does cheering the crowd mean cheering Thomo and supporting his continued place in the squad? If not, how do you make it clear what parts of the clubs stance you do agree with, and which you don't?

But I don't want Romanov to embarrass the club further and make the club into a joke.

I do support Hearts, and like many, its not a choice, its just what you grow up with. So I cant just stop.

But I do have a bad taste in my mouth following some actions and comments that have come from the club. Leaving me, and I assume a lot of others a bit stunned and in a quandary as to how to react.

I'm not going to give up supporting them. I have bought my ST and will continue to go to the games.

But I don't want the club to be associated with these issues, or become a figure of ridicule or hatred within Scottish football.

Some threads on here discussed protesting against Romanov....that is nonsense as far as I am concerned. I'm also not going to boo Thomo if he plays, although I know many others will. Its tough feeling powerless and voiceless as fans.

I don't want to be associated with some of the clubs decisions, but I wont stop supporting them just because I disagree with some things.

I do feel a sense of disappointment that things have turned out the way they have, that Romanov has mouthed off and made a fool of himself and by association, the club, yet again.

The press and rest of the SPL will not give Hearts a smooth ride after this. The attention on the club is heightened even further. Everyone will want to see the reaction when and if Thomo gets a game. The SFA will want to know what Romanov was on about with his talk of Mafia and criminals.

Its gonna be tough times ahead that much is clear, and fans like me, who are somewhere in the middle (neither pro or anti Romanov) are clearly gonna find it uneasy to sit tight while the boat gets rocked.

Its a roller coaster my friend and headlines come and go but the team is the one thing thats going to get us all through this in the end :thumbsup:

I'd agree with most of that to be fair.

I think what we are gonna take the most criticism for, on the terraces that is, is the CT issue.

With regards to that, I think that potentially our only saving grace is that the hatred coming from the away end will probably be matched by that coming from the home support. Other teams will rightly tear us to shreds for this - I can't help but think that the best we can do is to actually agree with them.

Dr. Bapswent

I'd agree with most of that to be fair.

I think what we are gonna take the most criticism for, on the terraces that is, is the CT issue.

With regards to that, I think that potentially our only saving grace is that the hatred coming from the away end will probably be matched by that coming from the home support. Other teams will rightly tear us to shreds for this - I can't help but think that the best we can do is to actually agree with them.

Thing is Erik...I don't want to boo any Hearts player...and although what Thomo has done makes him a very different case. I still have no desire to boo him, id rather ignore him.

But I also don't feel comfortable giving the opposition free reign to give him as much abuse as they like.

I don't particularly 'want' to boo anyone in maroon either, but part of me feels like the best way to silence abuse from other supporters is to side with them.... Abusive chants don't really have the same 'GIRUY' factor when the support you aim them at happen to agree with their content.

It's strange logic I know. I personally don't know how I'll react if / when he plays again.... But I do wish I wasn't in a position where I was even having to give it any thought at all!

Good post Dr B.

Only slight addition I'd make is that your post suggests that this case/conviction will blight Thomson's career. I beg to differ, it's bigger than that, it will blight his whole life as long as he stays in Edinburgh/Midlothian. He will always be that guy who sent rude pictures to wee girls, that will affect his current friendships and any new friendships he would look to form. Any hopes he has of building a family have taken a huge knock as any prospective partner will have doubts about his sexual peccadilloes.

I don't particularly 'want' to boo anyone in maroon either, but part of me feels like the best way to silence abuse from other supporters is to side with them.... Abusive chants don't really have the same 'GIRUY' factor when the support you aim them at happen to agree with their content.

It's strange logic I know. I personally don't know how I'll react if / when he plays again.... But I do wish I wasn't in a position where I was even having to give it any thought at all!

I don't think it is strange logic at all. Also, your closing gambit is surely the thoughts of many, many Hearts fans.

Dr. Bapswent

Good post Dr B.

Only slight addition I'd make is that your post suggests that this case/conviction will blight Thomson's career. I beg to differ, it's bigger than that, it will blight his whole life as long as he stays in Edinburgh/Midlothian. He will always be that guy who sent rude pictures to wee girls, that will affect his current friendships and any new friendships he would look to form. Any hopes he has of building a family have taken a huge knock as any prospective partner will have doubts about his sexual peccadilloes.

Yep, I agree.

And it is a bigger issue. I just wanted to focus on the connection to the club.

It will follow him wherever he goes, so the club seem to have decided he is pretty much screwed no matter where he goes, they might as well help him and not lose out his talents. What has been left out has been the fans opinion and the position is puts them in as a result.

... as any prospective partner will have doubts about his sexual peccadilloes.

Maybe he can show her some photos of them.

Only a Game

Great OP by Dr Bapswent

My only issue is persisting in agreeing with or putting forward the notion that a serious sexual offence like this can be re-categorised as merely "a mistake" Its a hell of a lot more than a mistake. Even an "enormous mistake" as the OP said it was, to me doesnt cover it. Lets call a spade a spade here, he's committed a horrendous sexual offence, received scant punishment for it, both from the court and the club and as it stands at the moment he's likely to play for us again, despite the fan base being, almost to a man, totally against this.

It is going to be tough times ahead should the club continue with this course and, even after this issue is settled and on the back burner, we are going to be embarrassed time and time again by our owner.

But we've also got a hell of a lot to look forward to and a hell of a lot to be proud of in our club so, whilst it hurts like hell at the moment, I agree with the sentiments of the OP in that we have to each find ways of drawing our own line under this before the season starts.

We'll get pelters for this, from the press, from opposition fans, probably from the SFA and our internal responses to it wont be to many peoples liking, but, in the words of a former player 'WE ARE HEARTS AND WE DONT FEAR ANYONE' and thats the attitude we somehow have to carry into the next season.

Good post dr b, great to hear someones honest and considered opinions rather than some of the hobo wums and knee-jerk reactions we have had to endure on here of late.

Teuchterjambo

First class post Dr B and sums it up for me and for many others I'm sure.

This lunatic is dragging the proud name of our club through the gutter once gain and this time it is deeper than ever - I will never stop loving this club but it is becoming less lovable all the time and that is particularly true to the younger generations both now and in the future. Countless numbers of potential fans will be turned away from the club as a result of this sorry saga and if he was the business man some think he is then he would see that.

He cares nothing for the club and even less for the supporters whose emotions he toys with for his own amusement simply because he can - the because he can syndrome is what gives him his kicks and those who think otherwise and see him as some kind of saviour are deluded. He did save us from Robinson and Murrayfield - good for him but let nobody think it was because of anything other than personal gratification and potential financial advancement - any business spin off never worked out and this club is a mere plaything to him and he will drop it at the first opportunity that becomes finanacially viable - the lack of that opportunity is the reason he is still here.

J Cheever Loophole

Its a roller coaster my friend and headlines come and go but the team is the one thing thats going to get us all through this in the end :thumbsup:

I was dropping a mate and his family off at the weegie airport at 4-30 this morning.I know it's childish,but I always wear something JTish through there,but the looks I was getting.It's gonna be tough next season,but what can you do?I don't intend to go about apologizing to all and sundry so **** them.I just hope Vlad explains why FFS.

First class post Dr B and sums it up for me and for many others I'm sure.

This lunatic is dragging the proud name of our club through the gutter once gain and this time it is deeper than ever - I will never stop loving this club but it is becoming less lovable all the time and that is particularly true to the younger generations both now and in the future. Countless numbers of potential fans will be turned away from the club as a result of this sorry saga and if he was the business man some think he is then he would see that.

He cares nothing for the club and even less for the supporters whose emotions he toys with for his own amusement simply because he can - the because he can syndrome is what gives him his kicks and those who think otherwise and see him as some kind of saviour are deluded. He did save us from Robinson and Murrayfield - good for him but let nobody think it was because of anything other than personal gratification and potential financial advancement - any business spin off never worked out and this club is a mere plaything to him and he will drop it at the first opportunity that becomes finanacially viable - the lack of that opportunity is the reason he is still here.

Great post :thumbsup:

Any hopes he has of building a family have taken a huge knock as any prospective partner will have doubts about his sexual peccadilloes.

This is something i am struggling with...,....his girlfriend is sticking by him, his family are sticking by him, his close friends are sticking by him (i was speaking to one last week who said the press hsd blown it out of proportion and did not tell the real story) and his employers are sticking by him. They are obviously party to more info than we have to come to their decision.

Our info to base our judgement on though is he pleaded guilty.

Imo, Hearts should have made the example of him...simple as that. He comitted this crime while employed by us and should have been made unemployed.

If years down the line he gets a second chance at another club and its all the rehab/he`s put it behind him sheight then fine, but we are/were in a position to make the right choice and we didn`t. We have pretty much condoned what he done.

BH - even if the girls put him up to it, and led him on, he ought to have thought twice ... ?

This is something i am struggling with...,....his girlfriend is sticking by him, his family are sticking by him, his close friends are sticking by him (i was speaking to one last week who said the press hsd blown it out of proportion and did not tell the real story) and his employers are sticking by him. They are obviously party to more info than we have to come to their decision.

Our info to base our judgement on though is he pleaded guilty.

Aye? The girlfriend bit surprises me. "Ah sent some naughty pics to wee lassies in the past, hen, but ah love you now. Gonnae stay". Jeezo.

BH - even if the girls put him up to it, and led him on, he ought to have thought twice ... ?

JV, in no way was my above post meant to sound like defensive, more a statement after the fact. He was the adult and should be held responsible for his actions. It is one of those situations where the grown up is meant to know better.

Commander Harris

excellent OP that pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter.

The scary thing is, at his age, he should be looking for other ways to get his Nat, more appropriately ...

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Excellent post, and one I'd agree with in the most part.

We're all used to Vlad's rants and don't expect any less from him. Some are amusing, some, like yesterday's, are just outrageous. We all know how he feels about the SFA and Scottish Football in general, but time and time again we're getting punished for his comments and at some point, he's going to have to keep a lid on what he says even though a lot of us will agree 100% with what has been said in the past or what he wants to say.

With regards to Thomson, I've already posted my views on another thread which I was criticised for by a couple of posters. I understand why they said what they said and to prevent me from repeating what I said again, we'll all just need to get used to the fact he's a Hearts player and try and deal with it, even if many of us don't want to.

It's going to be a very tough season/career for Thomson now and like you say thick skin will be needed by all of us and particularly himself. He'll realise he will get abuse wherever he goes and if he has the right attitude, he'll knuckle down, ignore it and grow as a footballer.

Good post Dr B.

Oops never noticed what I wrote had been mentioned

Great OP there.

What gets me most about Vlad's statement is that at least until now the loony ravings of the man have only really impacted Hearts as a club by tarnishing the clubs reputation, not good or desirable but fixable. This statement seems to come out blaming Mackay, outside influences etc for the behaviour of these players when the only people responsible for their bad behaviour is themselves. I feel it's totally insulting to those families that we can't have the decency to recognize that Thomson committed a serious crime on their daughters of his own volition even if they somehow try to justify his rehabilitation.

Boab Mugabe

Our haters will always hate us. So the whole shameful Thomson issue gives them more ammunition, like they needed any in the first place. They can ram it.

I will not apologise to anyone for being a Heart of Midlothian supporter.

I don't post often, but read on a daily basis. I totally agree with this thread and cannot understand Romanovs decision but we have no option but to go with it. My big concern is JJ. Will JJ stay with us after this? If the hobo's and the rest of the teams start signing songs that in some way hint that JJ knew about this or condones this will he put up with that? I have a horrible feeling he wont. JJ IS the bestthing to have happend to Hearts in a long time and i have a bad feeling that has been ruined! I really hop; im wrong!

Barney Rubble

Most of the Hearts fans i know have the skin of a rhino and attitude to boot cant see this turning them into a bunch of fragile flowers .

Punks No Deid

Most of the Hearts fans i know have the skin of a rhino and attitude to boot cant see this turning them into a bunch of fragile flowers .

:thumbsup: if we bolted at the 1st sign of trouble we'd have a lower average attendance than the smelly mob. Its in the blood and despite how you feel about rantings or recent situations/developments - "We'll support you ever more"

I can deal with external stuff - really don't give a flying one what others think.

It's the fact that this problem has been caused from within the club that I can't keep down.

Proven in a court of law that he's a beast - end of story. There is no mitigating circumstances or they would have cleared him. It's not the first time Vlad has went down this route - Rix was bad enough. In his circumstances, he'd done his time so more room to forgive him. The beast has brought the club directly into disrepute through his beastly actions.

What kind of society is Russia/Lithuania when paedos are revered? Makes me sick.

Barney Rubble

:thumbsup: if we bolted at the 1st sign of trouble we'd have a lower average attendance than the smelly mob. Its in the blood and despite how you feel about rantings or recent situations/developments - "We'll support you ever more"

yeah too true mate , CT isnt Hearts Vlad isnt Hearts , WE are the Hearts .

Nookie Bear

That's one thing that has really annoyed me about CT being kept on: it puts us fans in the moral spotlight and we cannot win.

Boo him mercilessly for 90 minutes and it will ruin the team and make Tynie a horrible place to watch football for us, ignore him and we are seen as accepting him, lower ourselves to supporting him to wind up opposition fans (which I think will happen) and we will be hammered for it..............and what if he scores? Do we ignore a goal, applaud politely but boo his name?

Vlad has basically thrown a live hand-grenade onto our laps. Cheers, Mr Romanov.

Buffalo Bill

I've had text messages and comments given to me over the last few days, mostly from Hibbys, saying stuff like "you're a peado club", or "you support peados" and comments linking Thomson to Rix and even to the laddie Lithgow? who was a perv.

It's not nice. But that's the situation I, and probably many of you find yourselves in.

It'll be like that all next season and probably the season after that.

Neilson's Shank

Great OP, sadly we have all had to add a few layers to the epidermis since VR took over and I think we will have to add a few more before he is finished. If you want an easy time as a football fan support the ugly sisters from through the west, it's never easy being a Jambo, just say thanks every morning that you are not a Hibby.

Dr. Bapswent

Just wanted to acknowledge, as others have done, what an excellent OP to this thread.

:thumbsup:

great post M8 sums up how i kind of feel.I am niether a rabid jambo or a crisp bag rattler these days but i have been put under presure from friends and family asking why i could go and watch and support a sex offender. I have never booed a hearts player in my puff but i feel i would have to make my feelings know if he pulled on a hearts shirt again. i hate Romanov for putting me in this position but its going to be a rough time trying to defend the club i love and have watched for over 30 years my only hope is he never plays again.But i would never give up on HMFC. CT and Romanov are not hearts we are so i supose it will be seat belts on for a while.

Dr. Bapswent

As written in the Daily Record today...

It does appear that the club are putting money before morals. Looking to a transfer fee rather than doing the right thing.

Jambof3tornado

As written in the Daily Record today...

It does appear that the club are putting money before morals. Looking to a transfer fee rather than doing the right thing.

I said before that football has no morals. Look at Fifa, the top of the tree is corrupt to the core. The sfa and referees hardly cleaner than clean. Nope if you want morals go to church but dont expect any in football.

Adi Dassler

Imo, Hearts should have made the example of him...simple as that. He comitted this crime while employed by us and should have been made unemployed.

If years down the line he gets a second chance at another club and its all the rehab/he`s put it behind him sheight then fine, but we are/were in a position to make the right choice and we didn`t. We have pretty much condoned what he done.

This is the bottom line mate and it's the most unpalatable thing about the whole affair.

To any right minded person it's absolutely unbelievable Thompson remains an employee of HMFC.

I cannot get my head around this one at all.

Make no mistake, this is the biggest PR gaff in the history of the club and the potential fall-out is enormous.

But top post by DrB, and we don't often agree on much.

Top post, Dr B

I agree. I particularly agree that there is probably honour in Hearts' decision re Thomson's future. I just don't believe in writing off young people unless their crimes are catastrophic, knife crimes, drug dealing etc.

How Thomson faces up to it on the park will be real test. That, plus ensuring that he never offends again - in any way.

From Perth to Paisley

That is a superb opening post and I think encapsulates how most of us feel.

Top notch OP Doc :)

I've read lots of thoughts on here in last few days but this approach probably most closely matches my own. I'm more saddened and confused than anything else and while I haven't got it all worked out, I do know that there are things I definitely don't want to see happen. I don't want to see the fans turning against the club. I don't want to see the rest of the players suffering because of something one of their teammates did. I don't want to hear the press getting viciously stuck in whenever the chances presents itself. I don't want to see opposition fans ripping into us or any player in maroon, I don't want to see our own fans joining in with them either for that matter. I don't want to walk into a hotel bar in another city and have to see the television repeating the story on a loop as folk sit in wee groups discussing (and criticising) my club. I don't want to witness things getting ugly - but I'll probably have to do so.

:oldsad:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Our haters will always hate us. So the whole shameful Thomson issue gives them more ammunition, like they needed any in the first place. They can ram it.

I will not apologise to anyone for being a Heart of Midlothian supporter.

100% this.

As incomprehensible as Vlad's decisions and rantings have been, they don't change my feelings for HMFC one iota.

Drewjambobusby

Good post from the Heart.

I actually stuck up for CT and wondered what the "Information we don`t know" was. I thought that perhaps there were mitigating circumstances that may have altered the courts and HMFC stance on things and swayed them from Jail and dismissal respectively.

Yesterday i read the Sunday Mail article. No i know it`s a sensationalist Glasgow piece of sheet but it`s hard to defend CT through some of the information in it. If it wasn`t accurate, i am sure they would be leaving themselves open for libel etc. SO i am firmly in the CT had to go camp now and what he did was unforgiveable and much worse than i first feared.

We are going to get stick as fans for some time, but like everything else in football it will fade as a new more interesting scandal breaks , hopefully elsewhere !!! As for Romanovs statement ? Interest in that will fade too. That is, until he makes the next one, which he will do as he really is a lunatic i am afraid.

Archived