Dundee Utd 5 Hearts 6

The Real Maroonblood

Miller Jambo 60
I WAS THERE.......................what more can i say, what a game.

Im too wee but wish id been there.

Was there a big Hearts crowd that day .

avhudtheteeshirt

I remember after the game we had to walk down the hill to the station singing away. The station went into uproar when the tannoy announcer told us "The Football Special To Edinburgh Waverley Would Be Leaving At 6:5"

All the way down in the train we were singing the SIX FIVE SPECIAL COMING DOWN THE LINE, THE SIX FIVE SPECIAL RIGHT ON TIME. Those trains were filthy dirty but boy we had a great time going to matches!

The Real Maroonblood
Im too wee but wish id been there.

Was there a big Hearts crowd that day .

Hard to remember the actual support we had there but there was a lot.

I have the game plus others on dvd.Only problem being i gave it to a mate last season and haven't seen it since.Some other great games on it as well.W Wallace looked the part as did A Gordon.Shame they went elsewhere.:)

I was there with my father, Rankers played Dundee same day at Dens Park. Buses everywhere, they had just finished when we were about to start. Great memories!

Darkwhisky7

I had only started going to Hearts games a few years before this and didn't really go to many away games up till then, so picture the scene, a sunny day in Muirhouse Drive, playing hit the bar and 3 a side wi' goalie an in the football field right in front of my house, Silverknowes primary school, my Dad (A Hibby) opens the living room window and shouts doon "Dundee United.....five! at which point I had lost the will to live never mind even try and hit the bloody bar anymore, followed by a long pause before he said, "Hearts....six! At which point I thought he was just winding me up, after all Hearts score 6 away? Aye right, ya Hibby get! When I found out it was true, what a feeling, couldn't stop smiling all weekend, I think even my dad was pleased.

As others have said, what a disappointment at Hampden in the final, I can remember going through and felt really let down, although this wasn't my only trip to the national stadium that year, I'm certain it was the same year I went to see Scotland draw 1-1 with England with John Hughes (Celtic) scoring for Scotland and Martin Peters for England. The one thing I remember was the massive crowd, I could hardly see the game for all the bodies tightly packed together, later on I heard the crowd that day was 134,000, phew! Any other older guys feel free to correct my memory if any of this is not the case, I have a poor memory sometimes on stuff that happened that long ago.

John Findlay
I had only started going to Hearts games a few years before this and didn't really go to many away games up till then, so picture the scene, a sunny day in Muirhouse Drive, playing hit the bar and 3 a side wi' goalie an in the football field right in front of my house, Silverknowes primary school, my Dad (A Hibby) opens the living room window and shouts doon "Dundee United.....five! at which point I had lost the will to live never mind even try and hit the bloody bar anymore, followed by a long pause before he said, "Hearts....six! At which point I thought he was just winding me up, after all Hearts score 6 away? Aye right, ya Hibby get! When I found out it was true, what a feeling, couldn't stop smiling all weekend, I think even my dad was pleased.

As others have said, what a disappointment at Hampden in the final, I can remember going through and felt really let down, although this wasn't my only trip to the national stadium that year, I'm certain it was the same year I went to see Scotland draw 1-1 with England with John Hughes (Celtic) scoring for Scotland and Martin Peters for England. The one thing I remember was the massive crowd, I could hardly see the game for all the bodies tightly packed together, later on I heard the crowd that day was 134,000, phew! Any other older guys feel free to correct my memory if any of this is not the case, I have a poor memory sometimes on stuff that happened that long ago.

Silverknowes primary. Alas there no more. Had to go there for about six months in 1973 whilst they sorted some problem out at my actual primary(Pirniehall). Was in one of the hut classes.

Yes the 1968 final was a huge disappointment but, it prepared you well for 1976, 1986, 1996 x 2.

John

J.T.F.Robertson

As others have said, what a disappointment at Hampden in the final, I can remember going through and felt really let down

I was at the final (along with the 2 games against Morton in the semi) and of course it was a disappointment, however, were Dunfermline not a pretty decent side at the time? Charlie Dickson et al?

Sounds right to me. Charlie Cook stood out, what a player!

The result meant England qualified for the Euro Championships and we failed!

The Home internationals then regarded as our qualifying group!

The final, like two bad semi finals, was poor, but the Dunfy side we very good!

They reached the semi final of the Cup winners cup after a good run. Roy Barry captained them, and he was of course ex Hearts!

Hearts Heritage

Match Report here

Buffalo Bill

A very interesting thread, I wish I could've been around to have seen the game.

Were Hearts a good team in 1968?

What level were they comparred to say 1986? Or 1998?

Cheers,

Buffalo Bill

You are spot on mate. I missed the 5-6 game as i was a young schoolboy and couldnt afford to go to every game on the pocket money my Da gave me (I lived in West lothian so had to get bus fare as well as gate money) Our school was running a bus to the Scotland/England game you mention and I was saving for that one, my first Scotland game, so thought i'd give the Dundee utd game a miss. I've regretted it ever since. what a result! I had a similar experience to you hearing the result though with me it was Eamonn Andrews (Bless him!) on World of Sport saying "Here's an early Scottish cup result - Dundee Utd 5...............(curses from me) ....Hearts 6!" then he repeated it saying yes you heard right! I saw every other cup game that year including both rangers games but I'll always regret missing that one. The Scotland game was a great experience (and there was a 134000 plus crowd but a disappointing result after beating them the previous year at Wembley.)

The Real Maroonblood

Cheers,

Buffalo Bill

BB it is always difficult to draw comparisons. I suppose with 1998 you remmember more fondly about players because we won the cup but 1968 and 1986 we had some great players as well. So if you put me on the spot I would go for 1986.

gowestjambo

Cheers,

Buffalo Bill

Bill, some things may change - Hearts dont! having done all the hard work ie D.utd and Rangers wins losing to Dunfermline (who were a good team) still makes me 40 years, later sick to the stomach! - I was later told it builds character - well I bloody well have all the character I need thanks very much!!

jambos are go!

Cheers,

Buffalo Bill

They were not a great team but had a a few really good players(Cruikie, Jensen and Ford). They rode there luck and got stuck in to get to the final. Dunfermline were a really good team and outclassed us IMO.

They were not a great team but had a a few really good players(Cruikie, Jensen and Ford). They rode there luck and got stuck in to get to the final. Dunfermline were a really good team and outclassed us IMO.

Pars were good then and as usual some of our lot failed!

Cruikie and Miller, Traynor and Ford gave their all, but others seemed to fade away. Hey! This is the Heart of Midlothian, what do you expect? :dribble:

Guest JamboRobbo

Got some video footage somewhere - think I even converted it to cd/dvd also. vital penalty save from Kenny Garland.

Hmm, some day, went up in the S Queensferry bus, and like someone else said, you could change ends in those days. I lost ma specs in the surge after the second goal by Rene....lol, just managed to retrieve them before the hunders started coming back up towoards me under the shed....incredible scenes when the winner went in at the death. Oh happy days.

Archived