Dundee Utd 5 Hearts 6

The Real Maroonblood

Colonel Kurtz

great game

Got back on the bus ,and heard Hibs had been knocked out of the cup by Airdrie.

Watched the highlights at night with a bag of chips from carmen at the Inch chippy and a bottle of pippin...the high life

Rember it well - 2-0 up after twenty minutes - 4-3 down at half time. A Kenny Garland penalty save and finaly winning 6 - 5 thanks to a Jimmy Irvine cracker. I was hoarse for a week after that match. The pity was that after what was a really great cup run that season we could'nt cap it by winning the cup against Dunfermline.

jambos are go!

What I remember was the Miller penalty given to make it 5-5. It was given for hand ball but the ball was well over the line and I was fuming because of the pressure Miller was under. Trademark daisy cutter gave keeper no chance IIRC.

What I remember was the Miller penalty given to make it 5-5. It was given for hand ball but the ball was well over the line and I was fuming because of the pressure Miller was under. Trademark daisy cutter gave keeper no chance IIRC.

Rene Mollars second goal was a real gem as I remember!

hearts @ heart

1st away match. Missed the special and travelled up on the service train which had a lot of rankers fans on it.

They were playing Dundee in the Scottish Cup on the same street with kick off times staggered.

Still big queues when we got there. Hearts were winning by the time we got in. Think Rene Moller scored?

Could not believe we went from 2 up to 4-2 down in the first half.

Few controversial decisions if I remember right.

Ht 4-2 or 4-3 cant remember but what a fight back by the JT's.

Great day out.:)

jambos are go!

I watched it from the steep terracing on a really nice day. Magnificent and unrivalled viewing platform IMO then or since. We didnae mind gettting wet in these days either

Winston Ingram

Remember watching highlights of this game on the old "Hearts Club" Tv channel circa 1998.. so footage is available somewhere. Looked like some game, even in black and white!

J.T.F.Robertson
Rene Mollars second goal was a real gem as I remember!

I think he ran all the way from the halfway line, before "slotting it home".

Someone mentioned JI's winner as being a "cracker". We were behind that goal and my memory is of him heading it in from almost underneath the crossbar. :confused:

jambos are go!
I think he ran all the way from the halfway line, before "slotting it home".

Someone mentioned JI's winner as being a "cracker". We were behind that goal and my memory is of him heading it in from almost underneath the crossbar. :confused:

Mollers wonder goal was flick over his shoulder with his back to goal . I think the other was a header but I'm not sure. Irvine cut in from the right following a throw in and hammered it in from just outside the area I'm sure.

Pleasant day out. Went up in the Manor bus and probably came back in the same bus. Remember that Rene Moller chant sung to "Kiss her goodbye" or some song like that.

These were also dark days with lots of "Party Songs" and union jacks.

The Manor Club was rank with it. Daft laddies and a few evil *******s.

dkmmgcycbwc
great game

Got back on the bus ,and heard Hibs had been knocked out of the cup by Airdrie.

Watched the highlights at night with a bag of chips from carmen at the Inch chippy and a bottle of pippin...the high life

You must have been for a few celebratory pints first because our game kicked off at 2 because Dundee were at home to Rangers and all the others including Hibs kicked off at 3, I seem to remember.

J.T.F.Robertson
Mollers wonder goal was flick over his shoulder with his back to goal . I think the other was a header but I'm not sure. Irvine cut in from the right following a throw in and hammered it in from just outside the area I'm sure.

Oh well, at least I was close. :confused:

Moller couldn't header a ball for toffee - it was the one big weakness in his game. I remember there was a lot of talk at the time about bringing Willie Bauld back to Tynecastle to teach him hiow to header a ball.

Moller first goal in that game was a run onto a pass from George Miller as I remember and slipping the ball past the keeper.

J.T.F.Robertson
Moller couldn't header a ball for toffee - it was the one big weakness in his game. I remember there was a lot of talk at the time about bringing Willie Bauld back to Tynecastle to teach him hiow to header a ball.

Moller first goal in that game was a run onto a pass from George Miller as I remember and slipping the ball past the keeper.

There you are, he started his run from the halfway line. Phew! I'm only half-daft. :rolleyes:

jambos are go!

2 out of 3 aint bad.

colinmaroon

Some day! Some year!!!

Eddie Thomson scoring saved me from getting lifted - about to run onto the pitch after the second of two offside goals for Utd.

Back home to my mate's 21st, and he had packed the TV away for the party!!

Managed to persuade another mate to nip up the road to his place to watch the highlights! Wife-to-be says she didn't realise I was 'serious' about football!!!???

40 years later, she still says she didn't realise before we were married!!! Wonder where she thought I disappeared to that night? Surely not???

28th March got married and interrupted the honeymoon for the semi at Hampden.

1-1 v Morton - Jensen cracker!

Interrupted the honeymoon for 2nd time for replay!!!

Pity, as said before, we couldn't do it against Dunfermline.

Remember talking to Moller after the game and he was almost in state of shock at the fervour of the fans!!!

Unusual game that!

Moller was something special when he got going, but a bit moody.

Not a game to forget but the penalty save, and Garland was good at those, was a winner! I can clearly remember the last goal and Miller having his leg broken accidentally by Arthur Thomson. They just bumped into one another and he broke it.

Great game for neutrals.

scott herbertson

My mate got back steaming off the bus and charged home to tell his dad about the game

His dad was getting on a bit - ex season ticket holder and pretty ill but still mad keen.

When my mate got home his mum said that his dad had gone to bed in the huff

He had switched the radio off in a fit of temper when the announcer got to

"Dundee United Five...."

Needless to say he had a grumpy breakfast with a load of lies about the result until he was put out of his misery

The Real Maroonblood
My mate got back steaming off the bus and charged home to tell his dad about the game

His dad was getting on a bit - ex season ticket holder and pretty ill but still mad keen.

When my mate got home his mum said that his dad had gone to bed in the huff

He had switched the radio off in a fit of temper when the announcer got to

"Dundee United Five...."

Needless to say he had a grumpy breakfast with a load of lies about the result until he was put out of his misery

I have a similar story. My journeyman at work was a Jambo and as he seen the score coming up he thought it was Hearts 0.

The Real Maroonblood
This game sounds a stoater.

Is there any TV footage?

Someone will have it somewhere.

WorldChampions1902
This game sounds a stoater.

Is there any TV footage?

I have been deliberately ignoring previous pleas on this question but I now can't resist.

YES - footage of all the goals from this game exist (in grainy b&w) with commentary. The dilemna now is, can I locate the tape and if I can, what I upload it to Youtube given the potential copyright issues? :confused:

PsychocAndy
Some day! Some year!!!

Eddie Thomson scoring saved me from getting lifted - about to run onto the pitch after the second of two offside goals for Utd.

Back home to my mate's 21st, and he had packed the TV away for the party!!

Managed to persuade another mate to nip up the road to his place to watch the highlights! Wife-to-be says she didn't realise I was 'serious' about football!!!???

40 years later, she still says she didn't realise before we were married!!! Wonder where she thought I disappeared to that night? Surely not???

28th March got married and interrupted the honeymoon for the semi at Hampden.

1-1 v Morton - Jensen cracker!

Interrupted the honeymoon for 2nd time for replay!!!

Pity, as said before, we couldn't do it against Dunfermline.

Remember talking to Moller after the game and he was almost in state of shock at the fervour of the fans!!!

Sorry but a semi on your honeymoon, your poor wife

The Old Tolbooth

Crikey, we beat Hibs 6-5 in 1940, thank god I aint seen a derby like that, I'd have passed out!

I can barely stand the 1-0 games, never mind a 6-5!!!!:eek:

Colonel Kurtz
I have been deliberately ignoring previous pleas on this question but I now can't resist.

YES - footage of all the goals from this game exist (in grainy b&w) with commentary. The dilemna now is, can I locate the tape and if I can, what I upload it to Youtube given the potential copyright issues? :confused:

Theres a boy in Loanheid who might help with a dvd

Colonel Kurtz
You must have been for a few celebratory pints first because our game kicked off at 2 because Dundee were at home to Rangers and all the others including Hibs kicked off at 3, I seem to remember.

Aye I heard the Hibs result on the bus.

Those were the days when bus radios sounded like they had been borrowed from the French resistance.

The driver had to sign on.....The Grey cow has left the old barn

Then you would pick up crackling and a distant voice ....Septic calling,Septic calling

I didn't get up to that game. Grrrrrrrrr

BBC radio were covering the Dundee Rangers game and, from memory it was a drab affair (0 -0 ?) and they kept interupting the commentary to update us with the events unfolding 'over the road' :)

Classic

The Real Maroonblood
Aye I heard the Hibs result on the bus.

Those were the days when bus radios sounded like they had been borrowed from the French resistance.

The driver had to sign on.....The Grey cow has left the old barn

Then you would pick up crackling and a distant voice ....Septic calling,Septic calling

The buses in these days were a bit like Del Boy's jolly boys outing to Brighton.

Terrible Trio
The buses in these days were a bit like Del Boy's jolly boys outing to Brighton.

?50 and the DVD is yours

Got some other good stuff on it as well

Terrible Trio

it was Margate

The Real Maroonblood
?50 and the DVD is yours

Got some other good stuff on it as well

It must be good at that price.

Cheers for the offer but no thanks.

Cupar Jambo

Rene Moller, Kenny Garland and George Miller were the stars that day. 11 goals 2 pens and lead changing while accross the road Dundee v Huns boring 0-0. Tried to get in there for second half with all the colours on police told us TGTF. Maybe just as well. Pity about the final that year

Blacks of Corebridge

It was my first season watching Hearts and mum wouldn't let me go to away matches but remember the score coming through and watching the game on the telly. By the way my mum allowed me at one away game that season against the Hibbies That was a Great result as well:107years:

gowestjambo

Apart from Cup Final wins, and beating Hibs in Semi - best game I was ever at!!

Apart from Beating Rangers at Tynecastle in replay when Donald Ford scored!

Why oh Why did we Feck it up in the Final - (which was the worst game I was ever at!!)

Apart from Cup Final wins, and beating Hibs in Semi - best game I was ever at!!

Apart from Beating Rangers at Tynecastle in replay when Donald Ford scored!

Why oh Why did we Feck it up in the Final - (which was the worst game I was ever at!!)

Another great memory. I remember walking up the road to my house singing the hearts song at the top of my voice at around midnight after that game (and I lived in East Kilbride not renowned for it's Hearts supporters in those days.)

Packed into the school end when Ford scored. The place went mental. What a night!

Jambo in Yorkshire

I played in a juvenile match at Prestonpans and was listening to the radio on the bus back - imagine how I felt when the score came over as Dundee United FIVE..................................Hearts SIX

How many times does the home lose scoring FIVE?

And Hibs lost as well that day!!

The 5-6 game was one of the first games my friend's dad took me to. I thought all games were like that.

I learned pretty quickly....:sad:

JamboJase59

Why are you charging ?50 for a copy of the DVD that a few people( including my dad who was at the game) would like to see? Are you having a luagh or is gold plated and comes with a free DVD player !!!!

I remember the game as a wee nipper, I was at my mate's house who was a Hibby and it was the days of the BBC teleprinter to get the scores, I remember it as clear as day when the old typewriter came across with Dundee Utd 5 and my mate hitting the roof then Heart of Midlothian 6. I cannot explain the feeling that night, sheer elation.:dribble:

John Findlay
I remember the game as a wee nipper, I was at my mate's house who was a Hibby and it was the days of the BBC teleprinter to get the scores, I remember it as clear as day when the old typewriter came across with Dundee Utd 5 and my mate hitting the roof then Heart of Midlothian 6. I cannot explain the feeling that night, sheer elation.:dribble:

oddly enough although only coming upto five years old at the time I too remember reading the score on the bbc teleprinter and my dad cursing at himself for not going.

Now did Hearts not a couple of years later have a big glossy brochure with wonderful colour photos from that cup game with Dundee United? It may have been a brochure commemerating the Texaco Cup.

John

Archived