Edinburgh BB Companies

Craig Gordons Gloves

Craig Gordons Gloves

How many folks on here were in any of the BB companies around Edinburgh?

I was in the 16th Edinburgh (penicuik) from the anchor boys right the way through till i was about 15. (about 1980 onwards)

Spent many a saturday playing football against the likes of Roslin, the other Penicuik companies and then various tournies against teams from Bonnyrigg, Lasswade, Dalkeith etc. I think we beat Roslin by about 19 goals one game!

Anyone else?

i was with the 7th Edinburgh (colinton) from anchor boys all the way through to My Queens badge..

loads of fond memories. from football To Cragan.

Craig Gordons Gloves

i left before the queens badge - got my presidents badge though.

Never went to Cragan but did spend a week in north wales on camp - remember the polings!

yvonnejambo

I was in the 16th Edinburgh (penicuik) from the anchor boys right the way through till i was about 15. (about 1980 onwards)

Spent many a saturday playing football against the likes of Roslin, the other Penicuik companies and then various tournies against teams from Bonnyrigg, Lasswade, Dalkeith etc. I think we beat Roslin by about 19 goals one game!

Anyone else?

I may have been 1 of the officers when you were there. I helped with the junior section in Penicuik around 85-87

Dr Ian Malcolm

25th (Portobello) - Anchor Boys through to first year of Company Section.

3rd BB Gifford Park, then I think 1st in Corstorphine village, and also in a BB company in the Pleasance at the top of I think Brown Street. Was in 3rd because close to home, Pleasance because of school buddies, same thing at Corstorphine except they had a football team. My motivation for joining was generally they had something I wanted.

19th Leith.

I made Corporal, got my Presidents badge but had to leave before I got my Queens.

Fond memories of footy at Letham Park and winning the league for the 19th. up Latterly playing in and winning the Edinbrgh Battalion footy league cup for Leith.

"The advancement of Christ's Kingdom among boys, and the promotion of habits of *obedience, discipline, self-respect and reverence*, and all the tends towards a true christian manliness"

* I reserve the right for them to be in the wrong order - it's been 13 years!!

Anyone else?

me and my bruv were in the 58th musselburgh

run by jake murray and bob courtney

happy days, summer camping at chirnside magic

Isaac Begbie
25th (Portobello) - Anchor Boys through to first year of Company Section.

I was with the 25th too, from Junior Section to Company Section, til i was about 16. The actual BB nights were a bit strict and regimented, but the football, club nights, training, and trips to Cragan more than made up for it.

19th Leith.

Ditto. Never got a uniform, attended about 2 meetings. But had to sign up to play for the football team as they were desperate for players.

me and my bruv were in the 58th musselburgh

run by jake murray and bob courtney

happy days, summer camping at chirnside magic

Bob Courtney lives next door.......

I helped out with 25th (Porty)

I was in the 4th Leith for a while, my Dad was an officer, but I left when I moved out of Edinburgh at the end of Junior Section.

I am now though the Chaplain to the East Lowland Area Queen's Badge Course which takes in boys from Edinburgh and the Lothians, Borders and sometimes bits of Central Scotland too.

davemclaren

I had to leave the BB ( aged 15 ) after an unfortunate drinking incident on a 25 year jubilee trip to France. I maintain to this day that it wasn't me. :ninja:

I was in the 11th - based in Lochend :eek:

I also played football for the Central and Edinburgh BB select sides.

I was in the 11th - based in Lochend :eek:

I also played football for the Central and Edinburgh BB select sides.

you sound like Fordy, anyway why are you up so early

the general

the mighty 67th fae mental Stenhouse,remember a BB camp at Arbroath and paggering with the locals

the general

hmm I know he is older than me but I cannot remember him !

maroonedinoz

I ws in the 11th edinburgh for a short time too...back in early 60's and we went to Austria

Wilson was the name of the captain...

portobellojambo1

Was in the 41st (Duddingston Kirk) for a few years, back in the mid to late 60's. Football was the initial attraction I think, I remember they asked me to play 4 friendly matches for their Company Team, which was under 16 I think, when I was 8 or 9. I went a bit daft and rattled in about 25 goals in those 4 games, and they asked me if I would join the Life Boys (think they are called Juniors these days) to give them a chance of doing well in the football league, so I did, and we did.

We (the family) moved from Meadowfield to Dumbiedykes and I went to a company up the top of The Pleasance for about a year, think it was the 6th Battalion (doesn't exist now).

Carl Fredrickson

29th - Gorebridge from late 70s through to about 85.

Football was the initial draw - I loved the way that it wasnt "under 12s" etc but the total age of the team had to be less than a certain number. Meant young players playing against older guys gaining good experience.

The 29th is no longer, which is porbably a reflection on how we as a society has changed.

Craig Gordons Gloves
I may have been 1 of the officers when you were there. I helped with the junior section in Penicuik around 85-87

i think i may have moved on to the company section by then, but George Neil would have been the Captain of the Junior section around then would he not? Colin Pryde and Jim Slater were the two guys who ran the company section when i was there.

Couple of other names i remember would be Andrew Carmichael, Sandy Barrett and Nan Neil - you'd have been there the same time as me and them then?

yvonnejambo
i think i may have moved on to the company section by then, but George Neil would have been the Captain of the Junior section around then would he not? Colin Pryde and Jim Slater were the two guys who ran the company section when i was there.

Couple of other names i remember would be Andrew Carmichael, Sandy Barrett and Nan Neil - you'd have been there the same time as me and them then?

Yip George Neil was the Captain, Andrew Carmichael (who died :sad:) and another girl who I cant remember her name and myself were the folks with the juniors. BB camp at the estate in Penicuik, I got a caravan to sleep in :)

Craig Gordons Gloves

I remember those camps up at Penicuik house! I was probably there at the same time as you. I heard about Andrew Carmichael - that was sad. Most of the officers there were hibbies!

yvonnejambo
I remember those camps up at Penicuik house! I was probably there at the same time as you. I heard about Andrew Carmichael - that was sad. Most of the officers there were hibbies!

Do you know Neil and David Bon? Good wee jambos :)

I was also obviously of Jambo persuasion but there was another guy who was about who supported St Mirren! :confused:

12th Edinburgh based at Bruntsfield -- remember annual sports/exhibition nights at Meadowbank ?

Won Under 13 5 a sides in front of 1500 plus as well as Table Tennis finals later on.

Great days -- but have to say annual camps were the tops !!

broxburnjambo

1st Leith for me. Club rooms at the bottom of Ferry Road. Still friends with a few of the boys from there, and other company's in Leith.

Craig Gordons Gloves
Do you know Neil and David Bon? Good wee jambos :)

I was also obviously of Jambo persuasion but there was another guy who was about who supported St Mirren! :confused:

Dave Andrews! He used to come along to help out with the saturday morning football in the public park and then go to Paisley for the games! I don't know the Bon's - I remember Stephen Stanley, Murray Menelaous, Craig Duke (and his dad always making cakes!) and a couple of others. It was a great way to spend Friday nights and saturday mornings.

Strawberry Jam

1st Leith for me.

Was there from Anchor Boys and got my Presidents badge.

Some quality memories!

you sound like Fordy
:eek:

anyway why are you up so early

I'm working in Beijing for a couple of days. Back tomorrow. Mr and Mrs General have promised I'll get an upgrade from Club World to First. ;)

I was in the 11th at Lochend, with Mr Gordon and Mr King.

Great memories playing football on Saturdays at Arthur Seat.

Mainly Hobos as i remember in the 80s , Murray Flemming, Bongo, Beegs. to

name a few.

Hated collecting papers round the houses.:mad:

BervieJambo

Was in the 65th (Currie) BB for junior section, but went to the now defunct 42nd (Juniper Green) for company section. Got my Presidents badge & have great memories for camps at Craggan. We were dreadful at football though, being regularly on the end of a 15-0 (or so) drubbing.

Chip Douglas
Dave Andrews! He used to come along to help out with the saturday morning football in the public park and then go to Paisley for the games! I don't know the Bon's - I remember Stephen Stanley, Murray Menelaous, Craig Duke (and his dad always making cakes!) and a couple of others. It was a great way to spend Friday nights and saturday mornings.

Aye aye, how anyone can talk about the 16th and not mention Soapy, Bob and Tufty is beyond me!

Played for the footie team from about 1986-1988. We only ever seemed to play the cubs though, Roslin, 3 and 5th, 4th?

Still have memories of Craig Duke, Proudfoot, Callum Neil, Stanley, David Reid, Scott Montgomery and a bunch of others.

25th Portobello. (Joppa really)

The football and the camps were the business. My two outstanding memories are, winning the cup in a penalty shoot out against the 11th (i think) at City Park. Also getting hypathermia at Craggan after being chucked in the water off the wee pier and no going for a shower as i was told to. Happy Days.

Issac you and I must have been there at the same time. I have a very bad memory but were you a wee gadgie with curly black hair?

yvonnejambo
Aye aye, how anyone can talk about the 16th and not mention Soapy, Bob and Tufty is beyond me!

Played for the footie team from about 1986-1988. We only ever seemed to play the cubs though, Roslin, 3 and 5th, 4th?

Still have memories of Craig Duke, Proudfoot, Callum Neil, Stanley, David Reid, Scott Montgomery and a bunch of others.

Yip all these names are coming back to me and yes Dave Andrews the St Mirren fan, now I feel very old :(

Archived