John Colquhoun

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

John Colquhoun

Simply one of the finest players ever to play for the Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

Brave as a lion: Hacked to pieces on a weekly basis, JC would simply dust himself off and go again at whatever thuggish defender had just chopped him down.

Wing King: JC had invention, guile and pace. A natural winger, JC could torment the best defenders with his pace, touch and skill. He wasn't all parlour tricks though. He could whip a fantastic cross in. How many goals did he set up for Robbo, Clark, Crabbe, etc?

Skill Skool: JC had incredible close control. His ability to cut in from the wing and terrorise a central defence was legendary. Check out his goal against Motherwell from the half way line.

Goaaaaaaaall!!! : Weighed in with big goals. A brace against the Huns at Ibrox, That volley in the Semi-final v Dundee Utd, The "freak" 30 yarder v Celtic, The killer 3rd v Mostar, etc...

Vermin: Stuck it up them on a regular basis. Lobbing Bandy...At will. :thumbsup:

Musical Taste: Joy Division.

What's not to love?

Please add your own JC memories.

JC WE SALUTE YOU!!!

John%20Colquhoun.jpg

colquhoun%20scores%20against%20hibs.jpg

If we'd won it, we wouldn't have had half the column inches, or half the amount of people talking about us, or half the amount of interviews, or half the amount of media space that we've had because of what happened.

And I would trade it all, every column inch, every interview, everything, to just get a goal with ten minutes to go at Dens Park.

No question.

Because, we deserved it.

My favourite ever Hearts player.

Superb player, and was my favourite as a lad - had a number 7 on a classic Bukta strip in his honour. Absolute gent as well, and proud to say he was my rector at University.

One of my proudest (yet most puzzled) moments of recent times was when I discovered he'd been stalking my LinkedIn profile.

Premier League hat-trick

Robbo never but he did score one against St Mirren when they were in the Premier League, but in a Cup game.

Did JC though? I honestly can not remember.

I therefore say score for Hearts on his birthday.

Hearts Heritage

Robbo never but he did score one against St Mirren when they were in the Premier League, but in a Cup game.

Did JC though? I honestly can not remember.

I therefore say score for Hearts on his birthday.

One of the great games

1989111104.jpg

Fort Vallance

Very popular in the dressing room. Although apparently quite often not fit enough to train during the week but leapt off the treatment table on a Friday declaring himself fit.

The Treasurer

Not only was JC a true Hearts great he's also one of the nicest people you could meet.

I'm sure he scored on my first ever away game - a match against Celtic round around Christmas. Orange ball in all.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Premier League hat-trick

Still think Robbo scored a hat-trick against the Hibs .

joe.gausden

I remember him being at a POTY dance just as he was leaving Tynecastle. A JKB poster who shall remain nameless was in tears about him going so Jimmy Sandison had to get JC to tell him that he was going to stay :lol:

JC will always be one of my all time favourite players.

The Old Tolbooth

Still my favourite Hearts player in living memory, and an absolute legend of a guy! I love the way he defends us to the hilt and paying Celtic ?50k for his services was probably one of the best pieces of business our club has ever done, he would have been a Celtic legend had he stayed there, through time.

I wonder what his value would be if he was playing in his prime these days, he was miles better than any winger I've seen since he sadly hung up his boots.

SectionDJambo

Hat Trick away to St.Mirren in a 6-0 win.

Brilliant.

One of the best Hearts players ever, and a steal from Celtic.

eddiepolio

The best. Any of you computer wiz kids out there able to do a JC show reel? If so have plenty of tissues to hand!

Hearts Heritage

Still think Robbo scored a hat-trick against the Hibs .

Best was doubles.

For Hearts second top goal scorer He scored relatively few Hat tricks compared to WB and JW.

Though that is a reflection on The lower number of goals scored per match compared to the Halcyon days of The 1930s and 1950s.

In facts hearts scored more hat tricks in some of those years than they have scored in The last 30.

Clerry Jambo

Can only echo previous comments - JC was star material, aswell as his undoubted skill had the heart of a lion :thumbsup:

Hearts Heritage

He was asked what his best moment in football was and He said making his debut for Celtic, his boyhood heroes. He absolutely loves Hearts but still remained true to his original feelings. Unlike some others.

The Treasurer

This is one of those rare JKB moments where everyone is in agreement how good a player he was (it's even got DH saying good things about a Hearts player) !!biggrin.gif

Best ever transfer deal done by Hearts bar none. :thumbsup:

Yes,that and bringing his wee pal back up the road from newcastle :thumbsup:

Hearts Heritage

Apart from

Jock White

Jim Cruikshank

To name 2 off the top of my head but don't let history stand in the way of hyperbole.

-------------------------------

Yes,that and bringing his wee pal back up the road from newcastle :thumbsup:

Oh and bringing Niemi from Rangers. :thumbsup:

Best ever hearts song, and needs to get back on the go...

I want to be a Hearts Surporter, I want to look like John colquhoun.... I want to be a Hearts suroperter, im gonna die my hair maroon

HEARTS FOREVER

I remember him being at a POTY dance just as he was leaving Tynecastle. A JKB poster who shall remain nameless was in tears about him going so Jimmy Sandison had to get JC to tell him that he was going to stay :lol:

JC will always be one of my all time favourite players.

OUT OF ORDER!!!! :lol:

A true Hearts great!

It was his speech about his time at Hearts, the ups and the downs. makes me well up just thinking about it!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

To echo what somebody else said, my favourite ever HMFC player. Classy, classy footballer

Jamhammer

A true great. Very consistent for a winger too. Lovely fella, politically right on. What's not to like? I remember an away game at Motherwell when we played with him, Robbo and Crabbe as a front 3 and we absolutely destroyed them. Awesome.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

On the subject of hat-tricks, did JC not bag one at Love Street - 6-0 against St Mirren if I recall correctly, circa 1987/88? I seem to remember him jumping up and high-fiving the crossbar after scoring his third.

Them were the days.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I want to be a Hearts Surporter, I want to look like John colquhoun.... I want to be a Hearts suroperter, im gonna die my hair maroon

Incredible :laugh:

More of the oldies should be belted out

Hawick Jambo

My favourite ever Hearts player.

I remember when playing football that someone said I looked like JC but without the skill. Still one of the finest compliments I've ever had.

A great great player and a splendid human being who stands up for his principles and his beliefs

Goal against The Sheep up at Pittodrie in Jan 86 always sticks in my mind, JC a legend!!

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

What's the one that's to the tune of 'Oh when the Hearts go marching in' ?

Oh John Colquhoun

is on the wing

etc?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I remember when playing football that someone said I looked like JC but without the skill. Still one of the finest compliments I've ever had.

Lol, damning with feint praise.

I'd have taken it as a compliment too

Salvatori5

Very popular in the dressing room. Although apparently quite often not fit enough to train during the week but leapt off the treatment table on a Friday declaring himself fit.

That'd be to do with the kickings he received every Saturday, never have I seen a player take so much treatment from full backs yet every season he was always up there in apperance stats - usually only a game or 2 behind Henry!

Driver would probably get injured watching a JC v Celtic/Rangers performance!

Chad Sexington

That'd be to do with the kickings he received every Saturday, never have I seen a player take so much treatment from full backs yet every season he was always up there in apperance stats - usually only a game or 2 behind Henry!

:lol:

Robbo27_22

Imagine the status he would have had if his header in Munich hd gone in or he'd kept his cool one on one with the keeper?

Only time I seen him fluff his lines in a one on one.

joe.gausden

OUT OF ORDER!!!! :lol:

A true Hearts great!

It was his speech about his time at Hearts, the ups and the downs. makes me well up just thinking about it!

:lol: :lol:

You could have blamed it on gordon or bri seeing as i never named you. :lol:

:arf:

Buffalo Bill

The pick of his goals for me:

Hearts 4 Motherwell 0 Scottish Cup 1990

Hearts 1 Dundee Utd 0 Scottish Cup 1986

Hearts 1 Celtic 1 Nov 1987

Rangers 0 Hearts 2 Dec 1985

Hibs 0 Hearts 2 Oct/Nov 1993

What is often forgotten is how well he played for us in 1995/96, one of his last seasons.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Best was doubles.

For Hearts second top goal scorer He scored relatively few Hat tricks compared to WB and JW.

Though that is a reflection on The lower number of goals scored per match compared to the Halcyon days of The 1930s and 1950s.

In facts hearts scored more hat tricks in some of those years than they have scored in The last 30.

I'm claiming hat trick . Levein never touched it and the second was a deflection rather than an OG

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

A favourite song of mine, when had a few too many shandies is 'the runaway train came over the hill, all the from Abbeyhill, Colquhoun,Colquhoun,Colquhoun'

My favourite all time player

jambonian

A few years back, the Evening News used to do a "fans" column (can't remember the actual name of it) and mine was one of the ones printed. It would ask questions such as "who is your alltime favourite Hearts player and why?" type thing, Colquhoun was my alltime favourite Hearts player. Had Celtic known back in 1985 that Provan was going to give up playing football, Colquhoun would never have been anywhere near Tynecastle. So, cheers Celtic (never thought i'd ever have said that!) Best ?50,000 we ever spent.

(oh and p.s. evening news, i'm still waiting for my bottle of whisky, the prize for getting it printed!)

Hearts Heritage

I'm claiming hat trick . Levein never touched it and the second was a deflection rather than an OG

Robbo claimed enough 'dodgy' goals .....:whistling:

Hearts Heritage

One of our members sons aged about 6 thought his name was

Jonkel Hoon. :rolleyes:

Refering to him as 'Jonkel'

jambonian

The pick of his goals for me:

Hearts 4 Motherwell 0 Scottish Cup 1990

CLASSIC!

Hearts 1 Dundee Utd 0 Scottish Cup 1986

YES!

Hearts 1 Celtic 1 Nov 1987

EXCELLENT!

Rangers 0 Hearts 2 Dec 1985

YES, SHAME I MISSED THE GOALS THANKS TO STRATHCLYDE'S FINEST!

Hibs 0 Hearts 2 Oct/Nov 1993

HAPPY DAYS!

What is often forgotten is how well he played for us in 1995/96, one of his last seasons.

Archived