Press release from Rangers supporters groups

jumpship

The following is a press release related to a meeting held on Sunday 1st of May with supporter representation from many different Rangers supporters groups:

There was a meeting held today at Ibrox of over 150 supporters representing over 80 Rangers Supporters Clubs from all over the world, plus board members of The Rangers Assembly, The Rangers Supporters Trust, and The Rangers Supporters Association, and also representatives of The Blue Order, several fans forums, and the Rangers fans liaison officer Jim Hannah.

There were discussions regarding the sectarian singing problem amongst a minority of supporters at our games and how we can try to eradicate this by more stringent self-policing and making the offending supporters know that this is unacceptable at our club, and that we want to promote a more positive image and atmosphere at our matches.

It was agreed that any songs with references to Sectarian chanting as outlined by the Police and the Courts must go now and remain gone. We accepted that there is still a problem amongst a minority of our support, and while we are certainly not the only club with an offensive singing problem, we are the only ones being highlighted at present and whilst we need to clean up our own act we insist all supports must be treated the same.

It was also discussed and agreed that we need to be far more resourceful in presenting a fairer portrayal of Rangers and Rangers fans in the media, and while it is clear that there is an agenda against us and us alone, but we have not done anything about it for far too long. To this regard we have already had meetings with prominent officials from Strathclyde Police and experts in professional fields relevant to us to assist us with our intentions to create a more level playing field within the law for Rangers supporters. The time for this sleeping giant of a support to sit idly by while our enemies politicise everything we do without fear of being challenged or reciprocal action being taken is over.

The message from the representatives at the meeting was unanimously supportive, and we are confident that these messages can be taken back to the Supporters Clubs worldwide, and amongst the Supporters groups and forums, and that we can unite as one to try to eradicate the minority who persist in sectarian and offensive singing, but also challenge and expect all other club?s supporters to do the same, and we will ask the Police and the Procurator Fiscal to be vigilant with Sectarian and offensive singing from all clubs to help us to help them create an atmosphere and society where we can all freely enjoy going to the football without prejudice.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rossthejambo

It baffles me that they all seem to think it's a minority. The whole stadium was singing certain tunes in the last OF game.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're still playing the victim card that Bain's been playing for years.

it's the usual pish from the OF so i'm not that worked up about it. the thing that gets me is that it reads so poorly.

"It was also discussed and agreed that we need to be far more resourceful in presenting a fairer portrayal of Rangers and Rangers fans in the media, and while it is clear that there is an agenda against us and us alone, but we have not done anything about it for far too long."

Who puts this crap together?

speedbump

It baffles me that they all seem to think it's a minority. The whole stadium was singing certain tunes in the last OF game.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're still playing the victim card that Bain's been playing for years.

Name these tunes then.

rossthejambo

Name these tunes then.

Thankfully I'm not clued up on the titles of these dittys but I'm fairly certain they are sectarian tunes. I'm sure you have the whole list of course to prove me wrong?

Guest Dr. Pepper

"and while it is clear that there is an agenda against us and us alone, but we have not done anything about it for far too long."

Sounds like something a Hearts fan would come out with

"It is clear that there is a GFA and west coast media agenda against us and us alone"

:vrface:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I have not cried so unashamedly with genuinr empathy since Hazel, Fiver and Bigwig led their chums to safety to the heart-wrenching melodies of Simon and Garfunkle. :(

A heart-breaking story of the struggles of down-trodden vermin alone in a hostile world of dark forces hell-bent on their demise!... Watershipdown was sad too mind. :(

The Treasurer

It's only a minority.

We're no the only ones.

Everybody's out to get us.

Our "enemies" have an agenda against us.

If ever proof was needed that the OF are one and the same then this is it.

The People's Chimp

It's only a minority.

We're no the only ones.

Everybody's out to get us.

Our "enemies" have an agenda against us.

If ever proof was needed that the OF are one and the same then this is it.

Exactly. It could basically have been a sellick press release, but for the fact they refuse to admit they have a problem!

cosanostra

It's funny seeing huns play the victim card.

They clearly don't understand the meaning of the word minority either.

When your only defence is pointing the finger at others for doing the same, you don't really have any defence at all.

I hope one day, UEFA starts docking points from the filthy animals. And all the while, our very own national football association does and says absolutely nothing. The SFA are almost as embarrassing as Rangers.

Vlad-Stupid

"sectarian singing problem amongst a minority of supporters at our games"

:rofl:

"We accepted that there is still a problem amongst a minority of our support"

"t is clear that there is an agenda against us" (oh, how unjust!)

"he time for this sleeping giant of a support to sit idly by while our enemies politicise everything we do without fear of being challenged or reciprocal action being taken is over."

"we will ask the Police and the Procurator Fiscal to be vigilant with Sectarian and offensive singing from all clubs to help us to help them create an atmosphere and society where we can all freely enjoy going to the football without prejudice"

:vrface:

What a bunch of fanoids

speedbump

Thankfully I'm not clued up on the titles of these dittys but I'm fairly certain they are sectarian tunes. I'm sure you have the whole list of course to prove me wrong?

By knowing the words and the unnecessary add ons I do the difference.

Independence

The following is a press release related to a meeting held on Sunday 1st of May with supporter representation from many different Rangers supporters groups:

There was a meeting held today at Ibrox of over 150 supporters representing over 80 Rangers Supporters Clubs from all over the world, plus board members of The Rangers Assembly, The Rangers Supporters Trust, and The Rangers Supporters Association, and also representatives of The Blue Order, several fans forums, and the Rangers fans liaison officer Jim Hannah.

There were discussions regarding the sectarian singing problem amongst a minority of supporters at our games and how we can try to eradicate this by more stringent self-policing and making the offending supporters know that this is unacceptable at our club, and that we want to promote a more positive image and atmosphere at our matches.

It was agreed that any songs with references to Sectarian chanting as outlined by the Police and the Courts must go now and remain gone. We accepted that there is still a problem amongst a minority of our support, and while we are certainly not the only club with an offensive singing problem, we are the only ones being highlighted at present and whilst we need to clean up our own act we insist all supports must be treated the same.

It was also discussed and agreed that we need to be far more resourceful in presenting a fairer portrayal of Rangers and Rangers fans in the media, and while it is clear that there is an agenda against us and us alone, but we have not done anything about it for far too long. To this regard we have already had meetings with prominent officials from Strathclyde Police and experts in professional fields relevant to us to assist us with our intentions to create a more level playing field within the law for Rangers supporters. The time for this sleeping giant of a support to sit idly by while our enemies politicise everything we do without fear of being challenged or reciprocal action being taken is over.

The message from the representatives at the meeting was unanimously supportive, and we are confident that these messages can be taken back to the Supporters Clubs worldwide, and amongst the Supporters groups and forums, and that we can unite as one to try to eradicate the minority who persist in sectarian and offensive singing, but also challenge and expect all other club?s supporters to do the same, and we will ask the Police and the Procurator Fiscal to be vigilant with Sectarian and offensive singing from all clubs to help us to help them create an atmosphere and society where we can all freely enjoy going to the football without prejudice.

It is unbelievable that they keep trotting out the 'same old..' Namely that it is a 'minority' !

The problem is staring them right in the face, but they can't see it. It IS a majority and not a minority and until they accept this the problem will continue!

They now seem to be in urgent collective need of a hug

What happened to "Noone likes us, we don't care"?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I cried so hard I had to borrow a hanky from a homeless person on me way home.

super_vlad

why do all your posts revolve around the hun ? are you mistaking kickback for Followfollow?

speedbump

why do all your posts revolve around the hun ? are you mistaking kickback for Followfollow?

I think he'd be better suited to the huddleboard or kerrydale street.

I think he'd be better suited to the huddleboard or kerrydale street.

Bit of board bulling!

As for the accusation! I really couldn't G.A.F

I'll post when and where i like... :)

cosanostra

Bit of board bulling!

As for the accusation! I really couldn't G.A.F

I'll post when and where i like... :)

Post whatever you like.

We have plenty of posters who seem to be obsessed with Hibs and Celtic so having some who really hate the huns keeps the force in balance. :thumbsup:

Victorian

the statement started out quite promising but regressed somewhat back into the usual arrogant drivel.

you can't fault them for stating that they have identified which songs must be consigned to history. whether they do it or not is another matter altogether of course but at the moment they are saying the right things on that score. they also have every right to expect the spotlight to also fall on celtic for what their fans sing at games. the statement seems to allude to them being proactive with the police if certain 'political' songs arise. who can blame them?

where the statement falls down is that there would also appear to be a determination to see anyone else punished as well. it would seem logical to assume that there will be representatives looking out for any cases of banned songs and subsequent lobbying of the police and football bodies. given that they've been getting away with murder for decades and are only really now looking to change their ways because they're being forced to... it's a bit sickening to think that the poacher will be turning gamekeeper in such a ridiculously hypocritical way.

it's a case of "right we're no getting tae sing what we waaaant big man so naebody else can".

the general

What a stupid stupid reply Ross

rossmaroon

"No one likes us and we don't care" seems to be the gist of this pathetic press release...

tolcross lad

The problem for Rangers and their fans is that they have not dealt with the their expressions of sectarianism on the terracing and the club have quietly gone along with it eg the union jacks placed on seats at the last derby.That said they do have a grievance in that Celtic are the other side of the same coin but avoid the same degree of critisism.Vatican flags,"God Bless the Pope"and pseudo folk songs involving the IRA etc are extremely sectarian in the context of a football match or how about "You can stuff your poppies up your ass".The Green Brigade at Celtic Park routinely produce this stuff and are approved by the club.

The Mighty Thor

Post whatever you like.

We have plenty of posters who seem to be obsessed with Hibs and Celtic so having some who really hate the huns keeps the force in balance. :thumbsup:

It's OK there plenty more of us who really really hate the huns :thumbsup:

I mentioned it a few weeks ago in the big thread when all this kicked off - The first port of call for the 'footballing authorities' in this brave new world of a level playing field of anti-sectarianism will be????....yip Heart of Midlothian football Club. Bet yer hoose on it!

Hopefully Hearts will get to grips with what is a genuine minority of those who should know better and those that lack the intelligence to know any better and eradicate the problem before we get clobbered for it. Because we will get clobbered for it.

I really hope that the kind of ladies front garden that takes his Ma's 'King Billy' tea towel to an away game actually leaves it at home so his Ma can dry his Tommee Tippee bowl & spoon thus sparing Hearts and the club's supporters any problems. And before the 'real fan' types come on i couldn't give two shits. I'd rather that type of 'fan' did something else on a Saturday.

If we score against the tims at the game next wednesday and the majority start singing about being "up to our knees" i can see a hefty punishment tbh

It's OK there plenty more of us who really really hate the huns :thumbsup:

I mentioned it a few weeks ago in the big thread when all this kicked off - The first port of call for the 'footballing authorities' in this brave new world of a level playing field of anti-sectarianism will be????....yip Heart of Midlothian football Club. Bet yer hoose on it!

Hopefully Hearts will get to grips with what is a genuine minority of those who should know better and those that lack the intelligence to know any better and eradicate the problem before we get clobbered for it. Because we will get clobbered for it.

I really hope that the kind of ladies front garden that takes his Ma's 'King Billy' tea towel to an away game actually leaves it at home so his Ma can dry his Tommee Tippee bowl & spoon thus sparing Hearts and the club's supporters any problems. And before the 'real fan' types come on i couldn't give two shits. I'd rather that type of 'fan' did something else on a Saturday.

Outstanding stuff. I also think it inevitable that the kind of pressure being put on the authorities by the OF will lead to Hearts being put under the microscope sooner rather than later. I therefore wish that those whose "beliefs" appear to impel them to wear the same paraphernalia and sing the same songs as the Ibrox knuckledraggers would **** off and do it somewhere else.

MacDonald Jardine

the statement started out quite promising but regressed somewhat back into the usual arrogant drivel.

you can't fault them for stating that they have identified which songs must be consigned to history. whether they do it or not is another matter altogether of course but at the moment they are saying the right things on that score. they also have every right to expect the spotlight to also fall on celtic for what their fans sing at games. the statement seems to allude to them being proactive with the police if certain 'political' songs arise. who can blame them?

where the statement falls down is that there would also appear to be a determination to see anyone else punished as well. it would seem logical to assume that there will be representatives looking out for any cases of banned songs and subsequent lobbying of the police and football bodies. given that they've been getting away with murder for decades and are only really now looking to change their ways because they're being forced to... it's a bit sickening to think that the poacher will be turning gamekeeper in such a ridiculously hypocritical way.

it's a case of "right we're no getting tae sing what we waaaant big man so naebody else can".

That doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Why should they be punished if other clubs get away with offensive songs?

We also seem to be in a position now when certain other clubs' supporters, and there's a few on here, take the view that anything goes as long as it can't be labelled sectarian.

Victorian

That doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Why should they be punished if other clubs get away with offensive songs?

We also seem to be in a position now when certain other clubs' supporters, and there's a few on here, take the view that anything goes as long as it can't be labelled sectarian.

i agree that any club should be looked at if there is sufficient evidence of wrongdoing. i really don't see why it should be that any club should be immediately sanctioned - especially upon the say so of rangers fans - for isolated incidents, given that rangers and celtic have been getting away with the world's supply of sectarian behaviour for decades. it's a tough balancing act to perform.

it seems to me that rangers fans may be about to assume responsibility for policing this issue, on a wholesale scale. everybody should be subject to the same rules as rangers but it's just too distasteful to expect rangers fans to be the vehicle for such scrutiny.

no way pedro.

I take it they didn't bother consulting with experts in relevant professions who might assist them in writing sentences in proper English then? :laugh:

I thought those Vanguard Bear arsepieces were bad...

If we score against the tims at the game next wednesday and the majority start singing about being "up to our knees" i can see a hefty punishment tbh

Since the "huns" are supposedly buying up tickets in the home end, it's almost a certainty. However, will the majority shout it down? unsure.gif

cosanostra

I take it they didn't bother consulting with experts in relevant professions who might assist them in writing sentences in proper English then? :laugh:

I thought those Vanguard Bear arsepieces were bad...

Not heard that word in ages. :lol:

A quality insult in the early 1990's.

Maiden Gorgie

Just depressing, really. All the warning signs are there - it wont be until something really terrible happens until there are changes.

I just hope it doesn't involve us in anyway cos the weedja will be more than happy to drag us down with it.

it reminds me of the AIDS campaigns after Freddie Mercury's death saying it took the death of a celebrity to hammer the message home.

the sad thing is ...next Wednesday night a few mini huns will shame HMFC also.....FACT

speedbump

the sad thing is ...next Wednesday night a few mini huns will shame HMFC also.....FACT

Mini huns that follow Hearts up and down the country and abroad? Odd turn of phrase, that I still struggle to understand why people on here use.

It is looking more likely that the hooped demons could win the league next Wed.If they can win it then the authorities should already be making sure that the segregation of fans is preserved.I hear what Kenny is saying earlier in the thread re. 1986 and being in the Dundee end.With the greatest respect,mate,i think there is more potential for bother if they make their way into the Wheatfield next week.Whatever people's views are,there is history between us and them and its up to the club to try their hardest to make sure there are no away fans in the home ends.

That said,a victory for Hearts would send them scurrying back from whence they came!:thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

Name these tunes then.

The fishing thread is in the shed.

Mini huns that follow Hearts up and down the country and abroad? Odd turn of phrase, that I still struggle to understand why people on here use.

Correct.

There are many things frowned upon on here,this phrase should be top of the list.

speedbump

The fishing thread is in the shed.

Not fishing I was genuinely interested in what songs that were being sung last week he considered bigoted and for what reasons.

The main problem is that the media and authorities do tend to go for eah of the OF at a time, instead of going for them both at the sme time, which is what SHOULD be happening.

Both sides then claim victimisation and manage to get the whole thing swept back under the carpet again for the next year or so.

The main problem is that the media and authorities do tend to go for eah of the OF at a time, instead of going for them both at the sme time, which is what SHOULD be happening.

Both sides then claim victimisation and manage to get the whole thing swept back under the carpet again for the next year or so.

And even when they do go for them, they're inept, inefficient and more than a little half-hearted about it. Fighting on two fronts would only make their efforts seem even more pathetic.

This is the world we live in, sadly.

theweeyin

What happened to "Noone likes us, we don't care"?

The next line of the song?...

No surprise to see speedbump and some others defending Rangers.

But then again, I'm a Celtic lover because I ******* hate both of the Old Firm.

The Treasurer

Since the "huns" are supposedly buying up tickets in the home end, it's almost a certainty. However, will the majority shout it down? unsure.gif

If this happens then we could use the "Bain Defence"

i.e. it wasnae us it was fans of other clubs pretending to be us

Walter Bishop

Not fishing I was genuinely interested in what songs that were being sung last week he considered bigoted and for what reasons.

I'll bite....

• "No Pope of Rome"
  • "Super Rangers"
  • "Simply the Best"
  • The song with **** Bobby Sands, He`s Deid

Templeton'sUnderpants

Bit paranoid the way they word it but fairly reasonable points. They will look at it in their support and expect others to do the same. I.e Celtic are just as bad as them and we imo are the next worse in the SPL.

We need to make sure that next week anyone who starts up any sectarian nonsense is swiftly told to weesht.

Celtic are making a break for it

Celtic have privately urged Uefa to intervene in the sectarianism debate in Scottish football, with the hope of making the SFA and Scottish Premier League more forceful in tackling the problem.

In private correspondence between Celtic and the SFA, Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, has also insisted that his club does not have a sectarianism problem, in a clear effort by Lawwell to distance Celtic from the current difficulties being faced by Rangers.

Celtic have even suggested that Michel Platini, the president of Uefa, should become more proactive in a debate that is haunting the Scottish game, and which has led to Uefa taking yet further sanctions against Rangers for sectarian chanting.

It is believed Lawwell has been irked by recent references to the ?Old Firm problem? when, in fact, the chief executive believes that Celtic as a club has little case to answer on the subject.

Lawwell?s recent move came in correspondence between himself and Stewart Regan, the SFA chief executive. Significantly, Lawwell also forwarded his letter to Platini, inviting a greater participation by the Uefa president. Platini?s department has since replied to Celtic?s overtures.

Some will view Celtic?s positioning on the subject as raising the stakes in the current Old Firm debate, especially in light of Rangers? recent troubles. The Ibrox club is likely to announce this week that it will not appeal the recent punishment handed down by Uefa ? a ?72,000 fine and a ban on away supporters in Europe ? following reports of bigoted chanting.

Graham Spiers, The Times

speedbump

No surprise to see speedbump and some others defending Rangers.

But then again, I'm a Celtic lover because I ******* hate both of the Old Firm.

Who's defending them? I am looking for people to back up their accusations. Massive difference.

Archived