Jim Jefferies

Diego10

Just to clarify my own thoughts. I'm by no means suggesting he is perfect, or that he doesn't make mistakes or can't improve us more. All I am saying is he should be judged on the job he's done this time round. In that respect, I don't see how anyone can question the job he's done this season.

One example is his perceived weakness against the OF for example. We're the only team in the league who have beaten both teams. The two games at Celtic Park we played poorly, no doubt about it (though Celtic probably produced their best performace of the season against us in the 2nd game) but all 3 games against Rangers have been very tight. We could maybe have been more effective against Rangers at Ibrox but it was hardly a capitulation. Motherwell have been hammered twice by Rangers, Killie have taken 1 point from the OF and Dundee Utd have beaten Rangers. Pretty much reflective of the positions in the league in other words.

If we don't show signs of improvement again next year, not necessarily just in terms of points or cup runs, but in general play and a more balanced team, then questions are entitled to be asked about his performance. but let's base them on what he's done, not on what out perceptions of his previous record or our sense of entitlement as a suppport lead us to believe he should be doing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give you Aberdeen in the 80's......

the difference in budgest now is gigantic compared to the 80's. Ferguson could afford to bring some of the best players in Scotland to Aberdeen on sizable fees. plus squads were 16-18 men, the playing field was much more level than it is now.

Just to clarify my own thoughts. I'm by no means suggesting he is perfect, or that he doesn't make mistakes or can't improve us more. All I am saying is he should be judged on the job he's done this time round. In that respect, I don't see how anyone can question the job he's done this season.

One example is his perceived weakness against the OF for example. We're the only team in the league who have beaten both teams. The two games at Celtic Park we played poorly, no doubt about it (though Celtic probably produced their best performace of the season against us in the 2nd game) but all 3 games against Rangers have been very tight. We could maybe have been more effective against Rangers at Ibrox but it was hardly a capitulation. Motherwell have been hammered twice by Rangers, Killie have taken 1 point from the OF and Dundee Utd have beaten Rangers. Pretty much reflective of the positions in the league in other words.

If we don't show signs of improvement again next year, not necessarily just in terms of points or cup runs, but in general play and a more balanced team, then questions are entitled to be asked about his performance. but let's base them on what he's done, not on what out perceptions of his previous record or our sense of entitlement as a suppport lead us to believe he should be doing.

You may have a point but his overall record against the Old Firm is poor. I think he did not get a single win against them at Killie and got very few draws too. Killie's first game against the Old Firn after he left, I think was against Celtic, and they won.

the difference in budgest now is gigantic compared to the 80's. Ferguson could afford to bring some of the best players in Scotland to Aberdeen on sizable fees. plus squads were 16-18 men, the playing field was much more level than it is now.

Jim Leighton, Doug Rougvie, John McMaster, Neale Cooper, Alex McLeish, Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Neil Simpson, Mark McGhee, Eric Black, John Hewitt, Peter Weir.

Dont think he "bought" many !

My point is, SAF is an example of a coach who got the mentality right, the OF actually had some fear about them playing aberdeen and Utd back in those days. We go to parkhead and we roll over - everytime, I just dont think we ever beleive we can win. I think ICT probably have the best record against the OF this season, and look at their manager a former england and rangers captain - I dont think JJ installs the confidence into his teams when he goes there.

You may have a point but his overall record against the Old Firm is poor. I think he did not get a single win against them at Killie and got very few draws too. Killie's first game against the Old Firn after he left, I think was against Celtic, and they won.

which was exactly my point in the opening post. I don't care what his record was like previously (much of it during a time when Celtic and Rangers were stratospheres ahead of us and the others), he should be judged on what he's doing this time. criticism of his record this time round is fair game.

Jim Leighton, Doug Rougvie, John McMaster, Neale Cooper, Alex McLeish, Willie Miller, Gordon Strachan, Neil Simpson, Mark McGhee, Eric Black, John Hewitt, Peter Weir.

My point is, SAF is an example of a coach who got the mentality right, the OF actually had some fear about them playing aberdeen and Utd back in those days. We go to parkhead and we roll over - everytime, I just dont think we ever beleive we can win. I think ICT probably have the best record against the OF this season, and look at their manager a former england and rangers captain - I dont think JJ installs the confidence into his teams when he goes there.

I think you are right. The poster also mentioned Jose. Perhaps he would not beat them, but he would most definitely believe he could and that alone increases the possibility of it happening.

I think the fact we have so many people on here, including myself, who say so often the Old Firm are there for the taking but we so rarely do it suggests there us a problem and it is probably a mental one.

he definitely bought Cooper, Strachan, McGhee and Weir. as well as Frank McDougall, Ian Scanlon and Billy Stark. More important was he could hold on to their best players though. How long do you think guys like Black, Miller, Leighton, McLeish would have stayed at Aberdeen nowadays?

I'm not saying that Ferguson isn't a far better manager than JJ btw, but even Ferguson would have little chance of winning the SPL now imo.

The day JJ came back to Hearts is the best football related memory I have since 2006.

I'd like him to remain at the helm for as long as he is willing to work in football.

:lol: Jose would roll over the OF like they weren't there. To suggest Jose Mourinho couldn't beat the OF with Hearts is crazy.

The day JJ came back to Hearts is the best football related memory I have since 2006.

I'd like him to remain at the helm for as long as he is willing to work in football.

JJ is the best manager agaonst smaller teams with rookie managers. That's about it. Put him in charge of a first division team and he'd win the league. Just doesn't have the brain to do it at a higher level.

Getintaethem

We've beaten the old firm twice in six attempts this season.

We can't afford Jose or SAF.

JJ has only had one season in the job, his budget is a fraction of the old firms.

To judge JJ in games against the OF is a bit harsh IMO.

Getintaethem

:lol: Jose would roll over the OF like they weren't there. To suggest Jose Mourinho couldn't beat the OF with Hearts is crazy.

You think so? On JJ's budget?

We've beaten the old firm twice in six attempts this season.

We can't afford Jose or SAF.

JJ has only had one season in the job, his budget is a fraction of the old firms.

To judge JJ in games against the OF is a bit harsh IMO.

Suppose I can't argue there the only gripe I have is the manner of our defeats away to the OF. Csaba had a great record agaonst the old firm so it's very possible to go and get a result. But for us to challenge we'd need to employ a manager that can adapt to different situations and the simple fact of the matter is JJ can't.

JJ is the best manager agaonst smaller teams with rookie managers. That's about it. Put him in charge of a first division team and he'd win the league. Just doesn't have the brain to do it at a higher level.

I think he brings a whole lot more to the club than his managerial ability.

He's a genuine Hearts man. That counts a lot for me.

However - I do believe that if there's anyone in scottish football with a nogginfull of knowhow as to how to bring a league title outwith Glasgow - he's the man who's going to do it.

I think he brings a whole lot more to the club than his managerial ability.

He's a genuine Hearts man. That counts a lot for me.

However - I do believe that if there's anyone in scottish football with a nogginfull of knowhow as to how to bring a league title outwith Glasgow - he's the man who's going to do it.

See that's the problem. Yes he's a true Hearts man but it's not a reason to have him in charge.

We should have just kept Robbo then eh? :teehee: after all he's a legend.

I could be assistant? I'm a true Heats fan after all. While we're at it I'll ask Robbo if you can be a coach? :woot:

rossthejambo

See that's the problem. Yes he's a true Hearts man but it's not a reason to have him in charge.

I could be assistant? I'm a true Heats fan after all. While we're at it I'll ask Robbo if you can be a coach? :woot:

The fact he's took us to within touching distance of 3rd place in 1 and a half seasons is a dam good reason to have him in charge. Or maybe that he's managed to get the passion from the fans back again.

But sure let's assume that everyone on here thinks he should only stay because he's a Hearts legend and nothing to do with his managerial ability eh. :rolleyes:

I see what you did there - that was funny.

I guess you just ignored the part which suggested that I thought JJ was the only manager in Scotland with the capability to bring the league flag outta glasgow huh? Or did that just not fit in with your wee gag?

He's a good manager, and a Hearts man as well. Those things combined make for a pretty good package if you ask me.

What you'd gain in a margainally better manager, you'd lose in a heap of other ways.

I see what you did there - that was funny.

I guess you just ignored the part which suggested that I thought JJ was the only manager in Scotland with the capability to bring the league flag outta glasgow huh? Or did that just not fit in with your wee gag?

He's a good manager, and a Hearts man as well. Those things combined make for a pretty good package if you ask me.

What you'd gain in a margainally better manager, you'd lose in a heap of other ways.

JJ could never win the league. Neither could most/all managers in the spl. But Mixu (Twice) and Craig Brown (Motherwell) came to tynie and crippled JJ's team. Try and argue with the facts

What exactly would we lose?!? It's a load of shite to suggest you need a manager that supports the club to achieve success.

rossthejambo

JJ could never win the league. Neither could most/all managers in the spl. But Mixu (Twice) and Craig Brown (Motherwell) came to tynie and crippled JJ's team. Try and argue with the facts

What exactly would we lose?!? It's a load of shite to suggest you need a manager that supports the club to achieve success.

Neil Lennon and Walter Smith have both came to Tynecastle and Smith only won 1 courtesy of a last minute goal and we won the last 2 goals. And we all know what happened to Lennon.

TRY AND ARGUE WIFF THE FACTS :rolleyes:

You only need to see what's happened since Csaba left to see what a Hearts supporting manager and coach can do to a team.

He's not perfect, not by any stretch of the imagination, but to suggest that he's the wrong manager, as you've done countless times on here, is stupid considering how far we've come in a short space of time.

What exactly were you expecting when he was appointed?

mahgrassyshoes

JJ's team tore apart Celtic at Tynecastle and has amassed the third largest number of points in the league this year. He is still largly working with players are here from several previous managers. He's done alright. Winning the league is not going to be an easy task for any manager, and with our budget JJ is the best chance we have at it.

Mixu's team got pumped 5-0 at Pittodrie and lost twice at Easter Road. Brown has just his second Hampden humiliation of the season from Celtic and hasn't won a game against the OF since he came back to the SPL, including quite a few doings.

Measure the man over a season, not selective games.

For me, Jim has done exactly what was required from him since he arrived at the club.

We hoped he would:

Stabilise the club.

Build a strong working relationship with Vlad.

Improve the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Improve the atmosphere at Tynecastle as a whole.

Get our existing players to improve their performances.

Utilise our talented young players.

Bring in a few quality signings.

Get third place.

Have I missed anything? A decent cup run would be the obvious one I guess.

Jim has done a fantastic job of stabilising the club. He has been a calming presence for the fans due to his credentials as a "Hearts man" and has ensured that we have a team that all the fans can get behind. By letting certain players go and by bringing in his back room staff he has brought about a marked improvement to the atmosphere at the club, which has then been further improved by the arrival of players like Kyle and Elliott. Tynecastle feels like Tynecastle again.

All of Jim's signings have had a positive impact on the team and it's performances on the pitch. None of them have cost us a transfer fee and all of them are on smaller wages than the players he let go. On top of this he had the trust to promote Templeton to first team regular whilst overseeing improvements in the form of Kello, Bouzid, Palazuelos, Black, Mroweic, Suso and Elliot. He made our defence into the best in the league despite injury to arguably our best defender. He has maintained our position in third place despite constant disruption due to injury.

Will we finish in third place? I believe we will. I put the current lull in our performances largely down to wear and tear to the squad over the course of the season. Wallace is out, Kyle is out, Rudi has been carrying a knock for weeks and our midfield has been regularly disrupted by injuries to other players like Suso and Mroweic.Even Calum, whom everyone criticises, chipped in a few goals earlier in the year before he got injured. Templeton has gone off the boil towards the end of his first full season both through the absence of Kyle and the fact that defenders have now had an opportunity to do their home work on him. Despite all of this we are still in third and we are still hard to beat. I feel we will secure third before the end of the season and by the end of the summer no-one will remember this sticky patch as they will be thinking more about a trip to Europe and wondering if we can match or extend our unbeaten run in the upcoming domestic season.

If we do get third wrapped up with a few games to spare then I can see Jim starting a few more youngsters. Templeton and Craig Thomson have been regulars this year with McGowan and Robinson getting a few games recently. If we were to give out a couple more d?buts this season I think we would have done well in promoting youth players (Two regulars, three squad players, two d?buts).

The cups... well we didn't do well in the cups. Bad luck? Bad timing? I'm not going to make excuses. I think we will do better next season.

I think in the big picture Jim has done everything we could possibly have asked of him in his first full season. We have a team with a decent spirit that is hard to beat with several different players who, on their day, can be match winners against anyone else in our league. Tynecastle feels like home again and we have a manager that both fans and owner can trust. Compare this to the worst days under say Rix, Vladas, Malofeev or Csaba - even under Frail. Who'd swap?

I was pretty confident that Jim would be able to do this. He was certainly the safest choice to do so. The big question is where do we go from here?

I think the indications for next year are very positive. Injury problems to Kyle, Wallace and Driver (and Maybe even Kello's recent sore back) mean that we are less likely to have to repel interest in our best players. If we can get them fit over the summer we can be relatively confident we can start next season with our current squad intact. We might well lose Bouzid and Ruben, but both losses can be be compensated for, possibly from within our current squad (Webster and Eggert?). Their loss, along with losing a few fringe players, will free up a significant amount off our wage bill. No doubt some of this will be taken for cost cutting, but even if get say 70-80% of it we will be able to go into the Bosman market with money to spend. Jim has done very well this season bringing in experienced players who have immediately done a job for the team. He has also spent the last couple of months working on Bosman targets for next season. Contact has been made with Taouil openly, and we are expected to open talks with Sutton at the end of the season. I would imagine we will be investigating many more possibilities behind the scenes. The Bosman market this summer looks like it has many players that would suit Hearts very well and I think Jim will make between two and five quality additions to our squad this summer.

Will this be enough to take us "further" than this season. It depends on what our targets are I guess. If our targets are third in the league again and a better run in the cup then I think we will be in good shape. We should get third in the league with very little squad depth this year.A good transfer window and I think we could get third and stay in the cups a lot longer. Europe? I don't think we are ready to "mug" any of the teams we are likely to meet next year. Enjoy the trip, remember what it was like, keep it respectable and then, if the club keeps going in the right direction, as it is under the current manager, we might be able to do something on our fourth or fifth visit to the competition. Maybe not, but that should be the goal.

We'll all agree to disagree and wait to see where we are in the league next season. I hope JJ will make it work and shut me up but I've seen nothing to suggest that will be the case. Yes it's good to have a manager that enjoys to beat Hibs and the old firm as much as we do but sadly it's not always the best option.

Facts? Huh, ok.

Here's a few match reports which pretty much treat your logic with the contempt it deserves.

Browns Motherwell? Oh right yeah, this team?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8909575.stm

Mixu's Killie? Oh right yeah, this team?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9090139.stm

Must have taken a Managerial mastermind to beat such prolific forces in Scottish football - I mean, come on, same said mastermind was also responsible for this.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9172909.stm

You'd think that having someone who was capable of beating the Mighty Fearsome Well team of Paw Broon, the untouchable Killie Team of Mixu's, and CRIPPLING Waldo's teddy bears, would suuuuuuuuuuuurely be flying high in the league, just using your logic of course......

Like I said, once Vlad leaves we'll never be in a position to pay wages like this again or hold onto talent like we do. If Vlad never came Wallace Driver Temps would be long gone. Rudi and all the big name players would have never set foot in Tynie. Rangers are in the weakest position than they have been for a very long time and I feel if Vlad paid a bit over the odds for a proven and talented manager we would have a real good chance of making a bit of history for ourselves.

Like I said, once Vlad leaves we'll never be in a position to pay wages like this again or hold onto talent like we do. If Vlad never came Wallace Driver Temps would be long gone. Rudi and all the big name players would have never set foot in Tynie. Rangers are in the weakest position than they have been for a very long time and I feel if Vlad paid a bit over the odds for a proven and talented manager we would have a real good chance of making a bit of history for ourselves.

Templeton has only been in the first team for one transfer window. How could he be long gone?

rossthejambo

So it's Vlad's fault now?

I doubt it, Wallace and Driver have been injured and Temps - a long way off leaving, still has a lot to prove - he's had arguably 4 good months and I doubt had Suso and Driver been fit he would have featured quite as much?

And this talented manager - who exactly would you suggest ??

I'm critical of JJ at times always have been, but there is also no gaurantee that an expensive replacement would win us the league. I still think a change to the coaching staff would serve us better at the moment.

I doubt it, Wallace and Driver have been injured and Temps - a long way off leaving, still has a lot to prove - he's had arguably 4 good months and I doubt had Suso and Driver been fit he would have featured quite as much?

And this talented manager - who exactly would you suggest ??

I'm critical of JJ at times always have been, but there is also no gaurantee that an expensive replacement would win us the league. I still think a change to the coaching staff would serve us better at the moment.

Before they got injured they were targets, Wallace and Driver would have been away for at most 2M combined.

Jose can't even beat his local rivals with the biggest budget in world football. His all out defence tactics in the last classico, not to mention the 5-0 defeat earlier in the year, prove that he is not infallible.

Jose can't even beat his local rivals with the biggest budget in world football. His all out defence tactics in the last classico, not to mention the 5-0 defeat earlier in the year, prove that he is not infallible.

Jose is the best manager in the world at present. He's only been in charge of Real for one season remember.

Those very same tactics that put Barca out of the Champs League last season?

Before they got injured they were targets, Wallace and Driver would have been away for at most 2M combined.

So first you say without Vlad they'd be sold - now your saying the weren't sold because they got injured ? Which is it ? I'm also not sure what this has to do with JJ's management?

And well done for swerving the second question ?

Jose is the best manager in the world at present. He's only been in charge of Real for one season remember.

Those very same tactics that put Barca out of the Champs League last season?

Better than Alex Fergusson....... you sure ??

So first you say without Vlad they'd be sold - now your saying the weren't sold because they got injured ? Which is it ? I'm also not sure what this has to do with JJ's management?

And well done for swerving the second question ?

I'm not saying they weren't sold before because they got injured I'm just saying they could have as there was interested partys iirc. Which they didn't because King Vlad waits for top dollar.

The position we are in with the talent we have and the power of taking other Spl players for free, now would be the perfect time for an ambitious manager to come in before it's too late and we've missed our most realistic opportunity of making a bit of history.

Better than Alex Fergusson....... you sure ??

Well one of the best that has proved it with various clubs.

Getintaethem

And JJ has only been in charge of Hearts for one season remember.

And JJ has only been in charge of Hearts for one season remember.

I'm not comparing JJ with Jose and Fergie again. I've done that enough. :teehee:

Getintaethem

I'm not comparing JJ with Jose and Fergie again. I've done that enough. :teehee:

If JJ had Jose's budget at Chelsea or Real could he win the EPL or La Liga? :ninja:

If JJ had Jose's budget at Chelsea or Real could he win the EPL or La Liga? :ninja:

Not a cat's chance in... Wait a minute!

I think we DON`T give our own club credit enough. Through the years a threatening Hearts side has always brought out performances from the OF when they come up against us in a significant game.

In turn, it actually maybe becomes too much for us. I`ve seen much better Hearts teams, teams actually expected to win things, be well and truly turned over by the OF...oh yes...and JJ wasn`t the manager! Rangers have argubly played their best two games of the season at Tynecastle this season. Part coincidence but part of it comes from consciously knowing Tynecastle is place they could genuinely lose points, and they did once.

How many times did we win in Glasgow in the 2005/06 season? But the thing is we DID beat either of them at home but only 1 each and i`d say not winning the other games v the OF at home is more hurtful than not winning away. Look around any of the major leagues. Most of the top teams maintain a good record at home v their closest rivals.

Honing a winning mentality at any ground is a big part of bringing major success, but that has to go in hand with the talent being close to the level the OF are at and adding players to your squad who are bringing both talent and strength in mind to the table.

Celtic and Rangers expect to win at home just as we do and we`ll have to reach a very high level mentally and ability wise before we start going there regularly and getting points. Its been an age old problem at Hearts and the 50`s was probably the last time everything aligned for Hearts to go there time and again and pump them.

Only a Game

Same with OAG, don`t know what this guy wants? We all want a title or to challenge at a minimum but so much has to be right. And mentality? Maybe he should watch the 1998 cup final again, not to just remind himself of what we won back then, but look at the bottle and fight the team had while they held onto their 2-1 lead in the latter stages of the game....superb. Does that not come from the manager???

However, i wouldn`t say it solely does. Players need to stand up when they cross the white line. Look at Bolton on Sunday. Sometimes no matter what a manager does players can let you down and very RARELY this season certain players have....but still, JJ needs time to weed yet again any plauyers not up to the task.....but some wanted the magic dust sprinkled this season.

So, when we show a bit of bottle its coming from the manager, or influenced by him, and when we dont show that bottle its the players who have to look at themselves. You cant have it both ways. I think your first position was right. I think he put absolutely everything he had within him into winning that cup final and probably kicked every ball. And the players responded to his desire. That is the only way Jefferies can manage because he's short in other areas, such as tactically and creative ambitious thinking.

To me its always been his best quality as a manager and if he's lost that power, he's lost a lot.

Yes he needs to be able to put the finishing touches to the squad. To me that means as many out as he can get rid of that he doesnt need, replaced by as much quality as the outgoings permit, even if the numbers coming back in arent the same. No excuses this summer for not having the best squad we can possibly get a hold of on the money available. No excuses for lack of cover in key positions and no excuses for fielding sub standard players or players out of position. No excuses for having such a lack of balance as we have seen in many games and certainly no excuses for not having an alternative when Kyle is out of the team, because thats cost us dearly this season and it doesnt look good for whoever was driving the decision making on that particular scenario.

After the summer, it will be his squad now because he's had 3 windows to get it the way he wants it. If he's got players in the first team squad who are letting him down by not caring enough when they cross the white line then he gets rid or doesnt pick them. Its the first thing he said would happen when he walked in the door. To do otherwise is just plain stupid and represents a serious risk to his job IMO.

Hearts have been criticised for during the period of Vlad's stewardship. These criticisms have varied between nonsense, valid and all points in between. One of the more reasonable points that Mister Romanov's detractors have made is that has been hasty in dispatching with Managers. The more muppetish of those detractors will pad out the list of "victims" into double figures with the various caretakers but nonetheless the gags about the revolving door on the managers office contrained a grain of truth.

Things seem to have finally settled down. Csaba was one of the longer serving managers in the SPL by the time of his departure and Jefferies has already outlasted most of his peers from when he was appointed. I don't want to tempt fate here but the formerly trigger happy Vlad seems to have put the safety catch on.

I think this is a good thing. In the SPL managerial appointments typically last 18 months while players contracts typically last about 3 years meaning that managers are generally working with squads largely signed by their predecessor. The ability to strategically think beyond the end of the current season is something of a luxury.

Even if the board are patient and willing to forgive a fallow period most managers also risk losing the crowd. Aberdeen fans made it very clear when they thought Jimmy Calderwood had passed his sell by date, they may regret that now.

And here is the first advantage of appointing a manager with a genuine affinity to the support. They are liable to keep the crowd on side for long enough to be able to work through any tough times. That's not to say there won't be a lunatic fringe who will call for his head if falls short of perfection (it's not just chairmen that can be trigger happy) but they'll be smaller in mumber.

The second advantage is that if a manager does a lot better than should be expected then they'll probably be gone pretty soon. Craig Brown had no reason to stay at Motherwell so he jumped ship as soon as a slightly bigger club came calling. For all the talk of how Ferguson or Mourinho would do if by some wierd and unlikely circumstance they somehow ended up at Tynecastle they would be even more unlikely to hang around for any length of time.

Managers and clubs tend to quickly form and break relationships like horny teenagers. Jefferies and Hearts getting back together could be the kind of grown up, deep meaningfull relationship they talk about on adverts for match.com.

Hearts have been criticised for during the period of Vlad's stewardship. These criticisms have varied between nonsense, valid and all points in between. One of the more reasonable points that Mister Romanov's detractors have made is that has been hasty in dispatching with Managers. The more muppetish of those detractors will pad out the list of "victims" into double figures with the various caretakers but nonetheless the gags about the revolving door on the managers office contrained a grain of truth.

Things seem to have finally settled down. Csaba was one of the longer serving managers in the SPL by the time of his departure and Jefferies has already outlasted most of his peers from when he was appointed. I don't want to tempt fate here but the formerly trigger happy Vlad seems to have put the safety catch on.

I think this is a good thing. In the SPL managerial appointments typically last 18 months while players contracts typically last about 3 years meaning that managers are generally working with squads largely signed by their predecessor. The ability to strategically think beyond the end of the current season is something of a luxury.

Even if the board are patient and willing to forgive a fallow period most managers also risk losing the crowd. Aberdeen fans made it very clear when they thought Jimmy Calderwood had passed his sell by date, they may regret that now.

And here is the first advantage of appointing a manager with a genuine affinity to the support. They are liable to keep the crowd on side for long enough to be able to work through any tough times. That's not to say there won't be a lunatic fringe who will call for his head if falls short of perfection (it's not just chairmen that can be trigger happy) but they'll be smaller in mumber.

The second advantage is that if a manager does a lot better than should be expected then they'll probably be gone pretty soon. Craig Brown had no reason to stay at Motherwell so he jumped ship as soon as a slightly bigger club came calling. For all the talk of how Ferguson or Mourinho would do if by some wierd and unlikely circumstance they somehow ended up at Tynecastle they would be even more unlikely to hang around for any length of time.

Managers and clubs tend to quickly form and break relationships like horny teenagers. Jefferies and Hearts getting back together could be the kind of grown up, deep meaningfull relationship they talk about on adverts for match.com.

Jim Jefferies won`t be manager forever but what other manager, affordable or with a top 3 pedigree, is around and could at the moment do a better job? Maybe the detractors could point us to his direction?

Of course we have ambition to be better and become the best but that apart i don`t see another manager around who could, at a minimum, find consistency in league performance and give Hearts a basis to work on. Jefferies has yet to prove that i suppose in his 2nd spell over a few seasons, but no one can doubt Hearts improved season to season until the unexpected dip in 1998-99 in his first spell, but he still bounced back a season after that.

Like you point out, the Sheep probably have major regrets emptying Tangoman. I admire their desire to want better but i think it was a case of not seeing what they had and not recognising their level as a team and as a club at that current time. Its not easy taking the decision to go through transition.

Like Arsenal. Good football side with a helmet of a manager but a talented one nonetheless. But it looks like they can`t go that next step to success. Do they change manager and run the risk it could get even worse? or take he gamble that the new man could find another level.... or actually turn out the job is too big for him? All very hard decisions to make and things to weigh up, and my point is that the hounding of JJ by some is astonishing as he`s pretty much progressed us in a short period of time.

Jim Jefferies won`t be manager forever but what other manager, affordable or with a top 3 pedigree, is around and could at the moment do a better job? Maybe the detractors could point us to his direction?

Of course we have ambition to be better and become the best but that apart i don`t see another manager around who could, at a minimum, find consistency in league performance and give Hearts a basis to work on. Jefferies has yet to prove that i suppose in his 2nd spell over a few seasons, but no one can doubt Hearts improved season to season until the unexpected dip in 1998-99 in his first spell, but he still bounced back a season after that.

Like you point out, the Sheep probably have major regrets emptying Tangoman. I admire their desire to want better but i think it was a case of not seeing what they had and not recognising their level as a team and as a club at that current time. Its not easy taking the decision to go through transition.

Like Arsenal. Good football side with a helmet of a manager but a talented one nonetheless. But it looks like they can`t go that next step to success. Do they change manager and run the risk it could get even worse? or take he gamble that the new man could find another level.... or actually turn out the job is too big for him? All very hard decisions to make and things to weigh up, and my point is that the hounding of JJ by some is astonishing as he`s pretty much progressed us in a short period of time.

No they sit on their arse watching their team continue to disappoint season on season.

We've progressed yes but any manager of decent pedigree could have done that with our resourses. It's not that big of an achievement being third. That was expected. Now i'm not saying I think we should be second but JJ makes so many glaring errors of judgment it's unreal. For a man of his age he should know better!

JJ was probably the correct appointment but just because he is a Jambo it does not mean he is faultless though he perhaps has less faults than other candidates.

One of his problems is, and he is not alone, is he respects the Old Firm too much and has this acceptance that we can not beat him. I feel that we tend to target 3rd place when we should be targeting 1st even if it is unlIkely. It is a whole lot more unlikely if the players and management accept it will not happen.

As for his tactics he does seem to use the same one too often even when it does not work, something Csaba got criticised for. Yes we miss Kyle, but JJ did pursue him despite his history of injuries so it was always a possibility and JJ needs to deal with it better.

I am sure he will wrap up 3rd place so it is a step forward but we should aim for higher next season and I hope JJ can take us there. He needs to be more ambitious though and nit accept 3rd is the best we can do. The coaches and the players need to respect the Old Firm a lot less.

We've beaten them twice this season in the League!! Against Celtic I would go so far as to say it was a comfortable win.

JJ must have had some influence over these two games surely? :blink:

We've progressed yes but any manager of decent pedigree could have done that with our resourses. It's not that big of an achievement being third. That was expected. Now i'm not saying I think we should be second but JJ makes so many glaring errors of judgment it's unreal. For a man of his age he should know better!

Like who?

Not sure JJ has had the resources. Yes we have a good player budget, but we are still lacking in some areas, namely an attacking midfielder and another good striker, which is a hangover for previous mangers.

In the last year JJ brought in Kyle, Elliott, Skacel, Stevenson, and Webster. That is 4 of out top 5 scorers and our temporary captain. I will be interested to see what the next year brings.

At risk of taking the thread of topic, far from sacking Wenger, what Arsenal appear to be doing next is aping their rivals, falling under the ownership of a single foreign owner and attempting to spin themselves out inbo the kind of "global brand" that Manchester United built the template for. Amongst the company of fellow Champions League perennials and Arsenal have effectively become a "selling club".

It's kind of sad that the last English outfit at the top table that felt a bit like a real club is going the way of the rest but it's hardly surprising

Half decent article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/8455719/Stan-Kroenkes-blueprint-for-Arsenal-future.html

Archived