Racist or not?

Ogi fae Gorgie

Ogi fae Gorgie

What is your opinion of the word 'Lith' and I apologise now for using it as I personally hate it. But see it regularly used on this board.

Is it just me but I feel really uncomfortable when folk use that word I think most would percieve this as racist like using the abbreviation for people from Pakistan or China.

Thoughts and do you think it should stop? Cause I do.

Colonel Kurtz
What is your opinion of the word 'Lith' and I apologise now for using it as I personally hate it. But see it regularly used on this board.

Is it just me but I feel really uncomfortable when folk use that word I think most would percieve this as racist like using the abbreviation for people from Pakistan or China.

Aye and using that abreviation ...Scots,now then

Commander Harris

personally I think when alternative terms for nationalities are used, epecially when they are used almost exclusively in a negative context, then we are on rather dangerous ground.

I think the PC brigade have got to you.

Is Scot or Aussie also racist ?

Naw didn't think so.

But shorten a third worlder's name and oooh Mummy it's not nice.

Grow up man !

portobellojambo1

Think over the years I have come to the conclusion that there is more to worry about in life than names you are called.

Your sincerely.

The bald, fat. speccy, short knobbed couldn't give a Donald Duck bawbag of a shop front from Portobello.

If you find being called a Scot offensive then you must have a terrible life (assuming you are Scottish that is)

chester copperpot
Aye and using that abbreviation ...Scots,now then

Just some editing going on.

personally I think when alternative terms for nationalities are used, epecially when they are used almost exclusively in a negative context, then we are on rather dangerous ground.

I think this is where the problem lies with using this word, I personally don't use it, but I don't think I could go as far as to say it is racist. I could see how someone reading this board could think it is being used in that way though.

Ogi fae Gorgie
Aye and using that abreviation ...Scots,now then

Yeah agree but its always used in a derogitory term on here, if its just me fine I accept that. But bearing in mind we have always got to watch our p's and q's when going for a Chinese. Get my drift? I know what you say but there are some countries who have several 'nicknames' we used to use that we and should not use in this day and age. Its all IMO so don't want to get into arguments.

Ogi fae Gorgie
Think over the years I have come to the conclusion that there is more to worry about in life than names you are called.

Your sincerely.

The bald, fat. speccy, short knobbed couldn't give a Donald Duck bawbag of a shop front from Portobello.

Agree, I'm a ginger, how do think I feel. :)

portobellojambo1
Just some editing going on.

Ya pedantic big poof (no offence meant, and if poof is an unacceptable abbreviation please assume I meant ya pedantic big pooflander).

Naw didn't think so.

Grow up man !

:sad:

Colonel Kurtz
Yeah agree but its always used in a derogitory term on here, if its just me fine I accept that. But bearing in mind we have always got to watch our p's and q's when going for a Chinese. Get my drift? I know what you say but there are some countries who have several 'nicknames' we used to use that we and should not use in this day and age. Its all IMO so don't want to get into arguments.

Look mate Ive been pulled up alread for my spelling,but even I know therer are no Ps or Qs in China

There is a B@Q in Dundee though

Guest S.U.S.S.

For me its the unspoken venom usually behind i that i feel uncomfortable with.

Its used in such a derogatory fashion.

I've thought long and hard about this*, and come to the conclusion that I don't care at all.

*Not technically true

Ogi fae Gorgie

Naw didn't think so.

Grow up man !

Listen man its just a wee topic of conversation, read the rest of the posts, there are some other nations like Chinese people who get called other things, other nations have several nicknames for their country and the people from these countries. To even ask if Scots or Aussie is racist..well no its not. Your next point...oh and PC brigade...you obviously don't know me. But I'm not in that but was in the BB's when I was young, about 40 years ago.

Lith = Lithuanian

Scot = Scottish

Aussie = Australian

Kiwi = New Zealand

ACCEPTABLE

Yank = American

Paddy = Irish

Kraut = German

Jock = Scottish

UNACCEPTABLE

PROBLEM = SOLVED

Ogi fae Gorgie
Look mate Ive been pulled up alread for my spelling,but even I know therer are no Ps or Qs in China

There is a B@Q in Dundee though

But there is no q's at Asda. :)

Why use it when it takes a maximum of three seconds more to type Lithuanian. The correct and proper name?

Why is it always used in an insulting fashion?

I don't use it but I suppose it is up to each individual to decide if they want to use it or not. Those that do are the only ones who could tell us if they mean it in a racially insulting way.

Dirk Diggler
Lith = Lithuanian

Scot = Scottish

Aussie = Australian

Kiwi = New Zealand

ACCEPTABLE

Yank = American

Paddy = Irish

Kraut = German

Jock = Scottish

UNACCEPTABLE

:confused:

According to whom?

Colonel Kurtz
And there is no F in milk.

Nae tea for me then...

Never mind the Peter Withes,dinnae get me started on posties frae Gracemount.

It's all to do with context.

If you were jumping up and down on someones head whilst screaming "Take that you Lith bounder" then, yes, that could be seen as derogitory.

Other than that, I would take it that people couldn't be ersed typing out the full name of the country.

It's all to do with context.

If you were jumping up and down on someones head whilst screaming "Take that you Lith bounder" then, yes, that could be seen as derogitory.

Other than that, I would take it that people couldn't be ersed typing out the full name of the country.

I say, steady the Buff's Old Man!

Ogi fae Gorgie
Lith = Lithuanian

Scot = Scottish

Aussie = Australian

Kiwi = New Zealand

ACCEPTABLE

Yank = American

Paddy = Irish

Kraut = German

Jock = Scottish

UNACCEPTABLE

PROBLEM = SOLVED

You missed out the people from Pakistan and China mate the names they get called. We all know the acceptable ones . That was the point of the thread asking if people agreed with it not, not to get a lecture.

I say, steady the Buff's Old Man!

You've got to keep a stiff upper lip while handing out a thrashing to Johnny Foreigner:p

Dirk Diggler
Riff Raff. See where it says "Originally posted by" in the quoted bit? :biggrin:

:D

So the point I was alluding to in my earlier post does indeed carry weight.

I thought so.

What a load of ignorant sheite.

Jock = Scottish

UNACCEPTABLE

PROBLEM = SOLVED

I dont mind getting called Jock.

A lot of guys at work called John are known as Jock. What is wrong with Jock?

davemclaren

Jock's a bit iffy if your name is Derek or Dave. :mw_rolleyes:

Fair play...

Sweaty Sock = Jock = Scottish

UNACCEPTABLE!!

Maybe no though eh?! I like a bit Cockney Banter...

Yikes! Can I call them Cockney's? should I find out their proximity from the Bow Bells?

I cannae take this any more...PC..the world has gone BonkErs!

Jock's a bit iffy if your name is Derek or Dave. :mw_rolleyes:

Worked in London for three years and was called Jock all the time.

It was when they called me Sweaty they got a good kicking.:)

I have no problem whatsoever with the term Jock.

Sweaty Sock on the other hand. Grrrr...........:mad:

jambos are go!

Anyone on here with half a brain knows that the term lith is intended as abuse by those with less than half a brain.

Anyone on here with half a brain knows that the term lith is intended as abuse by those with less than half a brain.

I disagree.

Short for Lithuanian, nothing else.

Undoubtedly there is a lot of racism towards Lithuanians but the word 'Lith' is 100% not racist

Commander Harris
I disagree.

Short for Lithuanian, nothing else.

I agree that it is sometimes used in that way but if you search thorugh JKB, "lith" is almost exclusive used in a negative manner(although on odd occassions it is used neutrally as an abbreviation) whereas it is not uncommon for "Lithuanian" to be used in a neutral manner.

If "lith" was a mere abbreviation you'd expect the manner of its usage to be similar to that for "Lithuanian", it isn't.

I agree that it is sometimes used in that way but if you search thorugh JKB, "lith" is almost exclusive used in a negative manner(although on odd occassions it is used neutrally as an abbreviation) whereas it is not uncommon for "Lithuanian" to be used in a neutral manner.

If "lith" was a mere abbreviation you'd expect the manner of its usage to be similar to that for "Lithuanian", it isn't.

I disagree.

Anyone who sees the word Lith being racist has the problem. I've typed it myself and i don't have any ill regard for Lithuanians.

Commander Harris
I disagree.

Anyone who sees the word Lith being racist has the problem. I've typed it myself and i don't have any ill regard for Lithuanians.

I certainly don't believe that everyone who uses the word is racist, it is used quite innocently by some as merely an abbreviation. my point is that it is usually used in a negative, sometimes vitriolic manner and when nationalities are involved we should be careful what terms we use and how we use them.

I certainly don't believe that everyone who uses the word is racist, it is used quite innocently by some as merely an abbreviation. my point is that it is usually used in a negative, sometimes vitriolic manner and when nationalities are involved we should be careful what terms we use and how we use them.

I see your point but the vitriol is not aimed at the individuals because of their nationality, it's because they are crap footballers or mentalists running our club into the ground. The fact that they are Lithuanian is not an issue.

Commander Harris
I see your point but the vitriol is not aimed at the individuals because of their nationality, it's because they are crap footballers or mentalists running our club into the ground. The fact that they are Lithuanian is not an issue.

my point isn't whether there is anti-lithuanian sentiment per se on this board, I believe that the vast majority are exactly as you describe - "vitriol is not aimed at the individuals because of their nationality, it's because they are crap footballers or mentalists running our club into the ground!"

my point is simply about the use of language in expressing that opinion and why I believe the word "lith" to be problematic.

I'd be interested in a Lithuanian point of view. How do our lithuanian posters see the use of the word "lith" on this board?

my point isn't whether there is anti-lithuanian sentiment per se on this board, I believe that the vast majority are exactly as you describe - "vitriol is not aimed at the individuals because of their nationality, it's because they are crap footballers or mentalists running our club into the ground!"

my point is simply about the use of language in expressing that opinion and why I believe the word "lith" to be problematic.

If you agree that the word is used in the vast majority of cases with no malice, where's the problem? It's too ambiguos to say it's racist even if it was a tirdae against one player. It's the norm to shorten nations names to describe the nations people, we do it with our own country's name. People can say Scot as much as they want and it would never be racist.

If it was racist, we would not allow it on the forum. It's a non issue.

Independence

Having worked in deepest Kent for 36 months I hated being referred to as a 'sweaty sock' on many occassions. As a proud scot I detested this and can understand any Lithuanian being annoyed by the term Lith.

As a side isssue if you ever hear that the English are right behind any Scottish bid to win anything please believe me that this aint true. The majority in the south hate us!!!

Wake up GB

Commander Harris
If you agree that the word is used in the vast majority of cases with no malice, where's the problem? It's too ambiguos to say it's racist even if it was a tirdae against one player. It's the norm to shorten nations names to describe the nations people, we do it with our own country's name. People can say Scot as much as they want and it would never be racist.

no, I agree that it is not necessarily used in a racist manner - but I do think it is almost always used in a negative manner and this is a problem. An alternative word for a particular nationality when used in an almost exclusively negative manner will eventually become taboo. there are many historical precedents for this. abbrevations are irrelvant, it is usage that makes a word problematic.

Dirk Diggler

In my opinion that's a very naive stance to be taking.

You, with all due respect have no idea what the shortening of a nations name means outwith this country. The assumption that it's the 'norm' to shorten countries names comes from where exactly?

You've stated you don't have a problem with 'Scot'

What about '****'?

Personally, I think it's a dangerous road to be going down

*Edit* the filter has proved my point I think.

Commander Harris

Scot isn't an abbrevation - the Scots are a people group of Scotland(from the latin Scotti). "Aussie" is probably a better example of a neutral abbreviation.

anyway, like I say - it's not the fact that "lith" is an abbreviation that is the problem it is the manner in which it is used.

"****"(historically a completely neutral word) was used in an almost exclusively negative manner in the UK in the 70s and 80s and therefore took on a racist meaning(in this country at least, it still retains it's neutral meaning in many other countries).

"aussie" has not been used in a universally negative way and therefore has not taken on a racist meaning.

as JF says it is a dangerous road.

Archived