Will we ever see a player like him again?

Jambomuzz

Seeing that Ronaldo thread about him retiring brought back afew memories of Ronaldinho in his prime. People will argue that he is/was the best player ever, I dont agree, but what I will see is ive never seen anyone quite like him with the ball at his feet. Some of the tricks he would use week in week out were fantastic, his control with the ball and being able to make it do whatever he wanted was impeccable. What Im wondering is, will we EVER see someone like him again in the game?

People say messi is amazing, but his game centrals around his amazing balance and close control, I wouldnt say he is the most "skillfull" in the game, although he is still THE BEST i've ever seen! Then theres Ronaldo, who does have some skill but really its the step overs and his pace that he uses, nothing like the tricks Ronaldinho could produce.

Thoughts?

Charlie-Brown

Brazilian football fans polled Romario as their best player of the last 25 years - ahead of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, R.Carlos & others.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Brazilian football fans polled Romario as their best player of the last 25 years - ahead of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, R.Carlos & others.

Can someone post a link to this poll. I can't find it anywhere.

kingantti1874

roanldinho nearly signed for st mirren on a temporary basis before he went to psg as his transfer was delayed... now that would have been funny

but was romario as skillfull with the ball at his feet as ronaldino, I cant really comment on him ive never really seen him play.

jamboinglasgow

There is high hopes in Brazil for a 19 year old who plays for Santos called Neymar. He turned down a move to Chelski in the summer to spend a bit mire time in Brazil. Has just won the South American under 20 championships and was the competitions top scorer with 9. Has 2 full caps and a goal. The Barca chief scout has even said he would be an ideal player for the club.

Cristiano is the closest we have at the moment. The original Ronaldo was like a cross between Cristiano and Drogba. He had the pace and the skills and the touch, but he also had incredible power. Unlike a lot of the recent Brazilians he had a focus to everything he did on the pitch. Tricks were only to make his path to goal easier, not to please sponsors. The stranglehold Nike have on Brazil may well have a negative impact on the way their players develop.

I really hope we do see someone similar, but I guess as with all the greats, you never see anyone quite like them again, that's what makes them great.

I think the skill is what football is all about, it entertains the fans, especially the younger kids at school, I experienced it as i was pretty young when ronaldinho became famous for his tricks. I must have been about 10 years old, and as soon as you seen him do a trick on T.V when you were next out playing football EVERYONE would be wanting a shot of the ball to try the trick themselves. It made me enjoy playing and watching football becuase it was just fasinating watching him and the things he could do with the football and wishing I could do it. Even to this day 8/9 years on, i still cant do the trick where he flicks the ball to th outside then cuts it back inside. Absolutly AMAZING.

Seeing that Ronaldo thread about him retiring brought back afew memories of Ronaldinho in his prime. People will argue that he is/was the best player ever, I dont agree, but what I will see is ive never seen anyone quite like him with the ball at his feet. Some of the tricks he would use week in week out were fantastic, his control with the ball and being able to make it do whatever he wanted was impeccable. What Im wondering is, will we EVER see someone like him again in the game?

People say messi is amazing, but his game centrals around his amazing balance and close control, I wouldnt say he is the most "skillfull" in the game, although he is still THE BEST i've ever seen! Then theres Ronaldo, who does have some skill but really its the step overs and his pace that he uses, nothing like the tricks Ronaldinho could produce.

Thoughts?

I am not sure that many will argue this. Whilst he was a very good player, to suggest he could be the best ever is ludicrous IMO.

Oh, and I recognise that is not what you are saying.

As for the question in the OP, the answer is "yes".

I have only seen him once in the flesh and I thought he was a dirty hacking bar steward. 5 foul at least on Karra then scores 2 goals when he should have been sent of.

A part from that a brilliant player

You would struggle to think of a more entertaining player. Some of the things he did with the ball (and probably still could if he could be bothered) were amazing.

Really? Why didn't you mention that before? :unsure:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Brazilian football fans polled Kevin Smith as their best player of the last 25 years - ahead of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, R.Carlos & others.

Archived