Paul Scholes - Best midfield player in England since the Premiership was formed.

vegas-voss

10 times the player Steven Gerrard is and ever will be in my opinion.Once again Gerrard fails to shine againts UTD and once again even at the ripe old age of 34 Scholes bossed the game.What has Gerrard got bar except that wonder shot of his.

10 times the player Steven Gerrard is and ever will be in my opinion.Once again Gerrard fails to shine againts UTD and once again even at the ripe old age of 34 Scholes bossed the game.What has Gerrard got bar except that wonder shot of his.

I think that Roy Keane at his best had something extra which could lift a whole side.

But Scholes has been a magnificent player. Just posted on the other thread that this was England's biggest mistake in modern football, building the England team round Beckham rather than Scholes.

I think Gerrard is a super player too. I think Alex Ferguson would have loved him in his Man United side.

what about the wee magician. gianfranco zola. top class! along with zvonimir boban one of my favourite players to watch ever.

what about the wee magician. gianfranco zola. top class! along with zvonimir boban one of my favourite players to watch ever.

Zola was good, but i dont think he's anywhere near as good as some people make out

Not sure about the best but I would agree he is better than Gerrard.

Players who have a habit of scoring great goals always get overhyped and Stevie G is certainly one of those players. Rarely puts in a effective performance against United, Arsenal and Chelsea as well.

kennygarland1

Bryan Robson was THE complete midfielder,the man had everything in my opinion and had or has no equal.

am i the only the one who thinks carrick is not only one of the best mids in prem but world? seems to be completely aware, not be rushed on ball (ie zidane, scholes) pinpoint passing in air and ground. hate man u and their fans especially with a passion but must commend fergie on his eye for a player even if he does spend a shed load to buy em.

utter, utter joke fabio doesn't think he is in top 30 in england. mclaren would have got slaughtered for that decision. led king too

jack D and coke

Players who have a habit of scoring great goals always get overhyped and Stevie G is certainly one of those players. Rarely puts in a effective performance against United, Arsenal and Chelsea as well.

Don't think i've ever seen him play really well for England either bar maybe that freak 5-1 drubbing of Germany. Don't get me wrong i think Gerrard is a cracking player but Scholes is without doubt the best midfield player since the inception of the premiership with probably only Giggs coming close.

am i the only the one who thinks carrick is not only one of the best mids in prem but world? seems to be completely aware, not be rushed on ball (ie zidane, scholes) pinpoint passing in air and ground. hate man u and their fans especially with a passion but must commend fergie on his eye for a player even if he does spend a shed load to buy em.

utter, utter joke fabio doesn't think he is in top 30 in england. mclaren would have got slaughtered for that decision. led king too

Carrick is brilliant aswell best midfield trio in a long time Anderson,Scholes and Carrick.

Carrick is brilliant aswell best midfield trio in a long time Anderson,Scholes and Carrick.

Hargreaves isn't bad either...

Lovely attacking blend in that 3, but no real ballwinner. Carrick is expert at intercepting the ball, but it not really a tackler.

Ferguson seems to bring in Fletcher when he needs someone to do a more defensive job.

I think Anderson is going to be a fantastic long term replacement for Scholes. Ferguson looks to have done it again with buys of Anderson and Nani. And how good does the Ronaldo buy/new contract look now.

p.s bryan robson - man u's mcstay. won f all, few goals scored but still has songs sung in his name!

3 FA Cups, two league titles and a Cup-winner's Cup? Hardly won f all!

A great player but probably the worst tackler ever.

Shocking.

:)

I remember reading an interview with Roy Kene were they talked about Scholes tackling.

Keane basically sad that Scholes can tackle perfectly and does so in training. When it comes to a match though he delibretely sets out to go through players to put them of their game. It's a tactic to put others off and insure that he doesn't get kicked himself. Keane said Scholes has got away with murder throughout his career because he looks so inocent all the time, but he knows exactly what he's doing!

Obviously this has backfired on him at times (Champions League semi).

Thinking back though, how many times has he just continued playing while lots of other players get all aggressive and frustrated. He certainly managed to get under the skin of many an opposing player by being a silent hard man.

rudi must stay

definatly a very underrated player, probably cos he is not a glamorous type of player like Rooney or Ronaldo. As for him being one of the best in the world i'm not sure he drifts in and out of games. Absolutely right he should be in that England team, he's probably not though cos him and Hargreaves are pretty similar

Rudolf's Mate

Viera was good on his day though sometimes was overshadowed by Keane when playing against each other.

Carrick is class & getting better with each game. Cesc is another who is a very good player however for me I'd probably go with Scholes.

loveofthegame

Hard to see past Scholes or Gerrard

To say Scholes was 10x better than Gerrard is absolute bull****. The things Gerrard can do and has done with a football on the very biggest stages at least equal what anyone else has done imo. Gerrard has drive, pace, work rate combined with an incredible engine, passing ability and a great shot.

I'd say Scholes and Gerrard are 2 rare examples of the 'complete' midfielder.

Oh and im a Utd not Liverpool follower

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 FA Cups, two league titles and a Cup-winner's Cup? Hardly won f all!

I don't think he can take much credit for the league titles or the 94 FA Cup.

gorgie rd eh11

He's put in a few decent performances in europe, including a match winning performance in a champions league final. Also six champions league games against chelsea without being on the losing side.

Paul Scholes has been a great player by the way, no arguement there.

Nelly Terraces

I think Audrey's a better midfield player than all of those mentioned so far.

I'll get me coat.

rudi must stay
Hard to see past Scholes or Gerrard

To say Scholes was 10x better than Gerrard is absolute bull****. The things Gerrard can do and has done with a football on the very biggest stages at least equal what anyone else has done imo. Gerrard has drive, pace, work rate combined with an incredible engine, passing ability and a great shot.

I'd say Scholes and Gerrard are 2 rare examples of the 'complete' midfielder.

Oh and im a Utd not Liverpool follower

definatly Scholes is a complete midfielder, he controls games and has a real knack of scoring, his passing is brilliant too.

Gerrard is not though he scores brilliant goals but he doesn't control games, that's why Liverpool have Mascherano in the team, basically to do what Scholes does

gorgie rd eh11
definatly Scholes is a complete midfielder, he controls games and has a real knack of scoring, his passing is brilliant too.

Gerrard is not though he scores brilliant goals but he doesn't control games, that's why Liverpool have Mascherano in the team, basically to do what Scholes does

And having Roy Keane in the team was when Scholes was at his very best.

rudi must stay
Sih detboudnu tnelat ylbaborp llits t'neseod ekam pu rof eht tcaf taht ll'eh syawla eb regnig. ):

true, even though it's backwards. Any reason for that?

loveofthegame

I'd kind of beg to disagree mate. Mascherano is to Gerrard what Keane was to Scholes.

They are both world class and will go down in history. The only thing you can pull apart is that Scholes has played in Sir Alex's Utd side all his career where as Gerrard has been 'stuck' at Liverpool.

Scholes' 7 Prem winners medals are the 1 thing that Gerrard will never have. However i refuse to believe that had Gerrard played in place of Scholes' in the Utd team that they would not have won these titles.

A quick look at all their other stats and its near impossible to tear the 2 apart. Both twice FA Cup winners, both 1 time Champs league winners(although Scholes missed the final and Gerrard single handedly won it for 'Pool).Both twice League Cup winners i think 2.

Scholes has 14 Int goals to Gerrards 12, although Gerrard scored more in the finals of Competitions. He also carried England through the 2006 Group stages with massive goals against Trinidad(when England were really struggling to break them down) and Sweden.

Both have similar goal ratios for their clubs, only diff again being Scholes has played in a more successful team all his career.

Gerrard also has 7 years on Scholes and will almost certainly(injuries apart)go on to score more goals, gain more caps and will almost certainly win a few trophies on the way.

All that said Scholes will hopefully get the chance to play in a Champs League final this year and may well win an 8th league title(quite incredible).

Basically all im trying to say is there is very little, if anything to choose between them on ability as football players. Both at the very very top of their sport so the debate is kind of meaningless, but fun.

The one thing Scholes can never have taken away from him though are the Premiership medals already in his cabinet.

2 top players, 1 of whom has played alongside much better players his whole career

S'ti a emahs taht Lien Enalrafcam t'nsah dah eht ecnahc ot tset flesmih htuos fo eht redrob, ro d'eh ylerus eb ni htiw a tuohs.

rudi must stay
I'd kind of beg to disagree mate. Mascherano is to Gerrard what Keane was to Scholes.

They are both world class and will go down in history. The only thing you can pull apart is that Scholes has played in Sir Alex's Utd side all his career where as Gerrard has been 'stuck' at Liverpool.

Scholes' 7 Prem winners medals are the 1 thing that Gerrard will never have. However i refuse to believe that had Gerrard played in place of Scholes' in the Utd team that they would not have won these titles.

A quick look at all their other stats and its near impossible to tear the 2 apart. Both twice FA Cup winners, both 1 time Champs league winners(although Scholes missed the final and Gerrard single handedly won it for 'Pool).Both twice League Cup winners i think 2.

Scholes has 14 Int goals to Gerrards 12, although Gerrard scored more in the finals of Competitions. He also carried England through the 2006 Group stages with massive goals against Trinidad(when England were really struggling to break them down) and Sweden.

Both have similar goal ratios for their clubs, only diff again being Scholes has played in a more successful team all his career.

Gerrard also has 7 years on Scholes and will almost certainly(injuries apart)go on to score more goals, gain more caps and will almost certainly win a few trophies on the way.

All that said Scholes will hopefully get the chance to play in a Champs League final this year and may well win an 8th league title(quite incredible).

Basically all im trying to say is there is very little, if anything to choose between them on ability as football players. Both at the very very top of their sport so the debate is kind of meaningless, but fun.

The one thing Scholes can never have taken away from him though are the Premiership medals already in his cabinet.

2 top players, 1 of whom has played alongside much better players his whole career

well thought out post there. Don't agree with the he's played alongisde better players argument though, those seemingly terrible players won the Champions League in 04/05 there's no competition harder than that to win.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
well thought out post there. Don't agree with the he's played alongisde better players argument though, those seemingly terrible players won the Champions League in 04/05 there's no competition harder than that to win.

There certainly is, and it's called the Premier League

rudi must stay
There certainly is, and it's called the Premier League

champions league is harder to win imo. The teams are of a better standard

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Only at the sharp end

You can fluke it though.....you need to be winning week in week out for a year to win the Premier League.

I think the Champions League is much easier to win then any top league. Hence why teams like Liverpool and Porto have won it, and Monaco have made the final

rudi must stay
I think the Champions League is much easier to win then any top league. Hence why teams like Liverpool and Porto have won it, and Monaco have made the final

you need to be a good team in the first place though to qualify for it

you need to be a good team in the first place though to qualify for it

Not really. Look at the Old Firm. Easy to get into it from their point of view and in the last 3 years both have reached the last 16. In terms of Europe, they are really poor quality teams.

rudi must stay
Not really. Look at the Old Firm. Easy to get into it from their point of view and in the last 3 years both have reached the last 16. In terms of Europe, they are really poor quality teams.

they have reached the last 16 cos they are difficult to win against at home, same goes for Liverpool. They also play sensible games away from home so imo you can fluke through it. You still need to score though

jambo walesy

Paul Scholes was absolutely different class against Liverpool at the weekend.

I had this argument with my mates the other week about who was currently the best central midfielder in the prem and the majority still say Scholes,for his age he is world class.I still think Carrick could turn out to be one of United's all time great midfielders however, if he could get his tackling a bit stronger and start scorring a few more goals a season then he would be the complete player.

I was at the Dunfermline vs Man U Testimonial game and Scholes was a joy to watch - a master class in passing all night long!!!

Although, clearly not playing against much in the way of opposition his passing was really something. Consistently sticking the ball onto the toes of players who were 50-60 yards away.

Seemed to have all the time in the world as well!!

Scholes, Rooney and Giggs just took the p**s that night, continually playing triangles with each other!

Wes Brown was also impressive, he is very quick across the turf.

Denny Crane

A competition so easy that Man Utd have only won it twice compared to Liverpool's five.:rolleyes:

artfuldodger

what gerrard has is he has played in and scored in a european cup final .granted scholes is and was quality but if you dont recognise gerrard as a woderful player you should not frequent footy message boards.

Placid Casual

:wacko:

p.s bryan robson - man u's mcstay. won f all, few goals scored but still has songs sung in his name!

This is a wind-up, right?! :wacko:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Scholes is an amazing player to watch.

It's said all the time but you really should give kids videos of his games to watch, would learn a lot.

Few harsh comments towards Gerrard, he is also an excellent midfielder, one of the best.

Perhaps more dynamic than Scholes?

Scholes was a great player. He is now an occasionally great player.

Steven Gerrard, whilst being decent, is the most overrated player in the whole universe.

IMO.

PsychocAndy

Whilst Scholes is fantastic and Gerrard is Vinnie Jones with a shot, it has to be Keano.

BTW don't care for Man U or Liverpool.

The best league in the world, IMO, is the SPL. Why because Hearts play in it and every game means something to me.

jambo_ellen
A competition so easy that Man Utd have only won it twice compared to Liverpool's five.:rolleyes:

Liverpool have only won the champions league once. They won the rest when it was the European cup.

You could win the champions league only winnng 4 games technically.

Buffalo Bill

I remember when Alex Ferguson was asked about the possibility of Scholes leaving Utd.

- "Only if Oldham come in for him" was Fergie's response.

A truly great little player.

Buffalo Bill

Archived