Paul Scholes - Best midfield player in England since the Premiership was formed.

vegas-voss

gorgie rd eh11
Whilst Scholes is fantastic and Gerrard is Vinnie Jones with a shot, it has to be Keano.

BTW don't care for Man U or Liverpool.

The best league in the world, IMO, is the SPL. Why because Hearts play in it and every game means something to me.

Vinnie Jones with a shot!!!

I hope you're joking. If not, have you ever thought about watching any other sports.

First night back at my work last night and there are a few Liverpool fans there.You just can't say anything against Gerrard even if it is just a little dig but they go off there head and start screaming and shouting this and that at you,makes it even worse when you start pishing yourself at them.They really do bite still i suppose Gerrard and Torres is all they have to shout about.Pity Ferdinand and Scholes had both on toast.

loveofthegame

I hope you're joking. If not, have you ever thought about watching any other sports.

It really was an embarrassingly bad comparison!

And Torres is Elliot with long hair....

A competition so easy that Man Utd have only won it twice compared to Liverpool's five.:rolleyes:

Compared to winning the league 10 times in the past 18 years ;)

Buffalo Bill

I don't really understand the whole Liverpool/Man Utd thing.

They're both massive clubs that have won (and will continue to win) a hell of a lot of trophies.

It's like Maria Sharapova and Anna Kournikova arguing over who has the better second serve. It doesn't really matter, in the bigger scheme of things.

Buffalo Bill

They're both massive clubs that have won (and will continue to win) a hell of a lot of trophies.

It's like Maria Sharapova and Anna Kournikova arguing over who has the better second serve. It doesn't really matter, in the bigger scheme of things.

Buffalo Bill

Do you understand the Hearts/Old Firm thing?

John Findlay

Buffalo Bill

You have to understand the English football fraternity to understand certain things in English football.

Norwich v Ipswich is seen as a derby game although both places are 60 miles apart. Colchester is closer to Ipswich.

On the south coast there are four teams whom when they play against each other it is regarded as a derby game. Portsmouth, Southampton, Brighton and Bournemouth. Although Brighton and Bournemouth are nearly 100 miles apart.

So many see Liverpool and Man Utd as a derby as both cities in old money where in Lancashire with one city at one end of the east lancs road and one at the other. Rivalry reall grew in the very early 60s when Liverpool were promoted back to the then old English first division. Both had Scots as managers who were both football fanatics. The late Bill Shankly at Liverpool and the late Sir Matt Busby at Old Trafford. Both were born winners though not always winners. To date Liverpool have been the most successful trophy wise. Man utd more so in the modern era ie when Sky owned English football since 1992. Alas many dont realise that English football started long before that and in truth both clubs have rich histories. In the true sense of the term derby game. Liverpool's is against Everton and Man Utd's against Man City.

For a country with a strong football tradition(alot of it built by Scots) true derby games only occur in Bristol, London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Stoke, Liverpool and Sheffield. Note six of these cities are north of London which I think is proof real enough as to where the real power in English football has always lain. Despite the national stadium being in London and the HQ of the FA being there. Though the English league did have it's headquarters at Lytham St Anne's and the English league football museum is at Deepdale the home of Preston North End. PNE being one of the founder members of the English league and the first club to ever do the English double of league championship and FA cup. Earning them the nickname of the invincibles.

John(prattling on again as usual)

am i the only the one who thinks carrick is not only one of the best mids in prem but world? seems to be completely aware, not be rushed on ball (ie zidane, scholes) pinpoint passing in air and ground. hate man u and their fans especially with a passion but must commend fergie on his eye for a player even if he does spend a shed load to buy em.

utter, utter joke fabio doesn't think he is in top 30 in england. mclaren would have got slaughtered for that decision. led king too

Got to agree with you on this one. When SAF first signed Carrick for ?16m I was thinking the same as everyone else...is he worth it?! The lad has certainly proved it! One of my most favoured Utd players! Why he is not in the England team I have no idea!?

Also got to agree with the OP. Scholes for me has it all. Of course he can't tackle, he never has done!! You can't teach an old dog new tricks but how often do you see him giving away a foul in stupid places? Hardly ever!!

Unfortunatley I was too young to remember Bryan Robson playing but heard so many times from various people that he was the complete midfielder.

Walter Payton
First night back at my work last night and there are a few Liverpool fans there.You just can't say anything against Gerrard even if it is just a little dig but they go off there head and start screaming and shouting this and that at you,makes it even worse when you start pishing yourself at them.They really do bite still i suppose Gerrard and Torres is all they have to shout about.Pity Ferdinand and Scholes had both on toast.

Know what you mean mate- I had a Liverpool supporting mate ask me what I thought of the Mascherano sending off. When I told him I wasn't surprised and that Mascherano had been foolish in repeatedly running up to the referee to argue, my mate was raging! Don't think there's a more blinkered set of fans in English football.

Millfield_Mackem

I can't see past Keane as the greatest ever midfielder in the Prem. That performance against Juventus in 1999 was possibly the greatest performance i have ever witnessed

artfuldodger

my honest assesment of this topic is(as a liverpool fan ,after hearts)there arte only 2 really big clubs in england .and right now man u are catching up(arsenal and chelsea have miles to go)the 2 really big teams down south will dominate that league for years to come

DemonCleaner

Unfortunatley I was too young to remember Bryan Robson playing but heard so many times from various people that he was the complete midfielder.

yeah i've heard that too although i'm too young and only know him as a rubbish manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQZHSKtpqQ

this scholes song to the tune of eye of the tiger the comentator sings is a different class

PsychocAndy

Vinnie wasn't as bad as people make out and Gerrard isn't as good as people make out, but your right there is a massive gulf between the 2.

If Jones had made half the brutal tackles that Gerrard has made,de-nading Gary Naysmith comes to mind, the media down south would have had him hung drawn and quartered and everyone knows it.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I can't see past Keane as the greatest ever midfielder in the Prem. That performance against Juventus in 1999 was possibly the greatest performance i have ever witnessed

You obviously never seen Neil McCann in the league cup final v Rangers then. ;)

Has to be Scholes for me too. The guy is just head and shoulders above the rest and has been a very consistent performer all his career.

I think United could be in a bit of trouble when decides to hang up his boots, as out of the rest of their current central midfielders (of which they have obvious talent) I can't see anyone with the ability to control a game like he does.

Fergie would do very well to get his hands on Modric of Croatia imo, though it appears that he has mind set on Barca.

You obviously never seen Neil McCann in the league cup final v Rangers then. ;)

I second that.

Doubling up on him didn't make a difference either!

Seymour M Hersh

I never quite understood the fawning over Robson. Is/was known as captain tampax. In for 1 week and out for 3. Would not have been able to live with Souness (at his peak late 70's early 80's) or Ray Kennedy.

PsychocAndy
I never quite understood the fawning over Robson. Is/was known as captain tampax. In for 1 week and out for 3. Would not have been able to live with Souness (at his peak late 70's early 80's) or Ray Kennedy.

He'd have been out for the season if he shook hands with Billy Bremner

Archived