Craig Gordon MOTD (merged)

Walter Bishop

Rudi's Left Peg

From Steve Bruce's post-match comments he was certainly less than happy with CG. Could see Mignolet getting another run in the team considering he did pretty well while Craig was out with his broken arm earlier this season.

Steve Bruce called him a world class goalkeeper only a month ago after his wondersave, everyone here had the tissues out, he has a couple of errors and now he should be dropped?

Drop Reina, Van der sar, Cech and Gomes then as they have made more errors than him this season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the goalie feels obliged to come out and do something but i wonder if he was just best staying put when there`s that many bodies in there attacking the ball?

How is one man going to knock away 4 or 5 6ft bruisers going for the ball? Stay put and wait on any scraps i think unless the ball is right on top of him that he can come for it.

Thunderstruck

Did he not come way out of the box against Chelsea only for the forward to knock it past him into an empty net. Just the sort of thing that Kello got slaughtered for last season.

CG is a very good keeper but it is short sighted to say he has no weaknesses. In his time at Tynecastle he would impress with incredible agility and reach while still being able to block a shot straight to the feet of an opponent or getting lost in the goalmouth melee. It is disappointing to see that the negative sides of his game can occasionally reappear.

Johanes de Silentio

Shall I tell you the real problem with Craig Gordon?

It's not the transfer fee...

it's that he is Scottish!

That's right - I went there!

It's very hard to be a good GK let alone a great GK without a settled defence. Sunderland fan I know says they've played with different CB pairings on countless occasions this season and yet CG has still had plenty of clean sheets.

To me Gordon is a GK who stops shots and a keeper of that style tends to let his CBs be challenging for the crosses. Gordon's problem at Stoke was that the ball was coming right in on top of him and both he AND his CBs were getting bullied by the Stoke players. It's something Sunderland as a team need to improve on as the GK cannot do it alone.

Some good posts where obviously the authors have managed to see beyond the obvious and have taken in the circumstances re Gordon's performance vs Stoke, and him in general. He is definitely one of the best in the EPL - I may be a bit biased but I do try to be as objective as I can, and that's coming from somebody who wastes far tooooo much time watching the EPL in these far away beautiful wastelands - probably average 4-6 live games per week so I feel I've got a pretty good feel for the ins and outs of the various keepers plying their stuff in England. Add to that the fact that I've got a vested interest in specifically watching keepers for comparisons with Gordon.

Paranoid Android's post above about him being Scottish may sound just that, paranoid, but I'd say there's probably a bit of unprovable foundation there. Joe Hart, being the young English golden boy is way over-rated - don't get me wrong, he's been pretty good over th past two seasons with the Brummies and Citeh but he's not as good as Gordon ... he may well be in the future but hey, as Sly would sing in my fav version of the song '... its not ours to see'.

Circumstances right now appear to be contriving against Gordon in his deserved step-up to a bigger club. Irrespective of him being a Jambo his abilities should be show-cased on at the top level for all of us to enjoy.

Archived