Craig Gordon MOTD (merged)

Walter Bishop

Selkirk_Jambo

Still not grasped the concept yet have you? I think he's good, he was murder today and sold the buns for a goal on tuesday. IE he's not been at his best in the last 2 games.

The concept is all too clear, I'm afraid, your idiocy preceeds you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the highlights tonight, but I do remember 3 weeks ago. Everyone has a bad day at the office....

CG

But didn't let in 5 for Blackpool, 4 for Arsenal or Newcastle, 4 for Blackburn and only equalled letting in 3 for Everton, West Brom and Wigan.

Best keeper in the Prem

Forget Webster chat, any 'Hearts' fan who slags Gordon, immediate Hobo

How does slagging the Suderland goalkeeper make you a Hobo? I wouldn't even call it slagging actually it's called giving your opinion on his performance today and today he was below par.

Selkirk_Jambo

How does slagging the Suderland goalkeeper make you a Hobo? I wouldn't even call it slagging actually it's called giving your opinion on his performance today and today he was below par.

You dont think Craig Gordon is worthy of a bit more respect than the 'Suderland goalkeeper'?.

The tone is obvious to be fair.

Arthur Morgan

Craig Gordon didn't have one his best games today, that is pretty clear to see. I don't think 1 dodgy game takes away from the fact that he is a quality goalkeeper, capable of playing for a better team than Sunderland.

He isn't the first and won't be the last goalkeeper to struggle aerially with Stoke and their set pieces. I think Pepe Reina has had a few bad games there.

The concept is all too clear, I'm afraid, your idiocy preceeds you.

Have you been drinking? He had a mare against Stoke and sold the buns for 1 goal against Chelsea. Is that hard to follow? His past 2 performances haven't been up to his usual standards.

Craig doesnt come off his line and with the way Stoke put balls into the box it wasnt a surprise that he struggled.Stoke had clearly cottoned onto the fact that Gordon was staying on the goal line and continually pressed right up with players right in his face,all in all a very uncomfortable afternoon for him.

No keeper is faultless and plenty of them will be found lacking when Stoke repeatedly launch missiles into the area.

Today is not the game to judge CG on.

And BTW, Gordon is miles in front of Shegger

Was going to read the thread right through before pointing this out if nobody else had. Not one goalkeeper comes away from Stoke having had a good game. Stoke are cheats (or at least play right on the limits of the laws) with their constant off the ball fouling that goes on when they launch the ball into the other team's box. Goalkeepers are under immense pressure with these tactics. Looking forward to the day McGregor goes there for a game...

If nobody else in the EPL wants him, can Spurs have him please? That Gomes really is a bombscare every week!

Edit: that's Gordon, not McGregor!!!

Rudolf's Mate

Chelsea fan in work said to me that he was outstanding against them ad prevented it from being a cricket score. I watched the highlights and thought they we're being facetious as I thought he was bad ad look all over the place. Maybe they didn't show it all in the highlights, I dont know!

Yesterday he was terrible. He's good enough to bounce back and has done previously. Everyone has bad days and Smeichel & Van Der Sar are no different. If he's dropped then Bruce will also hae to replace his whole back line as he rightly blamed them also.

Nucky Thompson

I'm just watching MOTD just now and I couldn't see where the OP gets that the commentator is ripping Craig Gordon :unsure:

Craig had a nightmare but nobody was over critical of him.

ToadKiller Dog

In wet and windy conditions any keeper would struggle against the in yer face hoof ball of Stoke . Gordon was a bit weak on the first but there was a push on him and it was off side should not have stood . 2nd goal went in off the guys arm did it not and again a hint of off side on the initial ball .

Sunderland gave them to many chances to get balls in the box there own downfall not jut Gordons .

Oaaaft. just watched the highlights. Gordon was to blame with 3 of the goals in my opinion. Nightmare for him.

Steve Bruce "you need your goalkeeper to take command of the area".

One swallow doesn't make a summer, just like one bad game doesn't turn a really good goalkeeper into a crap one.

He was pretty mince yesterday and was exploited by Stoke pretty much as you would have expected.

gutted for Craig but he will bounce back. He's a top class keeper and he will show his talent. Every player has a poor game every now and then.

One bad game !

aye, simple as that. Just like outfield players, goalies can have bad days too.

It`s just that they are the last line of defence and mistakes are far more noticable.

But ask yourself, how many bad days can you remember him having? I`ve seen greats like Van der Sar have two or 3 games of uncertainty but they always bounce back with good long term form.

Thing is though, it must be really difficult to defend against 3 or 4 6ft odd man mountains at set-pieces like that, the defenders should be the ones doing better.

jack D and coke

Agree with all of that.

Only seen the highlights of today's game and he looked ropey but i think you would have to see him every week(i.e. be a Sunderland fan)to comment on his present form with any authority.

They're not overly fond of our Craig the mackems. Personally i dont think he's ever looked truly comfortable at Sunderland for whatever reason. He's never gave me the same impression whenever i watch him play for them as he does when he's playing for Scotland. I've seen him make plenty blunders and the people who claim him to be a far better keeper than McGregor need to take the maroon tinted specs off, he's not. A better person? Yes. A better keeper? No.

I used to always think he was but on recent form and i'm taking his injuries into account here, he's not unfortunately.

Lets get one thing straight here he's not miles better than Magregor! I've got them on a par. I also don't get how many jambos would have him in their all time Hearts team!

Excellent keeper as he is Antti Niemi was a far better keeper!

Gordon has the potential to be th best in the world but hasn't progressed to that as of yet!

He may need a move!!!

Lets get one thing straight here he's not miles better than Magregor! I've got them on a par. I also don't get how many jambos would have him in their all time Hearts team!

Gordon has the potential to be th best in the world but hasn't progressed to that as of yet!

He may need a move!!!

What is he? 28, 29 years old? Its time he progressed but I agree that a bigger move may actually better him. But i`d like to see how McGregor would cope in a league with bigger, stronger players and better forwards who hit balls earlier and have that touch of unexpectedness to catch goalies out.

How often does McGregor get that sort of pressure put upon him in the SPl? Not that long ago McGregor made a glaring mistake running out Zibby style in the Old Firm derby.

He may need a move!!!

I'm not having that. Macgregor is nowhere near Gordon as a player or a human being.

Listen there is no conpetition when if comes to the better Person Gordon pisses all over maggotregor in them stakes!

But ability wise they can't be separated! 2 excellent keepers on their day who make jaw dropping saves look very easy.

But like I say none of them in Niemi's league for me!!!!

You dont think Craig Gordon is worthy of a bit more respect than the 'Suderland goalkeeper'?.

The tone is obvious to be fair.

I do respect him,been down to Sunderland a couple of times to see him in action actually,but that don't change the fact he didn't play well yesterday,and I'm quite sure any criticism he's getting he will take it in his stride,which is more than can be said of you.

Stoke cruelly exposed what we all know to be CGs failing..............the fact he's never commanded his box.

Aye and I dare say there are many other EPL keepers who've had a rough ride there too.

However Craig looked about as keen to launch himself at those crosses as a ***** looking to catch the

brides wedding bouquet ?

Man U would be calling were it not for that weakness !

Dunno jayjay, Al McShagger isn't as bad as some folk on here make out but CG has made some saves that shagger couldn't even get close to

The gap isn't massive but CG definitely edges it, you also have to remember in the EPL it is more physical, folk shoot harder and more clinically so until the shagger goes down there it's not really comparing apples with apples

Sounness has just put all the blame on the defenders on Goals on Sunday

Bruce should also look at his tactics. He invited Stoke onto the 6 yard box all game especially by bringing in extra centre halves instead of playing the game higher up the pitch. Played right into Stokes hands.

Also re the Chelsea game did Craig sell the first because when i watched the second half Davie Provan said his effort at the 3rd was a wonder save

Dunno jayjay, Al McShagger isn't as bad as some folk on here make out but CG has made some saves that shagger couldn't even get close to

The gap isn't massive but CG definitely edges it, you also have to remember in the EPL it is more physical, folk shoot harder and more clinically so until the shagger goes down there it's not really comparing apples with apples

The shagger's defffo going too have to up his game then :woot:

At 6ft 3inches tall. Craig Gordon's biggest weakness(and no matter how much goalkeeping coaching he receives) will always be coming for the cross ball. I will repeat this until I am blue in the face. Craig Gordon does not use his mouth enough.

The one area on the pitch that is the goalkeeper's domain is the whole of the eighteen yard area. THE GOALKEEPER IS LORD AND MASTER IN THERE AND OVERULES ALL HIS TEAMMATES INCLUDING THE TEAM CAPTAIN. Craig Gordon doesnt do this and never will.

It is what stops him being mentioned in the same breath as Peter Schmeichel, Gordon Banks, Pat Jennings, Lev Yashin and in my personal opinion Jim Cruickshank. For a goalkeeper of his height crossballs should not be a weakness but they are and I think a little of it is down to Craig being afraid of getting hurt. Some might see this as a silly thing to say considering he has had two broken arms. Those who have played in goals at any level for a sustained period will or should know what I mean.

John

Everyone knows he is the best shot stopper around. I don't think he has progressed as much as I thought he would since he moved. He's always been shaky with corners and high balls but I really thought he'd bulk up a bit and sort this out....but he hasn't. It can't be an attitude problem, does he need a better GK coach or maybe a move? I don't think he's ever properly settled at Sunderland.

eh !

Just ..... eh !

Are you a Rangers supporter ?

No mate, just trying to be honest and objective.

But he has not always been shaky with high balls. He may often prefer to punch than catch, but that's often the safe thing to do. He's had a couple of injury issues at Sunderland, but he is a better keeper now than when he left Tynecastle. he has the best psitional sense of any keeper inthe UK and has improved further in his ability to organise he defence. Short of being a "Kello catcher", there is little more he could do to imrpove.

He had a bad game... it happens, he has far fewer bad games than the likes of McGregor.

At 6ft 3inches tall. Craig Gordon's biggest weakness(and no matter how much goalkeeping coaching he receives) will always be coming for the cross ball. I will repeat this until I am blue in the face. Craig Gordon does not use his mouth enough.

The one area on the pitch that is the goalkeeper's domain is the whole of the eighteen yard area. THE GOALKEEPER IS LORD AND MASTER IN THERE AND OVERULES ALL HIS TEAMMATES INCLUDING THE TEAM CAPTAIN. Craig Gordon doesnt do this and never will.

It is what stops him being mentioned in the same breath as Peter Schmeichel, Gordon Banks, Pat Jennings, Lev Yashin and in my personal opinion Jim Cruickshank. For a goalkeeper of his height crossballs should not be a weakness but they are and I think a little of it is down to Craig being afraid of getting hurt. Some might see this as a silly thing to say considering he has had two broken arms. Those who have played in goals at any level for a sustained period will or should know what I mean.

John

John - I disagree, you often see CG waving his arms and giving instruction.

Bruce's problem that Mignolet has had his own issues with crosses. In Decemeber's draw at Fulham, he made some good saves from point-blank but his flapping at crosses would have been punished by a better team.

John - I disagree, you often see CG waving his arms and giving instruction.

But, not often enough. He doesnt command his part of the pitch enough for me.

John

This has always been Gordon's weak point. His starting position is terrible for those kind of free kicks. He tends to start on or sometimes it looks like behind his line. He should be three yards off his line for me, so that when the ball drops in the six yard box he deals with it.

Very bad goals for a GK of his supposed class to be losing yesterday.

John

With all due respect John, I don't really think you've been paying attention ...the days of coming for crosses are far and away over. Yes, in and immediately around the six-yard box but rarely beyond unless obvious. The balls are just whipped in far too fast these days.

I'd also say that a lot of folks on here clearly seem to be mincing pants - CG is by far and away the best keeper that has played for Hearts, certainly in my time and that includes Niemi. He has improved dramatically at Sunderland and is now one of the best and most consistent keepers in that league.

Yesterday, the conditions, the tactics of both teams, and the performance of the ref made Gordon's job next to impossible. The 1st, on a good day he'd probably have gotten away with but dae da breaks. The other two no real chance ... the delivery on the third was unplayable.

I think the poorest performer yesterday was Steve Bruce. His team never performed as a team and they ended up retreating too deep. By all means be critical of the officials and be critical of the eleven but a manager should never single out the goalkeeper afterwards.

... and I'll add, if you watch the EPL (or is it the BPL) regularly you'll tend to see that those keepers that come out for crosses are generally cocking them up ... now not all are being punished by goals but some of the supposed golden boys like |Reina and Hart have been really quite poor in this respect ...they however have generally benefitted from better defences in front of them (tho obviously the current Liverpool version is somewhat suspect mind).

Stoke yesterday would probably be considered one of the biggest most physical teams (Jones, Carew, Huth, Shawcross for starters)ever to have played the game, and from set-pieces on a blustery day versus a team that are poor at defending in the air (Ferdinand and Bramble) Steve Bruce needs to be asking himself whether he chose the right tactics in generally sitting back (adding a fifth defender) and inviting what Stoke do best or trying to defend higher up the pitch. Criticize your own performance man.

Magic ... a supporter in the angel Gabriel.

With all due respect John, I don't really think you've been paying attention ...the days of coming for crosses are far and away over. Yes, in and immediately around the six-yard box but rarely beyond unless obvious. The balls are just whipped in far too fast these days.

I'd also say that a lot of folks on here clearly seem to be mincing pants - CG is by far and away the best keeper that has played for Hearts, certainly in my time and that includes Niemi. He has improved dramatically at Sunderland and is now one of the best and most consistent keepers in that league.

Yesterday, the conditions, the tactics of both teams, and the performance of the ref made Gordon's job next to impossible. The 1st, on a good day he'd probably have gotten away with but dae da breaks. The other two no real chance ... the delivery on the third was unplayable.

Spot on. I can't think of one keeper who actually dominates his area. Even guys like Cech and van der Sar leave it to their defenders.

The way to play Stoke has been to clear the area to avoid the melee that usually surrounds every throw in. Bruce messed up and is pointing the finger everywhere in the same way Roy Keane did.

I still think CG could have done better - and he could have been cuter by playing for a foul - but his defence were right on top of him and that was clearly a tactic of Brucies.

He made himself look rather foolish - positional sense was zero - everyone has a off game - Craig has has 2 in a row.Fact.

jack D and coke

I think the poorest performer yesterday was Steve Bruce. His team never performed as a team and they ended up retreating too deep. By all means be critical of the officials and be critical of the eleven but a manager should never single out the goalkeeper afterwards.

I agree 100% with you about criticising your own keeper but the more I watch it the more I get a pure beamer for him. Gordon looked like a schoolboy flapping about and making a James hunt of himself.

He's dropped for sure I feel. Just as i thought he might be finding his feet at last at Sunderland his confidence will be shattered again.

Seymour M Hersh

Howler from CG for the 1st but poor defending from Sunderland and really good crosses into the box for 2 and 3. There was no need for the defenders to run toward the goalkeeper at either.

He made himself look rather foolish - positional sense was zero - everyone has a off game - Craig has has 2 in a row.Fact.

When was the first one?

Again I cannot comment on Chelsea's first goal as I haven't seen it, but from what I watched of the latter end of the first half and all the second - he was very good.

Re the Stoke game - if it was played again tomorrow, I'm sure Craig would do things differently. It takes McGregor longer than one game to learn from mistakes and that's the difference between the 2.

From a Sunderland perspective 2 things spring to mind

Bruce encouraged the best set piece team in England on to the 6 yard box and

If you want to see an exceptionally poor goalkeeping performance - Mignolet single handedly got them knoocked out the FA Cup against Notts County by going walkabout the way keepers used to 20-30 years ago.

I think it is terrible that levein has not put CG back in goals for scotland he is by far the better goalie,just cause he had an injury means he cant get his place back,so if someone is off their work due to injury and then return are they told they not able to do that job anymore....its shocking get CG back and put alan mcgregor back were he belongs on the bench

Just looking at Carew's header there..................surely Craig could have advanced a yard further and had a punch at that ?

Still, maybe the goalie's thinking it's better to stay on your line and hope to get a chance to stop it

...........than get caught in the melee and have the ball drop into the empty net behind you, with the whole of

the watching world asking - "where the **** was the keeper"

He may need a move!!!

jayjay in defending Rangers player shocker. :whistling:

Gordon was at fault for the first goal on Saturday, I'll give him that, but the other 2 were bad pieces of defending coupled with 2 very good crosses by Pennant and I think that he'd have done well to save them IMO.

Gordon is better than McGregor. McGregor made a "save" on Sunday that the news have been calling outstanding....it hit him on the ******* head. That's not good goalkeeping or good reflexes, that's luck and suggesting that this cements his place as Scotland's no. 1 goalkeeper is ridiculous quite frankly.

Levein always comes out with the line that having players playing in the Premier League is good because they're coming up against the best of the best, Gordon's doing that every week and, by and large, doing very well. McGregor is up against, quite frankly, shite in comparison.

If/when McGregor moves to England then comparisons really can be made between the 2.

Sounness has just put all the blame on the defenders on Goals on Sunday

Bruce should also look at his tactics. He invited Stoke onto the 6 yard box all game especially by bringing in extra centre halves instead of playing the game higher up the pitch. Played right into Stokes hands.

Also re the Chelsea game did Craig sell the first because when i watched the second half Davie Provan said his effort at the 3rd was a wonder save

Souness is right, and much as I can't stand him he's forgotten more about football than we'll all ever know. The way the Sunderland defence was set up made the last 2 goals almost inevitable once the ball was delivered into the box in that manner. And these 2 balls in were perfect - just too short for the keeper to go for it, just too long for the defenders to jump and get it. Naive defending, but Stoke are good in the air and they play to their strengths...

Bungalow Bill

I always felt CG was poor at commanding his box when Jim Stewart was coaching him. When Malcolm Webster came to Hearts CG in my opinion progressed as a keeper. He now seems to have gone back to how he was under Stewarts coaching.

Save of the century one week and then an absolute mare another week.

At 6'3'' (I always thought he was 6'4''-6'5'') there is no excuse for him not collecting cross balls. He has an adavantage over all other players in that he can use his hands, why do people forget this? The ball is coming in the box faster but keepers should be getting better. Keepers in the future will need lightening reaction skills.

One poor game (and there's no doubt CG was at fault against Stoke, along with the entire Sunderland defence) doesn't suddenly make him a bad goalkeeper.

If Bruce drops him, that would be a disappointing knee jerk reaction.

There's no doubt in my mind that Craig Gordon is a better goalkeeper than McShagger, but until Gordon finds some consistency then McShagger will (rightly I'm afraid) retain the Scotland jersey.

Archived