Ian Black is Julian Brellier in disguise?

Rudolf's Mate

Rudolf's Mate

This is a question rather than me stating fact.

I was shocked by the amount of people who didn't like, rate or slated Le Judge for the bookings he picked up however I personally thought he was a very clever player and without him we all know Rudi & Hartley would not have had the freedom that they did.

No fast forward to Blackie. Another player who does the dirty work and gives his all however IMHO Blackie isn't as good as Brellier. Ok he's young and still learning however my point is not to put Blackie down! My point is the amount of people who ran Brellier into the ground was astounding yet the majority seem to now love Black. Is there a difference?

This is a question rather than me stating fact.

I was shocked by the amount of people who didn't like, rate or slated Le Judge for the bookings he picked up however I personally thought he was a very clever player and without him we all know Rudi & Hartley would not have had the freedom that they did.

No fast forward to Blackie. Another player who does the dirty work and gives his all however IMHO Blackie isn't as good as Brellier. Ok he's young and still learning however my point is not to put Blackie down! My point is the amount of people who ran Brellier into the ground was astounding yet the majority seem to now love Black. Is there a difference?

Last season Black was very poor indeed, and he was criticised for it. This season he is much improved. Your point about the bookings is valid - Black still has a tendency to get booked too much, although some might say that is an inevitable consequence of having to do a lot of the dirty work in a midfield that sometimes looks light on ball-winners. I've always felt that a lot of the criticism of Brellier was revisionist and highly politicised; he was clearly identifiable as a Burley pick and as such, his face no longer fitted with those who had convinced themselves that there was nothing amiss with the way that particular affair and its aftermath had been handled. Others will no doubt disagree with that view, but it's very hard to recall much criticism at all of Brellier before Burley went.

Rudolf's Mate

Last season Black was very poor indeed, and he was criticised for it. This season he is much improved. Your point about the bookings is valid - Black still has a tendency to get booked too much, although some might say that is an inevitable consequence of having to do a lot of the dirty work in a midfield that sometimes looks light on ball-winners. I've always felt that a lot of the criticism of Brellier was revisionist and highly politicised; he was clearly identifiable as a Burley pick and as such, his face no longer fitted with those who had convinced themselves that there was nothing amiss with the way that particular affair and its aftermath had been handled. Others will no doubt disagree with that view, but it's very hard to recall much criticism at all of Brellier before Burley went.

Spot on.

He's calmed down quite a bit, though, hasn't he? Aren't the cards he gets now for "committed" challenges rather than stupid, wasteful ones like kicking the ball away, running into the crowd (or, erm, wearing jewellery).

I think he's improved a lot and he's playing for a team he loves.

A Boy Named Crow

We were talking about this at Ibrox the other night. Black is risking becoming like Le Judge in the sense that he is getting a reputation for being our "enforcer". It was clear on Wednesday that he was getting away with nothing - even the clean tackles. The exact same thing happened to Brellier, which just made him less effective as time went on.

kingantti1874

I like Brellier especially when he snapped Scott brown inside 10 mins of derby but his challenge on Bruno in a bounce match was brutal

Criticised unfairly IMO. Casba tried to make him play a type of game that was foreign to him, when JJ came back he basically told him that Hearts had signed him for the type of football he played at Caley and to continue doing that hence he's bang on form again.

On another note, anyone else think Casba was a w@nk?

He might have been on the receiving end of some criticism last season (tame criticism at that) but I can't say i've heard him get anything other than praise this year really. People were quite forgiving and wanted to be able to support him I think, now they can and do.

Maybe I haven't read all the stuff on here about Wed night or whatever but he certainly received very vocal support from those who were at the game.

Was never all that keen on Brellier but I would say he had more in common with Mrowiec than Black and without a doubt Black has more ability than the 2 combined which is why he's become a far more important player this season

Archived