Steven Fletcher quits international footy

Better call Saul

JamboBornNBred

First ever post but been reading for ages....................

As regards too Fletcher................WHO?? He aint even a Scotland regular............... no loss there to be honest

Templeton'sUnderpants

Think its a bit stupid he hasn't been a Scotland regular and its a loss to us that the option of it is gone. Good player better than any of our other strikers imo.

First ever post but been reading for ages....................

As regards too Fletcher................WHO?? He aint even a Scotland regular............... no loss there to be honest

Firstly welcome to JKB. My cousins are Wolves season ticket holders according to them he's not liked much there.

Getting above himself ! :verymad:

too many footballers in the scotland team these days think they can just do this because they think they are bigger than the team

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3385417/Fletcher-texts-Levein-to-say-I-QUIT.html

Well, while we're on the subject, I too would like to announce my retirement from International Football. I'd like to thank the fans for their support but, at 35 years old, I would like to focus on my career in Shop Management/Pension Administration.

Victor Meldrew

How can he retire when he wasn't being picked anyway?

Maybe I should retire from International football too.....

Templeton'sUnderpants

Wes Brown did, if a player of that quality can I'm sure you could make front page news.

So far, Levein is making a mess of the Scotland job. Not just the iffy results but more the U turn taken on Bazza et al and the no strikers tactic against the Czechs. I'm not sure his personality is suited to managing players at International level.

Hope he turns it around obviously.

Hearts Machine

Granted Scotland won`t miss the odious, one-footed wee creep.

However, I`m still not over the famous 4-6-0 that has made us the laughing stock of International football. I`m not sure if I`d want to be involved in this either.

He was picked for next week, then he told Levein he didn't want to play. Levein has said he will only pick people who want to play for Scotland so it looks like Fletcher won't be selected again under him.

Remnants of Standards

Yeh, the international scene will be all the poorer without steven fletcher. How will we cope? Will no-one think of the children?

I think he's being a silly boy...Suppose it depends if he's done it because he's no happy about not being automatic first choice a la Boyd... or if it's more that he thinks this cup is a diddy tournament and he needs to try and dig in at Wolves then come back for Scotland stronger when the qualifiers come round again.

CL has shown already that his primary concern is getting the strongest possible Scotland squad he can. If Fletcher admitted he'd been a bell end and was 100% committed then I'm sure he'd get back in if his form merited it.

Well, while we're on the subject, I too would like to announce my retirement from International Football. I'd like to thank the fans for their support but, at 35 years old, I would like to focus on my career in Shop Management/Pension Administration.

happy retirement you'll be missed as much as fletcher will

Getting above himself ! :verymad:

too many footballers in the scotland team these days think they can just do this because they think they are bigger than the team

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3385417/Fletcher-texts-Levein-to-say-I-QUIT.html

I genuinely had to read that article twice as I read it first time in disbelief.

I used to like Fletcher aswell.

Let me get this straight, he is quiting, not due to age, not due to him being tired, not due to him wanting to spend time with family as he lives on the other side of the world, but he is quitting because...........

He is not first name on the team sheet and he doesn't like the manager's tactics?

What a horrible little Prima Dona. Who the **** does he think he is? Lionel Messi?

The wee prick is not even good enough to be a regular at Wolves.

I'd give up my right arm to even play 3 seconds for Scotland and that little nyaff is throwing the towel in.

Welcome to my new most hated Top Ten Steven - make yourself comfy.

The fact that Mcleod, Stein, Ferguson, Roxburgh, Brown, Vogts, Smith, McLeish, Burley and Levein have overlooked me since birth and also the fact that I am unhappy with performances the past 12 years I too would like to take my name out of the ring and declare myself retired.

I'm sorry if this comes as a bombshell to some on here, I really do apologise but I have put a lot of thought into it.

I wish every Hearts player would "Retire" from international Football, don't care what nationality, I don't want them picked for their country (Obua is the exception!! :whistling: ) Concentrate on REAL football with Hearts boys, **** your Country!! :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

Never really understand why players feel the need to make these self-important announcements when they are not automatic or regular picks. A quiet worl to Levein would do the job.

"I think I should have been first pick and I'm not so I'm off". Right. Talk about having tabs on yourself. What an absolute trumpet.

I'm distinctly underwhelmed.

He's a welt so on that basis he can GTFO

Kris Boyd can do one anaw... and McCulloch.

In fact, half the team are *****! Why do I support them again?

I'd just like to announce that I'm retiring from international football. It's a wrench, and I hope my country don't miss me - but I have other priorities to focus on now.

Well - seeing as Fletcher wasn't being picked anyway, what's the difference?

...but more the U turn taken on Bazza et al and the no strikers tactic against the Czechs. I'm not sure his personality is suited to managing players at International level.

Hope he turns it around obviously.

I agree with you re the Czech Republic game. Not only a tactical mess, but a PR disaster too.

I do think that Levein was right to court Barry Ferguson though. He's still a good player and would walk into that Scotland team. IMO.

Johanes de Silentio

He isn't Scotland class anyway, and that says something with how shit they are!!

What an absolute FUD!

Gordon Ramsay

What an arsehole, he could have been a good player for us in the future but hes ruined his Scotland career cause hes in a huff. Total cockend.

There was plenty of this sort of stuff when Levein was Hearts manager.

Suspect Fletcher is well aware that Levein won't be there for an awful lot longer anyway.

Johanes de Silentio

If I may, I would like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from international football.

I would like to extend my best wishes to Craig Levein, the players, and to the Tartan Army.

They will NEVER take our FREEDOM.

(I didn't see Shaun's post until now - I never read them! ;) )

I'd just like to announce that I'm retiring from international football. It's a wrench, and I hope my country don't miss me - but I have other priorities to focus on now.

Well - seeing as Fletcher wasn't being picked anyway, what's the difference?

If it wasn't for Emile Heskey, Shaun - you might just have sneaked in.

The boy is clearly a total ****.

Out of interest though, who would be playing for Scotland ahead of him? It's not a position we have a lot of decent talent in. Mackie from QPR? Miller/Boyd? We've not got that much up top and their are a few decent wingers coming through needing a big guy to put it in? Kyle for Scotland?

Seen it all before.

For players, international football just isnt as important as it was 10/15 years ago.

He isnt retired, he is asking not to picked under Levein. Levein will be punted soon and he will be recalled. Mark my words.

There was plenty of this sort of stuff when Levein was Hearts manager.

Suspect Fletcher is well aware that Levein won't be there for an awful lot longer anyway.

:rolleyes:

Like what, exactly? Meanwhile, Scotland still have a perfectly decent chance of finishing 2nd and getting into the play-offs. I'd love Levein to prove the doubters wrong.

Like what, exactly? Meanwhile, Scotland still have a perfectly decent chance of finishing 2nd and getting into the play-offs. I'd love Levein to prove the doubters wrong.

Would be delighted if he proves me wrong. But he won't. Not when he puts in the most cowardly managerial performance in Scottish football history and crows about it afterward.

As for fall outs - how about McSwegan, Jackson, Janczyk/Weir, Valois. Also thought that he mismanaged the likes of Fulton and Severin.

One ridiculously lucky win against Liechtenstien, one drab draw with Lithuania, one utter humiliation in the Czech Republic and a decent 20 minutes against Spain where we ultimately lost.

He deserves criticism. 4 pts is the very, very least we should have got from those fixtures. And we couldn't have complained had we only got 2 pts. We are behind schedule.

I wanted him to get the job but for me he is already hanging by a thread, and deservedly so.

As for Fletcher, I was surprised with the fee Wolves paid for him. I think Championship will ultimately be his level. But Scotland do not have a lot of options up front so it's not ideal to have one of our better options make himself unavailable.

One ridiculously lucky win against Liechtenstien, one drab draw with Lithuania, one utter humiliation in the Czech Republic and a decent 20 minutes against Spain where we ultimately lost.

He deserves criticism. 4 pts is the very, very least we should have got from those fixtures. And we couldn't have complained had we only got 2 pts. We are behind schedule.

But you still have a perfectly decent chance of 2nd. Hence my argument. It isn't decided at the beginning; it's decided after a full eight matches.

But you still have a perfectly decent chance of 2nd. Hence my argument. It isn't decided at the beginning; it's decided after a full eight matches.

Indeed it is decided at the end.

However I feel the start has meant it is very much an uphill task already. And from some of the stuff we've seen so far I'm not at all confident.

I of course hope to be proved wrong.

FWIW I wanted Levein to get the job.

Would be delighted if he proves me wrong. But he won't. Not when he puts in the most cowardly managerial performance in Scottish football history and crows about it afterward.

As for fall outs - how about McSwegan, Jackson, Janczyk/Weir, Valois. Also thought that he mismanaged the likes of Fulton and Severin.

Fulton mismanaged himself a good deal of the time. Wonderful player, but it was embarrassing how often he was out of shape. If only he could've passed a chip shop as well as he passed a football...

Valois' commitment was somewhat questionable too. I didn't like how Levein handled McSwegan - but good grief man! You spend half your time on here complaining that Levein didn't cut costs enough (while ignoring that his budget was much lower than JJ's); then you complain how he treated McSwegan or Jacko, both of whom were too old and had to be removed from the wage bill. Make your mind up.

Jacko, if you recall, had already been frozen out because one more game would've automatically meant a new contract for him. That happened in the final weeks of JJ's first spell here. That Levein got rid as soon as he arrived was inevitable: we couldn't afford Jackson's wages, and he just wasn't value for money by that stage in any way.

Fulton mismanaged himself a good deal of the time. Wonderful player, but it was embarrassing how often he was out of shape. Valois' commitment was somewhat questionable too. I didn't like how Levein handled McSwegan - but good grief man! You spend half your time on here complaining that Levein didn't cut costs enough (while ignoring that his budget was much lower than JJ's); then you complain how he treated McSwegan or Jacko, both of whom were too old and had to be removed from the wage bill. Make your mind up.

Jacko, if you recall, had already been frozen out because one more game would've automatically meant a new contract for him. That happened in the final weeks of JJ's first spell here. That Levein got rid as soon as he arrived was inevitable: we couldn't afford Jackson's wages, and he just wasn't value for money by that stage in any way.

All this is symptomatic of how Levein acts.

So far with Scotland he has fallen out with Fletcher. He failed to get Barry Ferguson back. I suspect there will be more going forward.

All this is symptomatic of how Levein acts.

So far with Scotland he has fallen out with Fletcher. He failed to get Barry Ferguson back. I suspect there will be more going forward.

Both Fletcher and Ferguson are symptomatic of the player power that developed under Burley. Levein's grappling with years of decline, no tournaments reached since 1998, and players with atrocious attitudes to playing for their country. To expect him to sort all that out immediately is ludicrous.

So Make Some Noise..

I think footballers shoot themselves in the foot a bit with this rediculous "I retire" from international duties pash. Fletcher has been left out of the last few Levein squads, and it has always raised a few eyebrowes, with people questioning whether its wise or not. If left out for personality clash or any other non football reason, I reckon the player should keep his trap shut, continue to take the sympathy from certain fans who feel they should maybe be there, and prove his bloody worth to the nation, leaving the manager in question with a major headache. Imagine Fletcher scored 20+ goals in the premiership next season, what would levein do? (besides waking up cos yes i am aware this will never happen). In my opinion any player who comes out in the press and "retires" under the current regime should not be considered in the future and is simply a ****, which sums up Steven the ****' quiete nicely actually.

Both Fletcher and Ferguson are symptomatic of the player power that developed under Burley. Levein's grappling with years of decline, no tournaments reached since 1998, and players with atrocious attitudes to playing for their country. To expect him to sort all that out immediately is ludicrous.

I do not expect a manager to set up without a striker, with every player in defensive positions, in a craven attempt to scrape a 0-0 draw against a team which was well into decline. It was outrageous for Scotland to set up in such a pathetically small manner.

He had no European football record, was a miserable failure in English football, has won no trophies, a poor record in cup competitions and has a questionable attitude to player motivation (something which is starting to become obvious with Ferguson/Fletcher). He should never have been appointed Scotland manager.

Then again perhaps he will surprise and will improve the side. No sign of that yet though - a year in.

I think footballers shoot themselves in the foot a bit with this rediculous "I retire" from international duties pash. Fletcher has been left out of the last few Levein squads, and it has always raised a few eyebrowes, with people questioning whether its wise or not. If left out for personality clash or any other non football reason, I reckon the player should keep his trap shut, continue to take the sympathy from certain fans who feel they should maybe be there, and prove his bloody worth to the nation, leaving the manager in question with a major headache. Imagine Fletcher scored 20+ goals in the premiership next season, what would levein do? (besides waking up cos yes i am aware this will never happen). In my opinion any player who comes out in the press and "retires" under the current regime should not be considered in the future and is simply a ****, which sums up Steven the ****' quiete nicely actually.

Agree with all of this. Sheer stupidity from the player.

Then again he will have seen the likes of Weir swan back in. So he will think why shouldn't he have a go at the manager, knowing the Levein will be booted soon enough anyway.

Archived