Steven Fletcher quits international footy

Better call Saul

I do not expect a manager to set up without a striker, with every player in defensive positions, in a craven attempt to scrape a 0-0 draw against a team which was well into decline. It was outrageous for Scotland to set up in such a pathetically small manner.

He had no European football record, was a miserable failure in English football, has won no trophies, a poor record in cup competitions and has a questionable attitude to player motivation (something which is starting to become obvious with Ferguson/Fletcher). He should never have been appointed Scotland manager.

Then again perhaps he will surprise and will improve the side. No sign of that yet though - a year in.

He did as well in Europe with us as anyone has since 1989. He laid all the foundations for Dundee United's Cup win, arguably laid a number of the foundations for our most recent Cup win, and attacking him for not winning anything is in any case a daft argument. Are Peter Houston, John Collins, Davie Hay or Bobby Williamson better because they did win something, Coco?

You continually ignore the context behind what happened at Leicester (JJ failed at Bradford too. Why do you never mention this?); and Scotland's display against Spain ought to have shut up those panning him for what happened in Prague, against a backdrop of an away record which has been embarrassing for many years. I swear, even if Scotland qualify for 2012, people will still be going on about it.

I am totally disgusted by Fletcher's attitude. Who the hell does the wee ****** think he is?

If I were Levein, though, I'd still be making that phone call. Scotland don't have enough good players that we can afford to lose any of them. If all Fletcher wants is a little reassurance, give it to him. If he's having a tantrum about not being picked, though, he doesn't deserve to play for us.

Contrast his attitude with his namesake Darren, who turns up whenever and wherever asked and plays in whatever position he's asked, and never makes a fuss. Or Alan McLaren, who once reported for Scotland duty when he was injured and could barely walk.

Archived